PDA

View Full Version : wire drive

dascoadams
06-07-2011, 11:14 AM
What wire drive and coupler do I get from Jeff whole for the Spartan...and do I need a step down or what...a link to the exact one would be greatly appreciated..thanks

Rcforever27
06-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Www.wholtsrcboats.com i believe...... I'm using his Spartan .187 cable with the stock brass tube with the liner removed.the only thing you'll need also is the motor coupler for a.187 cable to a 5mm motor shaft....not 100% about the outdrive if it'll fit . I'm using a speedmaster .187 stinger drive so I'm not sure if that cable will fit the stock outdrive. He also has a .150 cable as well...hopefully some more experienced guys will chime i'n and help you further.... Good luck!!!!

GP73
06-07-2011, 05:15 PM
http://www.rcraceboat.com/Storewiredrive.html

dascoadams
06-07-2011, 05:40 PM
I know where to get them..but not not sure what wire drive and coupling will work...and to be clear I want the wire drive not the upgrade flex cable.....please help..anyone that's running a wire drive in their boats

http://www.rcraceboat.com/Storewiredrive.html

dag-nabit
06-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Www.wholtsrcboats.com i believe...... I'm using his Spartan .187 cable with the stock brass tube with the liner removed.the only thing you'll need also is the motor coupler for a.187 cable to a 5mm motor shaft....not 100% about the outdrive if it'll fit . I'm using a speedmaster .187 stinger drive so I'm not sure if that cable will fit the stock outdrive. He also has a .150 cable as well...hopefully some more experienced guys will chime i'n and help you further.... Good luck!!!!

How is that .187 flex working for you? I broke two cables this past weekend. Time to go with something stronger.

Kevin

dascoadams
06-07-2011, 06:34 PM
I've tried to contact Jeff...but I'm sure he's super busy...so I was wanting to ask someone who's been there done that...lol...and from what I hear the stock is prone to torque ... not as good as the upgraded .187

But I have used Jeffs wire drive in my ul1 and I know that's how you get the smooth speed..love em..just need the right one

chadrob30
06-07-2011, 07:37 PM
I'm with ya Dasco...I just want a direct link to what I need, lol....

dascoadams
06-07-2011, 07:40 PM
I know its hard to figure out.

Rcforever27
06-07-2011, 07:57 PM
@ Kevin , to be honest i haven't taken it out yet probably this weekend..... Please let me kno what you're planning i'n using fir a stronger flex cable ... and all bessary mods / coupler sizes etc.... Thanks! I'll keep you posted on how it goes this weekend or maybe even thus week....

Rcforever27
06-07-2011, 07:59 PM
&dascoadams, lol sorry i got mixed up thought you meant flex cable..... What's the difference between the 2? Newer to these kind of eletric boats....I'm a gasser... Lol

Rcforever27
06-07-2011, 08:04 PM
:confused2:@ Kevin what could possibly be stronger? I'm all ears.... Lol that really sucks tho.... That means you lost 2 props..... :ThumbsDown01:

dascoadams
06-07-2011, 08:14 PM
The biggest difference is rotating mass...and much smoother..and balanced..faster and less noise on the ul1 with the site drive

Rcforever27
06-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Oh gotcha..... Stronger than flex? Or about the same?

dascoadams
06-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Not to sure..I've never snapped either...as far as I can tell thus ,,far just the benefits listed above

Oh gotcha..... Stronger than flex? Or about the same?.

Rcforever27
06-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Ok thanks I'm gonna look into running a wire drive i'n the bear future..... Thanks!

dag-nabit
06-07-2011, 08:59 PM
:confused2:@ Kevin what could possibly be stronger? I'm all ears.... Lol that really sucks tho.... That means you lost 2 props..... :ThumbsDown01:

We snapped 2 .150 cables from Jeff.

First one in my Daughters Spartan on the first run, Broke right at the prop stub.

