PDA

View Full Version : Shippers Be Ware

SJFE
02-09-2008, 11:37 AM
This is why in my opinion UPS BLOWS.
Last week I boxed up 300 dollars worth of items that where for a trade. I had them picked up @ the door. They where delivered 5 days later. The delivery manifest was logged by the driver as “ left @ front door”. In all actuality there was no access to the property what so ever. The driver actually left the parcel on a sidewalk in front of the property. There was nothing that even closely resembled a front door just a stockade fence. The box was subsequently stolen from the sidewalk. When I called UPS to file a claim I was told I couldn’t. I had released the signature. I explained the driver left the parcel in one place and logged another. I also stated that in the event the package was undeliverable it should by all rights have been returned to me. Not left on the side of a busy street. Yet supervisor after supervisor would not admit the drivers incompetence and hid behind the release. So just a bit of advice here. Don’t ever try and do a favor for the recipient of a package by having it left @ the door. The drivers may just leave it where ever the hell they feel like since there is no recourse for being a friggin lazy moron and leaving a package to be scooped up by the first scumbag thief who sees it.
Am I bitter? You bet your @ss I am.

Steven Vaccaro
02-09-2008, 12:46 PM
If a customer requests something like that he has to realize the risk involved. After you prove that the item was actually shipped and delivered to the address, the rest is on him to get it in the building. On all boats I require ups to get a signature. I'm not sure when it happened, but UPS changed their signature policy. It used to be that drivers were ALWAYS supposed to get a signature. It was left up to the driver if he thought the area was "OK" to drop a package off without one. Now a signature request is an option that cost more money with them.

On a similar but different note, Fedex is not much better. They lost 2 packages of jewelry during the holiday season. Both were located and sent back, but the damage and upset customer satisfaction was already done! One was a next day. I called when I didnt receive it by 12pm. They said, "oh the driver let it outside the front door!" I responded, "well if he did, he just left a $2k diamond on the sidewalk, because we are located on a main street where all the front doors opens to the public." Their response, we will contact the driver right away!!!

SJFE
02-09-2008, 01:17 PM
I am done with them. They where bordering on smug & quite pleased they where not @ fault. No mention of contacing the driver what so ever. This is my second 300+ dollar lesson in 6 months. The first being my cell phone. By the time I am fully educated I'll be broke:frusty: . We live and learn don't we.:doh:

JimClark
02-09-2008, 03:00 PM
USPS at times isn't much better. Our normal mailman treats us well but if he isn't working on a day the replacement will leave packages on top of the mail box across the street from us.

SJFE
02-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Makes me long for the days when horse thieves where hung and theft in general cost you a hand..In some parts of the world anyway:sneaky2: . BTW my wife has stated and I agree that I should never be appointed or elected to a position of substantial authority.:nono:

JimClark
02-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Do you need sensitivity training:rofl: :bounce:

Makes me long for the days when horse thieves where hung and theft in general cost you a hand..In some parts of the world anyway:sneaky2: . BTW my wife has stated and I agree that I should never be appointed or elected to a position of substantial authority.:nono:

SJFE
02-09-2008, 03:48 PM
:bounce: No I think every one else needs desensitivity training. OMHO a large portion of the population have become...well to be blunt candy @sses. Worried about being "PC" don't spank the kids, we can't profile, lets rehabilitate degenerates.. omg I don't even want to get started:angry: . These same people are astonished when kids who have never had an @ss whupin shoot up schools & when paroled child abusers re offend. Maybe I'm a way way off base here but it's just how it all looks to me.

Boatman
02-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Sorry to hear about the trouble, How well do you know the person you sent the package too. I hope you didnt have to refund the money. I dont know how half of the stuff we send even makes it where its going sometimes but for some reason I dont see how a property could have a fence and no gate around it. And I also dont see a driver leaving a package straight on a sidewalk. Im not defending them I see they could have done more to accomodate you but I just hate to see you get takin and this person possibly DID infact receive his items. goodluck and maybe your right. find out if the driver can be contacted. I dont see why not

H&MWill
02-09-2008, 05:13 PM
I have tried them all and found Fedex Ground to be the best out there. Good pricing easy website and no mess ups in the last year!

SJFE
02-09-2008, 05:30 PM
I just hate to see you get takin and this person possibly DID infact receive his items.

I trust the person I sent it to.He said he didn't receive it & I believe him. I had pictures emailed to me of the property. It is surounded by a 6ft cement wall with a 2ft stockade fence on top of that. It extends all the way out to the sidwalk. The box was only about 8 pounds. He could have chucked it over the gate but didn't.

That seems to be what everyone is saying Will. Thanks for the in put.

goldendesign04
02-09-2008, 05:48 PM
I completely agree with the degenerate nature of society, if some nut kills 5 people, you fry his ass you dont stick him in a goverment institution to be handled with kid gloves just because some slick ass lawyer says "he didnt know right from wrong" That just means he wont feel scared when we strap the bastard into the chair. What ever happened to survival of the fittest? We coddle an accomodate an in the end achieve no better than wasted resources an the drain has been circled once more...

Ok on to shipping,
I own a jewelry store an constantly have packages coming in/out of my store I have found it best to switch up every few months between ups/fedex/dhl just to keep the drivers from figuring out what I actually ship, believe me they do an they will. Shipped enough over the years to know most of them are good but hey we all have enough negative karma that itll hit us sooner or later.
NONE of them are great UPS/FEDEX/DHL they just, an I mean just get the job done.
By the way SJFE dont feel too bad today for the sake of arguement added up my insurance claims an bills that Ive had to eat in three years of shipping.....:ohmy: :ohmy: now granted there is a perspective here, I ship between my guns an jewelry about 15-20k a month an last year alone lost 2,340 to insurance an 1,800 (roughly not retail but my costs) that I had to eat.

-Wayne

goldendesign04
02-09-2008, 05:51 PM
to clarify SJFE I completely feel for you an know its sucks not trying to be an arse about it. Just showing you it could be worse.

-Wayne

Eyekandyboats
02-09-2008, 07:35 PM
don't worry wayne, I shipped canada post-USPS

goldendesign04
02-09-2008, 08:01 PM
:eek: Im Hopeful:eek:
Though I must say all my rc stuff as arrived safely
-Wayne

Diegoboy
02-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Tom,

Dave got the package 5 minutes ago, completely in tact! (neighbor across the street saved it for him!!)

Next time, don't ship a UPS package in a FedEx box. They hate that!! :tongue_smilie:

Diegoboy
02-09-2008, 09:44 PM
He's opening it now... (He left his cam on)

A stranger picked up the box, neighbor questioned him. The stranger dropped the box when asked about it.

SJFE
02-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the update. Good news man.