PDA

View Full Version : Futaba 2.4 had a bit of an issue!!!

Steven Vaccaro
05-24-2011, 11:28 PM
I've been told on more than one occasion that the Futaba 2.4 is much more reliable than a Spektrum. Please explain that to the gas guy at my pond. See pics

The boat lost signal and literally drove straight as an arrow for about 1/2 mile. It then hit the rocks and totaled. If it was about 100-200 left of where he hit, the boat would have hit a gradual shore and up into the play ground. The good news is that the radio is now binding perfectly again. :tongue_smilie:

tiqueman
05-24-2011, 11:35 PM
Scary. Ive been running a Futaba 2.4 for a few years now and have it linked to ALL my FE boats and never had an issue, except if the RX gets wet.. then it gets a mind of its own. Had that happen twice and have since stopped slacking and filled all my rxs w/ di-electric grease. Ive seen quite a few spektrum issues at the local club races. A lot of folks reference a "dead" spot but Ive never had an issue.

GP73
05-24-2011, 11:48 PM
I thought they had a failsafe built in? :confused2:

That's scary. :eek:

tiqueman
05-24-2011, 11:54 PM
I belive they do, but it takes 3 seconds for it to kick in. In a stock 40mph boat, thats waaay too long, let alone all the other speeds we are running. Both times I lost rx do to water intrusion, the boat went full tilt at the shore line and cut out before it hit the bank. the first time it did it, 100 yards of clear shore line and it was going straight for the 4 foot wide concrete culvert. It lost powere and barely bumbed into the concrete. Talk about having to chage your britches....

line6
05-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Thats a shame. but that one dont look like a fasst.

Jason Sims

Steven Vaccaro
05-25-2011, 12:01 AM
No fail safe in this one or it didnt work. It ran for probably 20 seconds or longer.

tiqueman
05-25-2011, 12:11 AM
Im using the 603FF's and Ive been told they have one and are on a delay... Ive never been ambitious enough about it to look it up though. I do know that the one pictured compared to mine is a bit less expensive.... I hate buying new Rxs.... Although, at the local shop, the last time I got one they had dropped in price by $20.00 or so.

GP73
05-25-2011, 12:13 AM
Well you could test it on the bench, I have done testing with my Spektrum receivers and they do go into failsafe fairly quickly, but that kind of damage is still scary... :eek:

fuse01
05-25-2011, 12:15 AM
i use FASST as well no issues . but i'm on the new RX 614 on 4PKS

jcald2000
05-25-2011, 05:36 AM
You MUST keep any reciver dry, i use conformal coating on my ESC's and receiver's.
Plus if you use analog servos you must push the fail safe button EACH time you run.

Fluid
05-25-2011, 07:21 AM
One failure is proof of nothing. The Futaba radios have become de rigeur for the gas clubs in Texas, although there are some Spektrum and Airtronics seen. I was the first to show up at a mixed fuel race with a 2.4 radio about 4 years ago and the gas guys all thought I was nuts. Now at a race with 75 drivers only a handful of 27 and 75 band radios are seen.

No radio will work with low receiver batteries, set up wrong or with the antenna shielded by the tuned pipe. The gas guys learned the latter the hard way and usually place their receivers at the top of the radio box. Some even extend the antenna for better reception. It is hard to tell from the photo, but the antenna exits the radio box quite a ways from the receiver - meaning less extending up in the air. Still, runaways are far less prevalent today than they were three years ago at 300-boat races. All the ones I've seen recently (very very few) were with Spektrum radios, but that does not mean Spektrum radios are bad. Human error is still the chief cause of problems.

Steven Vaccaro
05-25-2011, 07:56 AM
One failure is proof of nothing.

I dont think I said it was. I would be pretty tunnel visioned to think differently.

I'm just tired of hearing people bash Spektrum. I've been running Spektrum in cars and boats for about 4 years now. 0 failures. 0 run aways. Every time some a post comes up about the two someone will always say that they have never seen a Futaba 2.4 issue. Well its now been reported to them. :Peace_Sign:

Grimracer
05-25-2011, 08:18 AM
Steven,

I would place a bet that the ON/OFF switch gave up.. most of the gas guys just do not take care of there switches… the vibration is lower then a nitro boat and can be very hard on switches..

I can say "without even seeing the setup" the switch failed.. most of the time the switch will work again on shore and then if the boat survived they “Launch it again” Scary!

Grim

Grimracer
05-25-2011, 08:20 AM
looking at the pics..

