PDA

View Full Version : Delta Force Sniper 44

Bill-SOCAL
02-09-2008, 12:50 AM
Here's a few shots of mine. Built by Paul Pachmayer. I did the vinyl!!

It will get wet this weekend.

Lehner 3060/10 - 10S2P - Schulze 40.160WK

http://www.scaleaerobatics.org/BOATS/SNIPER/Sniper-1.JPG http://www.scaleaerobatics.org/BOATS/SNIPER/Sniper-2.JPG

http://www.scaleaerobatics.org/BOATS/SNIPER/Sniper-3.JPG

And one fresh from the box next to my SV27

http://www.scaleaerobatics.org/BOATS/SNIPER/P1010008.JPG

And a bunch more here:

http://www.scaleaerobatics.org/BOATS/SNIPER

Ocean Racer
02-09-2008, 01:30 AM
Sweet how much does a a stock one of those set u back

Bill-SOCAL
02-09-2008, 01:38 AM
Hull = $240 here on OSE

You really don't want to know what the rest costs!!

I will say that the glass work is superb!!

Ocean Racer
02-09-2008, 01:59 AM
It looks nice im going to say ur close to a 800-1000 on this boat

Bill-SOCAL
02-09-2008, 02:09 AM
Oh how I wish. Since you insist, here's how it breaks down:

Hull = $240
Hardware ~ $200
Motor mount + T bar ~ $175
Lehner 3060/10 ~ $725
Schulze 40.160 ESC ~ $800

Call it $2,150 ready for batteries. 4 x 5S 5000 25C packs ~ $1,200

So about $3,350 race ready. :eek:

Oh, and thanks for making me add it up. Now I am truly depressed :(

Oh well, I guess it is cheaper than drugs, but maybe not!!

Ocean Racer
02-09-2008, 02:11 AM
how fast u think ull get

Bill-SOCAL
02-09-2008, 02:21 AM
We're figuring high 60's low 70's in race trim. All up weight is around 17 to 19 pounds. A buddy of mine is building one up north (Madera) and we'll be racing against a couple of others at the WW IV race next month in Phoenix (Gilbert).

I'll GPS it this weekend for sure. I have a few different props to play with.

Sadly, this is almost cheap compared to giant scale aerobatics planes. You can ring up $8,000 without even trying there, and they can CRASH!!!

Here's a couple of shots of one in action (Paul Pachmayer's first build on the hull)

http://scaleaerobatics.org/BOATS/sniper2.jpg

http://scaleaerobatics.org/BOATS/sniper3.jpg

Ocean Racer
02-09-2008, 02:28 AM
Man looks sweet...ya planes can get expensive. I was looking at the jet engines for a plane and for a 3 or 4 inch jet. With everything - fuel was like 4 or 5 k and that was the smallest and cheapest. a :thumbsdown:

SJFE
02-09-2008, 10:12 AM
So about $3,350 race ready.

If I where the type of person that can be happy with a single boat thats not so bad. I bet if I add up what I have in the shop now including batteries I am over that total easy.

Bill-SOCAL
02-09-2008, 10:56 AM
I generally make it a rule NOT to add things up!! But he seemed interested.

Still and all, boats are way less than what planes cost me. A good 150cc gas engine will set you back $1,600, the spinner is $175, the props are $100 - $200. Real fun to break one of those!!

BTW, heres' my current fleet:

SV27 - 4S1P
Top Speed 2 tunnel - SV27 - 4S1P
H&M Viper (24" hydro) - 4S1P - Lehner 1940/8 - Schulze 105
Delta Force Cyber Storm (32" mono) - 10XL - 4S2P - Hydra 120
Delta Force Sniper (44" mono) - Lehner 3060/10 -10S2P - Schulze 40.160WK
Aeromarine Avenger Pro (44" cat) - Lehner 2280/12 - 10S2P - Schulze 40.160WK
1/8th scale Atlas Van Lines hydro - Neu 1527/1.5Y - 10S1P - Kontronik Jazz 63V

All use the Futaba 3PM 2.4 FASST radio. Three open memory slots left, but the money is all gone!!

All batteries are RCPoly 25C - 3700 (2S) or 5000 cells. A mix of 2S, 4S, and 6S packs.

For charging I use 2 Hyperion EOS0610i - DUOs and 1 EOS1210i.

