PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting the "Small Bolt"....

Turbo Dan-O
06-04-2011, 07:25 PM
I just want a fun little boat to bash around with. I have seen one run at my local lake and it looked good stock. Just wondering what everyone thought about this little hydro. Is it hard to flip? Strong hull?

Dan-O

Basstronics
06-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Let me answer both questions at once.

NO

It flips fairly easy. Its a small boat and its a hydro... Needs flat or pretty much flat water. No wind.

Is the hull strong? Not at the seam. Ive seen a few split already. Looks like they are held together with caulk or something...

They are a fun boat but theres a few problems.

1) The drive line isnt the best. Many people are replacing the prop shaft, flex/teflong/stuffing tube, coupler and motor.

2) The motor included is for 4S. Way to slow on 3S

3) Replacement couplers must be made. I dont think theres a stock purchase part that works.

4) Water in the hull. Many people are having this problem. Seems to be getting in past the grease in the stuffing tube.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9752215/tm.htm

wparsons
06-05-2011, 04:45 PM
I disagree on a couple points.

2) The stock motor works great on 3s if propped accordingly. The 27mm prop it comes with is way too small, but with an x432 or x632 it really wakes it up. IMO running that stock motor and a plastic prop at ~40k rpm isn't a wise choice, plus the increased amp draw through the stock (small) esc.

3) HOR stocks a direct replacement coupler

As far as 15" hydros go, it is pretty stable. Anything that small is going to need smooth water to stay upright.

SweetAccord
06-05-2011, 07:06 PM
I disagree on a couple points.

2) The stock motor works great on 3s if propped accordingly. The 27mm prop it comes with is way too small, but with an x432 or x632 it really wakes it up. IMO running that stock motor and a plastic prop at ~40k rpm isn't a wise choice, plus the increased amp draw through the stock (small) esc.

3) HOR stocks a direct replacement coupler

As far as 15" hydros go, it is pretty stable. Anything that small is going to need smooth water to stay upright.

:iagree:

Turbo Dan-O
06-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Dang, looks like that is not that great of an idea. I can't have it flipping all the time. I want something I can run and not worry about it much. I guess a V hull would be better.

Dan-O

wparsons
06-06-2011, 09:25 AM
It's not *that* easy to flip, I've only flipped mine once in a couple dozen runs AND it landed right side up after rolling.

What kind of conditions are you running in, and how stable do you expect it to be? A mono/v in this size will flip pretty easily as well, the problem is how fast they're going compared to their size.

The only benefit to a v/mono in this size is you can get self-righting ones, but that isn't a guarantee that it'll work every time.

sundog
06-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Ha! Bass has had a bad run with this boat, but IMO it wasn't the boat's fault.

1. If you put the lipo on the left side at the sponson, it will cancel out the tendancy to torque roll should it leave the water.
2. If you don't run into something hard while at speed, the hull/seams will be fine!
3. There's no need to change any driveline parts. The stock oversized flex shaft is bulletproof! Removing the teflon liner and liberally greasing the shaft will eliminate the binding. Put heat shrink tubing where the flex exits the stuffing tube to keep grease in and water out.
4. If you run on 4S with the stock motor and a metal 32mm prop, it will be a handful!

Don't let someones bad luck dissuade you, this is a great little boat.

spenndog
06-19-2011, 10:13 PM
I agree with Sundog... I had one of these last summer and loved it. 4s LiPo and a 31mm plastic prop with everything else stock and was tons of fun.

tim v
06-19-2011, 11:36 PM
it is probably the most inexpensive fun boat you could get....i love mine.....

Turbo Dan-O
06-21-2011, 09:31 AM
Looking back into one again.... Anyone have the Bolt from HOR with the 50A ESC installed? Just wondering if this ESC is worth the extra money or not. http://www.horracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=41_98&products_id=278

Dan-O

sundog
06-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Lol, their ad starts off saying "16 inch deep V ARTR". This boat can be hard on esc's, especially if you run 4S. 45A etti's and Force controls have given up the magic smoke in these. If it were me, I'd get the Turnigy 60A (Seaking) and be done with it. The HOR ad says it has a turn fin, maybe that and the 50A esc is why the cost is higher.

Basstronics
06-21-2011, 12:50 PM
I would save the $$$ and buy it from HK and just get a new ESC for it.

spenndog
06-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Here's some Eagle tree data... 3s run is all stock with an outrage 2200mah. 25c.
4s is also all stock with a 1300mah 30c turnigy. Both with the 27mm plastic prop.

