PDA

View Full Version : ProBoat's new 29" Mystic Brushless catamaran

Pages : [1] 2

lomdel
05-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Anyone seen this before : http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB4075 ? Looks like Darin is a busy man!

Darin Jordan
05-26-2011, 09:51 AM
Anyone seen this before : http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB4075 ? Looks like Darin is a busy man!

FINALLY!!! Cat's out of the bag!!

This is the same basic hull as the Miss Geico, but with some revised hardware, a different motor/ESC., and some other little details. It's been in works for quite a while (Since about the minute the Miss Geico actually hit the market! ) We wanted something that the racer and Sport driver could customize better (white base paint, minimal decals), and thought it was a good opportunity to have something a little hotter in the motor/ESC department.

Should be a nice addition to the lineup.

My personal early sample is actually all race-prepped, and on it's way to Ken Haines right now (mailed it yesterday). Ken will be racing it at the FE Nationals in Offshore... Here are a shot of the hardware setup.

sailr
05-26-2011, 09:57 AM
Is the hull gelcoat or paint finish?

Darin Jordan
05-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Is the hull gelcoat or paint finish?

It's white paint. Same finish that all the other RTR boats in the lineup have.

Darin Jordan
05-26-2011, 10:01 AM
Here is the promotional video from the ProBoat site:

http://www.proboatmodels.com/ProdInfo/Files/PRB4075-Hi.wmv

http://www.proboatmodels.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB4075

sailr
05-26-2011, 10:04 AM
I wish the RTR's would get away from paint and use gelcoat. Much more durable in my opinion. Cost difference is almost null considering the extra prep that paint requires.

Looks like a great boat though! Ken's gonna kill us in LSO! Yikes!

It's white paint. Same finish that all the other RTR boats in the lineup have.

lomdel
05-26-2011, 10:08 AM
Any shots of the inside Darin? What size flex-shaft is used?

wakeboardfusion
05-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Looks like a great boat! I may have to pick one up in june. Its not too steep of a price either which is good.

tiqueman
05-26-2011, 10:18 AM
Makes sense now. HYDROJERRY just mentioned yesterday I think that he ordered a new "Geico" and it was said that its coming w/ the offset rudder.

Very nice Darin. Glad to see you worked at it and also listened to what "we the people" had to say about it. :beerchug:

Any chance you got PB to do anything about the little wires on the motor yet? I ran mine in LSO last weekend using a detongued 642, 1800KV PB motor and a 120A speedy and it ran pretty darn hot compared to its same speed using the M445 and 1500 motor. Any thoughts? I checked all the obvious, drive line binding etc and everything seemed fine. What prop might you recommend for the 1800 set up? or is that not public yet :spy: I also sent you a PM regarding this and something else I think yesterday or the day b4.

Darin Jordan
05-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Any shots of the inside Darin? What size flex-shaft is used?

You know, I'm not sure I do. I'll have to look at home.

The inside is simlar to the MG. They placed the steering servo a little differently, and the battery trays are extended aft, almost all the way back. I'm pretty sure they'll have full pictures up on the site in the coming days.

I didn't even know this was getting posted, which shows you how in the loop I am at times... :doh:

Darin Jordan
05-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Oh, Flex is a .150... Should be the same shaft as the MG.

Darin Jordan
05-26-2011, 10:25 AM
It's also going to be release in two versions... Plug and Play, and as a RTR. Plug and Play= you add your RX and supply the TX. Should address the needs better of all of those "Other" radio users... :D

Plug and Play will be released first. RTR will be coming out at a later time (later this year, I believe).

detox
05-26-2011, 10:43 AM
It's also going to be release in two versions... Plug and Play, and as a RTR. Plug and Play= you add your RX and supply the TX. Should address the needs better of all of those "Other" radio users... :D

Plug and Play will be released first. RTR will be coming out at a later time (later this year, I believe).

Base White, plug and play, nice hardware. Darin thanks for listening. I do not need another stupid radio.

Now develop the perfect 30" Hydro:thumbup1:

JMSCARD
05-26-2011, 10:47 AM

when will the plug and play be available Darren? Oh I see it now on Horizons Site... says late june... hopefully this will hold true...

Darin Jordan
05-26-2011, 10:51 AM
when will the plug and play be available Darren? Oh I see it now on Horizons Site... says late june... hopefully this will hold true...

I can't make any promises, since this is WAY outside of my paygrade, but I WAS told that they were already packaged up in a container and were in the process of being shipped here, so we'll see.

siberianhusky
05-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Cool! white, minimal stickers! Just put this one at the top of the list for me!
Much prefer to paint my own boats, lol hate having the exact same looking anything as someone else!

JackBlack26
05-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Base White, plug and play, nice hardware. Darin thanks for listening. I do not need another stupid radio.

Now develop the perfect 30" Hydro:thumbup1:

+100!

Now that offset bracket looks AWESOME!! Also, just saw the AQ, MC at the LHS and the finish looks like ass. The finish on the MG is close to flawless. The white makes it easier to swap in tqueman's FG lid too. I have an MG that's all white now but I will be picking up PNP version, for sure. Hopefully they let the paint sure all the way before installing the stickers so that one can change the scheme.

airman66285
05-26-2011, 11:35 AM
+100!

Now that offset bracket looks AWESOME!! Also, just saw the AQ, MC at the LHS and the finish looks like ass. The finish on the MG is close to flawless. The white makes it easier to swap in tqueman's FG lid too. I have an MG that's all white now but I will be picking up PNP version, for sure. Hopefully they let the paint sure all the way before installing the stickers so that one can change the scheme.
Not so fast on using one of Tqueman's hatches....I just noticed that the new PB Mystic hull is 29" long with a 9" beam. The MG has a 30" length and an 11" beam. The new boat looks a little smaller so I don't know if it will fit right.

scoota
05-26-2011, 12:26 PM
They sorted the rudder issue , why couldnt PB do some thing about the joke of a cheap a$$ hatch ??? Guess the MG hatch is a bloody good money maker for them ....

JackBlack26
05-26-2011, 12:42 PM
Not so fast on using one of Tqueman's hatches....I just noticed that the new PB Mystic hull is 29" long with a 9" beam. The MG has a 30" length and an 11" beam. The new boat looks a little smaller so I don't know if it will fit right.

I'm sure Scott will make it work. A little tweak her and a little shave there. Worst case at least now we all know to ether glass or CF the inside of the lid. No big deal, IMO.

tiqueman
05-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Looks like the same hatch. And mine can come white. :thumbup1: But will the whites match?

tiqueman
05-26-2011, 01:57 PM

Just saw this... :unsure:

Kinda lame if they made a whole new boat just to make it ARTR that was just a shy narrower and shorter. :confused2: Did Darin really let that happen?

Darin Jordan
05-26-2011, 01:57 PM

They are exactly the same hull, guys... Just a new crew doing the write-ups...

As for the hatch... this boat is SUPPOSE to also get an upgraded hatch... same design, likely same material, but thicker material. I haven't been able to verify that that happened, but that was the plan. I'll see what I can find out.

tiqueman
05-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Da dada daaahhhh Darin to the rescue! :beerchug:

Diesel6401
05-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Damn it I told the wife no more new boats this year... O well she'll get over it....... I hope

tiqueman
05-26-2011, 02:44 PM
Never say that D! It always ends in a broken promise. Always. :laugh:

Doby
05-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Question Darin:

Is the PB 1800 KV motor one of the new "approved" motors that recently got added to the list for P Spec?

Please lets not get off on a totally different tangent here folks...just looking for a yes or no.:biggrin:

Darin Jordan
05-26-2011, 03:11 PM
question darin:

Is the pb 1800 kv motor one of the new "approved" motors that recently got added to the list for p spec?

Please lets not get off on a totally different tangent here folks...just looking for a yes or no.:biggrin:

yes!

Doby
05-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Excellent....end of that topic.:thumbup1:

Darin Jordan
05-26-2011, 03:31 PM
Excellent....end of that topic.:thumbup1:

:Peace_Sign:

Doby
05-26-2011, 03:32 PM
So now we will have two pretty well identically sized and powered boats on the market right out of the box. MC and this one.....excellent for an apples to apples comparison.

LSO is getting better and better. Well done AQ and PB.

tiqueman
05-26-2011, 03:55 PM
So now we will have two pretty well identically sized and powered boats on the market right out of the box. MC and this one.....excellent for an apples to apples comparison.

LSO is getting better and better. Well done AQ and PB.

:iagree: Very well done to both PB and AC.

Rumdog
05-26-2011, 04:19 PM
Yay! Great looking boat. PB and AQ are goin at it huh? I havent had a rtr in some time, but there are a couple looking pretty sweet right now!

Darin Jordan
05-26-2011, 04:31 PM
The sample I sent to Ken to race at the Nats is pretty much how it comes, with the exception of the Octura coupler I installed, and the upgraded contacts on the motor and ESC. I also did some blue-printing on the sponsons and put 2-Part foam up in the nose. Stuff anyone could do, which will make it more trouble-free during the course of a race weekend.

I've never had this sample in the water, so Ken is going to have to dial it in a bit. Hopefully I have it close off the bench and he settles in on a prop quickly. Should be pretty simple to figure out.

I'm very happy that PB and AQ are able to supply the community with some quality RTRs that actually have a legit place to go race now! Should be good for participation in this fun and exciting hobby of ours!

Diesel6401
05-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Never say that D! It always ends in a broken promise. Always. :laugh:

When I call looking for a place to "stay/vacation" for a few days/weeks/months/years..... You will know how well she got over it... :tongue_smilie:

Looks like I need to make some room on the shelf for this bad boy...

LiPo Power
05-26-2011, 04:44 PM
Damn, I just got my MG.....
Well, time for garage sale on some of the staff to get mula for new boat....

tiqueman
05-26-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm very happy that PB and AQ are able to supply the community with some quality RTRs that actually have a legit place to go race now! Should be good for participation in this fun and exciting hobby of ours!

Well said. I cringe telling people, "oh yeah, the boats $xxx.xx, but you need to do this and this and this and this if you want it to be competitive and race worthy. Darin and Grim are doing a great job of handling and resolving the "this and this" things.

Those who know me and those who run w/ me know how much I love my PBMG. Started out shaky, but now we're in a serious relationship. :smile: This new one seems like its going to be love at first run.

Darin, has the bushing issue that some have come accross been addressed?

GP73
05-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Uh?

It's the same boat and you already have the offset rudder and the reinforced hatch...

Or you don't like yellow? :lol:

Damn, I just got my MG.....
Well, time for garage sale on some of the staff to get mula for new boat....

Darin Jordan
05-26-2011, 05:12 PM
Darin, has the bushing issue that some have come accross been addressed?

Good Question... I had forgotten about that. The new hardware was spec'd to have lead-teflon bushings, instead of the brass-ish bushing that is in the MG. That's what appeared to have been the case in the sample I sent to Ken. I did look at it when put the shaft back in after doing the blueprinting on the bottom. I'll confirm when I get the Production sample.

tiqueman
05-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Brass-ish :roflol: Awesome Thanks!

HYDROJERRY
05-26-2011, 05:21 PM
''O God'' its killing me heres anew one and i just cant get my MG fast enough everywere you look cats cats,,O shipping please hurry!!!!

dana
05-26-2011, 05:54 PM
you see what happens when you get involved and listen to what the boats guys are saying about it.... you get the next version with the necessary upgrades done and proven. nice work proboat :thumbup1::buttrock:

ron1950
05-26-2011, 09:43 PM
darin we may not always see eye to eye but great minds think alike here.....my mg has the 1800 from the stiletto and a 120a esc....is that the same motor in the mystic>? ill get to see kens next week

nosreme722
05-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Just bought a brand new MG.. just missed it.. just barely. Still a great boat though :thumbup1:

tiqueman
05-26-2011, 11:11 PM
Aww its Rons softer side :crying: beautiful... :lol: Id imagine its the same motor and esc as the Stilletto. Ron, what prop are you spinning on yours? 642?

Incase anyone is interested, this may help answer some questions or wonder about the 1800 motor. This is my latest Geico that I recently picked up like new but it came w/ the 1800PB motor. I ran it on a detongued and slight tip cup 642, 4S2P turnigy packs 4000mah, 30C. My original Geico set up was the factory 1500 motor, a 120A speedy and a M445 slightly modded. It showed a consistant 42 to 43 mph on a garmin forerunner 101 gps. Running against the MM thats shown in this vid, we came to the conclusion that although complete different set ups, props etc, the boats were within .1 or 2 mph of eachother. Running the new (used) boat this past weekend, the MM and the Geico are still almost the same speed. So I recon you will be in the low 40s w/ the ease of a simple prop swap. However, in a 4 min LSO heat, it ran quite a bit warmer than Id like. Also, this was its first run of me owning it, so theres a bit of bounce and the wa-wa, come 2nd run which was not recorded, I got almost all of it out. And mind you for those that are still stuck on a offset rudder fixing the wa-wa. Heres proof its all in the strut and cog. This one HAS the offset.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC_RbB_5exc

ron1950
05-26-2011, 11:32 PM
ii have always ran the 642 on mine.....i found the sweet spot for the batteries and no waa waass's told ya scott come over to the nats with me.....

d.a.v.e
05-26-2011, 11:52 PM
Do you know are there any plans to sell the rudder offset, bushing upgrade, etc separately for those of us with the older version?

tiqueman
05-27-2011, 12:00 AM
Dave, you can do the offset using the Octura stand-offs for pretty close to nothing. The bushings quite easy as well, just FYI.