He put a budget FHSS system in a gas boat.. need more be said..

THE SWITCH!

Grim

don ferrette
05-25-2011, 08:31 AM
I always find it interesting how as soon as a boat goes out of control the radio automatically gets blamed regardless of who makes it........ :confused2:

Now with that being said it's time for a few points to be made-

1- 2.4 RX's are even less tolerant of moisture than their FM counterparts. A clear radio box lid is not a good thing to have when it's exposed to direct sunlight like that one is. Even if the box is totally watertight the clear lid can and will allow for drastic temp and humidity level changes inside the box. This is why many manufacturers like Aeromarine tint their lids.
2- 2.4 RX's do not tolerate excessive heat and typically will shut down when too hot. As above the clear radio box lid out in the open like that is not good as well as it being a black boat. It's always good to toss a towel over any dark colored boat if it's going to sit in the sun for any length of time. This also applies to protecting a dark colored 'glass boat from getting to hot and warping, seen that happen a few times before as well to a newer boat left in direct sunlight. A 'glass and resin hull can take up to 6 months before it is truly 100% cured and can still be affected by excessive heat regardless of age.
3- 2.4 systems are all vertically polarized. This means simply that the RX antenna needs to be vertically mounted. Yeah there are those who are leaving the antenna laying in the box but to me that's like playing Russian Roulette with multiple bullets.
4- 2.4 systems have a tougher time dealing with metal and carbon fiber. This is why it's essential to get the last inch of the antenna above any metal or carbon fiber. The last inch is the actual antenna BTW, the rest is coaxial leader.
5- A strong 6 volts is an absolute MUST to power the RX. This is even more of a factor with so many people switching to digital servos which draw constantly on the battery even in neutral. I will not even consider running any less than 2000mah packs in a heat race application and most of my packs are 2500mah.
6- Do not rely on a "volt watch" type of accessory to tell you pack condition. All these things do is give you an approximate voltage reading which can change drastically under load. I also have seen on a few recently give false readings saying a pack was good when it wasn't, almost cost a well known boater a boat.
7- Spark ignition systems on gas boats are capable of generating way more RF interference than their nitro or FE counterparts. I have seen a gas boat have radio problems from nothing more than a bad resistor spark plug more than a few times. Extra care must be taken with these boats because of said ignition systems yet the gassers seem to cut corners more than most others. Still trying to figure that one out......
8- On-off switches need to be replaced REGULARLY! These are a moving part that see tons of use and wear out. I replace switches annually and use high quality ones as well. The switch is one place to NEVER cut corners. In all the years I've been doing this a vast majority of radio "issues" were from cheap or worn out switches or weak battery packs.

Now all this applies to any 2.4 system regardless of who makes it. Bottom line is in my opinion you can't "overdo it" when it comes to radio gear and is why I buy the best I can get. I've never understood the mentality of relying on a $50 radio to run a $1500 (or more) boat.

And I will still take a Futaba FASST radio over any other 2.4 system out there without hesitation. :cool2:

AndyKunz
05-25-2011, 08:44 AM
Don't assume that ALL 2.4's have the same limitations as your radio, Don.

Spektrum has receivers that are quite water-resistant and DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY FOR BOAT USE.

Spektrum receivers do not have problems with heat. We have published reports of them baking in ovens, working perfectly well, long after the plastic covers are useless.

Spektrum is used successfully in ignition-powered vehicles without any more protection than what would have been used in 72 MHz (usually with less).

Most of your other points I agree with - especially the $50 radio in the $1500 boat point.

I will still use my Spektrum radios in all my airplanes and boats. But then, I'm just a week bit prejudiced since I work on the design team.

Andy

detox
05-25-2011, 08:52 AM
Eliminate the switch. I plug my rx batteries into receiver before running.

My FE boat once died on the water (no steering or throttle). The 1600mah receiver batteries were low.

LuckyDuc
05-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Steven,

I would place a bet that the ON/OFF switch gave up..

Grim
That's what my money is on. I've seen it first hand too.
I don't use switches anymore. I use bullet connectors and a wire loop to close/open my Radio box circuit.

don ferrette
05-25-2011, 08:56 AM

Spektrum has receivers that are quite water-resistant and DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY FOR BOAT USE.

Spektrum receivers do not have problems with heat. We have published reports of them baking in ovens, working perfectly well, long after the plastic covers are useless.

