PDA

View Full Version : triton charger

ozboater
02-10-2008, 10:37 PM
picked up a triton charger today from a mate of mine... looks as tho he ll sell it to me cheap... i see that it has the ability to charge up to 24 cells.... this is a good thing since i ll be able to do 4 packs at once i figure... my question regards the wiring to link up the batteries... my old mrc 977 has 2 separate charge ports, the triton has only one... to charge two packs (12 cells) would i need to rig up a harness similar to this one:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-yharness

i m pretty sure that something along these lines will get the job done but since i m such a newb i figured it d be best to ask...

thanks !!

RMZDADDY
02-10-2008, 10:58 PM
I use the same y-harness on my Triton charger to charge two 12-cell packs at once, that will do it for you.

ozboater
02-10-2008, 11:22 PM
thanks RMZ... so i guess i need to get to soldering up a harness... would 14 guage wire work out fine ?? i guess theres no reason why i can t make a harness that ll link 4 packs instead of 2 yeah ??

thanks for ya help...

zero9046
02-11-2008, 12:21 AM
i've got a triton 2 charger and use a 'series' adapter with deans plugs to charge 2 batteries at once. i really like this charger so far. i just got back from the texas super race and it worked great all weekend. i can't comment on charging 4 at once because i've never done it, but i suppose given the cell limit on the charger it could be done.

my only concern would be if whether or not each pack would get charge completely equally. i've sort of been lucky, just resting on my laurels since i've gotten into nimh but when i was messing around with helicopters and lipo's you had to be VERY careful charging them to make sure the cells stayed balanced.

i know nimh cells will get out of balance over time (and depending on whether or not you have any weak cells or not), i'm just not sure if charging 4 seperate packs at the same time would cause that.

Rex R
02-11-2008, 01:30 AM
with Nimh cells if you charge them at a low amp rate .4-1.0 amps they'll balance provided you're charging them in series(not sure/ don't know bout parallel). I've been charging my sv packs like that for some time. where you'll get into trouble is when the packs are not in a similar state of charge and try to 'fast' charge them.