PDA

View Full Version : Spektrum DX2S Range

jamie
05-14-2011, 07:39 AM
Was wondering if around 120 Metres was an ok range for this unit. I installed it on my UL1 last week with the receiver touching the flat part of the lid and the SR3300T receiver antenna wire locating into a 6 inch antenna. It's frustrating because the range so far is worse than the stock Tactic unit and im trying to test for a saw event coming up, so would like a 50 to 60 metre runup to the starting marker. What am i doing wrong :cursing: Thanks in advance.

siberianhusky
05-14-2011, 07:57 AM
Hmm, I use the SR3300t for set ups and get more range than that for sure, Old habits die hard so I mount the RX as far from anything else electric as I can and try to keep battery and motor leads away from it. I started out in the AM radio days where it was common to have strange radio issues.
Does your ESC have the iron donut on the RX wires? It's called a torriod, it stops interference from the esc switching.
Also don't point the transmitter antennae right at the model, keep it angled off to one side, the antennae has the lowest output right from the tip. I usually point mine up in the air so I don't point it at the boat at any point around the course.
For water use I'd highly suggest getting a mr200 or 300 twin antennae marine rx, about 50$ and worth it.
I find the temp sensor to be about the only useful thing in the telemetry, once I've got a boat set up though I don't worry about it too much though and use the marine RX.
If you want use full data for tuning get an eagletree data logger, they tell you what you really need to know.

Igoreski
05-14-2011, 09:44 AM
I tried that Rx too and the range is no where near the MR 3000 which I can get so far away the boat is hard to see.This Rx is also waterproof and you do not have to bag it.The 2 antenna set up must be the difference one is 8" and the other is 14".The long antenna runs straight up my 8" antenna tube and the short one runs the direction of the hull forming a L shape.Since you already have the radio you might as well get the Rx and save the 3300T for a car or truck that you need to monitor motor temp and battery V,those 2 features works very well on that Rx.The RPM sensor is a joke and seems to work only on the bench where conditions are ideal.

Darin Jordan
05-14-2011, 09:45 AM
The Spektrum S-Series receivers, designed for cars and trucks, are not ideal for boats. I've been able to successfully used the SR3100 in several boats without issue, but many people have not had such good luck.

If you are running boats, you should be running the MR-series RXs (MR3000 or MR200). The marine series uses a different protocol than the surface series, and has a MUCH longer range (out of eyeshot, in most cases.)

Igoreski
05-14-2011, 10:16 AM
The Spektrum S-Series receivers, designed for cars and trucks, are not ideal for boats. I've been able to successfully used the SR3100 in several boats without issue, but many people have not had such good luck.

If you are running boats, you should be running the MR-series RXs (MR3000 or MR200). The marine series uses a different protocol than the surface series, and has a MUCH longer range (out of eyeshot, in most cases.)

Have you ever been able to get the RPM sensor to work correctly,if so please share info.I also tried to make an Eagle tree brushless RPM sensor work with the SR3100T with no luck.[ I know it was a long shot but I had to try it. ]

siberianhusky
05-14-2011, 10:54 AM
It may be to dark in the hull for it to "see" the sticker on the collet or whatever.
I've never bothered in a boat, it logs your peak rpm which happens when the prop leaves the water, and I can't look at the radio for long enough at speed to see the tach, suppose you could get somebody looking over your shoulder.
I just stick the temp sensor of the caps of the esc when I'm testing then change to a marine esc.
It might also not have a high enough sample rate to pick up the rotation of something with that small a diameter, the sticker may be going by so quickly it confuses it.

Igoreski
05-14-2011, 11:42 AM
I cant get it to work for more than a couple of min in a truck let alone a boat.For my boat I use my Eagle tree data logger which works great and does not rely on a optical sensor but reads it off the pulses on the ESC which is why I tried it on the SR3300T.I was asking Darin because if anyone can make make it work he would know about it.The tech's at Spektrum told me it was not a easy system to dial in and had the same glitches I had.

Darin Jordan
05-14-2011, 12:30 PM
I've never tried using the Spektrum telemetry. I don't find it useful for boat racing, as you can't watch it and drive at the same time.

I'm much happier using a data recorder. I use the EagleTree all the time, but it's stand-alone.

Another excellent data recorder is that within the Castle ICE controllers. Fantastic, except that it doesn't do temps.

Igoreski
05-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks Darin,I like the Eagle tree also,it provides lot's of info in a tiny package.I just was looking for a way to get that part of the telemetry to work on my crawlers and monster trucks.The SR 3300T works great on the rest of the land applications,I wish the made a RPM module with pulse tech as a add on.

jamie
05-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Thanks to all the responses. I am only using the temp on the esc and set the warning at 130F. I too dont see the point of max rpm either its just going to show when the prop is unloaded i feel. Husky yes the donut is in place thanks and i have now mounted the receiver in the highest part of the cowl and the antenna so heres hopeing for better luck today. If not its a new marine rx at $90 Australian which is not good after already spending $250 on the DX2, the prices for stuff over here is over the top. I wont vent too much about spektrum not supplying a marine rx with a supposidly marine compatible controller :cursing:
Guess they just want us to spend more money

LarrysDrifter
05-14-2011, 09:09 PM
They supply the land based RX because the "most" people that buy the combo are going to be using it in a car or truck. Boat people are kind of left on thier own. Look in all the hobby shops around-they cater mostly to land vehicles because thats mostly what sold and used. Boating seems most popular only on-line and not in the stores.

Darin Jordan
05-14-2011, 11:10 PM
I believe if you look at the offerings more closely, you'll see that they are offering the TX as a stand-alone part, with no RX included... That's how many of them were in the latest dealer catalog they sent me, anyhow...

I would really recommend looking at the DX3C. It's the newest offering and is a great value.

ron1950
05-14-2011, 11:17 PM
i seem to remember seeing dx3s and mr recivers on fleebay sometime ago ....wonder if it was from spectrum or one of the guys that tear down buggies and sell parts etc....

runzwithsizorz
05-15-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm really hoping that one day Spectrum will come out with a telemetry version of the MR3000,(use this one also), would buy in a heartbeat. I too have found the temp gauge very useful, and believe it or not, quite accurate, (double check with gun). I have never had a range problem the SR3300t, maybe cuz I'm the only one on the lake, go figure.