SJFE
02-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Impressive collection of really nice boats. I know the sniper was ordered built. How many of them did you build?

steveo
02-09-2008, 11:16 AM
hey bill can you post some pics of your cyber storm boat i've lookin at that boat, how does it handle and how fast is it with your setup

Bill-SOCAL
02-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Sadly, very few, to get this many boats in a short time I bought most RTR. I did the SV with all the usual mods (sealing, etc.), I did the E-conversion on the TS2. I have just enough time to run and very little time to build.

But still and all, it took a good deal of time to set them up, put plugs on, re-do little things, get my radio set up in them, and trim them out at the lake.

I do the same with planes. All my gliders are molded composite planes, the big aerobatic planes are either composite ARF or built up wood.

I've built plenty of planes and some boats over the years, but now prefer to spend my time doing something besides building. Maybe when I retire I can spend more time at the building bench, but for now this is how I need to go.

kin
02-09-2008, 11:25 AM
wow im impress and at the same time envious of your worthy fleet bill, 3 more slots means u need to get 3 cats to complete the division u got there , small to big cats .... s,m and l

Bill-SOCAL
02-09-2008, 11:29 AM
hey bill can you post some pics of your cyber storm boat i've lookin at that boat, how does it handle and how fast is it with your setup

I'll try to take a few this weekend. It is a great boat. Perhaps my favorite right now.

I am still playing with props but so far the best I have gotten is 49.2 mph using a X452. If I can't get what I want with props I plan to drop a 9XL in it. I mostly will use this boat for P-Offshore and for that it is fine right now. P-mono will need more speed. The hull definitely feels like it can handle way more, I just need to find the right motor/prop combo to get what I want. Most of my effort is on the bigger boats right now. I just love big boats!!

Flying Scotsman
02-09-2008, 11:54 AM
A nice looking boat Bill and top notch hardware etc. Dying to hear how it runs in different water conditions. You must build your own one day, as it truly is fun and exasperating but well worth it in the long run.

Douggie

SJFE
02-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Maybe when I retire I can spend more time at the building bench, but for now this is how I need to go.

I have to agree with this. My question was motivated by my need to know how much time you invested constructing a fleet like that. To build a hull test & find I have made a big mistake is not something I can deal with right now. Compounding this is my lack of patients. I know I will just throw up my hands and sell it. So finding hulls built up by knowledgeable members of our community and adding my electrics has become the standered. I'm really selective about what I build now. It HAS to be fun. Like you said..Retirment will bring them time for building.

Bill-SOCAL
02-09-2008, 01:26 PM
A nice looking boat Bill and top notch hardware etc. Dying to hear how it runs in different water conditions. You must build your own one day, as it truly is fun and exasperating but well worth it in the long run.

Douggie

I've built several boats back when I was running nasty old nitro. 3.5 and 7.5 tunnels, a .45 mono (Steve Muck), a .65 and also a .90 mono (can't recall the hulls). That was over 20 years ago, and even then 65% nitro was no deal!!!

For now I am happy to let guys like Paul do their thing. He does exceptional work.

Boatman
02-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Wow, what a nice piece! That is almost one to leave on the shelf in fear it will get broke. Naaa. I notice your strut sets higher than I have read to have them. being a shallower angled hull does that make up the diff. or with that hull style is that the way is should run? I am really looking into a hull like this or one like Mr. SJFE has, the fountain rio, I think it is. I know they are different but to me they appeal the same. thanks for your pics and info!

Bill-SOCAL
02-09-2008, 04:33 PM
The bottom of the strut is 0.30 inches from the bottom. And this is not a shallow Vee, the pictures may make it look like that, but it isn't. Pachmayer likes to run the stut a touch high and I can't argue with it since it seems to work. By this time tomorrow I'll know how it works on this boat!! Oh, and it is a 1/4-inch drive too.

Doug Smock
02-09-2008, 09:33 PM
You must build your own one day, as it truly is fun and exasperating but well worth it in the long run.

Douggie

Absolutely!!!
The day I don't have time to build my own boats is the day I will run what I have or do something else with my time. When people ask me "did you build that?" I can proudly say yes.;)
Nothing against RTRs, just not for me.

You'll have a blast with that, good luck with her Bill!

Doug :smile:

Bill-SOCAL
02-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Absolutely!!!
The day I don't have time to build my own boats is the day I will run what I have or do something else with my time.

