PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up a Futaba 4PL for the Fastech..

Arctic Fire
05-31-2011, 01:50 AM
As the title says, I just got a screamin deal on a Futaba 4PL to drop in my fastech. I had to jump on the grand opening deal ($200 brand new, no tax) at the LHS without being able to do any research first. It's my first "Real" radio, anyone have any thoughts if it will be good for my Fastech / Fast electric applications? Aalso on a nother note, I want to Carbon the inside of the Fastech hull, anyone know what it's finished with? poly,epoxy,vinlyester?

thanks!

Arctic Fire
06-01-2011, 01:11 AM
Guess this is not a real popular model in the FE community... kinda scary :s

I'll let you know how it goes

Jabbo
06-01-2011, 07:58 AM
Futaba are great radios that one just has a lot more on it than you will ever use, I use tactic in my elec ( cheep and reliable ) but I do have a Futaba 3pm for my gasser and it works great. I would not bother laying cf down unless you have to I have a fastec and wave jump and bash it around without issue in the hull it's the windscreen that cracks. Still tape down your hatch because it will fly off in a crash or tumble. Best upgrade to make is a ul1 setup and a sharpened and balanced 442 prop.
Good luck it's a fun boat
Look over the threads for it in the proboat section
Jeff:thumbup1:

Jabbo
06-01-2011, 08:13 AM
Let's see a picture of the back end I think you need to bend your turn fins out it helps A LOT with the handling

detox
06-01-2011, 10:00 AM
That was a very good deal. $50.00 cheaper than tower. I like the lap timer feature. I wish cheaper radios had a lap timer/counter.

Arctic Fire
06-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Ttanks for the replys guys! I have tweaked my turn fins and trim tabs since the pics have been taken. I absoloutly love big chop out on the cottage lake, thats why I went with the Fastech V, although i wish it was a bit deeper. I do like to run it in big water, bigger the better. I was worried about the hull, but thanks for the insight! As far as the hatch, I have installed theses little hatch locks that secure the hatch, without them I don't know what i would do.

My ultimate secret, that I have yet to unleash on the FE world...(haha) is Temporary window silicone, meant for temporarily sealing window drafts. I lay a bead down before i put the hatch on, and it makes a waterproof seal. THen i just peel it up when im done, and the silicone just peels off in one long piece. No stick, no mess, and no picking little pieces. It has changed my world! It's so waterproof that I can float the boat upside down for 10 minutes without leaking.

I installed a waterproof on off switch for the esc on the outside of the boat so It's easier to operate once its sealed.

I suggest everbody try it out sometime!

-its called DAP seal'n'peel or this http://www.homedepot.ca/product/300ml-draft-attack-removable-caulk/941866