Wish I could make it over there Ron but its just not do-able. I would like to put my hands on the new PB hardware though, just to get close and personal w/ it. Looks nice. Ill get Bill and Chris to get me some stills.

ron1950
05-27-2011, 01:46 AM
like scot says the parts will be out soon enough and the octura standoffs are inexpensive...i finally had to go to kentec standoff as i cant stop hitting buoys and the octura standoffs dont seem to hold up very well .....i seem to strip the standoffs when i repair the rudder

steveo
05-28-2011, 07:52 AM
looks like i will be seeing this boat in action first hand next friday,

d.a.v.e
05-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Will they still be making the green Miss Gieco hauls or will they all be white now? I dig the green, its different.

tiqueman
05-28-2011, 12:23 PM
I havent heard of them discontinuing the Miss Geico. And I hope they dont. It is something different and in my opinion looks good. I do like how well the green shows up on the water. The issue is when a bunch are running in the same class... gets confusing. Hate drivina lap realizing I was driving someone elses boat. :laugh:

d.a.v.e
05-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Yea I remember those days when the slash was new :)

mavdriver
05-30-2011, 01:18 AM
Geez am I late on singning up glad I waited was planninin on The MG , but I like the Mystic white hull you can do allot with it , and happen to have a spare mr 3000 receiver . :beerchug:

wppracing
05-31-2011, 09:33 PM
By looking at the rear of the boat, Is the flex shaft/prop off set to the left ?

Darin Jordan
05-31-2011, 10:13 PM
By looking at the rear of the boat, Is the flex shaft/prop off set to the left ?

No... just the rudder...

Stingray
06-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Will a stock Mystic be -much- faster than a stock MG with its new Motor and ESC ?

I have a MG with Kintec offset rudder and x642 prop. Everything else is stock. So no real reason for me to switch I guess.

ron1950
06-02-2011, 06:47 PM
saw the mystic today at the nats......it looks really good......the standoff rudder is alot farther to the side then the geigo but the white hull is very nice and the finish was outstanding.....havent seen it run yet thats tomorrow....it will have alot of compatition (not frm me i drive like hell) but ken is really a experenced driver .... lots of different boats in the lso class, titans,geigo's motly crews etc

oh ya the wind is blowing here like 20 mph...boats were blowing over all day

Brushless55
06-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Damn it I told the wife no more new boats this year... O well she'll get over it....... I hope

:lol:

sweet looking cat by the way! :Peace_Sign:

Darin Jordan
06-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Great Results! Looks like Ken Haines was able to drive my ProBoat Mystic cat to a 4th place overall finishe in P-Limited Offshore at the FE Nats!! Nice work, Ken!! Can't wait to hear how things went and what your setup ended up being! :thumbup1:

Day 2 FE Nats Results (http://www.rcracingevents.com/cgi-bin/raceresults.pl?action=show_race&club=Wave Blasters of Florida&event=2011nambafenationalsd2)

Thirddegree
06-08-2011, 04:30 AM
so when will these be available?

iamandrew
06-08-2011, 04:47 AM
I wish theyd made the hatch cutout more of a rectangle....!

maxmekker
06-08-2011, 04:58 AM
I see there is a desing difference between the Kintec and proboat offset rudder.
Any word on that, less drag ore is the kintec patend protected, ore anything else.

I got the kintec on my MG last night and it did nothing to stop the bouncing.Also the boat felt a tad slower once installed also.

tiqueman
06-08-2011, 09:33 AM
I had the new MG29 in my hand over the weekend as I was at the Nats. The offset is done well and looks nice. Other than that, everything is the same as on the Geico hull. (except electronics) I did not see it run but was told by several it did still have the bounce. Ive said this as has Darin a hundred times on here. The offset has nothing to do w/ getting the bounce out. Its all about trim and finding the right cog. Even when trimmed out right, these hulls seem to not want to settle until they are above 40-41mph. In fact, several people on here have gotten the bounce out and still use the inline set up. The offset should not have slowed you down at all. the only thing it should change is it should help to hold speed throughout a turn. It will still slow a little, but not near as much as it did w/ the rudder inline.

maxmekker
06-08-2011, 10:19 AM
I know Tique, I've read several places about cog and adjustment, but I had to try it.
here is from last night with the offset,and 4s and 5s testing, lipo far front center, and all the way back, strutt up and down etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd0rElsUsZY&feature=channel_video_title

will try another prop than prather 215 that's on now.

tiqueman
06-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Max, Sending you a PM to keep this thread from getting to far O.T.

Vbuser
06-08-2011, 11:07 AM
The Mystic I saw run at the nats did NOT have a bounce like the Geico. I did take a video, but my son lost the cell phone it was on. I thought he texted the video to Darin, so I will check.

tiqueman
06-08-2011, 11:11 AM
The Mystic I saw run at the nats did NOT have a bounce like the Geico. I did take a video, but my son lost the cell phone it was on. I thought he texted the video to Darin, so I will check.

That would be interesting to see. Im only going from what I heard, but like I said, I was told it bounced by at least 3 people. In any event, my point was, the offset doesnt change that. They are the same boats therefore will have the same issues and have to be set up properly to keep out the "wah wah wah" :beerchug:

tunnelvision
06-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Found a nice vid of the Horizon people talking about the new Mystic. Review starts at about 6:30. Nice up close look at the boat. My pop has the Geico and its a great boat, I think I might be selling off some of my stuff to get this. Looks like a great upgraded package.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkiC6aB3yvI&feature=related

lonneyb
06-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Well he took a 4th overall in it so it cant be all bad LOL..."wah wah wah" or no "wah wah wah" hahahaha
its a MUCH improved package over the MG and i refuse to call it the MG29 hahahaha....and since i have one coming its makes me biased...the MYSTIC is not due to ship to Canada until June the 20th!

arp1500
06-12-2011, 09:48 PM
is it true that with the offset rudder the boat will only turn one direction
i was told by proboat that this boat was made for racing and it only really turns one way

tiqueman
06-12-2011, 10:02 PM
It still turns both ways. Just not as well left. In offshore class racing there is a left turn.

arp1500
06-13-2011, 06:48 AM
ok cool, i really like the mystic mainly because its white and then the bigger motor
so can i run it as just a normal boat playing in the lake and pond or should i get the mg

proboat told me to get the mg unless i was racing

ron1950
06-17-2011, 07:49 PM

my geigo was at the nats and it didnt bounce ether....it had a driver with no deepth perception but still turned 11 laps in one heat.......u guys are going ga ga for the mystic...its cool and all....id get one if my geigo was crap but its the same boat after i made mods to it......the good thing about the mystic to me is that the mods are allready made for you....:banana:.....prop and battery placemnt is all u need to get rid of the waa waaa's

rmbelair
06-30-2011, 08:37 PM
Can anyone tell me when this boat will actually be purchasable and deliverable and were will be the best place to buy it first?

jasoncyclone
06-30-2011, 10:56 PM
I just ordered mine from horizon and was told that they "should" have them July 10 and I should get it within a week... I am not holding my breath but I am crossing my fingures!!!! Jason

rmbelair
07-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Thanks Jason that works for me.

midnightsabotage
07-08-2011, 01:10 AM
So, I've been following this thread for a while eagerly anticipating this model and knowing I had to have it for my first "real" marine model. I ended up pre-ordering late last night. I looked at my order information just a few minutes ago and I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but now it reads:

Your Order
Horizon Order #: XXXXXXX
Submitted: 07/07/2011 Shipped: 07/07/2011
Warehouse: IL Source: Web
Shipping Method: Ground

I had to register right away and post this to see if anyone else's pre-order for the Mystic PNP now reads "shipped", as it didn't say that earlier in the day. I haven't received any shipping notification e-mails yet, also the funds have not left my bank account (though it usually takes 2-3 days for charges to show up there anyhow).
The only item in my order was this boat, so it's not a partial order shipment or anything like that that it could be meant for.

I'll keep you guys updated, but let me know what your orders say - for those of you who have pre-ordered.

Oh, and since I've finally registered, hello everyone! You guys have a great forum going here and I thank you for all the useful info I've come across reading through various threads!
-Jeff

johnf
07-08-2011, 01:20 AM
If you do have one on the way, post some good pics when you get it.

GP73
07-08-2011, 01:21 AM
Woohoo! Congrats!!! :banana:

midnightsabotage
07-11-2011, 12:23 AM
I'll definitely try to hold my excitement long enough for a few good pictures before I run off to the nearest lake... But no promises! :w00t:

I was very excited when I saw the pink package notification slip in the mailbox on Saturday. Too bad it was after my apartment office closed for the day so I had to wait until noon on Sunday. And sure enough when I went to get the package, it turned out to be a CD my roommate ordered from amazon. D'oh! I had all sorts of doubts that it would be my boat anyhow, but still I couldn't help but be disappointed.

I still have not received an official shipping notification e-mail, nor have the funds left my bank account. Has anybody else heard anything or received a shipping notification yet?

On an unrelated note, my neighbor who works at a hobby shop had someone come in yesterday looking for a bunch of parts for their Supervee 27 and after some talking decided they didn't want to take the time & money to fix it. My neighbor noted that he knew a guy (me) who was looking for a boat, and the customer said I could have it for $40. Needs a motor and a flexshaft/prop/stuffing tube, but has a good hull/ESC/servo/hardware. Apparently he tried to run a Traxxas Velineon 3500 motor in it or something? So now we'll see what I get in the water first, the SV project boat, or my Mystic. :thumbup:

roadrashracing
07-11-2011, 12:33 AM
I would not hold your breath: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB4075S

midnightsabotage
07-11-2011, 12:46 AM
I ordered the PNP: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB4075
It comes out before the RTR, - used to say Mid July, now they removed that part, which should mean good things... *holds breath*
:thumbup1:

gek1946
07-11-2011, 12:48 AM
how will the new boat perform on 5s? Are there changes needed or can you use the stock electronics fopr 5S?

midnightsabotage
07-11-2011, 06:13 PM
So, I e-mailed & also spoke on the telephone with Horizon Hobbies about my order (what a crazy idea, right?) and it's official that the release date has actually been pushed back and that my order history status was a mistake. Oh well. The PNP is looking like they'll get it in the last week of July and the RTR will be early August. So I'd say anyone would be lucky to unbox a Mystic this month.

I went ahead and cancelled my pre-order so the funds won't get tied up for now. I hope to re-order it again as the release gets closer though. Until then, it's time to get some SV27 parts... and maybe a DX3c to put me in a good mood again!

gek - as for the 5s question, the guys with the Stiletto might be able to tell you, I believe that has the same power system already as the Mystic is going to have. The 1500 Miss Geico motor would handle 5s with a 60amp speed control if i'm not mistaken, but i'm not sure what the increase to the mystic 1800kv motor would require for a speed control.

sailr
07-12-2011, 09:39 AM
what sort of SV27 parts are you looking for? I have several SV27's laying around collecting dust.

midnightsabotage
07-12-2011, 01:47 PM
what sort of SV27 parts are you looking for? I have several SV27's laying around collecting dust.

I'll send you a PM, don't want to run off topic here.

midnightsabotage
07-18-2011, 03:51 AM
The Horizon site now displays the PNP as available in Early September, and the RTR in Late August.

If this boat gets delayed any further, the lakes in Minnesota here are going to freeze before I can even get one.
:scared:

Derrick Davis
07-18-2011, 11:33 AM
I hear you midnight! I'm anxious to get the Mystic on the water too. In fact, according to the Horizon website the Mystic won't be out until early September. I'm guessing (others here would know better) that they want to make sure everything is right with this boat. Heck, maybe it's a manufacturer issue. I do recall last summer waiting....and waiting...and waiting for the Geico to come out. They pushed out delivery a number of times only to have the issue with the flex shaft discovered after the boat was on store shelves AND in peoples hands that had purchased them. It happens.
I never did get the Geico. Glad I didn't. I don't have the skills or patience that alot of the kind folks on here have to do mods and upgrades (although I did just sharpen and balance my first prop :biggrin:). The Geico is a fine looking boat no doubt! The Mystic sounds like just what the doctor ordered...for me. :tongue_smilie:
So, until Sept....I guess I'll keep waiting to add a third Proboat to my small fleet. :popcorn2:
P.S. Even though we're going to have heat in the high 90s and low 100s this week in Minnesota....we'll have a thin layer of ice forming on our favorite boating lakes before we know it! :eek: Heres to Mystic delivery sooner than later!:Praying:
Proboat fan

jasoncyclone
07-18-2011, 05:58 PM
I am right there with you guys,,,,, Just waiting for my Mystic. I hope that it is worth the wait!!! I will just have to finish my MeanMachine in the meantime!!!

midnightsabotage
07-19-2011, 12:11 AM
Atleast when the first week in September rolls around, I'll have had more time to save money for it.

I really wish the RTR came out at the same time as the PNP, $40 more for a Spektrum MR200 receiver is a good deal. I hope to pick up the DX3c sometime this month, so it would have been perfect. But I'm not going to wait nearly 2 more months to save $10 with the RTR.

I do think I'm going to wait until the day the site actually says "in-stock" so that I'm not hit with the shipping charge though. Free shipping for $99+ orders doesn't apply to pre-orders. I think that's pretty bogus.

gek1946
07-19-2011, 11:22 AM
You know, I'm not sure I do. I'll have to look at home.

The inside is simlar to the MG. They placed the steering servo a little differently, and the battery trays are extended aft, almost all the way back. I'm pretty sure they'll have full pictures up on the site in the coming days.

I didn't even know this was getting posted, which shows you how in the loop I am at times... :doh:

Darin can you tell me if the new Mystic is capableof running on 5s right out of the box or will it need some changes

Thanks

sailr
07-19-2011, 11:34 AM
From what I understand, the Mystic has vastly improved hardware on it too.

ron1950
07-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Darin can you tell me if the new Mystic is capableof running on 5s right out of the box or will it need some changes

Thanks

its whatever a 60amp speed control can handle.....its a good esc dont get me wrong but if u are going to run bigger batteries u might want to look into a bigger speedy...darin did do some 6 cell runs on one as i recall and smoked it so take it as you will on 5cell

gek1946
07-20-2011, 08:06 PM
I just ordered mine from horizon and was told that they "should" have them July 10 and I should get it within a week... I am not holding my breath but I am crossing my fingures!!!! Jason

I talked to Horizon today and its going to be the end of August

wrxwhit
07-23-2011, 09:20 PM
I checked the website 4 days ago and the RTR said late Sptember, now it says late August. There making me crazy!!!

Derrick Davis
07-25-2011, 10:05 AM
My new DX3S radio and telemetry receiver continue to wait for the mysterious MYSTIC. Stay tuned.... :popcorn2:

gek1946
07-28-2011, 11:35 AM
FINALLY!!! Cat's out of the bag!!

