PDA

View Full Version : Stock "Power Cell" batts. run HOT!!!

Checkmateguy01
06-12-2011, 10:04 PM
I've noticed that the stock Power Cells have been getting pretty hot, again my set-up is still all stock except for the cooling and X442 prop. My last run, charged up the Power Cells nice and full (10.35V in each), had perfect water and ran the boat pretty hard for a few minutes. I really don't know how long i ran for, but the when i brought the boat in it had just statred to show signs of slowing down. Opended her up and the batts were HOT. Grabbed my laser temp guage and they were reading about 150*!! After they cooled down i stuck them on the charger just to see what the voltage was the both were still at 9.0V, so i know i didn't over discharge them. Honeslty the boat runs great with the Power Cells, i'm just a little worried they are getting to hot. My DTX5000 Druratrax do not get anywhere near as hot, but the wierd part is i get about half the run time than i do with the 3000mah Power Cells. The boat will start out a little faster with the DTX's but it falls off pretty quickly. Even tho the Power Cells are getting hot the motor is staying nice and cool at about 80*.

dana
06-12-2011, 10:09 PM
nimh cells get hot. thats what they do. if youre charginf your dtx 5000 packs at 5 amps, try giving them a charge at 1 amp. it will take all night but should refresh the batteries

roadrashracing
06-12-2011, 11:45 PM
Mine get to 160 sometimes.

Checkmateguy01
06-13-2011, 07:22 AM
Wow, 160* huh? Yeah, i talked to a buddy of mine at work and he said the same thing, NIMH's run hot, that's just the way it is. I thought i read somewhere tho that anything over 130* was really bad, maybe that was just for motors/ESC's. My 6 cells have gotten pretty hot in my SV27 before too.

Roadrash...I've got about 10 or so runs on my Spartan so far, no probalems yet. You're still running the stock motor and ESC in your too, correct? How's yours holding together?

Champy
06-13-2011, 09:48 AM
I'm really curious about how your boats are running stock. Have you tried 6s?

roadrashracing
06-13-2011, 09:48 AM
everything is still stock, still running strong.

Diesel6401
06-13-2011, 06:33 PM
The 3000mah batteries don't produce enough amps for the system. They are being over worked, which is why they are so hot. Your dtx cells maybe a little older and have a bit of cycles on them. Try the above mentioned charge rate of 1.0amp, they could be false peaking a little on the charge. I could be wrong on both though, wouldn't be the first time that happened lol.

Checkmateguy01
06-13-2011, 07:50 PM
LOL actually my DTX batteries are just as new as the power cells, they have they same number of runs on both sets of batts. The Power Cells have come to life and the boat runs great, good run time with out much drop in speed. The DTX's start out faster for maybe a minute then slow down quick. After just a couple of minutes the boat is maybe 50% power, and its a gradual slow down not the ESC pulling out power, as far as i can tell. How much wieght would i lose going to a pair of 2s (4s total) Lipos?? The weight really helps in the water conditions i run, i don't want to lighten the boat up to much.

dana
06-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Not much, but a HUGE difference in performance. Leave a power cell pack in there as added weight if you feel the need

Diesel6401
06-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Or go to 4s2p if you really need the extra weight. Either performance is going to be night and day

Brushless55
06-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Or go to 4s2p if you really need the extra weight. Either performance is going to be night and day

I agree, as this is a great way to add performance and keep the boat on the water plus longer runtimes!!
a Win Win...