Spektrum is used successfully in ignition-powered vehicles without any more protection than what would have been used in 72 MHz (usually with less).

Most of your other points I agree with - especially the $50 radio in the $1500 boat point.

I will still use my Spektrum radios in all my airplanes and boats. But then, I'm just a week bit prejudiced since I work on the design team.

Andy
Sorry Andy but I've seen every issue I've listed happen to Spektrum radios as well including serious range problems in the recent past. Unlike yourself I made it a point to not address any single manufacturer in regard to the 8 recommendations I made but have seen any number of them happen on boats with different brands of radio systems in them. Sounds like you guys have now addressed the issues that earlier plagued the Spektrum 2.4 radios and kudos to you and your design team.

AndyKunz
05-25-2011, 09:10 AM
We haven't had any problems with the Marine systems.

Perhaps you are referring to the (wrong) usage of Spektrum Surface (car, SR-series) receivers in Marine applications. The Marine radios were one of the first projects I worked on when I got here; prior to that we (engineering) had not recommended use of car products on the water.

Andy

Fluid
05-25-2011, 10:33 AM
Eliminate the switch. I plug my rx batteries into receiver before running.

This doesn't work for gas boats. Most guys will not open their radio box during a day of racing, they need an external switch.

To clarify, when I noted the failure of Spektrum radios in my above post, I have no idea if they were the marine version or not. Frankly, based on how gassers seem to cut corners more than most others with their radios, I'd guess they were not marine versions.

don ferrette
05-25-2011, 10:52 AM

Perhaps you are referring to the (wrong) usage of Spektrum Surface (car, SR-series) receivers in Marine applications. The Marine radios were one of the first projects I worked on when I got here; prior to that we (engineering) had not recommended use of car products on the water.

AndyThat's good to know, it's shame it took as long as it did for that information to get out. More than a few unhappy boaters looking for answers got told differently by Spektrum folks before it was said to not use them for boats (and those stories were posted on various "marine" forums). Most likely explains why you guys are still digging out from the bad rap that exists to this day. Glad to see that it appears it will no longer be the case with the Spektrum radios. :smile:

LuckyDuc
05-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Here is an example of my external switch for my IC boat radio boxes. Nice, simple, and reliable.

Fluid
05-25-2011, 11:13 AM
Elegant solution. Too bad few gas guys can solder reliably.....

Grimracer
05-25-2011, 11:14 AM

Andy

Andy.. it has been working out better.. maybe it was the "Crash Investigation Team"

Grim

tiqueman
05-25-2011, 11:20 AM
I also will say that I am running one Spektrum controlled boat (Mr3000) and have not had any issues with it. It is the unit that comes w/ the Proboat Geico. I did have steering gitters once but thats because I hit something in the water, blew the strut all outta whack and water intruded up the shafts and the rx and servo got sprayed as water slung around the hull. Within an hour it all worked fine. Although a lesser expensive unit, I do wish it had model memory as I do enjoy the radio. But Ive always had Futaba radios and very rarely have had an issue.

At some point or another something is going to fail, whether maintained or not, its electronics. Back in the day, I was one of those who would run a $1500. gasser and a $80 radio. Its the best I could do at the time. And even at that, I had a couple Rxs go under salt water and still use them today. They were FM type RXs and that was over 10 years ago. I still dont run the best of the best, but I love my Futaba Fasst 2.4 T3PM radio.

I can see this becoming a "Chevy vs Ford" type battle. I think as for brand, run what you can afford, run whats well suited for your application and maybe even run whats available in your LHS so its easy to pick up spare rxs etc..... At some point you may encounter a problem, but try and figure out what it was (switch, water, impropper install, etc) and move on to fix the issue. The older I get in life, Im finally begginning to accept that $h1t happens..... and focus more on why and how not to let it happen again. :thumbup:

tiqueman
05-25-2011, 11:23 AM
Here is an example of my external switch for my IC boat radio boxes. Nice, simple, and reliable.

Thats a fantastic idea.... very clean. If I ever run my gassers again, looks like I have something to do to them.....

AndyKunz
05-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Elegant solution. Too bad few gas guys can solder reliably.....

<flame suit on>

It's not just nitro and gas boaters that can't solder well, Jay!