This is the same basic hull as the Miss Geico, but with some revised hardware, a different motor/ESC., and some other little details. It's been in works for quite a while (Since about the minute the Miss Geico actually hit the market! ) We wanted something that the racer and Sport driver could customize better (white base paint, minimal decals), and thought it was a good opportunity to have something a little hotter in the motor/ESC department.

Should be a nice addition to the lineup.

My personal early sample is actually all race-prepped, and on it's way to Ken Haines right now (mailed it yesterday). Ken will be racing it at the FE Nationals in Offshore... Here are a shot of the hardware setup.

The cat me out of the bag , but the boat sure isnt! I talked to Horizon this morning and either model wont be available until the middle of September. Is this true? Check this out I know theres over 50 people that have their names down for immediate shipment when available. How about putting the 1800 motor in the 60 amp controller,rudder,prop,etc in the Geico
and sell it for the same price and lets get it shipped.
Your co is loosing a lot of money over this and are buying other brands of bosts that are available

ron1950
07-29-2011, 12:11 AM
if u put a 1800 and a 60 amp esc in a geigo u have a green mystic ( if u put the offset rudder on).....i put it in mine and it hulls pretty good.....

lonneyb
08-01-2011, 11:10 AM
on my back order page it say 12/30 ...on the main page it say 8/30 ,,...but like i said my backorder page says after Christmas...sooooo i dont want any customers getting mad so im saying after christmas ...if it comes in before it will be a bonus

ron1950
08-01-2011, 12:41 PM
figures.....wonder what the problem will be this time.......seems they cant get things stright at horizon any more.......just get a 1800 motor and a t120 esc and convert your geigo to a green mystic....i did

Racer944
08-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Anybody heard anything else on this release? Still end of August early September? I have one on order and am hoping to be able to race it a few times before season is up...

Eric

midnightsabotage
08-12-2011, 12:23 AM
Both RTR & PNP read "early September" on Horizon's site.
I just keep checking there every couple days to see if it's going to be delayed further or not.

Crossing my fingers it stays put! If she gets delayed any further, the money I've been trying to save is going to go towards something else and then maybe get one next spring (and that's a big maybe)

midnightsabotage
08-24-2011, 04:07 AM
Doesn't surprise me one bit to see Horizon's site lists the RTR version as Middle September now.

PNP still reads Early September.

Darin posted a link somewhere on this board showing these boats in production, got me all excited again & then I see another delay. Ouch.

I might be able to spare the money for a Mystic in early September, but middle September will be a whole different story. So please, Proboat & Horizon, release them sooooooon!!
:sad:

Darin Jordan
08-24-2011, 09:10 AM
figures.....wonder what the problem will be this time.......seems they cant get things stright at horizon any more.......just get a 1800 motor and a t120 esc and convert your geigo to a green mystic....i did

Hey Ron... when is the last time you saw another RTR company put out three new RTR products, as Pro Boat and Horizon has, in less than a 12-month period (Impulse 26, Impulse 31, and the Mystic), especially on the heals of putting out two other solid offerings (Stiletto and Miss Geico)?? And those are just the FE offerings... and don't include the 2-Meter sailboat and other boats they've release recently. They are doing a pretty decent job, I'd say... I can assure you that the delays have very little with "not being able to get things straight"... They are certainly not the ONLY RTR producer out there that has had delays. If I could fault them for anything, it would be putting out the word and a target date prematurely... I suppose perhaps some of you would be happier not knowing, so you could go spend your hard earned $$ on a Spartan or something??? (He did NOT just say that!! :lol: )

I have no idea what is going on with the Mystic... I would have expected it to be here by now, and no one has mentioned to me why it's delayed. I suspect it has something to do with personnel turnover and the fact that their support departments (manuals, box-art, etc) are overwhelmed with having new people, and having to support so many new boats all at the same time.

Pro Boat is a SMALL operation... If you put them in the Corporate perspective, in an industry where the Marine market makes up less that 10% of the overall R/C Hobby, and FE makes up an even smaller percentage of that, I think they are doing a pretty good job to this point.

ron1950
08-24-2011, 02:02 PM
darin as usuall, u want to stir the pot again......all i said was" wonder what the excuses will be this time"....and a month later u pop up with about 4 of em.....hey i like my geigo......but lets see

1) did we the public tell proboat to put out more boats then they can handle? ahhh i dont think so
2) did we the public fire all the employee's that knew anything and hire robots that dont know the difference between a cat and a mono? ahh i dont think so
3) did we the public say that the mystic will be ready in june...ahhh july....ahhh i mean august...no i meant september....i dont think so
4) how much did u pay for your mystic? oh ya its free for all the defence u run for the company lol..and u have had one since may...

like i said, i have a green mystic, i wont be getting one anyway, just wondering what the excuses will be this time as some guys call horizon and get a different excuse each time....

Darin Jordan
08-24-2011, 02:14 PM
darin as usuall, u want to stir the pot again......all i said was" wonder what the excuses will be this time"....and a month later u pop up with about 4 of em.....hey i like my geigo......but lets see

1) did we the public tell proboat to put out more boats then they can handle? ahhh i dont think so
2) did we the public fire all the employee's that knew anything and hire robots that dont know the difference between a cat and a mono? ahh i dont think so
3) did we the public say that the mystic will be ready in june...ahhh july....ahhh i mean august...no i meant september....i dont think so
4) how much did u pay for your mystic? oh ya its free for all the defence u run for the company lol..and u have had one since may...

like i said, i have a green mystic, i wont be getting one anyway, just wondering what the excuses will be this time as some guys call horizon and get a different excuse each time....

Ron... once again, you take what I say and flip it into something I DIDN'T say... or at least add an attitude I didn't have...

I have NO idea what goes on when people call Horizon. I am pretty sure that the "help" desk is just like any other company... far detached from the actual developers or people with the answers.

I wasn't making "excuses"... I was just trying to point out the realities of the situation...

And, frankly, YES, people HAVE asked for Pro Boat, and AQ, to put out more boats than they can actually deliver... DUH! If you are telling us that YOU actually aren't addicted to this hobby like the rest of us, then you are rare indeed! ;)

Finally, I DID fault Pro Boat for putting out the target dates prematurely...

As for your #4... I can't win, can I?? I'm suppose to have these all sorted out by the time they reach the market, but then you rip me for having one... Whatever!!

ron1950
08-24-2011, 02:32 PM
darin sent ya a pm...we dont have a argument here.....thanks for the comments ...ron

Darin Jordan
08-24-2011, 03:15 PM
darin sent ya a pm...we dont have a argument here.....thanks for the comments ...ron

Got it, Ron... and you are right... we don't have an argument here... Sorry if it sounded that way. :beerchug:

Derrick Davis
08-29-2011, 10:17 AM
:popcorn2: Although the push back on the release date is a bummer (and no surprise).... I'm still looking forward to this boat! :cool:

Cheers to all who are anticipating Proboat's upcoming new products!

Racer944
08-29-2011, 10:29 AM
I fully agree! Cant wait to get it.. but I understand and can be patient :drool:

Cheers;
Eric

Racer944
09-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Horizon now showing stock and ability to order the PNP version. Hope mine arrives soon... :-)

Eric

ecoovert
09-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Just wanted your oppinion. I've been running a 4074 2150kv motor in my MG29 for quite some time and an X442 prop with no problems. I just recieved my 4082 2200kv Nemesis Gold motor today and plan on strengthening the hull some for that setup. All I'm doing is adding the back section of the OSE 80600 motor mount to the existing motor mount as to not have to remove what has done well for me so far. I will be cutting the fiberglass sections of the new motor mount in half in order to be able to use just the back section to spread the torque over a larger area. This also will keep the weight of the motor from pulling the screws out of the hull, or worse while the boat hits the waves at over 70mph. I plan on simply useing a flat pice of 1/4" thick plastic to screw the fiberglass portions of the motor mount into. This creates a solid flat surface which can be superglued into the hull. I know I must use the gel form of superglue which can adhere to porouse surfaces. This will adhere to the fiberglass. I then plan on shortening the prop shaft about 8mm in order to move the motor back just far enough to fit under the existing sub hatch. My mods for the new motor should only cost me the price of the $20 motor mount a cutting board you can pick up at K-Mart for about $5.00 to use for the 1/4" plastic and a little superglue.

Just wanted to ask if you can see any reason why this shouldn't work? In your opinion should this add enough strength to the hull to be able to handle this power plant? Oh, I almost forgot to mention I plan on running it on 6s as I was with the 4074 motor I have in it now.

ron1950
09-06-2011, 06:28 PM
just courious why do u want a white geigo? why not just change the motor in the green geigo? oh never mind i see u have a 4082 this time.....what are your plans with tne new boat? race or just go fast at the lake? your mods sound pretty good to me? sounds as if u know what u are doing and what u want......take lots of vids when u get the new boat,,,,might even do a build thread for us.....

ecoovert
09-06-2011, 07:23 PM
just courious why do u want a white geigo? why not just change the motor in the green geigo? oh never mind i see u have a 4082 this time.....what are your plans with tne new boat? race or just go fast at the lake? your mods sound pretty good to me? sounds as if u know what u are doing and what u want......take lots of vids when u get the new boat,,,,might even do a build thread for us.....

To answer your question. I just want to go fast at the lake. I plan on posting some vids. I sure would like to find someone to shoot the vids while I drive rather than have to put the cam. on a tripod but if I must that's what I'll do. My onboard cam vids don't come out very good as I don't have a wide angle like a GoPro. I'm just using a cheap keychain micro cam. placed in a plastic hair gel jar to make it waterproof.

I may not be able to shoot vids. for the next few weeks as we are moving to North Carolina from Bellingham, WA on the 20th of this month. Lots of packing to do... I'll try to keep track of our discussions though.

Rumdog
09-06-2011, 08:26 PM
The Geico wouldn't be my first choice for a 70 plus hull. The wide tunnel will have too much lift at that speed, plus it's kind of on the small side. Throw that gear in a Genesis (Fightercat Daytona) hull, and it will take the speed much better.

ecoovert
09-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Thanks Rumdog, Point well taken. I already have the Miss Geico and am not in a position to buy another boat at this time. I personally like the build quality of this hull and also like the looks. I have pushed to over 60 and it seems to handle that just fine. With my offset rudder and everything dialed in including my c.o.g. I'm sure she'll do just fine.

midnightsabotage
09-08-2011, 12:39 AM
I knew it would be in stock as soon as I had no funds! Argh! haha.

Oh well. I've got a sprintcat to build for now to tide me over I guess.
We'll see if there's a Mystic in my future sometime when money is available. Hope so!

Make-a-Wake
09-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Pulled the trigger on a Mystic today............had to have at least one cat in my marina. Plus, my two buddies have Geicos and i needed one to race against them with. Looking forward to it getting here in a few days.:Peace_Sign:

ecoovert
09-17-2011, 11:38 PM
Don't have one myself but I hear that's a real good boat. Are you planning on upgrades?

Make-a-Wake
09-17-2011, 11:49 PM
Don't have one myself but I hear that's a real good boat. Are you planning on upgrades?

Nope.........bone stock. We all have Pursuits sets up the same as well(4074's 4s in them), that way we can compete closely. However, with the Mystic i will have a slightly higher kv motor(1800) than their Geico's(1500).............props are the only part where we can use anything we want...........they can spin a slightly larger one if they choose with their lower kv motors. They have offset rudders already installed on their Geico's as well.

One part of the setup that folks tend to skimp on a bit is the batts...............we all use 5000 40c batts and you would be suprised at the performance you can get out of stock setups with good batts. Not sure what prop i'll run yet..........maybe an x445...............or 642...........

Darin Jordan
09-18-2011, 01:00 AM
Hey Guys... I ran my Miss Geico today in Offshore at our club race... left the Impulse 31 at home this time to get some cat time!

Put an 1800KV ProBoat motor and 60A ESC in it, to get a feel for what the Mystic is going to run like. I have to say, she's FUN!

Ran a straight up 440/3, and it was pretty impressive. NOT a top speed, GPS busting package, but a rock-solid, jump off the corners and scream to the next one package. I'm certain there is much more there, I was just working on getting used to it, but thus far, I like it.

Of all the boats I've worked on, this one is the most fun to drive! They MG and the Mystic are a couple of very cool boats! I really hope you guys like them as well!

26missgeico
09-18-2011, 01:10 AM
you know what pro boat should make... a mini mystic and miss geico that would be cool:confused:

ecoovert
09-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Nope.........bone stock. We all have Pursuits sets up the same as well(4074's 4s in them), that way we can compete closely. However, with the Mystic i will have a slightly higher kv motor(1800) than their Geico's(1500).............props are the only part where we can use anything we want...........they can spin a slightly larger one if they choose with their lower kv motors. They have offset rudders already installed on their Geico's as well.

One part of the setup that folks tend to skimp on a bit is the batts...............we all use 5000 40c batts and you would be suprised at the
performance you can get out of stock setups with good batts. Not sure what prop i'll run yet..........maybe an x445...............or 642...........

Lipos are about the only thing left for me to upgrade on my Miss Geico. I'm only using 30c on 6s and with my 4082 2200kv motor I may need to step up the lipos a bit.

desmobob
09-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Hello gentlemen,

I'm a long-time RC flyer and started doing some float flying this summer. Flying off the water could only lead one to RC boating, right? It did, and I picked a ProBoat Mystic 29 as my first model. (An RC flying buddy at the lake is ordering one today. Looks like we'll be having some fun this fall.) Searching the 'net on the subject led me to the forums here. Looks like a nice place to hang out and learn.

I'm waiting for my 2s1p 5000mah 40C batteries to arrive, and while I'm waiting, I'm interested in learning about some simple mods. I've been instructed to replace the Dean's connectors on the ESC with 5.5mm bullets. Sound good?

From my experience with real boats, I know a simple prop change can buy some quick and easy performance improvement. Can someone recommend a few props I might consider for my stock Mystic?

I read about using nylon bolts/screws in the rudder assembly of RC boats to prevent hull damage in the event of a UFO strike. The Mystic doesn't seem to be set up for this kind of option. Is it something I should be concerned about?

