PDA

View Full Version : EKOS replacing the outrunners????

Skullcracken
05-29-2011, 06:14 PM
Hi guys. I have a new EKOS with the outrunners and they can only handle 3s. What motors are some of you guys using on the newer EKOS to replace the outrunners?

Vinnie909
05-31-2011, 05:11 PM
good post i would also like to know what motor to put in it, and also do i use the stock motor mounts or change them out?!

Skullcracken
06-01-2011, 12:19 AM
I actually tried them out and they seem to work fine. I was worried the length and weight would be a problem with the Feigao's but the mount seems to hold them fine. Bench revving them they didn't seem to move or vibrate. This is also a considerably easier mount to use. One vertical screw rather than trying to reach into the sponson and turn rear facing screws, which was unbelievable frustrating.

Vinnie909
06-01-2011, 01:37 PM
k cool, so u put the feigao's 540xl on the stock out runners mounts? did u have to get drifferent couplers to go to the motor shaft?

FighterCat57
06-01-2011, 02:08 PM
What's the diameter on the inside of the mounts? Or outside of the motor? I may be able to get some outrunners rated much higher.

Vinnie909
06-01-2011, 04:29 PM
this is what the specs say for the stock outrunners on venoms web site, but no info on the mounts

Specs
Length: 41mm
Diameter: 27.8mm
Weight: 80g
Battery: 2-5 Lipos
Max Current: 42A
Kv: 2700
No Load Current: 2.1A

hopefuly that helps, if u find some better outrunners or inrunners that will fit the stock mounts let me know ill buy some, right now i took my boat out with me to lake havasu, AZ and was running 4s lipos and it did great the stock ESC didnt even get hot!! but the outrunners were hot but were still running good, i just wanna find a better motor so i dont half to stress about blowing the stock ones up

FighterCat57
06-01-2011, 05:11 PM
this is what the specs say for the stock outrunners on venoms web site, but no info on the mounts

Specs

hopefuly that helps, if u find some better outrunners or inrunners that will fit the stock mounts let me know ill buy some, right now i took my boat out with me to lake havasu, AZ and was running 4s lipos and it did great the stock ESC didnt even get hot!! but the outrunners were hot but were still running good, i just wanna find a better motor so i dont half to stress about blowing the stock ones up

Yeah, I understand. Don't worry too much about the outrunners temps. They can get hot and still be OK. Outrunners are much more durable than inrunners. The magnets spin around the coils, so less to worry about them flying apart from the epoxy failing like the inrunners did.

I need the actual size of the mount to help. Also the motor shaft size. There's a couple options, but not sure about those two dimensions.

Skullcracken
06-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Yeah, I understand. Don't worry too much about the outrunners temps. They can get hot and still be OK. Outrunners are much more durable than inrunners. The magnets spin around the coils, so less to worry about them flying apart from the epoxy failing like the inrunners did.

I need the actual size of the mount to help. Also the motor shaft size. There's a couple options, but not sure about those two dimensions.
No. No. Im talking about the feigoa 380xl's that everyone put in the older EKOS mounts. I have two 380 9xl 2612kv. The motor mounts are for 38mm cans.

Skullcracken
06-01-2011, 09:20 PM

Specs

Feigao 380 9xl's 2612kv. Same diameter as the stock outrunners. These ran faster than the outrunners despite being lower kv, much more acceleration too.

Skullcracken
06-01-2011, 09:23 PM

How hot is ok on those outrunners. I ran mine 4s, but they were literally like a frying pan. Don't seem to handle the 4s lipos. I didn't even run long, a few passes.

LarrysDrifter
06-01-2011, 09:37 PM
You need to measure the motor bolt spacing, then you'll know what you can use. 380 motors have 19mm spacing, and 540's have 25mm spacing. The old EKOS mounts have a 19mm spacing. I run 540's with the old mounts. I run Arc motors with dual bolt pattern spacing. And these motors run awesome by the way. Here's a link to them.
www.lightflightrc.com
They are a bit pricey, but you definitely get what you pay for. Only a Neu of the same size MIGHT out perform them. Bad part is, they don't make a 40mm can. If they did, some other manufacturers feathers would be ruffled.

FighterCat57
06-01-2011, 09:58 PM
How hot is ok on those outrunners. I ran mine 4s, but they were literally like a frying pan. Don't seem to handle the 4s lipos. I didn't even run long, a few passes.