Andy

<keeping flame suit on :) >

siberianhusky
05-25-2011, 01:21 PM
I was very surprised how quickly 2 digital servos would drain a 6v AAA rx pack in my JAE 12.
Very easily could have turned ugly. As they say ignorance is bliss though.
So far never had an issue with my Spektrum that I honestly can't attribute to user error, bad antennae routing the two times funky things have happened, once blocked by the pipe on the rigger, once in a SV27 the antennae would go below the water line in sharp turns, both times extending the antennae properly above the hull completely eliminated the problems.
About 20 years ago I had a complete write off of a HotShot 3.5 running a Cox/Sanwa AM radio, full tilt left turn into the stone shoreline. Toothpicks everywhere! Changed to a Futaba Magnum SPort, ran that until I tried the Spektrum, this is my second season with it.
LOL I've owned a grand total of 3 radios in over 25 years!

ron1950
05-25-2011, 01:46 PM
gas guys here in mississippi and louisanna all poo poo the spectrum....they all say they have seen guys with spectrum radio's have problems...i say when and its always a few years ago.....i asked if they ever tryed the marine recivers always get same answer,,NO.....i love my spectrum dx3r for my cars and dx3s for my boats...never in 6 years of oval car racing and boats have i ever had a problem with my spectrum radios at all......wish i had about 3 more mr3000 recivers is all i can say...when i put 800 dolllars in a boat i want to be able to trust the radio and that is exactly what i get from spectrum radio's i even put a spectrum decal on my tunnel boat and i dont usually put any free advertising on any of my stuff but i am sold on spectrum

properchopper
05-25-2011, 02:16 PM
OK, I'm going to climb into the barrel and expect to be used for target practice here, but I now use the FlySky GT3B 2.4 on all my boats. $ 35 for Tx/Rx & $4.70 for Rx's.
No problems to date. And my boats are pricey.

Had a Fasst antenna break inside of the mast & had a runaway into the bank. My fault I admit.

Flame suit on. I'm ready to learn.

AlanN
05-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Did anyone notice that there was nothing to protect the receiver from getting B slapped all over the radio box? I have killed a Fut 2.4 receiver or 2 in my gas boats by not protecting it from jolts. Putting foam around and under the receiver has solved this problem.

detox
05-25-2011, 03:25 PM
OK, I'm going to climb into the barrel and expect to be used for target practice here, but I now use the FlySky GT3B 2.4 on all my boats. $ 35 for Tx/Rx & $4.70 for Rx's.
No problems to date. And my boats are pricey.

Had a Fasst antenna break inside of the mast & had a runaway into the bank. My fault I admit.

Flame suit on. I'm ready to learn.

How many AA batteries does that radio require? My Tactic only requires four.

Flame suit on.

properchopper
05-25-2011, 04:09 PM
How many AA batteries does that radio require? My Tactic only requires four.

Flame suit on.

It takes 8 AA's. Because the screen autodims after about ten seconds it's hard to see if it's on or off. I've eaten three sets of AA's by not noticing that it was still on until I did the following :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jUfxgIZxsA

I also installed a 2200 mAh lipo for power :biggrin:

I'm waiting to see if the radio is "too good to be true" at that price. So far, so good !

Steven Vaccaro
05-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Did anyone notice that there was nothing to protect the receiver from getting B slapped all over the radio box? I have killed a Fut 2.4 receiver or 2 in my gas boats by not protecting it from jolts. Putting foam around and under the receiver has solved this problem.

Bingo. My buddy told him to do that a week before this happened.

don ferrette
05-25-2011, 04:38 PM
.. maybe it was the "Crash Investigation Team"I guess I missed this earlier, it was meant as a joke right? :huh:

don ferrette
05-25-2011, 04:41 PM
Bingo. My buddy told him to do that a week before this happened.Geeeez!!! I just thought it was on velcro or something. No RX is gonna like bouncing around getting the snot beat out of it no matter who makes it.
:doh:

Grimracer
05-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Don,

As you might or might not know I also fly planes and helis.. (helis mostly).. I know lots of things that go on.

Not sure the investigative team was a "Secret team" but at the end of the day..

When you drive or fly Futaba.. no investigative team is needed!.. and to me THAT IS” just one of MANY reason why I use Futaba!

Just so you know.. back in the day I was a sponsored Airtronics driver and this was back in the day of the introduction of Specs 2.4.. needless to say I stuck to Airtronics.. Then came change (I was still flying Futaba).. I was able to come back to my trusty Futaba for surface and have no intentions of looking else ware.

But the reality of it is I really want SAFE RC usage, be it there’s or ours.. its THEN that you have to ask your selves.. what’s it take to minimize the chances of a bad situation..