Sorry to bombard you with all the questions right off the get-go, but I'm feeling like a kid with a new toy. You know how it is.... :olleyes:

Thanks in advance for any advice,
desmobob

26missgeico
09-19-2011, 02:17 PM
i got a pro boat miss geico and out of the box it would do 35 then i put octura x645 prop and it went around 40 with the lipo's

Make-a-Wake
09-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Hi desmobob...........welcome to RC boat addicts anonymous! I have just ordered a Mystic myself, should be here in a few days. The Geico is a bit different as its motor is a 1500kv versus the 1800kv in yours so prop selection should be based on the higher kv motor and not on what works with the Geico. I plan to try out an x640, x642 and an x445 for starting prop upgrades. A good rule of thumb in any prop trial is to run it for 45 seconds full throttle, bring it in and check temps. If they are below 120* or so you can go up a bit, I stop at 135*, thats always my top end target. Make sure to check all your bolts/nuts and make sure your motor is aligned properly with the shaft to eliminate burning the tube or driveline. Proper marine grease is needed for your flexshaft as well. Glad you are here!

desmobob
09-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Make-a-Wake,

Thanks for the welcome and the tips... I appreciate it.

I'm anxious to hear how you like your Mystic. I'll be tuned in to the forums while I'm impatiently waiting for my batteries to show up (via USPS parcel post from the West Coast... I knew I should have upgraded to two-day shipping!).

Thanks again,
desmobob

sailr
09-20-2011, 03:32 PM
welcome to your new addiction! follly regarding prop selections. follow the forums carefully regarding prop selections. you can quickly cook your motor, esc, and batteries if you over-prop.cog

Run your boat for a while with the stock prop to get the boat setup and driving. once your setup gives the right riding attitude, turning, etc. then step up ONE prop size. Go slowly in small steps and take the temps after a short run to be sure it's not overheating.

Have fun.

stadiumyamaha
09-21-2011, 01:08 AM
I know its probably posted here somewhere but does anyone know what the delivery date on the mystic.

rjwalker
09-21-2011, 10:35 AM
I just bought one this morning on ebay for $319.00 plus free shipping it is the model with out radio. I think they had 2 left

Make-a-Wake
09-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Got mine here..................no Radio/rx.

http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Proboat-Mystic-29-Catamaran-BL-PNP-Boat-p/prb4075.htm

Make-a-Wake
09-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Well, she got here in three days................not bad for free shipping.

I'm officially a member of the Cat club. Never really had a hankerin' for a Cat but after several years of watchin' 'em and learning about these 'odd' boats to me, i added one to my Marina. Now i can run in the races with my two boating buddies here with the same hull. We run the exact same Pursuit setups and this gives us another class. They have Geico's with offset rudders installed and run x642's for some good speed..........i'll probably go with an x445 or x640.........we'll see.

Nice boat up close and seems to be well made. Probably get to run her tomorrow or Friday..........needs the usual inspection, bolt tightening, motor alignment check and grease

Got some beefy 2s 5000 40c's for Mojo.............:buttrock:

desmobob
09-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Probably get to run her tomorrow or Friday..........needs the usual inspection, bolt tightening, motor alignment check and grease

On your advice, I did all that to mine last night. My motor was pretty much out of line and a few of the nuts/screws were looser than I would have left them, but all appeared to have had some kind of threadlock applied (but I put LocTite blue on everything anyway). The drive shaft looked pretty well greased up but I added a little just to be safe. :-)

I just got home to find that my batteries arrived at the Post Office this morning. I'll be ready for a first run tomorrow but the forecast is for rain. :-(

We'll see....

Take it easy,
desmobob

Make-a-Wake
09-22-2011, 12:19 AM
My motor needed just a bit of adjustment to get it lined up real good with the flexshaft. All the bolts were real tight when checking them. The deans connectors have gone bye-bye too..............5mm bullets are now on. The prop looks like a Prather 215, in fact it may be, cant read the writing on the end of the hub..........kinda scratched up from the nut.

26missgeico
09-22-2011, 01:55 AM
love the graphic's

desmobob
09-22-2011, 08:33 AM
The prop looks like a Prather 215, in fact it may be, cant read the writing on the end of the hub..........kinda scratched up from the nut.

I just put on my cheaters and took a look at mine. It says "PRB4019"

One thing I forgot to comment on... The ESC's battery leads are kind of skinny, aren't they? My 40C LiPos came with 8 or 10AWG wires, and the ESC has 14AWG. I thought the typical max amperage for 14AWG wire was 40A.

Take it easy,
desmobob

Make-a-Wake
09-22-2011, 09:28 AM
I just put on my cheaters and took a look at mine. It says "PRB4019"

One thing I forgot to comment on... The ESC's battery leads are kind of skinny, aren't they? My 40C LiPos came with 8 or 10AWG wires, and the ESC has 14AWG. I thought the typical max amperage for 14AWG wire was 40A.

Take it easy,
desmobob

LOL............yep. i'm not used to working with such small wires............motor wires are painfully thin as well. The wires fit into the bullets with lots of room to spare when soldering them on...............i'm used to having to cram 8 gauge wires into bullets.

Darin Jordan
09-22-2011, 09:34 AM
The prop looks like a Prather 215, in fact it may be, cant read the writing on the end of the hub..........kinda scratched up from the nut.

The prop is essentially a copy of the Prather 215, and is not new. The Elam/MG/BJ26 etc. plastic prop is the same, just plastic... These stainless props really should be prepped if you want to get the full performance out of them. It looks to me like they took a raw Prather 215 casting and made a casting of that... Not ideal.

I measured them, and the stock MG prop actually has more pitch (2.49 vs 2.57, or something like that)... However, flex likely flattens out the MG prop under load, which is why the STLO/Mystic prop appears to outperform the plastic version.

Derrick Davis
09-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Hi Darin,

When you say "prep", I'm assuming that your referring to balancing and sharpening the stock stainless steel prop, correct? Any special handling with this process since its stainless steel? :confused: I'm still learning....
Thanks.
D

Derrick Davis
09-22-2011, 01:09 PM
By the way....Thanks to those of you that suggested doing an inspection of the motor alignment, tightening screws, etc.. Should have been a no brainer for me. :nopity: I found that the motor was slighly angled on mine. Surely this put unnecessary stress on the drive system with those first couple of runs out of the box. Since I straightened the motor I have not heard the whinning noise. I hope that was the issue. Lesson learned.....I think. :popcorn2:

Darin Jordan
09-22-2011, 01:17 PM
By the way....Thanks to those of you that suggested doing an inspection of the motor alignment, tightening screws, etc.. Should have been a no brainer for me. :nopity: I found that the motor was slighly angled on mine. Surely this put unnecessary stress on the drive system with those first couple of runs out of the box. Since I straightened the motor I have not heard the whinning noise. I hope that was the issue. Lesson learned.....I think. :popcorn2:

Like I said before, you never know who might have assembled this things overseas... They just bolt everything together, and often don't worry much about alignment... ALWAYS give them a good once-over!

As far as "prepping" the stainless props... I haven't really done that many, but the ones I have done, I've done using my Dremel tool and one of the reinforced cut-off wheels. I use the face of the wheel like a sanding surface, and just work my way up and down the forward side of the blade, thinning and sharpening. Once I get it to a certain point, I start playing with balance, and then switch to finer, rubberized rotary abrasives... Once I'm happy with the balance and sharpening, I buff everything in my bench-grinder-converted-to-buffing-wheel, and then usually go over them with a final wet-sanding with 400-600 grit wet/dry.

You have to be patient... takes about 1 to 1.5 hours per prop for me, depending on how rough the original casting was.

Ultimately, you'll find that you'll have better luck using an Octura, ABC, or Grim prop, because you can work them easier, adding pitch and cup and back-cutting, etc., to tailor the prop to your boat. I honestly wouldn't spend that much effort on the stock prop, though it CAN be made to work well. Start off with a good sharpening and get it balanced decently and you might be surprised. The Prather 215 is a REALLY good prop when setup on the right application...

desmobob
09-22-2011, 04:25 PM
I put my Mystic 29 in the water today! It was my first time on the water with an R/C boat.

Here's what I found:

* I used too much industrial-strength Velcro on the battery trays... I pulled one of the trays loose trying to adjust my battery to change the CG. :blush: It ended my outing part-way into the second pair of batteries. I'll epoxy them both in place and reduce the amount of Velcro I used on them.

* The boat goes like stink! It's fast! :rockon2: I started with the batteries on the middle/rear of the trays and had some porpoising. I moved them up a bit and it just about disappeared. I moved them up some more and it came back, worse than before.

* On the second pair of batteries, I started to hear some howling. I had carefully aligned my motor to the drive shaft and had the recommended amount of extra length at the strut (~1mm). I also checked and greased the drive shaft before I ran the boat for the first time. I noticed that the Teflon liner had moved up the shaft and was up against the collet. Any ideas?

*The motor and ESC stayed plenty cool, but my Zippy 2s 5000mah 40-50C LiPos got pretty warm. I also ran the first set down to LVC and it came sooner than I thought, but I wasn't keeping track of time and was having a lot of fun.... I'll add a LiPo cell voltage alarm next time. I'll also invest in a nicer Tx that has a timer.

* The Zippy LiPos have the battery leads exiting 90 deg. out the side of the end of the battery. It makes for a tough fit when trying to run the leads off the trays on the inboard sides. I'll see if they have enough length to try laying the batteries in place with the leads outboard next time.

* I lost speed at one point and brought the boat in to find some weeds hanging off the rudder. I don't recall seeing the boat look like it hit anything, but I noticed the rudder was bent back a few degrees when I packed up to leave. Could hitting the weeds (a few strands of milfoil) have done that?

I can't wait to get her set up and running well. A buddy of mine bought one too, and he's coming up to the lake this weekend. I think we're going to have a good time.

Take it easy,
desmobob

ron1950
09-22-2011, 05:27 PM
my geigo did the same thing on the battery trays,,,just glue em back in ,,,no sweat.....

Derrick Davis
09-22-2011, 06:37 PM
:welcome: desmobob. Thanks for providing some feed back on your knew Mystic.
Interesting...
The howling you have described sounds similar to my experience after the 2nd or 3rd set of batteries. Coincidence? Stay tuned. I'm going to run mine tonight while my son trys to keep up with his stock Blackjack! Fun stuff!!
Two Mystics on the water should make for a fun weekend. Make sure your buddy greases the flex shaft before his first run.
:beerchug:

desmobob
09-22-2011, 08:06 PM
:welcome: desmobob. Thanks for providing some feed back on your knew Mystic.
Interesting...
The howling you have described sounds similar to my experience after the 2nd or 3rd set of batteries. Coincidence? Stay tuned. I'm going to run mine tonight while my son trys to keep up with his stock Blackjack! Fun stuff!!
Two Mystics on the water should make for a fun weekend. Make sure your buddy greases the flex shaft before his first run.
:beerchug:

Thanks for the welcome, Double D. :beerchug:

I just came up from the workshop. I epoxied both my battery trays in place and replaced the full-length strip of industrial-strength Velcro with several small strips of regular Velcro. That should prevent me from ripping out a battery tray again!

As for the howl, I checked my flex shaft and it looked fine. Of course, I'm a total newbie when it comes to boats and had no idea what I was looking for. :confused2: The grease was tan in some areas, so I guess some water gets in there. Is that normal? ...seems like it would be.

Now that I have it back together, I realize I should have checked the motor bearings. I can't imagine that would be a problem after one run, but SOMETHING'S causing the howl.... On a positive note, the boat didn't seem to slow down at all when the noise started, so it doesn't seem to be too big of a problem. (So far.)

I can see that this boat probably has me hooked.:tongue:

Take it easy,
desmobob

tiqueman
09-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Hey all. The howl you hear is indeed probably the shaft screaming in the bushings inside the strut. One thing id also like to comment on and I hope dr j will key in, many of us, includinmg myself had issues with the stock bushings in the geico. They would scream and eventually because of the cheap metal they are made from would seiz the shaft which in some cases lead to very bad things. Darin if I remember correctly wasn't sure if pb resolved that issue. A bushing swap may be beneficial. Even if they did put something diferent inside, a couple dollars for an octura, aeromarine or the bushing kintec has is worth every penny.

And to all the newbs, congrats on your new boat. In my opinion it and the geico are two of the best rtrs available. A few tweaks and such and you'll be right out front.

desmobob
09-22-2011, 08:32 PM
Hey all. The howl you hear is indeed probably the shaft screaming in the bushings inside the strut. One thing id also like to comment on and I hope dr j will key in, many of us, includinmg myself had issues with the stock bushings in the geico. They would scream and eventually because of the cheap metal they are made from would seiz the shaft which in some cases lead to very bad things. Darin if I remember correctly wasn't sure if pb resolved that issue. A bushing swap may be beneficial. Even if they did put something diferent inside, a couple dollars for an octura, aeromarine or the bushing kintec has is worth every penny.

And to all the newbs, congrats on your new boat. In my opinion it and the geico are two of the best rtrs available. A few tweaks and such and you'll be right out front.

Thanks, tiqueman.

If someone could point me to the correct strut bushing, I'll order one up immediately. Better safe than sorry. Besides, I need to get some other goodies, so I'm ready to make an order.

Thanks again for the help; I appreciate it.

Take it easy,
desmobob

tiqueman
09-22-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm on my phone so linking takes a bit, but if you go in the ose store, I think its in hardware, octura 3/16 bushings. Part no. Is oc6ltsb(5). Being 5 in a pack, you will need two. Or kintec has them, on their site, click miss geico upgrades and scroll down hhe has a custom one piece bushing he makes. Real nice piece, I just installed one for someone. I've been running the octuras forever and their great.

desmobob
09-22-2011, 08:48 PM
I'm on my phone so linking takes a bit, but if you go in the ose store, I think its in hardware, octura 3/16 bushings. Part no. Is oc6ltsb(5). Being 5 in a pack, you will need two. Or kintec has them, on their site, click miss geico upgrades and scroll down hhe has a custom one piece bushing he makes. Real nice piece, I just installed one for someone. I've been running the octuras forever and their great.

Thanks, tiqueman... I found them.

