PDA

View Full Version : ESC Problems

GregS
04-03-2007, 09:57 AM
Trying out the new forum for the first time. As I mentioned in another thread I'm still having problems upgrading the radio system in my Profisherman bass boat to an FM system.

I've isolated the problem to a communication problem with the stock Profisherman ESC. I've eliminated interference as a possible cause as the radio works fine with another ESC in the exact same conditions.

I expect the stock ESC is pretty primitive and I'm not sure it has the functionality to arm itself to a different radio so I'm doubtful I can get it to work. Has anyone here successfully replaced the radio in this boat and kept the stock ESC?

Again help would be much appreciated as I've run out of ideas to get it working short of buying a new ESC. Thanks.

Greg

Steven Vaccaro
04-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Greg thats my sons favorite boat. Its a real bear for some reason. We have tried several radios. We ended up with a old fm futaba radio. His distance is still very limited but its better than stock. No that I think of it, I wonder if moving the antenna away from the outboard would help.

GregS
04-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the reply Steven. My problem is I can't get the ESC to respond to the radio at all. The motor goes haywire and does it's own thing regardless of radio input. It's completely unusable like this.

The throttle channel of the radio works fine with the ESC in my Oval master and when connected to a servo.

When setup in the Profisherman the steering servo works fine. Just the ESC doesn't.

Greg

SJFE
04-03-2007, 06:04 PM
I would replace it. You can get the proboat esc for 40 bucks..Its a really good deal for what you get. I have been running it in my tug now for weeks with no problems and it's right next to the receiver and motor.

yz120
04-03-2007, 07:10 PM
i also run the pro boat esc in a hammer w/ 19t mod motor on 8cells.
works really well!:)

GregS
04-04-2007, 10:13 AM
The Proboat ESC looks ideal for this application. I thought I'd give the stock one one last try first. I didn't realize you were supposed to pull the throttle full in each direction in order to program it. I haven't tried that yet. However I'm not sure the stock ESC is capable of being programmed.

One more question. Should the motor be disconnected when doing this set up? Is it bad for an electric motor to rev it to max under no load?