Basstronics
06-21-2011, 01:25 PM
To hard to make out anything. Brake the numbers down for us. I havent put my eagle tree into the SB yet as shes always taking on water...

spenndog
06-21-2011, 01:32 PM
It's a picture of the screen. you can zoom in just like a pic. Max amps on 3s was 17.5... Max amps on 4s was 30.55... thats with stock prop. I ran a 31mm plastic prop on 4s it would blow over at WOT.

wparsons
06-21-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm running an x632 on 3s, and the motor/esc come in warm, but nowhere close to hot.

sundog
06-21-2011, 03:11 PM
It's a picture of the screen. you can zoom in just like a pic. Max amps on 3s was 17.5... Max amps on 4s was 30.55... thats with stock prop. I ran a 31mm plastic prop on 4s it would blow over at WOT.

Can't zoom in enough to see your results :sad: Yes, if you stick with the 27mm plastic prop on 3S you could get along just fine, but who wants to do that!:bounce:The stock 2600kv motor can handle up to a 32mm prop, but you'll need a decent esc. You might need to tweak your strut angle a bit if it leaps out of the mix. And if you locate the battery up front at the left sponson, it won't have that tendency to roll when it catches air.

wparsons
06-21-2011, 03:14 PM
^^ I haven't had any issues at all with the stock 2600kv motor, stock ESC and x632 prop on 3s at all.

I run my battery as far forward as I can without interfering with the hatch (3s2200mah packs), and and just slightly to the left. I did adjust my strut quite a bit to get a better angle. It now runs flat and is pretty stable. It takes corners fast unless they're really tight, and only flips in chop if I'm being stupid.

U1Racing
06-21-2011, 03:20 PM
i grantee you that you could get a small bolt to run on somewhat choppy water, did anyone try putting an air-dam in the tunnel??

wparsons
06-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Mine isn't at risk of blowing over unless I'm being stupid in choppy water, so I haven't tried. I've never had mine go over backwards, but I have rolled it, cornering too tight at high speed and caught the side of a wave.

Turbo Dan-O
06-21-2011, 03:44 PM
What kind of average run time do these get?

Dan-O

sundog
06-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Wparsons, what esc came with your Bolt?

wparsons
06-21-2011, 09:16 PM
I dunno, whatever HK sent with it. It's totally unmarked, just wrapped in some shrink wrapping.

sundog
06-21-2011, 11:36 PM
Sounds like what came with mine - black heat shrink, waterproofed with white 'caulking'.

Turbo Dan-O
06-27-2011, 05:37 PM
Well, I got a good deal for a red Bolt on fleabay today. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130536255692&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT Had to have it! Looks like it already has a 45A ESC and some floatation. What is the hot setup for these? I have a 1000mah 40c 3S I use in my crawler but I am not sure if that is enough mah for the Bolt. I have read a lot of people that use 31-32mm props also. I am ready to get this sucker on the water!!!

Dan-O

wparsons
06-27-2011, 05:55 PM
I run a 2200mah 3s in mine, 40a probably isn't enough to keep the motor happy with a 32mm prop. You can get 2200mah 40C 3s packs for like $14 from HK, those would work better.

Turbo Dan-O
06-27-2011, 06:05 PM
With the price I paid for it I will not be upset if the ESC smokes. I really want a good 60A like you guys said.

Dan-O

Basstronics
06-27-2011, 07:10 PM
One could of been had off HK for roughly the same price you paid. It wasnt a spectacular deal but not a bad one either.

Im assuming its the standard ESC since its not pictured. Not an etti or anything.

Im running an Etti 45A and a 2040 3600KV with seemingly good results for what run I could get in. Gives slightly more RPM with the stock motor @ 4S power.

Im going to try and seal my stuffing tube up tonight and hopefully get a run in tomorrow weather permitting.

Turbo Dan-O
06-28-2011, 11:34 AM
So what prop do I need to order? I am going to start out on 3S but I am sure I will want to try 4S later.

Dan-O

netik racing
08-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Hi Dan-o

I got one from hor... then once i got it i was a disappointed with the lack of speed and the motor got hot... so all i did was put a short 380 motor in it ( you dont have to change anything ) lathed the collet out a few mill and got a venom 32mm prop and the thing scream's for its size...Im still running the stock esc and a 3s lipo 2200mah 25c...