Do you mean I'll need two bushings or two packages of five? The strut is long and those bushings look short, so I'm wondering if I need one bushing at each end, or if I need to fill the length of the strut with them. Bear with me... I'm a clueless newb when it comes to boat stuff. I'm a quick learner and it seems like there are a lot of experienced gentlemen to learn from around here, so I'm looking forward to getting an education. :-)

Thanks again for your help,
desmobob

tiqueman
09-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Sorry, yes one package. You will only use 2 of the 5. One in front, one in back. And the bushings have to slide out from the end they are in... unless they changed the strut but I doubt it. Thoers probably a lip inside between the two.

desmobob
09-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Sorry, yes one package. You will only use 2 of the 5. One in front, one in back. And the bushings have to slide out from the end they are in... unless they changed the strut but I doubt it. Thoers probably a lip inside between the two.

Got it! Thanks very much.

desmobob

desmobob
09-23-2011, 03:07 PM
I got the Mystic 29 onto the water again today. Much better...

* The howl did not return in three sets of batteries. I did use a different type of grease on the shaft this time. (I also sharpened/polished and balanced the stock prop.) The first time, I used MiliTech1 (my favorite gun, bicycle and general purpose grease) but I don't think it's billed as "waterproof" or "water resistant." Today, I used Amsoil Water Resistant Grease from the local auto parts store. It's the typical blue color, and lithium-based. It's not very smooth or sticky but it seemed to work better. I have some new strut bushings on the way, just in case. Do they need to be pressed or driven out or can I make a small hook tool and pull them? I haven't really looked at them yet.

* I brought the temp gauge. On the first run, the boat came back with the motor and ESC very hot (~120). Turns out the port battery had kinked the water inlet tube where it runs through the battery tray. I was fully engrossed in the high-speed handling and forgot to watch for the tell-tale stream out the exit fitting. I let everything cool down a bit, then ran another set of batteries being careful not to place the battery where it would put pressure on the tubing. After each of the next two sets of batteries the boat came in with both the motor and ESC at 94 deg. I may change the routing of the water inlet so it doesn't pass through the side of the battery tray to avoid having trouble in the future.

I noticed a good stream of water out of the exit at low-to-mid throttle settings, but it looked like nothing was coming through it at full throttle. What could be causing that?

* At full throttle, I was running nose-high and porpoising. I moved the batteries ahead and it didn't seem to smooth it out. I raised the strut about 1/16", so the bottom of the strut is just touching when I set the boat on a flat surface. I had the 5000mah batteries placed so their forward end was even with the forward end (rear) of the motor. On the next outing, I'll try moving them a little further forward and/or experiment with the strut position.

I was more aware of my battery condition this time and brought the boat in as soon as I started to notice a fall-off in top speed. The first two runs, the cells were at 3.85V. The third time, I took a few "cool down laps" after that and the cells were at 3.75V when I came in. I used an on-board cell voltage alarm set at 3.4V but never set it off. Good.

I sure love this boat! :banana:

Take it easy,
desmobob

Darin Jordan
09-23-2011, 03:18 PM
* At full throttle, I was running nose-high and porpoising. ... I raised the strut about 1/16", so the bottom of the strut is just touching when I set the boat on a flat surface.

Generally speaking... when you raise the strut up, it RAISES the nose of the boat up as well. Lowering it lifts more of the rear of the boat out of the water, pushing the nose down.

I believe that my MG is setup with the strut flat against the setup board (even with the bottom of the sponsons), or perhaps just a TAD higher... There are lots of others here who have set these up who might have some info for you as well.

Glad you are enjoying the boat. That was the whole point in putting it out!! :cool2:

Make-a-Wake
09-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Get her wet today, had to do quite a bit of tinkering with the strut and batts to get her going well..............still got a bit of wah wah in her. I was running on some pretty smooth water and in one direction she settled down and the other she porpoised a bit. Wasnt much wind at all but i think going into the wind settled her down a bit. Ran an x442 and the ESC and Batts were barely warm...........not blown away with the speed, but then again im used to running my 60+ mph boats. My buddy ran his Geico with stock components and an x642 and we were basically equal on top end. Fun boat though, and turns very well, did flip her once on his wake and ended up rightside up. Should be fun to race as a threesome next week.

desmobob
09-26-2011, 09:30 AM
My buddy and I had a blast with our boats this weekend. Another friend was there and he's ordering one as soon as Horizon has the RTR package in stock. :-)
The next time we run them, we'll put out some course marker buoys in the bay and the REAL fun will start.

Both boats developed the howling after two or three runs but greasing the shaft eliminated it. My new strut bushings should be here today or tomorrow, so that should no longer be a problem.

I did have one thing happen that I needed to ask about....

After running the boat several times now, the Teflon shaft liner is coming forward and hitting the back of the collet. I can see white dust below the collet where the liner is making contact and getting worn down. Does it need to be glued or secured in place, or is this an indication that something else needs to be adjusted?

Thanks for any information,
desmobob

Darin Jordan
09-26-2011, 09:40 AM
After running the boat several times now, the Teflon shaft liner is coming forward and hitting the back of the collet. I can see white dust below the collet where the liner is making contact and getting worn down. Does it need to be glued or secured in place, or is this an indication that something else needs to be adjusted?

Thanks for any information,
desmobob

From my experience with these, it could be one of two things... 1) The teflon was too long and the prop thrusting forward is pushing the stub-shaft up against it, pushing it forward in the stuffing tube... or 2), and more likely... The factory teflon they used doesn't fit snugly into the stuffing tube and so the flex cable rubbing against it, with the spirals "screwing" upwards toward the motor, are pushing the teflon up. This can happen especially if you are using some sticky, thick, grease.

You might be able to fix it by fitting a piece of water tubing over the forward end of the stuffing tube. However, if I recall, there isn't a lot of extra material up at that end. Another solution might be to very carefully put a couple of small "dimples" into the forward end to keep the tubing from creeping forward.

I think on mine, which was the very first Production boat, and was received before they fixed the flex cable rotation issue, I had replaced my cable with an Octura, and replaced the liner as well. I had to so some "stretching" of the Octura teflon to get it to fit, but it's in there now and doesn't move. I also think it's a little more "slippery" than the stock stuff... which is more like a hard nylon tubing than teflon...

desmobob
09-27-2011, 10:59 PM
I got the chance to make one run this evening and the Teflon tubing stayed in place. (I had pushed it back into the brass tube to where it started when the boat was new). Tonight, when I pulled the shaft to clean and grease it, I did something I read somewhere here on the forums: I pushed the cut-off end of a Q-tip through the tube to clean out the old grease and water. When I was trying to wrestle the piece of Q-tip out of the short open area at the motor end of the tube, I ended up pushing the Teflon tube back almost flush with the brass tube. I'll find out later if that's going to create a problem. :unsure:

I was wondering how difficult it was going to be to remove the stock strut bushings so I could install the new lead/Teflon Octura bushings I ordered. When I removed the drive shaft tonight, the rear bushing was sliding out of the strut on its own. I guess it won't be too hard!

In an attempt to eliminate the last little bit of porpoising, I positioned the strut with the bottom even with the bottom of the sponsons, but also tilted it prop-down as much as the free play would allow. The porpoising was eliminated at all but full-throttle, but the boat seemed slower and I wonder if I had caused some extra drive line friction or a little bit of binding by tilting the strut down, even though it was probably only a degree or two. I returned it to level and hope to get on the water again tomorrow for further testing fun.
:banana:

This boat has me wishing I could dig a big pond in my back yard. :biggrin:

Take it easy,
desmobob

desmobob
09-29-2011, 06:18 PM
In an attempt to eliminate the last little bit of porpoising, I positioned the strut with the bottom even with the bottom of the sponsons, but also tilted it prop-down as much as the free play would allow. The porpoising was eliminated at all but full-throttle, but the boat seemed slower and I wonder if I had caused some extra drive line friction or a little bit of binding by tilting the strut down, even though it was probably only a degree or two. I returned it to level and hope to get on the water again tomorrow for further testing fun.

I got a chance to run three sets of batteries tonight just before the skies opened up and it poured rain.

I leveled my strut from slightly prop-down back to zero degrees and set it's bottom even with the bottom of the sponsons. I also replaced the stock strut bushings with the Octura lead/Teflon bushings. I had to shorten the rear one a bit to make it even with the strut.

I installed a new Octura x640 prop that I sharpened, balanced and polished. (I was paranoid about the health risks and did the whole job with a fine hand stone and wet-and-dry paper in a sink full of soapy water.) I got to the lake, installed a set of batteries and put the boat in. When I took off, the difference in the prop really surprised me... I thought it would be pretty close to the stock one (which I had also sharpened/polished/balanced) but it seemed like it added a lot of performance. As a matter of fact, I flipped the boat over backwards just seconds into my first run. :scared:

I ran it around as fast as I dared and brought it in to check the ESC and motor temps: 80's (but I wasn't able to do a lot of sustained full-throttle running). On the next two runs I moved the batteries up to attempt to keep the boat on the water. The last run had them sitting an inch ahead of the motor. The boat looked flat or even nose-down in the water but once it got on plane it seemed pretty good. Full throttle still had it wanting to fly. Maybe the lake wasn't as flat as it looked....

My flex shaft looks like it's loosening up some more at the motor end, so I'm not going to run the boat again until I re-solder it or my new one comes in. I also ordered a new collet with a brass insert that's supposed to be a little kinder to the flex shafts. The Teflon liner has continued to stay in place.

I sure am enjoying this boat. It still impresses me with its acceleration, speed and handling. The weekend after next we'll have three of them in the water at once and I'm sure it will be interesting. :thumbup1:

Take it easy,
desmobob

tiqueman
09-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Your strut bearing comment intrests me more than anything. Octura and aeromarine bushigs fit with room to spare in both ends of the pb strut.... well, unless they changed the seat depth? Did you pull the bushing back out to confirm there wasn't another bushing in there or that it was actually contacting the set?. Sounds like your getting her dialed in well.

LiPo Power
09-29-2011, 06:59 PM
Darin
If the flexshaft is installed properly, when the motor is working, spinning, the spirals are screwing down toward the prop so in my opinion the turn of the flexshaft should push the teflon down, not up.
I think the teflon is too loose inside the bras tube in this case.
I had a little of this problem on mine and the issue was corrected by installing short piece od fuel tubing, see picture.
Problem is gone now and this also helps to keep the grease inside of the tube.
Robert

From my experience with these, it could be one of two things... 1) The teflon was too long and the prop thrusting forward is pushing the stub-shaft up against it, pushing it forward in the stuffing tube... or 2), and more likely... The factory teflon they used doesn't fit snugly into the stuffing tube and so the flex cable rubbing against it, with the spirals "screwing" upwards toward the motor, are pushing the teflon up. This can happen especially if you are using some sticky, thick, grease.
You might be able to fix it by fitting a piece of water tubing over the forward end of the stuffing tube. However, if I recall, there isn't a lot of extra material up at that end. Another solution might be to very carefully put a couple of small "dimples" into the forward end to keep the tubing from creeping forward.

I think on mine, which was the very first Production boat, and was received before they fixed the flex cable rotation issue, I had replaced my cable with an Octura, and replaced the liner as well. I had to so some "stretching" of the Octura teflon to get it to fit, but it's in there now and doesn't move. I also think it's a little more "slippery" than the stock stuff... which is more like a hard nylon tubing than teflon...

desmobob
09-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Your strut bearing comment intrests me more than anything. Octura and aeromarine bushigs fit with room to spare in both ends of the pb strut.... well, unless they changed the seat depth? Did you pull the bushing back out to confirm there wasn't another bushing in there or that it was actually contacting the set?. Sounds like your getting her dialed in well.

They must have changed the seating depth! I took the strut off and very thoroughly cleaned it out with brake cleaner and Q-tips after removing the stock bushings. (The rear bushing would slide out easily but the front one had to be drifted out with some light tapping.) The front bushing fit deep into the strut with room for the lip on that cone-shaped piece that goes between the strut and the tube. The rear bushing was about 2mm or so too long and hung out the back of the strut. I held it with my fingers and ran it across a sanding block until it fit flush.

The bushings had a nice loose sliding fit in the strut and the prop shaft stub had a nice loose sliding fit in the bushings. I greased the outside of the bushings when installing them.

Take it easy,
desmobob

desmobob
09-29-2011, 07:21 PM
Darin
If the flexshaft is installed properly, when the motor is working, spinning, the spirals are screwing down toward the prop so in my opinion the turn of the flexshaft should push the teflon down, not up.

That's exactly how I figured it, too. I was very surprised when my Teflon liner was moving UP the shaft and getting ground up by the collet. Whatever was causing it has stopped causing it, but I picked up a spare piece of Teflon tubing just to be safe.

Take it easy,
desmobob

desmobob
09-30-2011, 09:02 AM
Your strut bearing comment intrests me more than anything. Octura and aeromarine bushigs fit with room to spare in both ends of the pb strut.... well, unless they changed the seat depth? Did you pull the bushing back out to confirm there wasn't another bushing in there or that it was actually contacting the set?.

They must have changed the seating depth! I took the strut off and very thoroughly cleaned it out with brake cleaner and Q-tips after removing the stock bushings. (The rear bushing would slide out easily but the front one had to be drifted out with some light tapping.) The front bushing fit deep into the strut with room for the lip on that cone-shaped piece that goes between the strut and the tube. The rear bushing was about 2mm or so too long and hung out the back of the strut. I held it with my fingers and ran it across a sanding block until it fit flush.

I'm wondering why ProBoat would have changed the seating depth... maybe it's just that my strut's rear bushing area was not reamed to the correct depth?

Take it easy,
desmobob

tiqueman
09-30-2011, 09:18 AM
I'm wondering why ProBoat would have changed the seating depth... maybe it's just that my strut's rear bushing area was not reamed to the correct depth?

Take it easy,
desmobob

Very well could be.

martin
09-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Ive always found a loose liner always works it way up towards the coupling,Also re the spiral direction of the flex it should auger water away from going up the tube into the boat. But as we all know the opposite is the case & water goes up the tube into the boat. Martin.

