PDA

View Full Version : what should i do??????

tman
06-09-2011, 11:11 PM
I just got me a Spartan last weekend and have been reading a lot about this boat. I find myself thinking this was a mistake. I have someone who will give me the money that was paid for it (never been driven or touched water). I like the looks but thinking of getting a genesis boat or king of sheaves boat. What do yall think? Keep or buy something else........ I like the size and the look but the issues are deterring me away from this boat. What are some good boats that r just as fast?

Thanks in advance..

chadrob30
06-09-2011, 11:19 PM
The boat is pretty much junk in stock form. The only way you'll really be able to enjoy it is by only running stick packs through it or just babying it around a lake. In order for the boat to do what Traxxas says it will do you'll need to sink a few hundred more dollars into it. If you're not able to do that I would just sell it and get a better quality boat. *this is just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt, lol.

tman
06-09-2011, 11:27 PM
I am at that point to just go back to the drawing board. What do you think of the genesis boats?

chadrob30
06-09-2011, 11:57 PM
I am at that point to just go back to the drawing board. What do you think of the genesis boats?

You'll have to wait for one of the experienced boaters to chime in. The Spartan is my first hobby grade boat...and after dumping an extra $300 into the thing it better do my laundry, cut my grass, do the dishes and whatever else I ask it to, lol.

dag-nabit
06-10-2011, 01:04 AM
I have to admit that both my daughter and I are enjoying running our Spartans, but I can't, in good conscience, recommend this boat because of all the mods required to make it reliable.

After modding all the stock electrical components out of the boat, and running within it's limits, it is fast, fun, and very stable. But try pushing it too much and it chine walks and gets pretty hairy (some guys are finding adding extra trim tabs is helping the high speed stability)

The Genesis hull seems to be pretty good. I am running a Fightercat Daytona (Genesis) hull (same hull as the HK Genesis, but you have to build it from scratch)

The Genesis is fast and pretty stable. I don't like the 4mm drive setup on the Genesis and I'm looking to mod it so it is a one piece drive system. I also went with a 4082 1500kv motor. I think the HK version comes with a 3674 2200kv motor.

I'm considering an Osprey for a project next winter.

My Spartan mods are posted in this forum. http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=23741

My Fightercat "build" is here. http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=25570

These threads (and others here) may give you some ideas.

You may find that no matter what boat you buy, you will find yourself wanting to upgrade or mod some aspects of the boat. But with the current version of the Spartan it is more a requirement, rather than a desire, if you want a reliable setup.

Personally, I would vote for dumping the Spartan, and going with something more reliable.

Kevin

tman
06-10-2011, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the info..... what is a good boat that is of size like the Spartan?

dag-nabit
06-10-2011, 08:31 AM

The Genesis is similar in size at 37" long.

That is the only one I have experience with that is about the same size.

The Osprey is also similar length if you want to stay with a V hull.

Neither the Genesis or Osprey is RTR, you have to add your own ESC and radio components. And, as I mentioned above, I'm personally not a fan of the 4mm 2 piece drive system used on these boats.

The Rio 51 is bigger than the Spartan, I have no experience with it though, and not sure if it is even available as an electric boat. I think Brushless55 posted a pic of his boats and had a Rio in it. Maybe he will chime in and give you an opinion on it. Brushless and a few others have lots of experience with a variety of FE boats, so I'm sure you will get some sound advice on a good alternative over the next few days.

Kevin

tman
06-10-2011, 09:20 AM
Cool, I will wait for those members to reply. I really like the genesis but rather a v hull but I am open to others at this point.

martin
06-10-2011, 02:49 PM
The Osprey is rtr from Hor i know i got one. The Osprey is a much larger boat than the Spartan or Genisis but you woulnt want the motor or esc that they fit as its much to small for that size boat, By the way it comes with a Leopard 4072 2200kv & 120amp Seaking esc. Its a big boat when you see one in the flesh & you need to fit a big motor in the Osprey to get any sort of speed. What they have been fitting in them to keep costs down a bit is the Leopard 5692 1340kv on 6s with a T180 esc to get around 52mph. You also need quite large capacity lipos to get any run time with this motor as well. Martin.

Diesel6401
06-10-2011, 05:21 PM
I suggest dump the Spartan asap while you can. There are much MUCH better boats for the price.

I have/had the Gensis and it was ok for the straights, but I didn't care for it in the turns. I am in the process of building up a Osprey now. Looks good, I sold leopard motor it came with (4074 2200kv). I really love that motor I have one in a different boat, but it is WAY to small for that osprey. A leopard 5692 like Martin is running is much better, I will be running a CC1717 in mine. One of my FAV boats in the Pursuit 32" mono from Kintecracing, great running hull very well build (TFL hobbies makes it as well as the osprey and genesis) and will out run that spartan anyday of the week. I am running low 50mph on 4s2p. http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=24874

Rcforever27
06-10-2011, 08:50 PM
How much is the boat with everything except the radio/ servo? Looks like a great boat! Will it run on 6s ok?

Rcforever27
06-10-2011, 09:06 PM
& where do you buy it from? There's no purchase button on www.kintecracing.com...does that mean theyrevout of stock? Any other sites that carry them? Thanks!

dag-nabit
06-10-2011, 10:17 PM
& where do you buy it from? There's no purchase button on www.kintecracing.com...does that mean theyrevout of stock? Any other sites that carry them? Thanks!

Yes, when there is no stock the add to cart button disappears.

Kevin

MfizzleS62
06-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Venom kos p1 !!! Ive really been enjoying mine I'm very happy with my purchase... Btw the customer service is A++++ in my book...

Im probably running in the mid to upper 30s with 2 nimh 8.4 packs gonna step it up to 4s lipo soon!!! Btw no overheating but I did have a esc go bad one of the resistors popped and venom cs sent me a new one !!!

I had a Spartan on order sine it first came out then canceled... It was winter then... when I decided to re back order a month ago I didn't want to wait or drop another $400 into it I got the p1

tman
06-11-2011, 09:13 AM
I have just found a venom king of sheaves c1 is this a good boat? I may get it today of it is. Just want to make the right decision this time.

Brushless55
06-11-2011, 01:30 PM

34" Insane :rockon2:
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=23435

tman
06-14-2011, 10:19 PM
do they have any nice v hull boats that r 34+ in size out there?

LarrysDrifter
06-14-2011, 10:25 PM
34" Insane :rockon2:
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=23435

Mine is on the way!!! All I need is a cooling jacket and I'm ready to build.

Brushless55
06-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Mine is on the way!!! All I need is a cooling jacket and I'm ready to build.

Very cool man!
What are you using for power?