PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Grand Prix

Doug Smock
06-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Hey Fellas,

The Atlanta Model Boaters cordially invite you to attend the 2011 Atlanta Grand Prix on July 16th & 17th, 2011. Atlanta is the third stop in the season long chase for the coveted Grand Prix jackets!

The Grand Prix circuit offers a wide variety of classes and a relaxed atmosphere. We start racing at noon on Saturday and typically have everyone on their way home by late afternoon on Sunday. The competition and camaraderie are what keep the "regulars" coming back season after season. You will not find a friendlier group of racers anywhere.

Please see the attached flyer for more information. We are utilizing the www.RCRacingEvents.com website to manage entries this year. If you have any questions just let us know.

We hope to see you at the pond!

Doug :smile:

Chilli
06-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Doug, Did I read there is going to be a Lady's T-Boat Shootout? I thought I saw it on the flyer posted on Jims but didnt see the class listed in the rcracingevents sign up. I think Mrs Loeb should be entered!!!

Doug Smock
06-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Doug, Did I read there is going to be a Lady's T-Boat Shootout? I thought I saw it on the flyer posted on Jims but didnt see the class listed in the rcracingevents sign up. I think Mrs Loeb should be entered!!!

Hi Mike,
It's not a class for heat racing. The ladies will race a Thunderboat Shootout after the other classes have run. The winner will take home a traveling trophy and will bring it back to the next GP race where it will be up for graps again. Who knows, this may grow into something.
They will register the ladies at the pond.
I agree Mrs. Loeb needs to race.
Doug

moonlighter112
06-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Shes ready

Chilli
06-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Cool idea. Should be fun.

I'll get John and my entry in next week.

Doug Smock
06-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Sweet!!!!!!!!!
I'm looking forward to it guys, gal.:thumbup1:
D.

egneg
06-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Good luck Carol !!!!

obrien
06-06-2011, 10:35 PM
one of these days I will try to make it up there to take part in the grand prix series. should be a fun race. I had a pretty good time last week at the nats and I am anxious to get back to racing soon.

Doug Smock
06-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Hey Gang,

We are off to a great start for the 2011 Atlanta Grand Prix! We currently have 21 racers and 71 boats entered… Get those entries in ASAP! The race is just four weeks away and we are hoping to make this one of the largest Grand Prix’s of the year.

Don’t forget the special event --- THE LADIES THUNDERBOAT SHOOTOUT --- Several first time racers are already committed to the Shootout!

· Wendy Morton

· Birdie Mulvany

· Sondra Smock

Please see the attached flyer for more information. We are utilizing the www.RCRacingEvents.com website to manage entries this year. If you have any questions just let us know.

We hope to see you at the pond!

Thanks,
Lamar Huff
President AMB

Chilli
06-20-2011, 01:36 AM
All signed up!!! Cant wait to come down.

Doug Smock
06-20-2011, 04:33 PM
All signed up!!! Cant wait to come down.

Great!!! There are at least two local FE guys that haven't entered so it's shaping up to be a good one!!:thumbup1:

Thanks for the support Mike!
Doug

egneg
06-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Good luck Guys!

Doug Smock
06-20-2011, 05:06 PM
I'm going to need it Chuck. I haven't had a oval boat in the water since Feb.:closedeyes:

moonlighter112
06-21-2011, 04:21 AM
I have not either

gonzo1948
06-21-2011, 08:12 AM
I am going to enter this event, I have never run electric's in a race before. I raced nitro for over 20 years. But not since 2003. I have an JAEfe but with a Fiego motor, is that legal in the open hyrdo class?
Raymond Gonzalez
(formerly Speedy)

Doug Smock
06-21-2011, 10:21 PM
I am going to enter this event, I have never run electric's in a race before. I raced nitro for over 20 years. But not since 2003. I have an JAEfe but with a Fiego motor, is that legal in the open hyrdo class?
Raymond Gonzalez
(formerly Speedy)

Great!! You'll be glad you did!!
You can run your JAE in the open class no problem.
Doug

HOTWATER
06-23-2011, 09:07 PM
:crying: I sure wish I was able to make it down there Doug......I'm sure Chilli, John (Chilli Jr.), Dick and Carol are gonna have a blast with y'all.