To me that’s Futaba!

Grim

detox
05-25-2011, 05:35 PM
Here is Futaba's latest offering.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAVSY&P=7

jingalls007
05-25-2011, 06:07 PM
I've never laughed so hard (at an RC Boat thread) as I did when I read this "flame suite on" lingo. "Flame suites" here in Denver usually refer to men wearing a$$less leather chaps sporting long swirly mustaches and biker vests that are cut about 5 inches too short. They usually have a pension for other men wearing their "flame suites." sorry to deviate but I really found this to be quite hilarious =)

On a more serious note, I have no complaints with my Futaba RX...

LiPo Power
05-25-2011, 06:37 PM
Tactic, Tactic here I come..... :w00t:

Here is Futaba's latest offering.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAVSY&P=7

raptor347
05-25-2011, 06:46 PM
I don't care what radio you use. If you don't do a proper installation (which includes protecting components from excessive vibration), you're going to have problems.

I can say that I had a runaway last season due to a bad switch. Gas outrigger ended up in a tree. Luckily that race site is in an old gravel quary, no chance of escape. Changed all the gas boats over to the big Futaba heavy duty switches, problem solved.

Steven Vaccaro
05-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Don,

As you might or might not know I also fly planes and helis.. (helis mostly).. I know lots of things that go on.

Not sure the investigative team was a "Secret team" but at the end of the day..

When you drive or fly Futaba.. no investigative team is needed!.. and to me THAT IS” just one of MANY reason why I use Futaba!

Just so you know.. back in the day I was a sponsored Airtronics driver and this was back in the day of the introduction of Specs 2.4.. needless to say I stuck to Airtronics.. Then came change (I was still flying Futaba).. I was able to come back to my trusty Futaba for surface and have no intentions of looking else ware.

But the reality of it is I really want SAFE RC usage, be it there’s or ours.. its THEN that you have to ask your selves.. what’s it take to minimize the chances of a bad situation..

To me that’s Futaba!

Grim

Grim you know I love ya bud, BUT posts like THAT is the exact reason I posted the failure.

detox
05-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Here's a review of the Hobby King and Tactic radio.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poByXMlqX1s

don ferrette
05-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Grim you know I love ya bud, BUT posts like THAT is the exact reason I posted the failure.And based on the pics and the fact you even warned the guy about the loose RX a week earlier smart money says it was the fault of the boater and NOT the radio.

.......and to add to that I'd feel the same regardless of what brand of radio was in it.

Grimracer
05-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Steven... not slamming my friend.... just taking what I know and have experienced and applying it to the conversation.

And

Im DIE HARD CHEVY TO THE END!.. OK AMC too!..:laugh:

I might be wrong.but . Competition is GOOD and healthy for our hobby and our spirit.

And I have LOST WAY MORE races then i have ever won and ever WILL WIN.. .. just part of the drive for the passion..

Take care brother Steve and please.. dont take the radio stuff to much to heart.. we play.. but we play HARD!

Grim

JimClark
05-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Grim just wondering is there any relationship between AQ and Futaba or are they totally separate companies?. You are definitely sponsored by Futaba Correct?

Doug Smock
05-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Just say no Doug!!

Thanks.....................................

Your welcome guys! lol

ron1950
05-25-2011, 09:47 PM
to me if u work for spectrum or horrizon or futaba or are sponsored by either your opinion doesent count. money talks.....so it boils down to what do u like? i am sure either are fine...i just like spectrum ...had to get that in there lol

don ferrette
05-25-2011, 10:17 PM
to me if u work for spectrum or horrizon or futaba or are sponsored by either your opinion doesent count. money talks.....so it boils down to what do u like? i am sure either are fine...i just like spectrum ...had to get that in there lol
Really?

So I guess that means Steve's comments about anything he sells in the OSE store don't count either. :w00t:

I just joined the Futaba Marine Team this year but I'm sure that running Futaba radios for like 15 years had absolutely nothing to do with it...... :olleyes:

Money? What money?? :bounce:

JimClark
05-25-2011, 10:33 PM
Don probably not as Steve sells both brands

ron1950
05-25-2011, 10:43 PM
ya so there lol

Steven Vaccaro
05-25-2011, 11:08 PM
Sure he should have used some foam, but in the end We are guessing at reasons for failure. The switch and battery was fine, the radio was working when they picked up the boat.

