PDA

View Full Version : Bonding recomendations

jj2003
05-28-2011, 09:15 AM
After reading many of your posts about the terrible customer support from traxxas, I'm not going to bother with asking or even attemting to get any help from them. I cant see sending them my hull and waiting 3 months for it to be returned or replaced. I'm really pissed over the rude response I received from those brainless peices of crap:cursing:. Sorry about my earlier rant and all my foul language but a simple question turned me off of them completely. I've noticed a gap in the bow. Being plastic and not fibreglass, what type of epoxy is recomended for bonding the seam back up? Any help is greatly appreciated:help:

dag-nabit
05-28-2011, 10:44 AM
ABS plastic is normally bonded by "melting" or fusing the plastic together with glue that contains acetone and/or Methyl Ethyl Keytone (MEK) . (e.g. plastic model cement)

This will work well if the surfaces are mated well so the two pieces can bond properly.

I have never used this product, but have seen it recommended by others for use when the surfaces don't mate well or you have a gap to fill.
http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore.com/50-272-epoxy-adhesives/plastic-weld-5-minute-651856.aspx

I have also read that you can dissolve bits of ABS in acetone to make a bonding/filling agent. Again, I have never tried this, it also seems like a lot of mucking around considering there are good adhesives available commercially.

Kevin

Doug Smock
05-28-2011, 10:51 AM
I've used this in the past on various items with good results.
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epxy_plstc_s/overview/Loctite-Epoxy-Plastic-Bonder.htm

It should be available at your local home center.
D.

martin
05-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Devcon also do one specifically for plastics including for glass fibre & abs plastics as well as wood & metal called Plastic Weld, Its a 2 part very simular to the one Doug has suggested. Its available in hobby & hardware stores. Ive only used it on glass fibre & found it bonds better than most general epoxys that we use. Its also a 5minute glue. The other alternative i believe for plastics is Express Stabilit which has been around for years but is quite expensive. Martin.

wilsta67
05-28-2011, 03:21 PM
After reading many of your posts about the terrible customer support from traxxas, I'm not going to bother with asking or even attemting to get any help from them. I cant see sending them my hull and waiting 3 months for it to be returned or replaced. I'm really pissed over the rude response I received from those brainless peices of crap:cursing:. Sorry about my earlier rant and all my foul language but a simple question turned me off of them completely. I've noticed a gap in the bow. Being plastic and not fibreglass, what type of epoxy is recomended for bonding the seam back up? Any help is greatly appreciated:help:
probably not what you want to hear, but after buying and owning this boat myself and using it regular basis it the boat will not last. im sorry to say but your worries are not over with this cheaply made toy.
if i were you id count your losses fix it up the best you can and sell it while you can get some money for it. and buy something decent like a miss geico or the like.
just my 2 cents worth.

Will

jj2003
05-29-2011, 12:56 AM
Thank you all for the responses. Just to get more life out of her, were going to repair it with the loctite epoxy. I visited the hobby shop where we purchasd the boat and spoke to one of the FE guys there. Showed him what happened and pointed me in the right direction. My plan of action is to get her back up, let my son have some fun, purchase a Miss Gieco or possibly the Rio 51. It really caught my eye at the store. Gas powered and just looks evil! The MG also looked nice as well as the UL-1. Tough choice now! Thanks again guys, this place is awesome!