-Kent

Doug Smock
06-23-2011, 10:51 PM
Yeah I wish you, Chuck, Danny, Ben, and thay guy that thinks he knows something about O/B Tunnels were all coming.:biggrin:

Chilli
06-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Posted by Lamar on Jim's:

*** IMPORTANT OPEN WATER ANNOUNCEMENT ***

Due to permit issues with the county Open Water will now be held on Friday the 15th from 5PM until Dark and Saturday the 16th from 8AM till 11:30 AM ONLY. Racing will start promptly @ Noon on the 16th.

Thanks,
Lamar

Doug Smock
07-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Well I don't have all of the piece parts for the thunderboat yet so Ms.Sondra will be training with my LSG 27 Mono tomorrow.:w00t:
Wish us luck!
D.

Chilli
07-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Take the turn fins off of that mono Doug so she'll run like a T-Boat!!!:w00t:

Doug Smock
07-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Sondra went through a gallon of gas today. Only two bouy hits and by the end of the day she was running with three other monos.:thumbup1:
I think I may have a new race parther, she had a great time.:biggrin:
Hopefully by next weekend I'll have her in a T Boat. I'll post some pics.
D.

Chilli
07-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Very Cool. I'm glad it went well. :smile:

Can't wait to get down there! The boats are just about ready. The JAE needed a nose job. LOL

Doug Smock
07-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Hey Gang,

ONLY 2 DAYS LEFT TO ENTER THE 2011 ATLANTA GRAND PRIX

This is shaping up to be one of the largest Grand Prix's of the season…

We currently have 42 racers and 141 boats entered!!!

Enter via www.rcracingevents.com

See you @ the pond!

Doug

electric
07-07-2011, 09:20 AM
How do you guys get your boats and equipment to the site if you fly in? I am pondering signing up( the last day, I know), but not sure how to get the batteries and boats there in a reasonable way? I am guessing you just ship everything? If I just came in for a day and brought one boat to run, is it feasable to get one on the plane at all?? Just want to hear ideas from those who have done it.

Chilli
07-07-2011, 10:34 AM
If your running a spec boat, I have a good spare 4S pack and would be happy to bring it down with me and charge it over the weekend for you. I've got 8mm bullets on it right now but can switch it over to 5.5's in a snap.

Doug Smock
07-07-2011, 01:00 PM
I have never flown my equipment around so I can't help you there however. If you wanted to ship it to me I'd gladly take to the site and ship it back for you.

Doug
404-308-4011

electric
07-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I think I am trying to cram to much into to short a time. I have enough miles to fly over for free, but I also have to fly out to the West Coast on Monday after the weekend. I was just kicking around the idea, but I think I will just stay put. It seems that you almost have to drive yourself if you want to go to any event with all the airport security issues etc.

Doug Smock
07-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Maybe next year Jim.

The FE classes are looking good fellas, thanks for the support!!
Sport B Tunnel = 9
Sport 40= 1 (Class not made)
60 Scale = 2 (Class not made)
B Tunnel = 6
D Tunnel = 7
Open Tunnel = 6

LSG 23-30 Mono= 13
LSG Tunnel = 0 (Class Cancelled)
Classic Thunderboat =5
LSG 23-30 Cat = 11
LSG 23-30 Crackerbox-J Skiff = 5
LSG 23-30 Rigger = 9
LSG 23-30 Sport Hydro = 12

Open Hydro = 7
Open Offshore = 10
Open Mono = 11

P-Limited OB Tunnel = 8
P-Limited Hydro Rigger = 9
P-Limited Sport Hydro= 6
P-Mono = 6
N Mono= 5

One more day to enter.
See ya at the pond!!!
Doug

Chilli
07-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Looks like we're going to be running 3 rounds as per VP/Dan on Jim's.