In the end we are all biased for some reason. Sure I'm biased towards Spektrum. I tend to push what I use personally. Between my boys and I, we have well over 30 rx's and 4 rx's. All have served me well.

don ferrette
05-25-2011, 11:45 PM
Sure he should have used some foam, but in the end We are guessing at reasons for failure. The switch and battery was fine, the radio was working when they picked up the boat.

In the end we are all biased for some reason. Sure I'm biased towards Spektrum. I tend to push what I use personally. Between my boys and I, we have well over 30 rx's and 4 rx's. All have served me well.Yup just like you guessed when you gave this thread it's title. I'll still put my money on either the switch or the RX getting beat around like a ping pong ball, to leave one free like that is just plain stupid. And I'll tell you know most times over the years when I've seen a switch turn out to be the source for mystery radio issues it still "worked fine" when the problems first showed up. And how do you know the battery was "fine" did anyone load test it right after the crash??

My choice of radio gear is based on many years of superb service and that speaks louder than anything to me. Becoming a member of Team Futaba was just icing on the cake.

You guys have a great evening, it's way past my bedtime.

ron1950
05-26-2011, 12:43 AM
My choice of radio gear is based on many years of superb service and that speaks louder than anything to me. Becoming a member of Team Futaba was just icing on the cake

many years of futaba service ...sounds as if u broke a bunch of em lol had to say it ......now lets get on doug for his 60amp non spec esc's in the regieon this can go on all week lol

Darin Jordan
05-26-2011, 01:04 AM

Ron... that really is a silly thing to say. Very few people have as much experience with the product as those that have been using it since before most of you could.

This bias towards "sponsored drivers" is really getting out of hand.

If you read my deal with Horizon, you'll find that the main point is to have racers in different areas of the country who can be there to help, provide advice, and put the products on display so people will know they are out there.

All you have EVER seen, or will see me do is provide introductary information, and provide follow-up help as much as possible. Hell, I've even gone so far as to drive across town and trade my PERSONAL TX to a racer who had broken his. THAT is why we are supported by these manufacturers, or at least that's what is expected of me from Team Horizon and Spektrum. It's a good thing for the hobby, if it's not abused.

ray schrauwen
05-26-2011, 02:16 AM
It takes 8 AA's. Because the screen autodims after about ten seconds it's hard to see if it's on or off. I've eaten three sets of AA's by not noticing that it was still on until I did the following :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jUfxgIZxsA

I also installed a 2200 mAh lipo for power :biggrin:

I'm waiting to see if the radio is "too good to be true" at that price. So far, so good !

How did you do it sir?

I see guys that always have wet boats, always have some failures. Replace your switches every year and have allot less headaches.

graill
05-26-2011, 06:36 AM

Andy

After reading your claims Andy i hunted down a Spectrum rep, I was told oven claim isnt accurate and spectrum could not tell me where that source was from. Also any electronics tested by heating up and then cooling off to see if it works is missing the point of the heat test in the first place as it needs to be operating at your stated "oven temp" and have no problems many cycles and hundreds of hours before they can claim heat does not affect them.

Who in spectrum provided you with the white paper on those tests? I tossed your name around stating you are on their design team and got nothing, them not knowing who you were, maybe i had some newguy or there is another facility. :confused2:

And for the record i have both Futaba and Spectrum, though i prefer Fubies, both have had minor failures or glitches, though nothing serious and its to be expected.

Too many things can go wrong for anyone to agree on, on either side.

An observation by me to throw into the discussion,
We also have the folks working for or representing these products pushing them to the hobbiest stating one is better than the other in order to sell them, both sides biased toward the other, even had one guy representing his brand, pushing his sponors products stating he wasnt pushing them after i asked a question he could not answer, not sure if he was ashamed or not. We as consumers will pick through the hype of sponsors and sellers and choose what we want, most of us anyway.:smile:

Personally i have zero problems with either sides products and will continue to buy them as needed as both have served me well......of course there is me and the flying thing, those recievers just cannot take ground impacts......(grin)

Steven Vaccaro
05-26-2011, 06:43 AM
Yup just like you guessed when you gave this thread it's title. I'll still put my money on either the switch or the RX getting beat around like a ping pong ball, to leave one free like that is just plain stupid. And I'll tell you know most times over the years when I've seen a switch turn out to be the source for mystery radio issues it still "worked fine" when the problems first showed up. And how do you know the battery was "fine" did anyone load test it right after the crash??

My choice of radio gear is based on many years of superb service and that speaks louder than anything to me. Becoming a member of Team Futaba was just icing on the cake.

