PDA

View Full Version : high wind

saleens7
04-22-2007, 09:49 PM
well, the boat i WAS going to use as a rescue boat turned out to be pretty fast, so im going to just use it as a fun run boat now....

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k87/saleens7_01/DSC00084-3.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k87/saleens7_01/DSC00089-1.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k87/saleens7_01/DSC00088-1.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k87/saleens7_01/DSC00087-2.jpg
(motor and esc before i put it in the boat)
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k87/saleens7_01/motor.jpg

it goes pretty fast for a setup derived from things i had sitting at home, maybe low to mid 10's and im going to upgrade to a speed 600 and maybe get closer to 20mph....

its a plane 600 motor (its actually meant for clockwise rotation, but runs fine CCW) and a 21$ esc....im using a venom 3600mah pack that i had sitting around since summer and it still works fine..running gear was bought from my LHS (meant for a hammer, but works great for this application...)

steven, whats the KV of the speed 600 (7.2V version)?

saleens7
04-23-2007, 08:16 PM
well, i did some reaserch and found that the 600 motor i was using was barely getting close to 10,000rpms.....so i stole the motor from my tigerdrive starter for my SW36 (i think its a 540 type motor, its the same diameter as the 600, but a shorter can length)...anyway, i could tell it got way more rpms and i took it out to the lake and i gained about 4-5mph so im guessing im either at least doing 15mph now....still considerably fast knowing that this setup was made from stuff just lying around....

only problems now are it bounces quite a bit (put some weights on the front of it and will test tomorrow, its too dark today), the motor gets really hot (hot enough that i cant hold my finger on it for 5 seconds), and the shaft vibrates even worse, that cheap coupler that came with it (when set screw is tightened) puts the shaft out at and angle and not strait....im thinking of buying a flex coupler....

im thinking of getting that speed 600 motor too, and seeing if i can make some custom cooling using some silicone tubing..im also thinking of converting it to surface drive, but the prop i had for it is meant for sub-surface....i also want to keep this build cheap so i dont have to cut into my SW36 funds....

hammertime
04-23-2007, 08:21 PM
the 600 motor is good but the endbell is plastic which breaks under pressure..... i would use thw titan motor here great motor a lot of torque fan cooled and can handle more cells.... just a suggestion..... my hammer does mid 20s on 8 cells

saleens7
04-23-2007, 08:25 PM
ok, sounds good....

if i use any more cells, im going to have to get a new esc...

it will also need to be 20+ turns to be compatable with mu esc too...

saleens7
04-23-2007, 08:27 PM
just checked out the titan, it says its meant for 14 volts....im only running 7.2 volts....or does it say that because it is meant for the villain (wich runs on a 14V setup)??

anyone know the KV of this motor?

hammertime
04-23-2007, 08:30 PM
it can handle up to 14v 7.2 volts is fine and it will run cool...... not sure of the kv but its a 23 turn motor.... its a great motor for the price

saleens7
04-23-2007, 08:32 PM
does the # of turns determine the rpm per volt? if so, how would you figure this out?

hammertime
04-23-2007, 08:37 PM
that im not sure.... i know the lower the turns the more rpm but less torque....also the higher the winds the less torgue....this motor is 23t single wind...... for a subserface setup its great--even better on surface.... not sure how to figure out the kv though sry

saleens7
04-23-2007, 08:46 PM
im getting a little interference with my motor and Rx and i dont have capacitors, can i make some from extra wire or does it need to have capacitors? (i think its about 14 gauge wire)

saleens7
04-24-2007, 05:36 PM
i tested the high wind once more today with the weights added, still bounces....the shaft vibrates even worse now...and i compared the WOT rpm (judging by sound, the shaft hits the tube every rotation, so its basically like comparing a nitro or gas motor rpm by sound) and the rpm is considerably less on water, so i think im overproping or overloading the engine (another reason for the heat)....

i think im just going to convert it to a rescue boat now, i really dont want to spend any more $ on it and i might be finishing the SW36 soon (as in a month):( buts thats some good progress considering how "fast" my progress has been with it so far...

saleens7
05-02-2007, 04:58 PM
well....dispite my words in the last post, i couldnt just let the hull sit there...