That's the high rpm and load creating the extra heat. Use the smaller props on 4s and you'll do better and might even go faster. The 36mm props are for 3s. Their 32mm props worked well on 4s for me @2700kv.

Skullcracken
06-01-2011, 11:32 PM
You need to measure the motor bolt spacing, then you'll know what you can use. 380 motors have 19mm spacing, and 540's have 25mm spacing. The old EKOS mounts have a 19mm spacing. I run 540's with the old mounts. I run Arc motors with dual bolt pattern spacing. And these motors run awesome by the way. Here's a link to them.
www.lightflightrc.com
They are a bit pricey, but you definitely get what you pay for. Only a Neu of the same size MIGHT out perform them. Bad part is, they don't make a 40mm can. If they did, some other manufacturers feathers would be ruffled.
Thanks for the feedback but the new mounts are around the can. They don't have bolt mounts for the end of the motors like Venoms old green motors. The Feigao's fit, and perform better than the outrunners that are stock on the newer EKOS. The 540 size is definitely out. Limited to 380's or replace the mounts.

LarrysDrifter
06-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are able to install 380 motors in your mounts, Arc makes 380's in various kv's. They have a 2800kv that would scream and run cooler than any fegiao 2 pole. Very efficient motors. Use 120 amp speedos with x442's and you'll be sittin pretty.

FighterCat57
06-01-2011, 11:56 PM
Still need to know the inside measurement on the new style mounts. That'll tell us what motors will fit. =)

Larry's got the good setup info on these 32" twin cats, so as soon as we know what size motors will fit, Larry knows how a bunch of them perform and how to power them.

Vinnie909
06-02-2011, 01:59 PM
k so ill get my Mic out and see what size the inside of the clamp is and what size the shaft is

FighterCat57
06-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback but the new mounts are around the can. They don't have bolt mounts for the end of the motors like Venoms old green motors. The Feigao's fit, and perform better than the outrunners that are stock on the newer EKOS. The 540 size is definitely out. Limited to 380's or replace the mounts.

I can help ya if you want to replace the mounts. I have some that are designed for use in that hull that epoxy in fairly easily. Water cooled too. Would have to change the couplers for the 5mm shafts on 540 motors...

Just a thought.

Skullcracken
06-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are able to install 380 motors in your mounts, Arc makes 380's in various kv's. They have a 2800kv that would scream and run cooler than any fegiao 2 pole. Very efficient motors. Use 120 amp speedos with x442's and you'll be sittin pretty.
Thanks. I'm going to try that. So arc 2800kv 380's and x442's. I like it!

Vinnie909
06-02-2011, 08:47 PM
I can help ya if you want to replace the mounts. I have some that are designed for use in that hull that epoxy in fairly easily. Water cooled too. Would have to change the couplers for the 5mm shafts on 540 motors...

Just a thought.

can u post me a link to what u have in mind, i wanna swap my stock motors out, and im willing to changes the stock mounts out too

tman
06-12-2011, 07:20 AM
how ca I tell if the ekos has the outrunner motors in it?

LarrysDrifter
06-12-2011, 09:58 AM
The cans spin.

Skullcracken
06-15-2011, 07:10 PM
Should I get the ARC 28mm-47mm 2800kv's? Can I run those 4s each? If so great.
Also does ARC have a big nasty motor to replace the Leopard 4082 for my Genesis cat single drive?

ctstike
06-26-2011, 09:17 PM
feigao 380 xl is a liitle bit loose n venom outrunner motor mounts u need to put a spacer in it,,,,, i got one of those 2 but never try it yet,,,,, i dont have money, need to drive 10,000 miles to buy some parts "_"

ctstike
06-26-2011, 09:19 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are able to install 380 motors in your mounts, Arc makes 380's in various kv's. They have a 2800kv that would scream and run cooler than any fegiao 2 pole. Very efficient motors. Use 120 amp speedos with x442's and you'll be sittin pretty. how many cell n ur 4s @larry?

LarrysDrifter
06-26-2011, 09:33 PM
I don't understand the question. The batteries are 4000mAh 40-50c 4s. I also use four 2s, 5000mAh, 50c packs. Two wired in series per side for 4s.

ctstike
06-27-2011, 05:10 PM
you got it 40-50 cell tnx larry

I don't understand the question. The batteries are 4000mAh 40-50c 4s. I also use four 2s, 5000mAh, 50c packs. Two wired in series per side for 4s.