You guys have a great evening, it's way past my bedtime.

Don its not bouncing around. It was in these with velcro. They tested it with some Hobbico rx meter.

graill
05-26-2011, 06:53 AM
Hmm how did that double post?, meh.

ron1950
05-26-2011, 06:57 AM
darin your paranoia about everyone is out to get sponsored drivers is the only thing that is getting out of hand , i stand by my statemeni that if u are sponsored by one product u sure arent going to say the other guys stuff is better! get over it dude, think about it. i am sure your next post to me will be condasending like always......

sailr
05-26-2011, 08:11 AM
Glad I don't sell radios anymore! We tested the chinese radios that some are now raving about and they were complete duds. Back and forth to the factory several times for replacement receivers, transmitters, modules, you name it and they never worked. We passed on the radios to say the least. Well now they appear to have worked the bugs out but our cost is the SAME, not including shipping, as HK sells them for. Why bother.

I personally use Tactic and airtronics. I like the tactic because it doesn't require an external antenna on the boat. I've had great luck with these.

Doug Smock
05-26-2011, 08:41 AM
Ron... that really is a silly thing to say. Very few people have as much experience with the product as those that have been using it since before most of you could.

This bias towards "sponsored drivers" is really getting out of hand.

If you read my deal with Horizon, you'll find that the main point is to have racers in different areas of the country who can be there to help, provide advice, and put the products on display so people will know they are out there.

All you have EVER seen, or will see me do is provide introductary information, and provide follow-up help as much as possible. Hell, I've even gone so far as to drive across town and trade my PERSONAL TX to a racer who had broken his. THAT is why we are supported by these manufacturers, or at least that's what is expected of me from Team Horizon and Spektrum. It's a good thing for the hobby, if it's not abused.

I've got to vouch for Darin here. I was having a servo issue and he was involved personally in getting it resolved.
That certainly beat the "throw a towel over it" even though it was in the shade crap I got from the other brand. No need in going into it guys, I'm no longer listening.
I still use both because I have them but if I had to choose I'd go with the service as always.
Got carbon fiber?? Better ask some questions................
Doug

don ferrette
05-26-2011, 09:05 AM
"you'll find that the main point is to have racers in different areas of the country who can be there to help, provide advice, and put the products on display so people will know they are out there."

Thanks Darin for saying that as that is what "team guys" are supposed to do. It's the main focal point for Futaba team as well and I'm glad to say I was able to do the same for others from loaning a part to helping program a radio. It doesn't matter if it's JR, Futaba or Spektrum, when the smoke clears and dust settles they're still toys.

Grimracer
05-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Grim just wondering is there any relationship between AQ and Futaba or are they totally separate companies?. You are definitely sponsored by Futaba Correct?

Jim,

There is.

Futaba is imported by Hobbico and AquaCraft is owned by Hobbico. To learn more about Hobbico you can go here. Just so you know.. some of the companies Hobbico created (like AquaCraft) to fill the need in the market.. I think AquaCraft was formed in or around 2001 or so.
http://www.hobbico.com/

To learn more about the companies we either are exclusive importers for or own.. go here.. Bestrc gives you a good indication of the stuff we are personally responsible for.
http://www.bestrc.com/

Then as you know there is our retail outlet.. Tower Hobbies.
http://www.towerhobbies.com/

And the last part of your question.. yes.. I am a Sponsored Futaba Driver, proudly!. Truth is I drive for OS as well.. (Again a company or brand if you will that we import).. and I drive for our new AquaCraft Power Team. (A team I helped develop and has been a lot of fun to do).. it includes some of the nicest dudes in RC boating.

Robert Holland
Brian Buaas
Michael Ball
Mikey Schindler
Steven Enneper
Dougge Twaits

I would also like to say.. If you think its easy getting on team Futaba marine just ask Don.. or Jerry or Ron or whomever. ALSO: IF” you like to write up race reports Team Futaba might be for you.. CUZ I LIKE TO WORK YA.. Being a member of team Futaba means you get nothing (so to speak) for free! If you don’t provide input back from your events your not doing your part of the deal.. its really not all fun and games.

Most have NO IDEA what its takes to be a member of a RC team.

In anycase… Thanks for asking Jim

Grim

Darin Jordan
05-26-2011, 09:31 AM
darin your paranoia about everyone is out to get sponsored drivers is the only thing that is getting out of hand , .... get over it dude, think about it. i am sure your next post to me will be condasending like always......

