PDA

View Full Version : What prop with 2300kv

Stinger9D9
06-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Hey All,

I just picked up an MC hull and hardware in the Swap Shop. I already have a spare Tactic receiver and a couple of motors, but I need a few prop suggestions.

I was thinking of going with this Ammo 2300kv motor I have:
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dh-gpmg5290

That motor's always been a bit too much of a handfull in my SV on 4S, but it might work pretty well in the MC.

I'm not planning on anything crazy here - just close to stock MC speeds on 4S with what I have kicking around (until I buy a stock MC motor, or an 1800kv Leopard motor).

So with the Ammo 2300kv motor on 4s on a Turnigy 80a ESC, what size prop do you guys think would be good for close to stock speeds?

Stinger9D9
06-13-2011, 09:47 PM
No ideas? 440 2 blade? 437 3 blade? Heck, I even have a couple 40mm CF props.

Oh well, I guess I'll hold off on buying anything until I try a couple with the 2300kv motor (on the Watts Up meter of course).

Diesel6401
06-13-2011, 10:03 PM
Hey All,

I just picked up an MC hull and hardware in the Swap Shop. I already have a spare Tactic receiver and a couple of motors, but I need a few prop suggestions.

I was thinking of going with this Ammo 2300kv motor I have:
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dh-gpmg5290

That motor's always been a bit too much of a handfull in my SV on 4S, but it might work pretty well in the MC.

I'm not planning on anything crazy here - just close to stock MC speeds on 4S with what I have kicking around (until I buy a stock MC motor, or an 1800kv Leopard motor).

So with the Ammo 2300kv motor on 4s on a Turnigy 80a ESC, what size prop do you guys think would be good for close to stock speeds?

No ideas? 440 2 blade? 437 3 blade? Heck, I even have a couple 40mm CF props.

Oh well, I guess I'll hold off on buying anything until I try a couple with the 2300kv motor (on the Watts Up meter of course).

What exact esc, show a link. Turnigy is just a name HK makes up they don't physically make anything.

Ammo 2300, I wouldn't run it. I think the boat is a tad to big for the motor. I never cared for that motor in the SV, I think it's better in boats 21"-25" range. I would go with a bigger can, not smaller. The stock MC motor is a much MUCH better motor then the ammo 2300, don't let the kv rating fool you. THa'ts just my 2 cents, although I could be wrong. Have been before will be again....

Stinger9D9
06-14-2011, 05:46 AM
Yeah, I had a feeling the 2300 was too much spin, not enough torque.

The ESC is one of these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3727

It's not fancy (actually a re-purposed airplane ESC) but I've good luck drawing consistently over 60 amps with a couple other of my boats - and it's what I have on hand.

Due to the postal strike, I'm shying away from ordering for the next little while. I do have an old blue can stock SV27 motor. I might give that a try just to get the boat wet, but in the long run, I'm thinking a Seaking 180a ESC and Leopard motor combo will find a home in that hull

Fluid
06-14-2011, 07:15 AM
I agree that the Ammo 2300 is too much motor, it will eventually toast the little Turnigy. Just because you have gotten away with over-amping the ESC does not mean it will last forever. That kind of damage can be cumulative, the ESC will succumb. If you insist on the Ammo motor, stick with an x438 or x440.

The SV27 motor (not the "R" motor I assume) will work in this hull, try an x642 or m545 prop. Actually, the stock 1800 Kv motor is a pretty darn good match for the hull.

Stinger9D9
06-14-2011, 07:08 PM
I agree that the Ammo 2300 is too much motor, it will eventually toast the little Turnigy. Just because you have gotten away with over-amping the ESC does not mean it will last forever. That kind of damage can be cumulative, the ESC will succumb. If you insist on the Ammo motor, stick with an x438 or x440.

The SV27 motor (not the "R" motor I assume) will work in this hull, try an x642 or m545 prop. Actually, the stock 1800 Kv motor is a pretty darn good match for the hull.

I agree the stock motor would be good, but I don't have one on hand.

I have a couple 2 blade X440s laying around, but even they may be too much with 2300kv on 4s for that ESC.

I'll give the old SV27 motor a shot - I was worried that the X642 might be a bit much - isn't the MC a fair bit more hull to push around than an SV27?

Maybe I should start off with an X437 3 blade or 42mm carbon prop to play it safe (watching the amps) and go up from there.

In the long run, since I'll need to buy a motor anyway, instead of buying a stock MC motor, should I spend the extra $20 for a long can Leopard 36mm motor of similar kv? What would be the benefit if I do? (Cooler running, longer run times, being able to reliably turn a somewhat larger prop, stuff like that?)

wparsons
06-18-2011, 09:53 AM
I ran an m445 on a 26" mono with an SV27 motor/esc and it didn't even get warm. That little motor has gobs of power in it.