PDA

View Full Version : Sorry Guys!!!!

Steven Vaccaro
04-23-2007, 07:26 PM
We were down about 7 hours today. The new host sucks at best. Anyone tells you to use a company called midphase, tell them the stick! This is the second issue in 1 month. We are looking for a new host.

Drunken Pirate
04-23-2007, 07:47 PM
I had just received the funding to purchase a Triton II Charger. I tried all morning to get on to buy one here but I couldn't. I purchased one from Tower's instead. I am sorry.

The good news is that now your back up I can buy the Jeti ESC I want.

I hope you find a good host Steven!

boater76
04-23-2007, 08:14 PM
I was wondering what in the world was going on. I wanted to post something and look for some more stuff.

Ken

Piranha2
04-23-2007, 08:20 PM
No problem Steven, like I said, "you can never have enough ESC's"......thanks !

avengersteve
04-23-2007, 08:27 PM
wow, that clears things up... i thought my internet was messing up

brooks93
04-23-2007, 09:35 PM
steve I use http://theistudio.com/

haven't had a single problem for 3 years.

admin
04-24-2007, 07:03 AM
Thanks Kelly I will look into it.

ebfoxbat
04-24-2007, 09:17 AM
I'd suggest you look into www.cyberland-usa.com their support rivals your own!

lferguson
04-24-2007, 09:22 AM
Steven, Godaddy is the way to go. We have a dedicated server for going on five years now, only had a total of 17 minutes down time al five years. It's a bit pricey but is very reliable. They also have vertual dedicated serves and normal hosting packages as well. godaddy.com

brooks93
04-24-2007, 09:34 AM
theistudio is partners with godaddy for domain transfer's

ebfoxbat
04-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Steven, Godaddy is the way to go

I advise against Godaddy. I know 2 people who have had their domains taken with no help from godaddy.

lferguson
04-24-2007, 11:08 AM
had their domains taken
What does that even mean? Do you mean they expired? or was there a domain heist, like a now you have a domain, now you don't thing?

Steven Vaccaro
04-24-2007, 11:16 AM
Domains are very, very tricky and sleazy biz. My buddy started online in its infancy with his sign shop. One day he gets an email saying the hosting company was purchased and you have to pay 5k for the domain. He didn't pay. Now it belongs to a *!***!***!***!** site. No joke. The url has the word "sign" in it and has nothing to do with *!***!***!***!**. But he was getting about 5k worth of hits each month. I stay with register.com for my domains. They are ridiculously expensive, but my peace of mind is worth every penny!

ice329
04-24-2007, 11:20 AM
Just a suggestion, look into what yahoo has to offer.

admin
04-24-2007, 11:36 AM
The problem is the database. Shared hosting(what most smaller sites have) is normally not a problem and never was with the old site. The new site uses a database for the products and the forum. Right now the MAX number of people in that database is set to 40 users.
That's split between the products and forum. The max is being hit at some points of the day and giving us errors. The crash wasn't related, but did put fire under my a%^*& to move the forum to another host.

SJFE
04-24-2007, 11:53 AM
I agree with the forum move. This thing has takin on a life of its own. Then you have guys who live on it..and the store..(I wouldent know anything about that). You have enough users to keep an active FE chat room open. I wonder who could host something like that??....lol

Steven Vaccaro
04-24-2007, 12:33 PM
Right now the forum is a subdomain that's the reason the url looks like this
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/ That wouldn't change. As a matter of fact the end user would have no idea that the 2 places are kept separate.

As far as chat goes, let me look into it. Should be to hard to do.

Drunken Pirate
04-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Steven,

About your data needs... Are you talking an MSSQL 2k,5k? Or are you talking MYSQL, Firebird, Berkley open source stuff?

You are correct, if you have data needs then you have just drawn a line in the sand for hosting companies.

Go daddy is a good slut cheapo alternative for hosting data stores. Most people that use them don't have a problem. Though there are some that do. They are also known to shut down a site they are hosting at the first sign of DMCA trouble.

I don't know what kind of setup you have at home But you could use something like Dyndns and set up your server at home. But unless you have some nice bandwidth and a dedicated power monster I doubt you could serve the standard ammount of users you normally get.

But if you want quality hosting with data services, like all things, it's gonna cost more, as I am very sure you already know.

I don't recommend anyone but i can sure give you my two cents on them.

I have two servers at home, a LFS Linux system running Apache, Firebird, and Mono (two pII copermine 600's, very cheap and powerful) and another windows based server running MSSQL 5k and IIS. My domain is registered with Dyndns. I like that setup very much.

Good luck.

Steven Vaccaro
04-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the input. You are correct, I'm talking mssql. Problem is I have no idea about that stuff, accept for that I need it. Home is out of the question. I just have too much on my plate to take something like that on.

Drunken Pirate
04-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Ok, I just asked a few of my fellows for some hosting ideas for PHP and MSSQL servers.

http://www.discountasp.net Looks like a good place. They have redundant servers and connections on their end, that means no down time. They serve PHP as well as asp.net and an entire slew of DB's including MSSQL. Looks like they have a very nice sql migration tool.

If I were to suggest something.. and I am not, just informing.. I might suggest these guys.

Steven Vaccaro
04-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Just spoke to my website guy, he says we need a MySQL host.