im using the same motor w/ a surface drive setup....i hope it runs better....the motor has a lot of rpms to spare, but the sub surface setup i used to have on it didnt let it open up as much as this will...

saleens7
05-02-2007, 08:47 PM
i tested it in my pool without rudder, just motor/batt/esc/ and prop and it runs ok...not enough room to fully speed up, but i can tell its a bit faster than the sub-surface setup....

the shaft vibrates way too much with that came with it...i actually broke the motor loose from the mount and freed the stuffing tube from the epoxy holding it in...i need to use a flex coupler on this before something else happens....ill run it in my pool again with the rudder and see if i cant get a quick vid too...

saleens7
05-02-2007, 09:51 PM
tested it...it runs ok w/ the surface drive...not as fast though...and the motor still broke loose from the mounts...i think im just goind to scrap the hull, nothing i ever set it up with lasted longer that a few days before it started to have problems...

saleens7
05-03-2007, 09:39 PM
good news, i fixed it up, and it works great....runs faster than the old setup did..the radio did have a bit of interference (wrapped it in tin foil and gained about 10 feet before interference began again...ill be working a lot tomorrow....ill glue the two peices of the hull back together, solder up some stuff...ill also be ordering a flex coupler, motor mount (well, this time, the mount didnt come loose from the motor....but it did come loose from the hull), connectors, and some of those capacitors, as i beleive that they are also a cause to the radio problems...

Rex R
05-04-2007, 01:27 AM
well if you can get the vibration out of the driveline, that may cut down a smidge on the interference. noise suppressors (motor caps) should do a lot.

saleens7
05-04-2007, 05:59 AM
motor caps?

are those capacitors?

i think another reason why it didnt have good range was because i was running it without the deck on and the antenna didnt have a tube that it could go striat up through, but it was just lying over the side of the boat..

Rex R
05-04-2007, 12:14 PM
right motor caps/condensers > capacitors. heh, I suspect you're right bout the antenna :).

saleens7
05-04-2007, 02:53 PM
what prop would work with this setup?

i found out that ill need to buy a 4mm prop shaft becasue the one i have doesent work with the coupler...it will need to be one of those 4mm threaded props, but i dont know what prop will work....

the one i have seems to be around 34-36mm diameter, but it has barely any pitch compared to the 40mm prop i have for my SW36....i dont want to overprop or underprop, but i done want to buy more than one prop...i might be able to get two if im lucky, but thats it...

any suggestions?

EDIT: also the motor im running looks to be an 05 or 540 or some other 500 size motor..

saleens7
05-04-2007, 05:03 PM
anoyone know what prop i should use?

its looks like either an 05, 540, 550, or some other type of 500 motor...i need to know what prop will be good with it..soon too, ill be ordering stuff soon and im going to need to now atleast a rough estimate of what props ill need

ED66677
05-04-2007, 05:07 PM
for the Speed600 7.2V, KV must be around 2520.

saleens7
05-04-2007, 05:14 PM
i dont have the speed 600, its some 500 size motor i pulled from my tiger drive nitro engine starter....

i was going to get the speed 600 though, but i decided to later change to a titan motor...not right now though, i still need to know what prop for the 500 motor, and soon...atleast an estimate...

ED66677
05-04-2007, 05:25 PM
I think you need to get a K31 or K33, the 600 7.2V is turning a K36 (see Graupner Prop. group 601) I think the K26 or K29 are for Speed480
I've used a Speed600 Race 9.6V @ 10.8V with watercooling, turning a K36, then gets a bit warm with a K37.5 and hot with a K39

saleens7
05-04-2007, 05:30 PM
thanks...but a bit too late, my father already ordered and he didnt have time to get the props...ill have to wait till later....so now ill have everthing ready to go except the prop....

ill get the 31mm and 33mm threaded 4mm shaft props..

saleens7
05-04-2007, 05:42 PM
anyone know what the KV of the traxxxas titan motor is?

isnt not on the motors specs chart...

SJFE
05-04-2007, 07:59 PM
That motors brushed. You would go by turns more than a kv rating. I think it's around 20 turns.

saleens7
05-04-2007, 08:17 PM
how would you find rpms by turns?

is there a certian rpm per turn rating?

