PDA

View Full Version : IMBPA D12 Points Race #3, Queenstown, MD

Chilli
05-12-2011, 08:18 AM
The Delmarva Model Boaters present District Points race #3 in Queenstown, Maryland on the weekend of June 11th. Queenstown is located on the Eastern Shore of MD just east of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. The Delmarva Club did a great job getting all the district classes on their flyer. I'll be out there as well as Don Ferrette and Kent (Hotwater).

I know we have few new board members on the DELMARVA Peninsula and hope to see some of you guys come out and see how much fun we have racing. Of course our brothers in NAMBA D1 are always welcome to come down as well!!! :beerchug:

properchopper
05-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Good luck Guys ; shred that water !!! :thumbup1:

moonlighter112
05-13-2011, 02:40 AM
Thanks for getting this posted ,Carol and I will be there get motel soon

HOTWATER
05-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Dick, will you be bringing your P-mono (Cyberstorm)? Also P-spec tunnel?

moonlighter112
05-15-2011, 01:07 PM
I just might just do that

Chilli
05-15-2011, 01:15 PM
We'll it doesnt look like I'm going to have a P-mono this year. Jerry, after holding my boat for two weeks said that it was obvious that the deck that tore off my Seaducer (the first day the boat touched the water, running by itself) was no ones fault and that the boat was built properly. I told him I know sometimes it's an act of God and I understand they cannot reinforce the sides all the way to the tip of the bow, but there was no adhesive on the CF in the hull and that no amount of FG tape on the sides is going to hold the boat together if the nose isnt bonded properly. I also told them everyone that witnessed the stuff and saw the boat afterwords said it should not have happened. These are guys that attended SAWs with Jerry the previous weekend in NC. They did offer me a new boat very cheap but I told them if thats the best boat they can build, that I wasnt going to risk $750 worth of electrics. It was probably very stupid of me, but I told them to keep the boat and that I'd eat the loss and take my busniess elseware. I don't care at this point. I'm just disgusted.

Maryland FE
05-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Chilli,

Sorry to hear about your Seducer. Don't worry I would have had the same reaction and said the same things, if not worse. I'll definitely see you and Kent on Saturday and Sunday. Friday I'll be at the US Open.

Pete

egneg
05-15-2011, 07:19 PM
If memory serves me Andym's seaducer did pretty much the same thing and he repaired it himself. It looked kinda like a christmas tree - red with a green nose. That's a bummer Mike as I just got my P-mono dialed in and it drives much better than the El Lobo. Now all I need is some buoy time.

Chilli
05-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Looking foward to meet you at Delmarva Pete!

Chuck, I do remember the Duck F%$er doing the same thing. I built the freaking boat twice and and I got a lap and a half out of it. Dick called me and offered a Aeromarine hull he has sitting in the trailer. I may do that or maybe build a new one. We'll see what happens. I'm glad you got the new hull running well. Hope you can make it to Centreville!!!

egneg
05-15-2011, 08:07 PM
Looking foward to meet you at Delmarva Pete!

Chuck, I do remember the Duck F%$er doing the same thing. I built the freaking boat twice and and I got a lap and a half out of it. Dick called me and offered a Aeromarine hull he has sitting in the trailer. I may do that or maybe build a new one. We'll see what happens. I'm glad you got the new hull running well. Hope you can make it to Centreville!!!

Dick offered me the hull as well but I had already gotten the PI Fountain 33. As a matter of fact AndyM asked my why I bought such a POS.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=17310

HOTWATER
05-15-2011, 10:50 PM
Thanks Dick, It will be great see you and Carol. Glad you will be there!

Mike, I am sorry to hear that there will be no fix to the Seaducer situation. I can't believe all of the time you put into TWO seaducer builds that you only got a very small amount of runtime out of it...that is just rediculous bro!!! I feel your frustration!! I hope Jerry feels ok about letting a good customer go like that.......and alot of people read these threads...........

Pete, it will be good to meet you... you will love being at the Delmarva race! Alot of good people there...

And Chuck, your mono looks good to me!! Let it rip!

Doug Smock
05-15-2011, 11:10 PM
Mike man I'm sorry about your Ducer. All of my monos (no matter who makes them) get the two part foam treatment. I put my 42 into the bank at over 80 mph (BAD, BAD hook) and was able to repair it for the RT.
Again sorry bud.
Doug

Chilli
05-15-2011, 11:29 PM
Don't sweat it guys. Sometimes you do the pin'n and sometimes your the pinata. I'm sure Jerry is happy to have one less PITA to deal with.

Irony: Putting two part foam in all your boats except for the Seaducer. :doh:

moonlighter112
05-16-2011, 12:48 AM
IMOP it still should have not come apart it was only running at a slower speed what ahshame. I cannot belive JERRY did not replace the boat no questions asked.

Chilli
05-16-2011, 07:17 AM
Rose answered all my emails. I wonder why Jerry can't take the time to do it himself. I told them I wasnt going any faster than normal heat racing speeds and that there were plenty of witnesses, many of whom were at SAWs with Jerry the previous week. Didn't seem to matter to them. Thats okay. I have no confidence in them or thier product. Time to move on.

cybercrxt
05-16-2011, 09:17 AM
Wow, I cannot believe that is the answer you were given. I might stress this is the second hull you got from them. The first having many problems of its own to the point you sent it back to Jerry on your own dime ($40 shipping costs). I know, as I purchased that defective first hull from Jerry at the SAW's for cheap. It too, was missing the glass cloth at the front, so I had to 2 part foam the bow area to help with that, secondly, the engine rails, upon a lot of review, are indeed not straight with the hull. This forced me to mount the motor a little bit sideways to minimize binding in the drive train.