7500RPM
10-01-2011, 09:27 AM
You will find if you use Octura cable and stub shaft, it rides just shy of the stock front bearing, what I did is remove the stock bushings and ran a drill bit in a drill press into the strut and removed the inner stop for the bushings, then the strut will take 3 Octura Lead Teflon Bushings in the strut, this works much better and it supports the stub staft better! remember to spread the Octura bushing a little for a snug fit!

ecoovert
10-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Just arrived at our new home in Lenoir, NC. 5 days ago. We are still getting things unpacked and set up. Still havn't found my laptop so I'm using my work computer to post replyes for now. I did have the chance to install my 4082 Nemesis Gold 2200kv motor in my Miss Geico but as I havn't replaced the car I sold in Bellingham, WA I am unable to get to a lake to try it out:sad: I went with 6.5mm. plugs for mine but the 5.5mm. should be plenty for your boat unless you plan on installing a beast of a motor like what I did. When you plan on upgrading I would add support to the back of the motor as the XL motors put a lot of stress on the hull. I just picked up a water cooled motor mount which provides front and back support, cut the front part off and am using the back section to add support to the rear of the motor. The reason I cut the front of the mount off is because I'm using the existing stock mount to hold the front of the motor. Trust me, that's a very simple to enable your hull to handle the massive torque the motors produce as well as when the boat hits the waves at over 70mph.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Chris at finedesignrc.com has a few of the same motor I got in stock. He sells them with the Leopard water jacket for $119.95. The motor is so big I can't use the sub hatch so I will have to use tape which I was doing anyway. You can also find Tacon 4074 motors online for under $50.00 and pick up a water jacket for about $16.00 which will give you 3.46 horse power. Not a bad upgrade for $66.00

Make-a-Wake
10-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Well.............i'm about to start leaving the Mystic at home. Third time out, 6 sets of batts, multiple batt positions, several strut adjustments, and................WAH WAH WAH.................does this boat ride smoothly ever................been on ripples and glass....................hmmmm?

Any suggestions?

tiqueman
10-02-2011, 11:56 PM
I think weve all been there w/ this hull. Maybe now all the "offset fixes it" guys will realize it was other changes that did it. I have a very minimal bounce in mine. However, once the water drops another 10 degrees or so, Ill go back to an M445 and the bounce is completely gone. This is w/ the 1500 motor, not the 18. I ran the 1800 for a bit and ran a 642. The boat was all over the place and I could not get the bounce out. I currently run a 43.6mm and its very slight. I havent adjusted the strut at all since the dialing of the M445, perhaps I could get it out, but I havent tried. All I can tell you is only adjust one thing at a time. I have seen 42mm props and such run with little to no bounce. One thing at a time, if it helps, try more, if it doesnt, adjust something else. It takes quite a while to dial one of these. I ran for a good couple months before I got mine to settle. At least a dozen sets of packs.. at least. Stick with it, once you get it, its a beast of a boat.

desmobob
10-03-2011, 04:31 PM
I've had good luck with the strut 1/16" below the bottom of the boat, dead flat, and the batteries even with the front of the motor. I get just a hint of porpoising only at full throttle. When I ran the strut even with the bottom of the boat, it was fast and light... a little too light; it would easily flip when I put on a prepped x640. I also tried the strut even with the bottom, but angled down a degree or two (with the stock prop). The boat ran flat and slow; too wet I guess.

I'm new to all this and have found it hard to spend an outing doing nothing but changing my set-up. I'm too busy having fun! And it seems like the few times I HAVE gone to the lake with the purpose of tuning the set-up, the water conditions are so rough it's impossible. Maybe this weekend....

Take it easy,
desmobob

ecoovert
10-03-2011, 07:26 PM
I knew it would be in stock as soon as I had no funds! Argh! haha.

Oh well. I've got a sprintcat to build for now to tide me over I guess.
We'll see if there's a Mystic in my future sometime when money is available. Hope so!

Don't worry. I think this one will remain in stock long enough for you come up with the funds to get one. They won't be getting rid of this one any time soon.

ecoovert
10-03-2011, 07:38 PM
My problem is I have is having ordered 3 new teflon tubes from Horizon Hobby made for this boat I can't get any of them to slide completely into the stuffing tube. They reach a point where they bend while I try to push them in. The one that came with the boat slides in just fine but it's a little on the short side and needs to be replaced. What I ended up doing is cutting the end of the old one to make it a clean cut and adding a short portion of a new one at the end to complete the length. If I keep doing this I will end up with 6 to 8 1" to 1 1/2" sections of teflon tubing in my stuffing tube. How do you get these teflon tubes to slide into the stuffing tube without bending?

tiqueman
10-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Stretch them firs. I usually pull them thru my hands as tight as I can for 2 or three minutes. They will slide right in

ecoovert
10-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Stretch them firs. I usually pull them thru my hands as tight as I can for 2 or three minutes. They will slide right in

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Say, while I have you here I have just installed a Leopard 4082 2200kv motor in my Miss Geico. In the proccess of making everything fit and removing the motor mount several times I seem to have stripped one of the metal sleeves the screw goes into the wooden portion of the hull. The screw is fine but the metal sleeve it screws into is stripped. Is there any way to pull that out and replace it on this boat? I looked all around the wood plate they are fitted into and can't find a way to pull them out from the bottom side. Of course there is no way to pull them out from the top as this would make them come out under stress while running the boat. Is there something I can pore into the sleeve to re thread it? Any ideas would be of great help.

ecoovert
10-03-2011, 08:48 PM
I could be wrong but it seems that when I aproach 60mph mine starts to porpoise less. I did however make my own offset rudder bracket which solved the problem all together. Maybe the larger prop simply allows you to reach a more stable speed.

tiqueman
10-03-2011, 09:42 PM
There's. Stuff called form a thread. You can get it at the auto parts store. I've never used it in hobby applications but it could work. You could also try some thread locjust snug it as much as possible, wait a few hours and try tightening it. Or do as I did and rip all that wood crap out and put in a real mount etc, more room to work, easier to get batteries in and out and looks better.

srislash
10-03-2011, 09:47 PM
I would maybe cut an access hole in the bulkhead under the motor to get to the blind nuts.BE very careful with that dremel though.One of mine stripped on my strut as well.

desmobob
10-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Is there any way to pull that out and replace it on this boat? I looked all around the wood plate they are fitted into and can't find a way to pull them out from the bottom side. Of course there is no way to pull them out from the top as this would make them come out under stress while running the boat. Is there something I can pore into the sleeve to re thread it? Any ideas would be of great help.

Those blind nuts seem to be made of some pretty mild steel and they strip easily. I've had that problem in the firewalls of some RC airplanes.

If it was my boat, I think I'd try to make a small hole in the bulkhead under the motor just big enough so I could reach in with a pair of tweezers and hold a conventional nut in place below the stripped blind nut while I threaded a longer screw in from the top through the motor mount. Then you could use a small ignition wrench to hold the nut while you tightened the motor mount screw. (I just bought a set of tiny metric ignition wrenches -- they're handy for hobby use.) If you were worried about compromising the strength of the bulkhead by making the hole, you could always epoxy a plywood patch over it when you were finished. That would make it even more fun to remove the mount the next time... :unsure:

Good luck with it,
desmobob

ecoovert
10-04-2011, 12:47 PM
There's. Stuff called form a thread. You can get it at the auto parts store. I've never used it in hobby applications but it could work. You could also try some thread locjust snug it as much as possible, wait a few hours and try tightening it. Or do as I did and rip all that wood crap out and put in a real mount etc, more room to work, easier to get batteries in and out and looks better.

Thanks for the idea tiqueman. I thought something like that existed but just didn't know what it was called.

ecoovert
10-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Those blind nuts seem to be made of some pretty mild steel and they strip easily. I've had that problem in the firewalls of some RC airplanes.

If it was my boat, I think I'd try to make a small hole in the bulkhead under the motor just big enough so I could reach in with a pair of tweezers and hold a conventional nut in place below the stripped blind nut while I threaded a longer screw in from the top through the motor mount. Then you could use a small ignition wrench to hold the nut while you tightened the motor mount screw. (I just bought a set of tiny metric ignition wrenches -- they're handy for hobby use.) If you were worried about compromising the strength of the bulkhead by making the hole, you could always epoxy a plywood patch over it when you were finished. That would make it even more fun to remove the mount the next time... :unsure:

Good luck with it,
desmobob

I like your idea desmobob. The only problem is finding a way to drill with onlyabout 1/4" to get the drill in. You see the bulkhead sets only about 1/2" above the hull and I would have to drill into the side of the bulkhead. I might have to drill in at an angle or better yet borrow my dads Dremmel and finish the job with a jewlwers file which I have a set of. I also have a set of Craftsman mini wrenches so I think your idea just may be the best solution. As to compromising the bulkhead I already added one of those water cooled motor mounts and removed the cooling plate from the front as I didn't need that. This holds the rear of the motor in place removing a lot of the stress from the bulkhead screws. In other words I have 4 screws holding my motor in place.

P.S. Super Glue holds the motor mount to the hull just fine. All I did was add a hard plastic strip between the 2 upright wood brackets that hold the rear motor mount in place. I superglued it all together and made it as a single unit and then superglued that in place using the gel form of superglue. This kind will bont to porouse surfaces. It's quick and a whole lot easier than fiberglassing it in. I think it's more solid as well.

Derrick Davis
10-04-2011, 04:05 PM
ecovert,
Would you mind taking a couple pictures of your project? :confused: I'm interested to see it. Thanks.

desmobob
10-04-2011, 05:29 PM
The only problem is finding a way to drill with onlyabout 1/4" to get the drill in. You see the bulkhead sets only about 1/2" above the hull and I would have to drill into the side of the bulkhead. I might have to drill in at an angle or better yet borrow my dads Dremmel and finish the job with a jewlwers file.

I'm guessing it would be easiest to "grind" the hole with a large burr bit on a Dremel rather than drill it. Although I do have a set of short twist drills with knurled knobs on the end that are made to be used by hand (from Tower Hobbies) that would likely work. You can probably even lay a regular old X-acto knife down in the hull and twirl it like a drill... the point of the blade will quickly go through the plywood bulkhead.

Good luck and keep us posted,
desmobob

PS - I have the Craftsman mini-wrenches too. I got them on eBay for cheap and they're handy!

ecoovert
10-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Sure, I would like to but lately having just moved all the way across the country I still havn't located my laptop. It has the software I like to use for uploading photos; my work computer which I'm using here does not. I hope someday someone in the family unpacks a box with my laptop in it. I also used it to edit videos for youtube.

ecoovert
10-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks for your input. As it stands right now I put some Superglue on the screw and screwed it in pushing extra hard on the screw as I screwed it in. I wish I had waited for all the ideas you guys brought forth. If what I did doesn't hold I'll use one of your methods. You are right about those little Craftsman mini wrenches.

roadrashracing
10-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Someone had one of these at the pond today, his had a plastic hatch, is this what they came with or is it something they changed?

tiqueman
10-09-2011, 10:43 PM
That's what they come with

ecoovert
10-10-2011, 12:36 PM
If your talking about the plastic hatch with the see trough windo, yes that's what they come with.

ecoovert
10-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Here you go. I finally got some pictures with my camera and found that I was able to install them on my work computer.6202262023620246202562026

ecoovert
10-11-2011, 10:08 AM
In case some of you would like to see my home made offset rudder bracket from another angle here it is. This simple setup works great. No more porpoising and it only cost maybe a couple of dollars to build. I must say I already had some 1/8" aluminum on hand.

d.a.v.e
10-11-2011, 01:38 PM
What motor is that?

ecoovert
10-11-2011, 04:17 PM
It's a Nemesis Gold 4082 in 2200kv configuration. Same thing as a Leopard 4082. This motor is rated at 4.66 horse power. Ofshore Electrics sells the Leopard version and Fine Design RC sells the gold version but Chris at finedesignrc.com sells his with the water jacket included. The water jackets run between $17 and $25 depending on where you get them. Chris sells the complete motor/water jacket package for $119.95. He also is great at talking you through your upgrades.

d.a.v.e
10-11-2011, 04:43 PM
What kind of speed are you seeing out of this with that monster in it? Did he sell you the added motor mount it looks like you have as well?

ecoovert
10-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Yes Chris sold me the package deal. That saved me about $10 as I would have paid about $17 for the jacket plus $110-$120 for the motor. The only thing that I considered was going ahead and ordering the Leopard jacket seperate as it would have added contrast as they are red. I think red and gold would have looked good together. But I did save money this way so I'm ok with that. I was getting about 65 out of my 4074 motor. With this motor adding another 1.4 horsepower I should be seeing around 80 depending on prop selection. With my x442 prop I should get mid 70s but if I were to install my x645 prop, well who knows.

Derrick Davis
10-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Nicely done....thanks for putting up the pictures! :thumbup1:

ecoovert
10-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks Derric: smile:

Make-a-Wake
10-17-2011, 11:43 PM
Got mine to run a bit better with a few more adjustments...........still porpoises a bit though......just not as bad.

One thing i have noticed is the use of some pretty cheap "wood" in the boat............or epoxy...................i have managed to rip both of the battery trays out by trying to remove my batteries..........why use such cheap stuff in an otherwise quality boat?

ecoovert
10-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Got mine to run a bit better with a few more adjustments...........still porpoises a bit though......just not as bad.

One thing i have noticed is the use of some pretty cheap "wood" in the boat............or epoxy...................i have managed to rip both of the battery trays out by trying to remove my batteries..........why use such cheap stuff in an otherwise quality boat?

If you are talking about the MG29 mine seems solid but I do know from the past with other boats that some are better epoxied than others of the same model. In the case of my Miss Geico I decided to order an extra hull just in case and this hull has more epoxy than my rtr. boat came with but so far it's still holding up. You only need to fiberglass it in or at least epoxy it and it should not give you any more trouble. By the way, what kind of adjustments did you make for the porpoising issue? My home made offset rudder bracket took care of it for me.