RMZDADDY
05-05-2007, 12:32 AM
Traxxas doesn't provide rpm ratings for the Titan motors. The marine titan is a 23 turn. Since it is intended to run on 14.4v in the Villain ex, I don't know if you'd get adequate rpm's on 6 cells. The 12 turn Titan for the Stampede or Rustler is intended to run on 6 or 7 cells and might be a better choice in this case. I think they are around $23.00. BTW, if you're interested, I have a Trinity monster big block 10 turn 550 I don't have any plans for, according to Trinity it will run on 7.2-14.4v. If you'd like to have it for testing I'd let you have it for free. Just realized that you previously stated your esc need 20 turn or higher, my mistake!

saleens7
05-05-2007, 12:53 AM
i would think the titan motor would work, the traxxas runs on 12 cells, but theres 2 motors, so that makes me think that it really just uses 7.2V per motor....

im probably going to keep the boat like this....no point in spending too much $ on it...i still have the SW36 build to work on..

RMZDADDY
05-05-2007, 12:57 AM
Actually, The titans do get 14.4v in the villain ex, they are wired in parallel, not series, but they will run on 7.2, just at lower rpm's.

saleens7
05-05-2007, 01:00 AM
oh....ok, then that wont work....i think ill just stick with the current motor....why waste all the time and $ on this hull when i should be on the SW36...hmmm...only a couple hundred $'s away from being able to get the charger, power source, batts, radio system, and other stuff...

SJFE
05-05-2007, 07:28 AM
What are you doing with that drifter hull?:rolleyes:

saleens7
05-05-2007, 10:01 AM
twin feigao 8XL's on hydra 120amp esc on both and 24 cells (12 cells per motor)

saleens7
05-09-2007, 03:59 PM
i received the motor mount, props, coupler, drive shaft, and capacitors today (thanks for the quick shipping and stickers steven!). I already epoxyed in the mount and am waiting for it to dry. ill try to finish it by tonight and may even run it if it isnt too dark out....

saleens7
05-09-2007, 05:49 PM
im almost done...all i need to do is "fiberglass" (peices of some old t-shirt soaked in epoxy) the stuffing tube in place, silicone the RX and esc in place, find a good place to mount eh battery, and CA the two peices of the hull together and seal it with silicone....only problem is i have no cowl...i guess ill need flotation too..)

saleens7
05-09-2007, 07:12 PM
i took it out to run....it takes a while to get on plane, but when it does, it does (i wonder if there are props that have less pitch somewhere on this site?) i can tell the problem is too much pitch on the props.....if i had a way to make a 4mm shaft a 2mm, i could run the origional prop and it would go faster and get on plane quickly (i tried to run it once with the origional prop just before i switched out to the new setup and it works good)....but when it gets on plane, it goes protty fast...its heavy for a 6 cell, so that may be why it takes so long....so steven, do you have any 4mm shaft props that have less pitch?

saleens7
05-09-2007, 07:13 PM
oh, i could switch it back to sub surface drive, it works good like that...the the props im using now actualy dont do too bad as a sub-surface drive either (when it first takes off, the prop is underwater, and it has a lot of tourque like that too...

saleens7
05-09-2007, 07:23 PM
i though it over and decided that ill just use a sub-surface setup...i might as well see how it performs....plus i would have to do and work to the motor mount

saleens7
05-09-2007, 07:50 PM
things arent looking too good for this build.....i cant change it to subsurface drive anymore...when trying to get the shaft out it bent (pretty bad too), so now it wont work...the stuffing tube is bent too.....i just spent about 60$ worth of parts for something that wont work now...i dont think ill finish this boat anymore....ill just start to work on the SW36 conversion again....if i am ever going to make a cheap fun-run type boat to use when im working on my projects, ill see if i cant set up a oval master 26 with a 700SC and a cheap esc and batts....the high wind hull is just too heavy..probably has about 1/2 a pound of epoxy in it....most of which doesent really do much....i would have needed a bigger motor and more batts anyway if i was going to have a good running hull....ill see if i cant salvage the motor mount though, i will come in handy if i ever need it...same with the coupler....actually, the only thing i cant use anymore is the drive shaft, so i guess something comes out of all this.......