Nice FE Turnout.........Nice turnout period!!!!

Flex's Lubed and batteries charging. :banana:

HOTWATER
07-09-2011, 03:12 PM
WoW! 34 FE entries!!! Nice!! We'll get there Chilli.....

Doug Smock
07-09-2011, 10:38 PM
This should be a great race!! I just finished Ms Sondra's T Boat. Maiden voyage (This go round, it's used) tomorrow.
I think she is feeling some pressure.:noidea::noidea::laugh:

The FE fleet is ready to rock!
Looking forward to seeing you D12 boys!!
D.

properchopper
07-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Good luck & happy times to the D12 Crew.:thumbup1: Great participation; way to go ! I'd be thinking 'bout you'se guys next weekend but the SoCal crew is racing P-Ltd Sport Hydro & P-Mono at the H20 Gassers D19 Benefit race. Rock & Roll my Bro's !!!

Doug Smock
07-14-2011, 10:40 PM
The gate will be unlocked at 8am tomorrow fellas.
Be safe on the roads and I'll see you at the pond!
Doug

HOTWATER
07-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Doug, Hope you have a great weekend!

Chilli, John (Rocky), Dick and Carol......Wish you all well! Give that D.13 gang a spanking!! :hug1:

Chilli
07-16-2011, 11:19 PM
We're having a great time in Atlanta! The D13 crew is treating us well. The Insane Sport hydro is giving the D13 Vacu Pickles a run for their money. John won a Limited Hydro heat so I'm very proud of him. Doug is strong in all the FE classes but his JAE is in a class by itself. I'm still trying to get the Insane mono to settle down but I did pull out a second on my second P-mono heat. Best part of the day was when the heat racing was over. We ran a few boats in open water while the gang from Raleigh threw some burgers and dogs on the grill. We hung out at the pond till 10pm shooting the breeze. It doesnt get any better than that!

ron1950
07-17-2011, 01:05 PM
how did dick do in opc?...maybe the economey will improve by next year and i can make it over to atl.....nats took all my extra cash for racing this year.....

Doug Smock
07-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Man what a weekend!!
The weather was pretty much perfect, the competition was fierce.:thumbup1:
Here are the results.
http://www.rcracingevents.com/cgi-bin/raceresults.pl?action=show_race&club=Atlanta%20Model%20Boaters&event=grandprix
Carol Loeb won the ladies Thunderboat Shootout. When she starts running FE classes we're going to be in trouble fellas!:scared::smile: Congrats again Ms. Carol!!!!
I'll post more later when I get some of the blood out of my eyes. LOL
Thanks everybody, I had a absolute blast!!
Doug

cybercrxt
07-18-2011, 07:11 AM
Doug, I will be calling you sometime today, but I wanted to extend a big THANK YOU for the kind words you had for Dick and myself. Everytime I think your level of class could not get any higher, you amaze me. You are one awesome guy and I am very thankful to know someone like you! Congrats to all the winners from the race. I got play by plays and it sounded like a fun one. Wish I had more time off to share these races with you guys! Mike Luszcz

Doug Smock
07-18-2011, 08:02 AM
Mike,
Just giving credit where credit is due my brother, you and Dick are top shelf.:bowdown:
I wish you had been able to make the race, it was a good time with really GREAT people!
Dick had everything he needed to beat me up in O/B Tunnel but luck. There were two heats he had me shakin pretty good.:w00t::tt2: If he hadn't been cut (blown) off one heat, and a radio?? issue on another, the results may have been different.
Thanks again for doing what you do guys.
Smock:beerchug:

cybercrxt
07-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Thanks Doug, Just walked in from the garage, ran out of time, and I know its to late to call now, tty very soon! Mike

Chilli
07-18-2011, 10:53 PM
What a weekend guys. John and I had a great time. It was great to finally get a chance run head to head with full heats of FE's. I really had a blast running the Limited Sport hydros. The Insane and Vacu pickles matched up very well and the racing was tight. I actually came in third in Sport Hydro when I choked in a runoff and tagged a buoy in the mill (DOOOH!!!!). I'm still getting the Insane mono dialed in and while I have it turning well with the large fins, I have to work on getting it to settle down in the straights with some weight and a strut adjustment. Even though John didnt place high, I was very proud of his driving in traffic. He holds his lane very well.

