PDA

View Full Version : Wire Drive

shctexas
05-13-2011, 07:28 PM
My refitted boat from Traxxas had serious torque roll after mods-4082/1450kv, Seaking 180 and cooling. Install one wire drive from Mr Wohlt and the roll is gone! Woo-hoo!

Someone had suggested the torque roll may have been caused by the stock flex drive "coiling" inside the teflon lining. I support that theory. The boat sounds and behaves more balanced. I recommend them. But I have a question.

What is the trick to keeping the colette tightened? The set-screws have loosened a couple of times.
Loc-tite doesn't seem like a good idea. Notch the wire drive?

LarrysDrifter
05-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Locktite is a good idea. Use the blue stuff. You can also file or grind minor flats on the wire where the set screws bite. Don't want to go too thin on the wire with the flats either. You want them just enough to get a good flat spot for the screws.

shctexas
05-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Thank you Larry. A flat spot seems like a good solution. I believe I'll use a file, the Dremel can get a little "loose".

LarrysDrifter
05-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Don't forget medium Locktite.

Jeff Wohlt
05-13-2011, 11:28 PM
Sorry...guess i should send a note that says...a flat is a MUST. Yep...blue loctite. Make sure all setscrews r on the wire or it can bore the coupler out and get sloppy

spartanonfire
05-14-2011, 11:27 PM
I am having the torque roll problem as well. (Nailed the throttle and the boat did a complete barrel roll LOL) Can we get a breakdown to what is needed for the conversion. (links to the parts would be great)

Thanks,
Mike

Shaun78
05-15-2011, 07:54 AM
Is the wire a direct replacement with no mods? Any photos?

dag-nabit
05-15-2011, 08:50 AM

If it comes from Jeff, it should slip right in. Just need to replace the collet to fit the wire drive.

Kevin

shctexas
05-15-2011, 11:05 AM
I got mine from Jeff. The only mod necessary will be shortening the wire and filing a flat spot on the wire. The flat spot provides a better "bite" surface for the set screws.

spartanonfire
05-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Just ordered my piano wire setup. I got a .062 and a .078 just to try different options. http://www.rcraceboat.com/Storewiredrive.html

I also got the matching couplers. "5mm Set Screw Couplers 2 set
screws on the motor and 4 on the wire or
cable."
e has the Octura models, but I'm betting the set screw style works better on the piano wire.
http://www.rcraceboat.com/StoreCoupler.html

Can wait to try them out.

Brushless55
05-15-2011, 11:44 PM

Here you go bud :thumbup1:

I got mine from Jeff. The only mod necessary will be shortening the wire and filing a flat spot on the wire. The flat spot provides a better "bite" surface for the set screws.

Jeff Wohlt
05-16-2011, 12:04 AM
Got your order...give me a day or two to catch up. These damn Spartan cables are killing me! Coming from all over the world...must have sold bunches of these boats. Your set up will slide right in the MG.

Brushless55
05-16-2011, 12:09 AM
Got your order...give me a day or two to catch up. These damn Spartan cables are killing me! Coming from all over the world...must have sold bunches of these boats. Your set up will slide right in the MG.

people want the good stuff bro :Peace_Sign:

Shaun78
05-16-2011, 06:11 AM
Jeff, I am looking to order one too for my Spartan. The .150 cable, the 10/32 end nut and the octura 5mm to .150 collet is all i need right? I can use the stock Spartan Drivedog i believe. Thanks

Shaun78
05-16-2011, 09:01 AM
I want the piano wire setup. I was looking at flex shafts on thw website....I want the piano wire setup and whatever elsi I need

Jeff Wohlt
05-16-2011, 10:43 AM
For wire you want the 078 wire drive....it will be slightly longer so you can cut it. You can either use a set screw coupler or an Octura 5mmx78 coupler. I guess the stock drive dog works ok if it is for 3/16" shafts. Then order a bullet nut for 10/32 and you are set. You can run this in the stock teflon and 6S if you wish.

Jeff Wohlt
05-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Shaun...yes that is all you need.

Shaun78
05-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Are piano wire setups better? Jeff is there only 1 .78 piano wire? I want to order the correct stuff. Do u have the octura liners?

Jeff Wohlt
05-16-2011, 11:07 PM
I dont carry liner any longer. Too many different stuffing tubes and many are metric

spartanonfire
05-17-2011, 12:05 AM
Jeff is a straight shooter and I have to give him props, not only does he sell a quality product.... but the other day I ordered some wire drives from his site... then realized I forgot to order the couplers so I went back and ordered them as well (with additional shipping as it was a separate sale) Well today I got a notification that he refunded the additional shipping back to me and I never said a word to him because I knew it was due to my own stupidity. It's refreshing to deal with someone who not only takes pride in the quality of their product, but also is an honest businessman and does the right thing just because it the right thing to do.

Thank you Jeff, you have solidified me as a loyal customer. Traxxas could learn a thing or two from you.

Shaun78
05-17-2011, 06:16 AM
What Teflon liner did u use on your piano wire setups? I am using the stock stuffing tube.