Good luck,

Eric

awall
10-20-2011, 06:02 PM
62582625836258462585Spent whole morning on the boat:

Sanded and blue printed hull

Replaced all connectors to gold 5.5mm (motor and esc)

Replaced zip tie on esc with velcro strap

Zip tied all water cooling lines at fittings

Stuffed two 12" foam noodle pieces up the forward sponsons

Slightly shortened water lines to motor to keep from pushing against the lid

Shaped, balanced and balanced new X642 prop

Added small racing decals (still have alittle graphic work to do)

Figured CG and added velcro to flimsy battery trays (I want to stiffen these up in the future)

I can't believe I have had the boat this long nd haven't got it out on the water yet. Think it all started with the painting. All well, I do that with most of my models.

tiqueman
10-20-2011, 06:49 PM
You did a nice job. Can't wait to see it on the water.

awall
10-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Me too!!! Probaly will take her out tomorrow. I did configure the jumper with 5.5mm connectors but might not need it ....will just hook batteries together without it.

ecoovert
10-20-2011, 07:59 PM
62582625836258462585Spent whole morning on the boat:

Sanded and blue printed hull

Replaced all connectors to gold 5.5mm (motor and esc)

Replaced zip tie on esc with velcro strap

Zip tied all water cooling lines at fittings

Stuffed two 12" foam noodle pieces up the forward sponsons

Slightly shortened water lines to motor to keep from pushing against the lid

Shaped, balanced and balanced new X642 prop

Added small racing decals (still have alittle graphic work to do)

Figured CG and added velcro to flimsy battery trays (I want to stiffen these up in the future)

I can't believe I have had the boat this long nd haven't got it out on the water yet. Think it all started with the painting. All well, I do that with most of my models.

I know how you feel. My boat has been ready with it's new 4082 motor for weeks but I havn't been able to get to the lake and may not be able to for quite some time. I went from the stock motor to a 4074 motor with 180 amp seaking esc.... I have ran it with the 4074 setup several times and wow! That thing is fast and stable with the offset rudder. Now I have even more of a beast of a motor, several sharpened and ballanced props up to an x645, Everything ready to run 2200kv. on 6s along with an offset rudder setup I made myself. I am just akin to get this beast on the water.

tiqueman
10-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Eco, I would highly recommend not running a 2200kv motor on 6s. And if you decide you have to, small prop for one short pass. That's over 48000 rpm

ecoovert
10-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Awsome paint job! I have done some nice paint jobs on rc trucks but working with a simple can of spray paint on a $40 clear body is easy next to having to sand the hull and gel coat everything once you are done on a $195 hull. Do you ever do this for others?

Diesel6401
10-21-2011, 12:55 AM
Eco, I would highly recommend not running a 2200kv motor on 6s. And if you decide you have to, small prop for one short pass. That's over 48000 rpm

+1!

Please refer to this thread on the subject: http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?23729-Obsession-with-6s

awall
10-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Maiden was great on stock prop. I love this boat. I flipped her once and the flimsy battery tray pulled out on the left side. Didn't have the hatch taped and everything inside was bone dry after fishing it out.

The trays in this boat are disappointing. I went ahead and removed the right tray with very little effort. I read somewhere that someone had this problem too.... but stated his had just a few drops of epoxy here and there down the length of the tray. Mine was glued on both sides down the whole length. The trays are to thin as you can here then crack and flex when you mount the lipos. My other issue is that, IMO...the trays need to extend to the very back (second step). To get the CG at at stock location (7 inches from 3rd step, or 9 inches from second step) the lipos sit half way off the rear of the trays and are bout an inch or two from the transom. I have added some foam up front but in any case I rather not have any amount of the lipo pack not being supported.

I'm thinking about fabbing new trays from little thicker ply and running a block of foam down its backbone under the tray. Maybe adding alittle epoxy between foam and bottom of boat. Before I glue them in I'll tke the oppertunity to add veclo straps. There is enough room to go radical and put them in in their sides. This would make it easier to load and unload. Might have to think that through.

The small piece of wood the retaines the servo with two screws was cupping pretty bad so I will be doing something different there too.

I hope to do this without adding any more weight.

awall
10-21-2011, 08:21 PM
Also noticed sunlight shining through the fiberglss resin on the inside edge of the left sponson. I sanded the sponsons and it got alittle thin here for my liking. I layered 5 minute epoxy in these edges on both sides while the trays were out.

Make-a-Wake
10-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Looks nice........................what is the "jumper" for? You just connect one pos. lead from a batt to the neg lead of the other batt for series.

awall
10-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Yeah..no jumper needed...just went wild when soldering. The lipo leads are long enough to connect.

awall
10-23-2011, 08:33 PM
Well... I've went back to touch up the sponson edges and painted them a bright orange. Might be a good color if I'm laying dead in the water during the race. HIGH VISABILITY!!!

I ended up cracking the tip off one side of my X642 prop as I ws pitching it ever so slightly. :doh: DANG IT! Anyway...I have since rounded the tips and pitched into the rounds. Maybe this will work out still. Probably will still re-order another one.

desmobob
10-23-2011, 10:30 PM
My buddy and I had a weekend of mixed water conditions for our Mystics. Saturday was choppy and we spent very little time running wide open and lots of time in the recovery kayak. Today, it was almost dead flat and we had a lot more fun. I finally remembered to bring the GPS along and my stock Mystic with an Octura x640 was running 40.6 MPH. We were having a good time and I didn't take the time to try my other props [stock prop, Prather 215 (same as stock?), and Octura x642].

My buddy had some issues with his RTR Mystic... when he put in his two 2S1P 5000mah 40C Turnigy packs and turned on his ESC switch, the beeping of the battery confirmation and ESC arming was barely audible; at first, we didn't hear it at all. When he took off and got to the far side of the bay, his boat went dead in the water. After about a minute, it responded again and he ran the rest of the pack out with no incident. On the next set of batteries, it also quit mid-run in the same spot and again responded after a minute or so.

He's using the supplied ProBoat Tx and Spektrum marine receiver and has the long side of the antenna up in the antenna tube and the short end running forward in the hull. Since the incident happened in the same spot --at the farthest distance we had been running the boats-- he thought he may have run out of radio range. But my boat with its cheap HobbyKing Tx and single antenna receiver (with a shorter antenna than his, no less) had no problem in the same spot.

What might cause the barely audible beeping when the ESC is powered up? Could the issue with the boat going dead in the water be related? Curious....

Take it easy,
desmobob

Make-a-Wake
10-23-2011, 10:46 PM
Ran my Mystic today in a new local pond i found..............................ran decent for about 5 laps then slowed a bit..................hmmmm....................went around two more times and noticed no spray from the outlet. Brought her in and the was a 2" minnow wrapped nealty around the rudder right in the exact spot where the pickup is. :cursing: Opened her up and smoke came out.........not alot but a bit did come out. Checked the motor and could only hold my finger on it for about a second.........smelled a bit burned too. I let it cool for a couple minutes and fired it back up, Everything worked and i gave it a full throttle blip and it revved up but didnt sound like it was revving all the way to its top rpm. I'll know when i run it next if it suffered damage.:Praying:

awall
10-23-2011, 11:17 PM
I ran mine in a small pond in front of the house. I noticed my boat slow alot.... brought it in...and had about a half a dozen pine needles wrapped around the rudder. Removed and it's ok. Funny what just alittle debris will do.

Hope your cat is ok.

Derrick Davis
10-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Hey desmobob,

I could be delirious (according to my Wife), but I think I recall reading a thread / post on this forum by Darin Jordan addressing the faint audible sound of the electronic arming system. I believe he said that the loud audible sound will be heard basd on where the motor has stopped from the last time it it was run. Seems strange, I know.
I tested this using the following method...
BEFORE i plugged in any batterys, I turned the prop horizontal. I plugged in both battery packs in the boat and turned on the radio and then the boat electronics. I heard the normal (loud) beeping sound indicating that the boat was now in arming mode. I UNPLUGGED the batterys in the boat (turned off the radio) and turned the prop vertical and then turned everything on again. This time I could barely here the arming beeps. This might be what your buddy was dealing with. It will still arm as normal, just a difference in audible tone level. Regarding the loss of signal- Thats a head scratcher. :confused2: Could it be that the electronic gear you have in your boat might have better reception? I bought the PNP Mystic and I use Spectrums DX3s radio and MR200 receiver and have been very satisfied with the range. It does have it's limits though.

I tried a new octura x642 prop (balanced, sharpend & polished) on my Mystic this weekend (my son has one on his Blackjack). WoW! If I could keep the Mystic's front end down I think the boat would really be fast! I flipped it pretty easily and and was not able to give it full throttle :doh:. I think I read a post by you awhile back where you stated you had a similar experience with the x640 prop? I didn't have enough time to make adjustments to the CG. Next time. :drool:
Have a good day.

Darin Jordan
10-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Hey desmobob,

I could be delirious (according to my Wife), but I think I recall reading a thread / post on this forum by Darin Jordan addressing the faint audible sound of the electronic arming system. I believe he said that the loud audible sound will be heard basd on where the motor has stopped from the last time it it was run.

The "Beeps" you hear when arming are actually coming from the motor. The ESC is sending power thorough the windings to make that happen. If the rotor is slightly turned, the volume of the beeps will change. The next time it's weak, try carefully rotating the coupler (NOT BY THE PROP!!) a tad and you should hear them get louder. Only a convenience... doesn't change the way it arms/runs...

As for the range on the DX3s... You should be able to drive that system out until you can't see it any longer... I know for certain that mine has a range of well over 900fts... which is about the limits of being able to accurately see the boat. If you are not getting that range, then there may be other issues. I have had situations where there were things under the waters surface (water pipes, etc.) or strange "dead-spots" on the lake which have interfered, but that is a rare occurrence.

desmobob
10-24-2011, 10:37 AM
As for the range on the DX3s... You should be able to drive that system out until you can't see it any longer... I know for certain that mine has a range of well over 900fts... which is about the limits of being able to accurately see the boat. If you are not getting that range, then there may be other issues. I have had situations where there were things under the waters surface (water pipes, etc.) or strange "dead-spots" on the lake which have interfered, but that is a rare occurrence.

Hi Darin,

Thanks for confirming Derrick's response on the beeping. That will give my buddy some piece of mind.

As for the range issue (if that's what it is), I looked carefully at his wiring and he has his antenna routed in exactly the same manner as I do, plus his antenna is longer so it stands up above the boat farther AND he has a second antenna. I almost thought maybe the fact it died in the same spot was some kind of coincidence and it was related to something other than radio range -- highly doubtful, though.

I would estimate the distance to where the problem area was to be about 125-150 yards, which is farther away than we need to be running, really, so it's no big deal. The second time it happened I took note of his Tx antenna attitude, etc, and everything looked fine.

We plan on popping the kayak in the water and doing some on-the-water range testing next weekend. I'll bring my laser rangefinder to measure distances. That should provide some interesting information for the three of us who all use different radio systems in our boats.

Thanks again for the help, Darin and Derrick,
desmobob

Darin Jordan
10-24-2011, 10:40 AM
We plan on popping the kayak in the water and doing some on-the-water range testing next weekend. I'll bring my laser rangefinder to measure distances. That should provide some interesting information for the three of us who all use different radio systems in our boats.

Thanks again for the help, Darin and Derrick,
desmobob

Test it in different directions around the lake... 2.4ghz happens to be the same as many land-line wireless phones, etc... so sometimes those CAN have an effect... or so I've been told. Some of our lakes have "dead-spots", where everyone's boats (Futaba, Spektrum, etc) seem to have issues... test it in different locations around the lake and see what happens.

desmobob
10-24-2011, 10:56 AM
I tried a new octura x642 prop (balanced, sharpend & polished) on my Mystic this weekend (my son has one on his Blackjack). WoW! If I could keep the Mystic's front end down I think the boat would really be fast! I flipped it pretty easily and and was not able to give it full throttle :doh:. I think I read a post by you awhile back where you stated you had a similar experience with the x640 prop? I didn't have enough time to make adjustments to the CG. Next time. :drool:
Have a good day.

I did experience the same kind of thing when I first tried my x640, but now that I've run the boat some more (I'm new at the RC boat stuff), I'm realizing that my problem that day was water conditions, not new-found excess speed. ;)

The one time I tried my x642, the water was dead flat but I didn't have my GPS with me and only had one set of batteries. It was also very weedy in the area I was running. I never got a chance to do back-to-back runs with the x640 vs. x642, and even if I did, I wouldn't know how many strands of milfoil were hanging off the rudder during each run!

Yesterday I had enough batteries charged and had the GPS with me, but my buddy and I were having fun AND were on a limited time schedule so I didn't do any comparisons. Hoepfully, I'll get to it before the lake freezes over! :)

Take it easy,
desmobob

awall
10-24-2011, 10:19 PM
Looking forward to your opinions on the 642 vs. 640. I have both coming. I broke a tip of the ended of my current 642 before I had a chance to run it. So Ive rounded the ends and cupped it. I'll report on it once I can get it in the water. I'm working on replacing the battery trays with 1/8 birch ply and redoing the sponson blueprinting. I want sharper edges.

awall
10-25-2011, 10:37 PM
:buttrock:62782Installed beefed up battery trays. Epoxied in best I can. Will spray foam under next. Ready to go after painting sponsons...sanding edges...painting again..sanding edges again. WOW. Lot a work. But wanna race hard!

Now have a new proboat stiletto to start tearing apart.

awall
10-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Everything back together. Finally. Have the new X642 (sharpened, rounded tips, detounged and slightly cupped) installed. We will see what this thing can do... if anything.

Last thing is to see if I can fit my sprint evo under the hatch to get gps readouts...but might add to much weight.

ecoovert
10-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Great job on the fiberglass hatch.

awall
10-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Here are more pics of my cat. And a pic of my modded prop.

desmobob
10-28-2011, 08:18 PM
I did experience the same kind of thing when I first tried my x640, but now that I've run the boat some more (I'm new at the RC boat stuff), I'm realizing that my problem that day was water conditions, not new-found excess speed. ;)

The one time I tried my x642, the water was dead flat but I didn't have my GPS with me and only had one set of batteries. It was also very weedy in the area I was running. I never got a chance to do back-to-back runs with the x640 vs. x642, and even if I did, I wouldn't know how many strands of milfoil were hanging off the rudder during each run!

Yesterday I had enough batteries charged and had the GPS with me, but my buddy and I were having fun AND were on a limited time schedule so I didn't do any comparisons. Hoepfully, I'll get to it before the lake freezes over! :)

Man, it turns out I really was all wet on my prop testing.

