PDA

View Full Version : Lipo Charger

arrowskartax9
06-10-2011, 07:26 PM
Hi guys, I have a Swallow charger that only charges up to 6000mah and my Hyperion Batts are 18.5v 6500mah. Will this charger charge the batts fully or would you recomend a good Hyperion charger and what one.
Thanks,
Chris

Boaterguy
06-10-2011, 11:05 PM
Chargers shouldn't charge at mAh, thye charge at certain amperage, you can charge at 6 Amps, it will take longer than if you were to charge at 6.5, but if it's all you can do, it'll work, just watch the temps as you're pushing your charger.
(ive never done this so most of this is theory)

kookie_guy
06-10-2011, 11:30 PM
I'm partial to hyperion chargers because that's all I've ever used, so I'd say get yourself a hyperion. It'll be the last charger you buy, as they are very powerful.

But like boaterguy said, can you clear up what you posted? If it can charge at a max RATE of 6000mah (or 6A), it'll be fine, it'll just take a little longer. If the highest capacity you can set for the lipo pack is 6000mah, then you will be giving up the additional 500mah, and will never get a full charge.

FloatDaBoat
06-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Your charger may have a mAh limit per charging session. If that's the case, it would automatically cut-off after delivering 6,000 mAh to a pack. Unless you're over discharging the 6,500 mAh packs, you should'nt have to put that much back in after each use.

Boaterguy
06-11-2011, 08:47 AM
even once it cuts off, just set it again for another 500mAh, most chargers detect when the batts are fully charged and should cut off if you only discharged say 6300mAh

SweetZ28
06-11-2011, 09:31 AM
you should be fine with a 6500 pack you will never discharge 6000MAH out of it and only have 500mah left in the battery so you charger will be good to go.

785boats
06-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Chris.
The Swallow will fully charge your pack. All it means is that it will only be charging at 6 amps up until the constant voltage point is reached in the charging cycle & that will only take a little longer than if you were charging at 6.5A. The rest of the charge cycle will be the same as if you were charging at 6.5A as the current is slowly dropping until fully charged.
The slower charge rate is actually good for the battery.
The main thing to watch out for is that the timer cut off in the charger is set for longer than than packs take to charge. Don't know what the default setting is, but 60 minutes is a common setting. You will probably need it to be about 90 minutes. Depends on how depleted the packs are. The charger should tell you if it cut out on timer at the end of a cycle & you can adjust it to suit.
Cheers.
Paul.