Second one was in My Spartan just this morning, broke near the collet but had several runs on it.

I'm certain this is not indicative of the quality of Jeff's cables, rather, it's an indication that pushing a bigger prop (S220) on 6S is just too much for a .150 cable.

I have a couple .187 cables on order with Jeff, and also ordered a wire drive to try in my Fightercat. I have never run a wire drive so this will be my first go at it.

Fortunately I didn't lose the props, when the cable snapped it splayed enough to catch on the liner and the stub never pulled out.

I have a couple stock cables we will run for now, hopefully they will hold out for the two or three weeks it usually takes for stuff to arrive from across the border.

Kevin

Rcforever27
06-07-2011, 09:07 PM
:beerchug::thumbup1:Ok gotcha.... Well at least you didn't Lose any props .... Part of the hobby i guess.... Lol yeah let me kno how the .187 cables work for you... I'm gonna try to get it i'n the lake this week fir sure and I'll let you kno how it goes.... Good luck !P.s I'll be running a leopard 1400kv with a 447/3 prop with 4 , 3 cells i'n series/ parallel ....Wish me luck lol!

Jeff Wohlt
06-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Sorry guys...been busy at the hotel. O78 wire should work well. Dag....so you broke a 150 at the stub? Was the cable broken or did the brazing pop? Sounds like too much for the 150.

dag-nabit
06-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Sorry guys...been busy at the hotel. O78 wire should work well. Dag....so you broke a 150 at the stub? Was the cable broken or did the brazing pop? Sounds like too much for the 150.

Hi Jeff,

Both cables snapped, brazing was sound.

Kevin

Jeff Wohlt
06-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Good deal but bummer. Sorry to hear that.

I will get caught up in a day or so and get those out. Busy summer at the hotel which is great but I also drive and hour each way and get home late so my time making items has been limited.

mave
06-08-2011, 08:10 AM
Oh no, this doesnt sound good at all! I just ordered several from jeff.
My friend ran 6s, s220 on stock shaft. The shaft didn't break a sweat after 2 packs. this is not considering the shaft has already been use several times.
Maybe Jeff cares to look into it?

We snapped 2 .150 cables from Jeff.

First one in my Daughters Spartan on the first run, Broke right at the prop stub.

Second one was in My Spartan just this morning, broke near the collet but had several runs on it.

I'm certain this is not indicative of the quality of Jeff's cables, rather, it's an indication that pushing a bigger prop (S220) on 6S is just too much for a .150 cable.

I have a couple .187 cables on order with Jeff, and also ordered a wire drive to try in my Fightercat. I have never run a wire drive so this will be my first go at it.

Fortunately I didn't lose the props, when the cable snapped it splayed enough to catch on the liner and the stub never pulled out.

I have a couple stock cables we will run for now, hopefully they will hold out for the two or three weeks it usually takes for stuff to arrive from across the border.

Kevin

dascoadams
06-22-2011, 12:50 AM

looks like Jeff is putting up a direct link for the Spartan wire drive...can't wait I will order one as soon as its up...hopefully there will be a combo deal that includes the coupler..hint hint..Jeff...lol:hug1:

mtnbiker94
06-22-2011, 01:02 AM
Yeah I just started having problems with my stock flex shaft today! :ThumbsDown01:
And yeah a wire drive for the spartan would be SWEET! I'd definitely buy one, and a combo would be really nice with the coupler and wire, as mentioned above!:rockon2:

Let us know when ya got ones made up Jeff! :thumbup:

dascoadams
06-23-2011, 12:54 AM
Yeah I just started having problems with my stock flex shaft today! :ThumbsDown01:
And yeah a wire drive for the spartan would be SWEET! I'd definitely buy one, and a combo would be really nice with the coupler and wire, as mentioned above!:rockon2:

Let us know when ya got ones made up Jeff! :thumbup:

I run a wire drive In my ul-1 and love it with the torque roll issues it just seems a better choice