PDA

View Full Version : broken shaft again

davey
05-27-2011, 06:46 PM
..Just puzzled ??..went to hobby store and paided for a new shaft , bushing and prop,,,,installed everything ,,went to lake ,,,was home in less then 5 minutes...wife says,,,let me guess ??...yuppers she 's broke
One question though...the bushing was very tight on prop shaft and not in the strut,,,whats with that ?...does this bushing turn with prop...is this something new...cause this one does....someone help...or she is for sale...:help::cursing:

Diesel6401
05-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Well that sucks. I assume it was the stock shaft again, correct? What I would do is get AQ to refund the shaft again shouldn't be an issue. Sell the new shaft when you get it. Grab a new octura shaft or the MC replacement shaft steve has on sale here also maybe try a nice speedmaster or aeromarine teflon bushing they are really cheap.

All in all being around the boating scene for a few years, if this is the only real issue to date with the production models. Consider it a success... It's common in rc and outside of rc for things like this to happen. Thing about all the cars or electronic equipment ect that gets recalled for problems. Happens all the time. Perfect example and not sure if you play video games or not, but I have had 4 xbox 360's crap out on me. Microsoft has a great repair service on it, sucks it happens, but they (like good companies should) recognize they had a problem and take care of it quickly and free of charge. Aquacraft and hobby services is the same way. They know theres a problem they will take care of you and the problems as well. Just be patient with them which I know can be hard to do. There's a reason most of us including myself deal with aq and pb because we know darin and grim are all over any problems that can arise and try to solve them quickly as possible and are backed by companies who care about custmers and have GREAT customer service. I have no doubt grim and aq will get this taking care of...

davey
05-27-2011, 07:57 PM
I took the shaft apart and re soldered it and it broke a third time ...I"m now thinking its binding,,,that bushing is tight around the shaft...when you give er the flex shaft shortens and the bushing binds on the copper tube causing it to break.....why is that bushing super tight on the prop shaft...I believe its binding,,,I will try it with more space between the bushing and the stuffing tube...if you look on the bushing,,,it has a bigger flange on one end...thats whats hitting the tube

davey
05-27-2011, 08:01 PM
I have bought a flex cable from steve...its not here yet...but...I'd like to know why that bushing is to tight,,,,on my gas boats,,the bushings are pressed into the strut...so the strut don't wear...this Motley crew set is not rite....or maybe i have the wrong parts ...butI don't think so

Diesel6401
05-27-2011, 08:14 PM
I have bought a flex cable from steve...its not here yet...but...I'd like to know why that bushing is to tight,,,,on my gas boats,,the bushings are pressed into the strut...so the strut don't wear...this Motley crew set is not rite....or maybe i have the wrong parts ...butI don't think so

Stupid question but you do have a good gap between the drive dog and strut correct? At least the diameter of the cable? Just covering all bases...

Weird, maybe try a different bushing http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ros-spds-014-bsf is the cable greaed really really good. Is the alignment off really bad. May have to tear everything down and inspect.

davey
05-27-2011, 08:47 PM
The gap is a 1/4 "...but tell me...does that bushing fit tight on the shaft or in the strut

toyotatruckin
05-27-2011, 08:55 PM
the bushing should NOT be tight on the stub shaft, the deuce had/has the same issue, thats why when i started making upgrade shafts for rtrs I provide a new bushing with them, its hit and miss some work right others dont, personally I will not run stock RTR shafts, a shaft mass produced with little to no quality control is a problem waiting to happen, Usually any of the aftermarket shaft makers-Myself, Steve, Ed, and a few others will not let a bad shaft go out the door to a customer. There are things that need looked at if you keep breaking shafts over and over again, if there is a problem other than the shaft itself even an aftermarket replacement will break..
Like already said, its an RTR if the shaft and alignment of things is all thats wrong with it thats doing good ;)

toyotatruckin
05-27-2011, 09:01 PM
The gap is a 1/4 "...but tell me...does that bushing fit tight on the shaft or in the strut

3/16 1/4 is fine for a gap--
bushing should NOT fit tight on the stubshaft at all--
bushing should slide right on into the stuffing tube/strut--if the bushing is tight in the strut expect it to wear faster if it spins in the end of the strut and stuffing tube expect it to last a really long time pending you grease it properly. Expect a bushing to be a "wear" part meaning something that will need replaced over time and use

detox
05-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Sometimes the holes inside bushing will have burrs. These need to be removed. Test for simple slip fit next time.

Diesel6401
05-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Like mentioned it should not be tight onthe stub shaft. I also very rarely use stock rtr flexcables or couplers. I normally always run octura couplers and either hyperformance or octura drive cables. The only exception is my MG. It's the only RTR boat I am running the stock coupler and flexcable. If the stubshafts are poor in being true that could led to a lot of problems. I put 4 runs on my stock cable waiting for my upgraded cable to arrive. Should be here today or tomorrow then I am done with it. I already changed the stock coupler out to an octura. That was second think to get pulled off (deans connectors being first :tongue_smilie:)

Rumdog
05-27-2011, 09:11 PM
The bushing should be a slip fit into the stuffing tube, and likewise the propshaft in the bushing. It is designed so that the bushing can spin inside the stuffing tube/strut and the prop shaft can also spin inside the bushing. That way it is dividing up the rotational friction.
Just buy a standard octura or hughey .150 cable with 3/16" prop shaft.

detox
05-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Jeff Wohlt makes good flex shafts. He has made me some custom versions with longer prop shaft. Longer Shaft runs full length of bushing for better support (same price as regular version)
http://www.rcraceboat.com/Storewiredrive.html

detox
05-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Test roll your flex cable/shaft on smooth glass surface (stove top) to check for wobble. All Aquacraft flex cables I have checked allways had some wobble at soldered joint (wobble is bad). Aftermarket versions have allways rolled true for me (no wobble).

davey
05-27-2011, 09:53 PM
I found the problem (I think)...when I ordered the flex shaft from AQ I ordered 2 bushings,,etc,,,same parts numbers,,,1 bushing had to be hammered on and the other slid on nice...so I think AQ should check there parts...there inconsistent which will cause anyone to have grey hair fast