I got out my props today to sharpen a spare x640 I have, so I decided to touch up the other ones in the box. The prop I had thought was an x642 was an x445! No wonder the boat didn't seem faster... it was probably struggling to turn that thing. I have an x642 and a Grim 42x55 on the way but I don't know if I'll get a chance to try them this weekend. We have a winter storm warning in effect for tomorrow afternoon through Sunday. I'm having a hard time accepting the fact that summer is over. And by the time I accept the fact that fall is here, it will be winter!

Take it easy,
desmobob

awall
10-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Hard to keep props straight I'm finding. More you have the harder it is...I need to get a tag system down. You have a decent size storm effecting you all up there. You could just drive 11 hours down here and drive in the pond on my island in 70+ temps. LOL Sorry

ecoovert
10-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Well here in Lenoir, NC it's been rather cold today and we could even see an inch or so of snow before the day is over. Yesterday though we got up to about 75. Well enjoy your weather there awall.

desmobob
10-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Hard to keep props straight I'm finding. More you have the harder it is...I need to get a tag system down.

I looked around the shop for a small, compartmented plastic box to use for props but I couldn't find one. I'll stop at a few stores tomorrow and find something to help me keep things organized. I had my props in the pocket of a small Maxpedition pouch that I use to carry my small tools and boat stuff. I found out that a sharpened Prather stainless steel prop can put some mean cuts in an Octura beryllium copper prop. I need to keep them segregated!

You have a decent size storm effecting you all up there. You could just drive 11 hours down here and drive in the pond on my island in 70+ temps. LOL Sorry

Yeah, but then I'd miss out on skiing, snowshoeing, ice fishing, snowmobiling...
...and shoveling, snowblowing, $4/gallon heating oil, walking in the slush, having the road salt rust my car away... hmm...

Take it easy,
desmobob

awall
10-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Yeah I think i'm going to use a segmented plastic box to keep each prop organized. The one thing I love about southern sc coast is that we have florida weather and golf and rc boating re year round things. Sorry for the snow. That's why I moved from Ohio. LOL

Derrick Davis
10-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Regarding a prop container / organizer-
I found some nice options at arts and craft stores. They have various sizes of plastic containers that have individual compartments that are perfect for the props we use! :thumbup1: I found mine at a store called Micheal's Arts and crafts. Look in the beads section. I then labeled each compartment with the prop size. True story.

desmobob - I think you'll be impressed with the performance that the x642 prop will give your Mystic (if you get the chance before the snow). I'm running mine now fairly well. Temps are good and the cg I'm using is about 8.5 inches from the transom. I'll be running mine today! :beerchug:

awall
10-29-2011, 02:05 PM
Charging 6 lipos now. Going to load everything in my colf cart and drive around to the islands front pond which is bigger than my pond. I'll be using a lipo tester/alarm for the first time in a boat. 63 deg./18 mph wind right now.

awall
10-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Had a fun session at the pond. Boat jumped up out of the water at wot everytime. WOW! Have to watch that. I've been running factory drive shaft angle (which in my case, on a table the drive shaft left the rear of the sponsons off the table by 3/16 or so.) I don't know if that is the desired setting but the boat seemed very loose and ran on the edge of blowing over at wot. Front edge of lipo packs were right at the same line of the crossmember behind the motor. Might need lipos alittle forward and/or more positive angle on the drive line to keep nose down. I marked the stock location before adjustments so I can return there if I go wrong. Also had alittle wind which contributed no doubt.

I didn't run any telemetry. I have a new x642 aluminum on the way so I will sharpen and balance and run it with no mods to compare.

Figured I would mount my lipo alarm/display under the lid which shows through the windshield of the hatch. Just need to attach a balance plug extension to make it easy to hook up.

Also put my retrieval system through the paces 3Xs. lol630186301963020

awall
10-29-2011, 09:24 PM
Here is video of my run and crash.

http://s1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/welleram/RC%20Videos/?action=view&current=video-2011-10-29-17-22-31.mp4

awall
10-29-2011, 10:42 PM
I didn't like how far into the right battery tray the servo arm intrudes. So I removed the servo mounting tabs and slid the servo toward the center by around 1/4 inch with a small dab of ca. Didn't effect any clearances. Now tray is alittle more open. The arm was rubbing my 5000mah packs. I also twisted the control rod 180 degrees so that the bent end was near the lipo and not the cut off edge.

desmobob
10-30-2011, 08:32 PM
Regarding a prop container / organizer-
I found some nice options at arts and craft stores. They have various sizes of plastic containers that have individual compartments that are perfect for the props we use! :thumbup1: I found mine at a store called Micheal's Arts and crafts. Look in the beads section. I then labeled each compartment with the prop size. True story.

desmobob - I think you'll be impressed with the performance that the x642 prop will give your Mystic (if you get the chance before the snow). I'm running mine now fairly well. Temps are good and the cg I'm using is about 8.5 inches from the transom. I'll be running mine today! :beerchug:

I sometimes prowl the craft store for fly tying materials... guess I'll have to check them out for RC boating supplies, too!

We dodged the bullet as far as the big snowstorm went. I'm far enough north that we only got a dusting, but I spent the weekend with some lady friends a little farther south. We had a wine tasting party last night and I'm still recovering... I'm ready to hit the sack (at 8:30 pm) actually. :blink:

Hopefully, I'll get to try an x642 next weekend, weather permitting. Thanks for the cg set-up tip.

Happy Halloween,
desmobob

Medic33
11-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Just got back from running mine. Completely stock powertrain, cg is at 9" from transom, stock prop (Prather 215?) balanced, polished & sharpened, strut raised even with bottom of sponsons. GPS'd at 34.17 mph (actually at 55KPH, eh?). Have a x642 coming, would like to see 40+ without too many mods - or am I dreaming?!?

ed

desmobob
11-15-2011, 06:15 PM
would like to see 40+ without too many mods - or am I dreaming?!?

ed

You can get it. I GPS'd mine at 40.8 MPH, all stock except prop; running cool and happy. :-)

Take it easy,
desmobob

Derrick Davis
11-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Hey desmobob.
Glad to hear your having success running the x642 prop on your Mystic. I have a newly s/b/p octura x642 that I'm running now also. I picked up an inexpensive temp gauge that seems to work well. After a 5 minute run the temps are 89 degrees on the ESC, 100 on the batteries, 108 on the motor.
Is this the range of temps you are getting?
I had some very high temps at the connectors between the motor and esc (before I got my temp gauge). Two of the three motor wires actually fused together due to heat (shrink tube melted together). I recently swapped out all connectors in the boat to 5.5 bullets.
Last run I made of approximately 5 minutes with the new bullet connectors, I found that the connectors were still quite warm (112 degrees). In fact, the new heat shrink tubing I have on the new 5.5 bullets was smoking.... I hope it was the tubing that was smoking. :Praying: I'm going to run again today after work. Will take some temp reading again for accuracy.
Woke up too 12 degrees above zero this morning....brrrr. Better get my runs in late this afternoon before the sun goes down. It'll be a quick run with the Mystic! My days are numbered running boats as snow is in the forecast for this weekend. Sigh... :beerchug:

tiqueman
11-17-2011, 12:46 PM
DD, your temps are great. 140 on anything is when I start worrying. After a 4min heat race, Im 135 motor, 110 batts (4S2P), 115-120 esc and about 170 on 8mm bullets. This is not running the 1800, but the 1500 w/ a M445. Cooler water temps are helping you as well. i just went back to my M445 as I couldnt run it here in Fl over the summer.

Medic33
11-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Snow on it's way into Ontario, as well... Time is running out.

What would be a moderate upgrade on the motor in the Mystic? Obviously, I would need to upgrade the ESC as well, planning on doing that regardless... Want to stick with 4S, just looking for something that would give me 15-20% more zoom out of her.....

tiqueman
11-17-2011, 12:49 PM
When I do my next one, it will have a Leopard 4074 2200 on 4S, Seaking 180 controller. 55 should be easy.

desmobob
11-17-2011, 01:53 PM
After a 5 minute run the temps are 89 degrees on the ESC, 100 on the batteries, 108 on the motor.
Is this the range of temps you are getting?
I had some very high temps at the connectors between the motor and esc (before I got my temp gauge). Two of the three motor wires actually fused together due to heat (shrink tube melted together). I recently swapped out all connectors in the boat to 5.5 bullets.
Last run I made of approximately 5 minutes with the new bullet connectors, I found that the connectors were still quite warm (112 degrees). In fact, the new heat shrink tubing I have on the new 5.5 bullets was smoking.... I hope it was the tubing that was smoking.

DD,
I'm still using my x640 and have yet to s/b/p my x642 to get it ready for use! I have temps +- 90/90/90 with the all-stock set-up and the x640. 40+MPH.

I installed a new Seaking 120A ESC last night and upgraded my motor connectors to 5.5mm bullets. When I desoldered the old bullets, I was surprised to see the solder inside all three of them was very dull whitish/gray, like a cold solder joint looks. The wires popped out of the old bullets very easily before the solder had really melted. I didn't have any problems previously but the condition of the solder joints looked awful. I've never checked the temp of my ESC-to-motor bullets, but you can bet I will now.

And to keep me worrying, my new solder joints were not up the quality I usually achieve. I ran out of my usual solder and used some very cheap Chinese 63/37 that doesn't have a flux core. I used No-Korrode paste flux and did an OK job, but the cheap solder just didn't flow like I'm used to. I have some better solder due to arrive tomorrow so maybe I'll do them over again....

The weather is hanging in there for us here; around 50 all week. Maybe some snow on Tuesday. My next chance to run the Mystic is on Sunday if the lake is calm enough. I have my fingers crossed!

Take it easy,
desmobob

ecoovert
11-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Say DOUBLE D, I couldn't help but respond to your post. Pardon me for not going back and checking your previous posts as I'm very buisy these days. If you're running the boat stock the 5.5mm plugs should be plenty. I' ran my MG-29 last Saturday here with a 4082 Leopard motor using a 180 amp esc on 6s with an x645 prop with similar temps using 6mm plugs. The outside temp on that day was 62 degrees. My temps were 82 for the motor, 98 for the esc but I forgot to check the lipo temps. On that day I pushed her up to over 84mph. with that setup. If you care to would you tell me what you have in your Mystic? Is it stock or have you made changes? Are you running it on 4s or 6s? I will say that when I was using the Turnigy 120 amp esc with a 4074 Tacon motor the esc fried. Since Then I upgraded to the Turnigy 180 amp esc and have had no problems since and now my temps stay low.

Was using 30c-40c lipos before but just got in a set of 35c-70c Nano Tech lipos as the 30c lipos seem to begin swelling after too few runs. It will also be interesting to see what happens to the temps.

tiqueman
11-17-2011, 04:45 PM
And say eco, id really like to see a vid of this hull going 84mph

What motor were you using?

ecoovert
11-17-2011, 04:52 PM
Sorry about the poor quality of the video but here is a vid my nephew shot of the boat on that same day. This wasn't the actual speed run but it was moving along pretty well here. My problem is trying to find someone willing to go with me and shoot video as I drive my boat. But here it is the closest video of a speed run I have at this time. I think I was running it a little dry here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu3FDsfhHJ4

tiqueman
11-17-2011, 05:03 PM
Well if you got yours doing proved 84mph then your better than most on here because no one else can keep it on the water. Id really like to see consecutive times bouy to bouy or gps runs. Your runnin 55ish on your current set up. Ask me how I know? And put that set up on 4S in a race and see how your temps are. My 8mm bullets hit 220F. Running like you do youll never get hot

EDIT, just an observation, Im in no way bashing or trying to be negative

Derrick Davis
11-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Eccovert,

Thanks for the input. My set up is stock except for the octura X642 prop (s/b/p). I'm using Turnigy 40-50c 5000 mah Lipo batteries x2 (4s). I want to do what desmobob did (and many others) and put in a 120a sea king esc, just haven't done it yet. There are quite a number of folks here that swear by having more "head room". I like this idea. Especially if it means reducing the risk of burning up electronics!
I am noticing that the flex shaft is seperating..... Wonder if this is causing excessive friction in the stuffing tube that is turning into heat in the electrical system?:confused:

Desmobob - I did order (and received today) the lead teflon sleeves from OSE. Very fast service from the folks at OSE I might add! If I get time this weekend I'll replace the bushings that are in there now with the new ones. I better order a new flex shaft as well. Darn, why didn't I think of that when I ordered the bushings. :doh:

ecoovert
11-17-2011, 11:06 PM
I know how you feel. Whel I ordered mt 4082 motor from OSE I forgot I would need some 6mm plugs for the esc and lipos I ordered to go with it. I had everything at home and began on my project only to find out that all I had were 5.5mm and 6.5mm plugs. Worst than that when I did order the plugs to go with my setup I ordered 6.5mm plugs instead of 6mm plugs.:frusty: Needless to say I had to wait another week to finish my project. I hate to say it but take it from me, it probably won't be the last time. As to the flexshaft I would go ahead and replace it if I were you. I always like to keep extre flexshafts and teflon tubing on hand as these are kind of like tires on rc trucks. They will ware out or break at some point.

Good luck DOUBLE D.

ecoovert
11-17-2011, 11:33 PM
Tiqueman,

I havn't done it yet with the larger motor but I ran ovals at 80%-100% throttle on my older 4074 motor for about 5 minutes non stop and when I got her back the motor temp was 114 degrees and the esc temp was at 119 degrees. the plugs on the motor were only 5.5mm and I was using 6.5mm plugs between the lipos and the esc. Here is someone running the same motor as mine on a Genesis which is a larger boat than mine check his gps run out. That's the best I've seen done with a Genesis. Just because you didn't see it on youtube doesn't mean it can't be done. Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQq5va2_Q-A

tiqueman
11-17-2011, 11:39 PM
Never said its not possible, but just because a Genesis will do it doesnt mean a Proboat hull will. thats what I was getting at.. and my point, you havent done over 84 w/ yours, youve done about 50, BUT!!! when you do finally runyours on that set up, you best be runnin that vid because all of us want to see it. I hope you acheive it. it will be a big day for the PB hull.

johnf
11-17-2011, 11:58 PM
Eco I'm confused. You ran 84 with the big leopard like you originally stated, or is it not installed?