PDA

View Full Version : Shockwave 26BL Vs. Fastech?

wagerja
05-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Ok here's the deal. I'm relatively new to RC boating... mostly planes til now.

I have a BJ26 BL, LOVE IT. a pair of BL modified Mini-Vs, and I'm building a BL NQD Tear Into, but I sometimes would like to run a boat down at the marina on a large near by river. The water conditions there are rough, wind blown chop and boat wakes most of the time. BJ+Waves= NO FUN. So I'm looking to get a Deep-V hull boat.

I know bigger would be better but considering my cost limitations a 24" to 33" boat is going to have to work. Not much more then $300, less would be better.

I would buy this boat if I could ever find it in stock.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=13768

So I've kinda narrowed it down to SW BL or the Fastech, unless someone here has a better idea. I ruled out the SV27R based on the fact that it's ~$300 boat that I will have to buy a new ESC for right out of the box because I only use Lipos. They really should have a Lipo capable ESC, at least as an option.

SW 26 BL
Pro: uses one Batt of a type and size I use and have. = more runs before recharging.
Has a well sealed hull=no hatch tape. (One of the only things don't like about RC boating is messing with hatch tape)
Lower cost

Con: Stearable outdrive (why oh why does PB still do this)
Touchy ESC that has been know to blow when "thinking about" changing the prop.
Flat ride pad that will limit handling and stability at top speed if modified.

Fastech
Pro: uses the Batts I have for the BJ
Proper strut and Rudder Hardware
Uses the same 642 prop as the BJ
Potential to be very fast

Con: higher price
Uses two Batts = more charging at the marina which can be a pain.
Hatch tape!
Delicate trim and wind screen that may take a beating jumping wakes.

I’m leaning towards the SW at this point but welcome Any and all input.

yellowbird
05-20-2011, 09:38 PM
I have the original SW26 which I have since converted to brushless. I would suggest the SW26 because:

- It's $80 cheaper (could buy a spare Hobbywing 60A ESC and still have change!)
- Hull designs are almost identical but latest SW has a bit more of a V hull - the Fastech is also a flat hull design in the center section if you look closely at the PB gallery
- Hull less likely to be damaged if minor bumps as ABS
- Comes with stainless metal prop already
- almost as fast as Fastech
- simpler hatch shape is less easy to damage/ less fragile and easier to tape down (still strongly recommended, especially in chop & waves!)
- pivoting turn fins (?) - less likely to damage hull if you hit something

Mine goes great in the chop at the local (great) lake beach and jumps nicely.

- yellow-bird

Diesel6401
05-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Neither. You want to handle waves, gotta go bigger. I would suggest a Pursuit from Kintec. He's out of the plan color hulls right now but shoot him a email at kintecracing@msn.com and ask him when he expects the solid color pursuits in there more at your budget range or you could swing for the airbrushed version http://kintecracing.com/Pursuit.html.

Keeping more in your budget a Prince looks way better, fiberglass and will out handle a sw anyday of the week, plus the sw have a terrible esc. Spring for the turnigy 1800kv upgrade 3/16 version and have a real winner. http://kintecracing.com/Prince_Upgrades.html

JMHO

wagerja
05-22-2011, 10:52 AM
hum...

I have the Pursuit on my wish list a HK...

but both of those look like shallower Vees, will it still handle the bashing from wake waves?

Diesel6401
05-24-2011, 04:17 PM
hum...

I have the Pursuit on my wish list a HK...

but both of those look like shallower Vees, will it still handle the bashing from wake waves?

The pursuit is the best handling v I have owned to date. It's a replica of the delta force 33. Most call them copies or clones (apparently delta force doesn't like that though) so I will say replica :olleyes: anyways there the ish! JMHO plus I hate the way the fastech looks and the sw26bl with the steerable outdrive :thumbsdown:

Don't get the HK version, yes it's the same hull but Jan at kintec has his laid out perfect without needing to change the motor/esc/flexcable like on the HK version and you will get it in 3-5 days not like 2 months from HK lol. Prop swap and done, you will need a servo and radio for both though.

Here's my pursuit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az0zIeJiZJA&feature=channel_video_title

wagerja
05-25-2011, 09:56 AM
sweet Vid! :rockon2:

do you remember how much the white Pursuit was at kintec? I don't see a price cus it's out of stock.

HK has them in-stock ATM just wanted to compare prices and shipping time before pulling the trigger.

thanks

J

wagerja
05-25-2011, 09:58 AM
oh just saw the last two lines of your last post... no HK, got it.

rc2266
05-25-2011, 10:48 AM
BY the way, is ALWAYS good idea to tape hatch on any boat, already had to replace hatch from flying off during violent crash (but was fun) on my shockwave

Diesel6401
05-25-2011, 12:05 PM
oh just saw the last two lines of your last post... no HK, got it.

You can get it, just know that you will have to change everything out for it to run to it's potential.

I think Jan had it at around $330 shipped. Off the top of my head I think that is a close guess.

If you want it now and go the HK route here's what you will need.

Motor: Leopard 4074 2200kv
ESC: Seaking 180
Batts: 4s2p
Prop: m645
Drive: .187 3/16 flex cable.

That's was my setup in the video. I would recommend everything but the prop and batts, can vary. With a small enough prop you can run a 4s setup, but once again to push the hull a bigger prop and 2p setup would be a must.

dana
05-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Yes the pursuit is sweet, but that sucker will eat batteries up lol. After batteries and boat it's way about his 300 budget.

wagerja
05-25-2011, 12:36 PM
yeah it's sweet but maybe outside of what I'm looking for right now, with the mods.

I don't need or want to spend the money to have a +50mph Mono. a solid 35-40mph would be awesome and 30-35mph ok.

how would the stock Pursuit do on a 642 and (2) 2s 5000mah 40c batteries in series from my BJ set-up?