PDA

View Full Version : proboat Miss Elam prop strut replacement

airman
06-09-2011, 04:07 PM
I was wondering if anyone needed to replace a prop strut for a better quality one.Proboat doesn't offer anything , did anyone find a strut to replace the stock with something better, maybe an aluminium or stainless strut with adjustable height.
Please help!

Darin Jordan
06-09-2011, 04:20 PM
I was wondering if anyone needed to replace a prop strut for a better quality one.Proboat doesn't offer anything , did anyone find a strut to replace the stock with something better, maybe an aluminium or stainless strut with adjustable height.
Please help!

The short answer is NO... you have to fab a mount, or modify the transom, to install something else.

However, I'm in the process of learning a bit about Nitro by racing in our Sport 18 RTR class a ProBoat Formula with .18 Nitro motor, and what I did on this boat was fab up some shims of different thicknesses, which I can install under the strut to lower it down.

I also pushed out the stock bushings and ran a 1/4" end-mill through the strut housing and pressed in some standard .250" OD x .1875" ID lead-teflon bushings. I then used my lathe to open up the hole in the cone on the end of the flex cable to .1875", and am now using a standard 3/16" stub shaft. I have two, in fact... one 3/16" stepped down to 1/8" and another that is straight 3/16", so fitting props is not an issue any longer.