That day came for me when I started my own business. I only have to work a half day....But I get to pick which 12 hours that is!!

When people ask me "did you build that?" I can proudly say yes.;)

Sadly I have to hang my head in shame and say no.:sad:

But I can say that I busted my a$$ to earn the money to be able to afford to buy it :banana:

I buy my family cars already built too. I'm OK with that too.

Oh well. I'll struggle and try to have some fun with my store bought stuff!!

Doug Smock
02-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Sounds like I ruffled your feathers Bill,:sorry: that wasn't my intention.
I know it can be tough. I started my business back in 94. Sometimes I run it, sometimes it runs me.LOL

I'm sure you'll have a blast with your "store bought stuff":wink:

Doug:tiphat:

Bill-SOCAL
02-09-2008, 11:58 PM
Deleted double post.

Bill-SOCAL
02-09-2008, 11:58 PM
Sounds like I ruffled your feathers Bill,:sorry: that wasn't my intention.

Not at all. Just poking a little fun back. My next boat I plan to drill for the methane myself so I can make the fiberglass at home. Now THAT'S scratch building!! And I used to be a petroleum geologist, so that is right up my alley!!

Later

Doug Smock
02-10-2008, 12:10 AM
Not at all. Just poking a little fun back. My next boat I plan to drill for the methane myself so I can make the fiberglass at home. Now THAT'S scratch building!! And I used to be a petroleum geologist, so that is right up my alley!!

Later

LOL :laugh: Cool!
Doug

Flying Scotsman
02-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Bill, you proposed to run this hull yesterday, any update?

Douggie

Bill-SOCAL
02-11-2008, 06:20 PM
No I did not. The lake I was hoping to use was not available to me. My home lake, Legg Lake, is closed for a month while the County Parks folks rebuild the driver's stand and install other improvements, so I am stuck for water. There's a pond where an airplane club flies float planes, but it turns out they are not boat friendly!!

There is another pond where we are going to meet next weekend and I will post pictures and results then. It's killing me!!! I really want to get this boat in the water!!!

I can tell you that I weighed it and it is 17.2 pounds with batteries!!

Flying Scotsman
02-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Bill, that is a ton of weight. The proof will be in the pudding . I am still looking forward to your results.

Bill-SOCAL
02-11-2008, 06:41 PM
From what Paul Pachmayer tells me that is about right for a 10S set up. But as you say, once it runs we will know for sure!!

My Avenger Pro cat weighs exactly the same in 10S2P set up. It is running just under 60 mph right now and it makes this boat look small even though they are both 44 inches long!! The cat is running a 2280/12 and the Sniper is a 3060/10. Both 10S2P - Schulze 40.160.

hkusp45
02-12-2008, 12:09 AM
I cant wait to see it this weekend! Looks like it may just be a test and tune day.. I too have a new boat to test! I'll have the camera ready....

Bill-SOCAL
02-12-2008, 12:50 AM
Will you be at Prado on Saturday as well?? And will there be a retrieval boat?? I talked with the Rangers today and they say it cannot be an inflatable, which I could get a hold of one. It has to be a "solid" boat that you fit "inside"!! They seem pretty picky about that!!

I can't wait either. I'm trying to see if there is anywhere I can go before then.

I can make it out Saturday if you are going to be there and we can muster up a boat to make the Ranger's happy.

properchopper
02-12-2008, 10:05 AM
Will you be at Prado on Saturday as well?? And will there be a retrieval boat?? I talked with the Rangers today and they say it cannot be an inflatable, which I could get a hold of one. It has to be a "solid" boat that you fit "inside"!! They seem pretty picky about that!!

I can't wait either. I'm trying to see if there is anywhere I can go before then.

I can make it out Saturday if you are going to be there and we can muster up a boat to make the Ranger's happy.

I'm planning to be there Sunday & looking for a small trailer rowboat. Maybe we can find a small person to stick inside the Sniper :bounce:

Ocean Racer
02-18-2008, 12:14 AM
So did u test your boat out saturday????

Bill-SOCAL
02-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Yep.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=2632

5 runs total to date. 66 mph top speed. Drives great. Can't wait to race it!!

Ocean Racer
02-20-2008, 11:14 PM
sounds nice cant wait till i see a video save up for a camera so we can see it in action.