PDA

View Full Version : Fast Charge vs. Balance

nosreme722
05-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Can I just do a fast charge and then top it off with a balance charge? Will that be sufficient or do I need to sometimes do a full balance charge? :huh:

Just trying to get fast charge times and give my batts a good life, thanks.

Fluid
05-27-2011, 03:45 PM
What cells? What charger?

nosreme722
05-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Two Turnigy 2s 5200mah 30-40c (I think, not 100% sure on the C) and a Sky B6AC+ takes about an 1hr 20min for each, then i top off with the balance charge.

SweetZ28
05-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Two Turnigy 2s 5200mah 30-40c (I think, not 100% sure on the C) and a Sky B6AC+ takes about an 1hr 20min for each, then i top off with the balance charge.

Most of the chargers if you connect the balance lead to the charger and charge in fast mode they still balance the cells they just shut off charge faster at 95% charge in this mode so you lose a little MAH not much maybe 100 or so.

sailr
05-27-2011, 08:14 PM
True balance charging is very slow. You really don't need to balance every time. The best thing to do is invest in a battery checker that lets you read the volts in each cell through the balance plug. Check the pack, if it's balanced, just charge it normally. Most likely you need to balance only every 3rd cycle or so and if you are using high quality packs, like hyperions, less than that.

The few remaining HK batts I have, I balance every time. They are horrible about getting out of balance. After having brand new ones puff up, packs arriving DOA, and having them explode in the storage cabinet for no reason, I will never buy any more of the HK batteries. They may seem cheap but when they don't last long or arrive bad right out of the gate, they become very expensive.

nosreme722
05-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Is there anything I have to do manually to get a true balance? Like what current rate etc? The turnigy batts are from hk but.. obviously not hk brand

SweetZ28
05-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Is there anything I have to do manually to get a true balance? Like what current rate etc? The turnigy batts are from hk but.. obviously not hk brand

Most chargers have a menu that state lipo charge, lipo balance charge, fast lipo charge, always balance charge... also in lipo fast mode if you connect the balancer taps it should also balance when charging...if you use this mode look you will see each cells voltage if they stay the same then your charger also balances in fast lipo mode .