Another "winning" post as always, Ron. You must be a riot over a cup of coffee... Would be great if you'd shy away from putting your own twist on everyone's words, however, and trying to assign meanings and attitudes to them that simply aren't there. You really aren't that good at it.

And, in case you aren't clear on it's meaning... in order to "condescend", one must feel they are somehow more elevated than those they are "consescending" to... If you think that's me, and you apparently do, then you can't possibly know me, which you obviously don't. How about sticking to the topics from now on, and keeping your personal BS with me out of it.

As for your assumption:

i stand by my statemeni that if u are sponsored by one product u sure arent going to say the other guys stuff is better!

In case you haven't noticed (hint: you haven't), I have NEVER said that ANY of these products is better than the other. I don't feel it's my place, not having used all of them. I have, and will continue to, discuss the strengths and highlight the features of those products I know of, or have personal experience with (hell, I've even talked about some of the weaknesses of them, and tried to show how to correct them, i.e. MG sponsons and rudder, Stiletto radio box, cable/wire seals, etc.), but you will NOT find me saying that one is better than the other. That's for you guys, and hopefully the race results, to decide. The one caviat to this would be in a case where I've actually been whitness, or have data in my hands, that shows a clear difference, but again, in that case, the results would speak for themselves.

sailr
05-26-2011, 10:02 AM
:popcorn2::popcorn2:

tiqueman
05-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Wow, this thread went crazy. :laugh: I saw it coming though. I forget who said it, I think it was on pg 2 somewhere, no matter what you use, at some point, your going to experience an issue. It may be the rx or tx or it may be human error. It happens. Nothing, especially electronics near water, is perfect.

I had met a guy a few years back that was a team guy and he also said that it was a lot of work and did not get a lot out of it as some expect. It wasnt the highlife, free gear etc, it was a lot of work, a lot of testing products, etc etc. Yes some of us have multiple years of experience w/ radios, ie, Ive been running Futaba for... gosh, a long time... 20 yrs or something, BUT, I do not know all thier radios, I do not know what the latest and greatest is, Ive owned a handful of thier radios over those years from AM, to FM, to 2.4. I personally feel it IS a good idea to have the "team" people chime in, yes, they are going to be 100% for thier product at all times, BUT, they are also going to help, as Don has, to make an honest effort to resolve the issue, provide info as to what could have happen and what the true failure was etc etc. Ive had radio failures in gas boats, none of which ended in any major losses, some bumping and bruising and thats about it. ALL of those issues involved corrosion or connections just wearing out. A friend of mine has and has had a Hi-tec radio in his gasser for over 10 years. First time out he lost signal and his boat did circles for about 15 minutes before it finally hit a dock piling, straightened out and ran up on the shoreline just down from where we were. Radio a POS, no, he installed the rx upsidedown on the box lid thinking it would help keep moisture out, instead, it vibrated the crystal out. :doh: Just saying this because lets face it, most of the time, things go wrong because of "us" not because product A, B or C is a garbage product. Ive been fortunate enough to go thru a lot of the changes w/ controllers and the way AM was at times, you might as well start a gasser, manually pull and jam the throttle wide open, disconnect the steering servo and let it go because it often felt like thats about all the control you have. I give my thanks to ALL manufactureres for what theyve done for the hobby. Its come a long way in what seems like a short time. Remember when we used to have to turn in our radios as we entered the races, and then put a paper clip on our antennas w/ our frequancy number? And you couldnt test anything because your radio was being held hostage????? :eek:

The whole point of this thread from Mr V. was to show that people can have an issue running Futaba as well and its not "just a Spektrum thing." Be it Futaba equipment issues or poor installation, either way the guy lost his boat and that sux. I hope he gets it resolved as to what happen and if it was human error, is sure to keep it from happening again.
Now I gotta go get some work done so I can go use my Futairtactrum radio later this afternoon. :Peace_Sign:

detox
05-26-2011, 10:07 AM
I hear Airtronix has a new radio with telemetry (motor temp, rpm's, receiver voltage). Does Spektrum or Futaba offer telemetry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crY7y0iNkvY

Grimracer
05-26-2011, 10:15 AM
Spec does and Futaba does not..

Dude.. is that boat in your avatar on a stove... Thats HOT!.. Sorry a realy bad joke gone very wrong! :Sinking:

Grim

Steven Vaccaro
05-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Time to lay this one to bed