PDA

View Full Version : New BJ & have 2 questions

RTaylor
02-03-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm totally a newbe. The ponds are still frozen in Kansas so all I can do is try to get ready for the spring thaw. First I have been reading about props. It seems the best one for the BJ BL is the x642, but isn't this a 3/16 Diameter instead of a 1/8. I am not totally sure of the shaft size, what is it and what are the sizes of those two props?
Next my programming module speaks of the 2,4,6 pole inrunner motors. I have found no documentation as to how many poles the A3630-1500 motor has and don't know how to program the timing. Any help would be appreciated.

obrien
02-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Yes the 642 has a 3/16th shaft diameter, but you can get a shim that will allow you to run that prop on the stock 1/8th shaft.

I am not sure on the number of poles in the motor. I want to say it is 6 but I am not 100% sure.

RTaylor
02-03-2008, 05:32 PM
So how are the rest of you gentlement programing the Timing? Are you using High or Low? I have purchased 5000 mah Venom lipo Batteries.

miles
02-03-2008, 09:38 PM
I called the shop where i bought mine and they had said a 6 pole as i was wondering how to setup the esc. So im pretty sure Obrien was spot on. did you have problems programming your esc? mine seems to be finicky. tried to program it at the lake after a 12 cell run to try my orion 4800 lipos and it would turn the rudder but no power to the prop so i took it home and it took me like 4 trys to get it to work. Does turning off the esc on/off switch set that ecs back to stock? i read that somewhere about some esc's.

RTaylor
02-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Turning the esc off does not reset according to all that I have read. I did have the same problem with the rudder working but not the motor. By accident I discovered that you had to disconnect the batteries after programming the esc before you could operate the motor. Turning off the switch wasn't enough. Do you have your timing set to high or low?

obrien
02-03-2008, 11:00 PM
I never ran my timing on the stock motor esc set up on high. You don't have to use the programming card to adjust the settings on the esc, but you do need it if you want to run lipos.

Apples1
02-05-2008, 12:01 AM
so you can change the timing on the motor without the programing module????

if so has anyone tried this? how did it go?

miles
02-05-2008, 02:48 AM
RTaylor I only ran with the stock settings so far and ran it on 2-6cell 4600 trinity packs with no problems other than really warm batteries. The ESC and motor were completely cool. I couldn't get the ESC to work for lipo at the lake so instead of risking damage on 2 orion 4800 lipos i waited to figure it out when i knew i'd be more patient(not in a rush to run it).