Here is a link to show you :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWYgmJGYfNc

netik racing
08-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Hi Dan-o

I got one from hor... then once i got it i was a disappointed with the lack of speed and the motor got hot... so all i did was put a short 380 motor in it ( you dont have to change anything ) lathed the collet out a few mill and got a venom 32mm prop and the thing scream's for its size...Im still running the stock esc and a 3s lipo 2200mah 25c...

ENCORE MAN
08-05-2011, 08:32 AM
So what prop do I need to order? I am going to start out on 3S but I am sure I will want to try 4S later.

Dan-O
Dan, I have been using Octura x 430 and x 432 with great success on 3s in my Minicat Hydro which is similar to your boat. Don't forget to order a mini hydro turn fin from Steve when ordering your props (about $6). The performance improvement is very noticable with the fin. BG

wparsons
08-05-2011, 09:20 AM
I'm running mine on 3s with an x632. That'll likely be too much prop on 4s though, even if you have a bigger ESC.

Turbo Dan-O
08-14-2011, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the info guys! I have ran mine several times so far. I have been trying a few different plastic props that have helped out a ton. I have an Octura X632 that I am working on also. The bolt is fast but I have flipped it a lot of times. I have yet to have it on smooth water though and I can't wait to see how she runs then! I also bought a Turnigy 60A but I have not installed it yet.

Dan-O

Brushless55
09-14-2011, 12:26 AM
has anyone tried an outrunner in this hydro?
and where can we get a turn fin for these, or do we even need one?
thanks!

netik racing
09-14-2011, 01:30 AM
yes i have tried the HK one (the water cooled one) it works well but my 380 lond that i put in was faster and more fun....

Turn fin ...i havent tryed one but i don't really think it needs one .....

Brushless55
09-14-2011, 08:52 AM
what kv was the outrunner?
thanks

Turbo Dan-O
09-14-2011, 10:59 AM
yes i have tried the HK one (the water cooled one) it works well but my 380 lond that i put in was faster and more fun....

More info on your motor please! Where can I get one??? That thing screams on 3S!

Dan-O

netik racing
09-14-2011, 07:47 PM
This one is the outrunner...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=17152

The one im running now is an inrunner 380 l 2600kv 2pole cheapy from ebay

BILL OXIDEAN
09-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Hi Dan-o

Nice job!

sspees
01-13-2012, 06:16 PM
I was wondering where you were on here, great advice you gave. Hows that esc workin out?

netik racing
01-16-2012, 10:45 PM
I was wondering where you were on here, great advice you gave. Hows that esc workin out?

HI Guy’s
So ive been getting a few email’s about my mini bolt so I thought I would do a small write up….
I got it as a rtr from hor on ebay I think it was like $180 delivered…
After having it out twice the motor died not from over propping but the cooling system blocked up…
So as a rtr I was a little disappointed with the top speed but im glad that the motor broke…
Firstly I upgraded the motor to a 380 long motor 2600kv.. the only thing I had to do is put the collet in my lathe and drill out the motor shaft size …(easy)
So I then put it back together the holes lined up on the motor mount so that made things easy….the shaft angle was not spot on but for then I wasn’t worried…so with the standard prop and standard esc it was ok bit for me still not fast enough.. now I was having a few problems with the servo mount moving…so after using 3 matchstick’s and some glue I fixed that issue..
Secondly I broke the prop to be expected because it was plastic. So I thought I better go the metal way. I looked at the octura range but I couldn’t be bothered balancing and stuff so I got a venom 32mm cnc prop and did one or two mod’s to it so it was more to my liking.
Lastly the stock ecs was getting very hot when I changed to the 32mm prop so I thought I better upgrade the esc I had a blown 60amp seaking there so I grabbed the water cooler off it got a 70amp (airplane) esc from hobby king and made it into a water cooled esc cheap for $30..now I have a rubber band on my controller so the trigger hold full reverse …on the upside the esc has soft start so it great for the boat….
What next I hear you say… well plans are for 4s with this motor I have tried it but it was uncontrollable I think the weight is too far forward so im going to get 2 2s pack’s and place them alongside the motor to get better weight distribution…also going to try and use the 4s I have and add a little weight to the back to the hull to see if that will work as well…then well you have to stay tuned for what happen next..
Would love to see 80kph out of it at the moment it’s about 60kph so away to go…..
Any suggestions are welcome as well…