Doug is Mr Consistancy and it showed in the final results. Not only can the man build fast boats and drive, there is no one who has more fun at the races than he does. And his attitude is contageous. The guy is just a blast to hang with. After runnig all day Saturday, John and I, the Loebs, Ron, Mike and Kevin (from NC), Doug, and a few more of the Atlanta gang, kept running boats, grilled some burgers and hung out till 10pm. That's what makes a great weekend of raceing even more special. And to top off the weekend, on Sunday Doug presented Dick, John and myself the IMPBA record certificates that we earned earlier this spring.

I thought ALL the guys from D12 who came down represented the district well and I was proud to be among them. We brought home some wood. Special congrats to Carol for her Ladies Thunderboat win!!!

Doug, I was pulling into a Walmart with the family when you called back. Sorry I had to cut the call short but I just wanted to say thanks for the great time. Hope to race with you in the not too distant future.

moonlighter112
07-19-2011, 04:42 AM
WOW what a BLAST it was great to come to a all electric heat race format,I learned alot .MR.SMOCK is a class act all the way,thanks for all your help and advice all of Dougs boats ran like the owner TOP NOTCH.The Atlanta Model Boaters made Carol and myself feel right at home a great group of racers. It was great to be around old friends and making new ones, thanks to all for a great weekend.We didnt win them all but we won alot of friends and thats what is important.. We will be back. Thanks again for all the fun Dick an Carol Loeb

Doug Smock
07-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the kind words fellas. We had to take care of you guys, after all, we got the same treatment when we visited you in D12. But hey, don't expect that the next time.:laugh::laugh:
The Grand Prix crowd are some of the best people in model boating, and you guys fit right in. I can't wait till we get together again no matter where it is.
Here are a few pics.
Dick massaging his Thunderboat before Ms. Carol runs in the Shootout. This boat hauls the mail!55849
Chilli getting ready to give us fits with his Insane FE3055850
Reed Eagle up to no good as usual lol55851
Ole Reed's FE Fleet55852
Ms. Jenni enjoying the fan while she guards the "Smock Shack" lol55853

Doug Smock
07-19-2011, 09:51 PM
Ms. Carol with her TravelingThunderboat Shootout trophy.:thumbup1:55858 Sondra is coming after it Ms Carol! :tt2::wink: Norman, Wendy and Birdy in the background.
Dick stashing the precious metals he "aquired" while visiting Atl. :laugh:55857
Mr. BADGASS "Stormin Norman Morton's" FE Fleet55856
Wes Young with Gas Parts Plus55855 This was the first time he raced his JAE 21 FE.
John Snider and Tim Exley55854

HOTWATER
07-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Love the pics Doug...Good stuff!

Doug Smock
07-19-2011, 10:18 PM
This young gentleman won the Jersey Speed Skiff from Hitec Racing55859
Where's Paul??55860
Ms.Sondra's Thunderboat55861 She finished second behind Ms. Carol in the first heat. I think she is in touch with her competitive side now.:smile: Too cool to have the ladies involved!!
The remainder of the Smock fleet.55862
Only two left running.55863

Doug Smock
07-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Hopefully we'll see you guys in the fall in SOWEGA. Mike you have a fine young man in John. He'll be showing YOU the way around the race course in no time, at least until he finds cars and girls. Ask me how I know lol
Thanks for supporting our race and keep up the good work in D12. We'll get back there next year.
Doug :beerchug:

properchopper
07-19-2011, 11:44 PM
Great job & congrat's to all. Inspiring to see all those beautiful boats & nice folks. Gives D19 something to shoot for. Love to see some of Y'all come our way; next summer if you know what I mean !!

D. Newland
07-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Nice write up, guys, and dang, Doug...leaves some crumbs, would ya?