Another thing I might note from your picture Chilli. It looks like even if they had glassed all the way to the bow, you would have had issues anyway. The reason I say that is they did not even sand the inside of the deck/ hull to help promote additional glass/resin adhesion at the bonding area. It was honestly a matter of time before the deck split from the hull, collision or not.

I am really suprised as Jerry seemed like a very nice, passionate guy. That is a shame nothing is being done to make this right. That hull Dick has runs good, so take him up on it!

Mike

cybercrxt
05-16-2011, 09:19 AM
And why let them keep your hull, have him ship it back with another deck nose piece so you can repair and paint the hull. Heck, I will do it for you. Mike

Chilli
05-16-2011, 10:01 AM
I appreciate you verifying the problems with both boat boats Mike. I pointed out to them that the CF on the nose of the hull was clean as a whistle with no resin. And that no amount of reinforcement on the sides is going to make up for the nose not being properly bonded. I asked them if they could replace the deck but they said it was too much work to replace or patch it.

They offered another boat dirt cheap plus shipping. But I have already paid $200 for the hull $80 for hardware and $75 to box and ship two hulls back to them. I told them to keep the boat. If that's the best they can build a boat, I'm not going to risk putting $700 worth of gear in another one. They are not going to get one more penny out of me.

Hope you have better luck with hull #1 Mike. Steve Sutton told me to run bead of Aerospace Epoxy along the seam at the bow. I think he told me John Finch sells it.

moonlighter112
06-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Kent are you running your P-MONO.Dick

Chilli
06-02-2011, 02:01 PM
I told Kent you ordered both of us to run our P-mono's. I'm getting ready to do a little work on the Scorpion.

Looks like James is not running B-mono at the next two races.

moonlighter112
06-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Looks like its gonna be a electric show,if kent isnt going to run I will put a boat together for carol

Chilli
06-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Kent said he'll hit the pond this weekend and get the Rico ready to run.

moonlighter112
06-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Good deal

Doug Smock
06-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Kent are you running your P-MONO Dick

Kent why do you let him talk to you like that???

Oh..... :laugh: nevermind.:biggrin:

HOTWATER
06-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Kent are you running your P-MONO.Dick

Yes, I am running my P-mono. Also running my P-Spec Tunnel.....:buttrock:

-Kent

Chilli
06-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Here's the Luszcz/Chilli prepped P-mono I slapped together for next weekend (thanks to Dick).

The boat was pretty much put together when I got it. I just added a few Chilli mono touches. Working on this boat was a pleasure after wrestling with the tight confines of the Seaducer. Dick and Mike knew what the boat looked like before so the following discription is for them. The Trim tabs were loose so I flipped the brackets over and reinstalled them. I trimmed the top of the rails toward the front so they look "purdier". I pulled off the tray at the back of the transom and trimmed it down so it would fit inside the rails. I added another tray fore of the motor for the speed controller and a brace for the stuffing tube near the coupler. I also layed down some fresh velco and added an antenna mount. I have a drive dog and Scorpion decal orderd to finish her off. Power is a Hydra Ice and a 1521/1.5D on 4S2P. I didnt use my 1515 1Y because it's sitting in my FE30. I had the 1521 and Ice controller left over from oval trials. Prop will be a 447/3. Hopefully the mount will hold that big motor and the hull can take power. She'll hit the water for the first time at testn'tune on Friday (story of my life). This might be a good boat for Carol once I get a new hull.

It may be an all electric B/P Mono. Dick Tyndall retired his "B" and Carl isn't comming. Danny Weimer posted on Jim's that entries have been on the light side.

I don't know if there will be enough B/Spec hydros? We may have to move John to open FE hydro.

egneg
06-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Looks great Mike ... good luck at the races.

moonlighter112
06-08-2011, 07:32 AM
Chilli I thought you and kent were going to run B-Mono ?

Chilli
06-08-2011, 08:45 AM
We are Dick. We're making some adjustments to the entries.

carlcisneros
06-08-2011, 10:37 AM
wish Dick would un-retire his B mono for our race at the end of the month.

want to run with him one more time before i do the same to my b-mono.

HOTWATER
06-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Chilli I thought you and kent were going to run B-Mono ?

Yup...we're definately running P-Mono with you...Just waiting for Earl to PM me back (on Jim's RC Boat Dock). Supposedly, they had not gotten my registration yet...I sent it out June 2. Not sure why it would take so long for Omro to receive it. Looks like I might have to pay the late fee....Also running my Vision FE (B/P-Spec tunnel)...you're running your ML PS295 FE, right?

Thanks again Mike for getting the word out to the Delmarva gang about the entry changes/ add ins....:thumbup1:

moonlighter112
06-08-2011, 02:40 PM
I thought I might run my NITRO boat

HOTWATER
06-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Really?! I think James Beasley is running his P-spec tunnel in that class....at least when I asked him about running it, he said he "might just do that" since his P-spec tunnel is all ready to go....

When will you and Carol be getting to the pond on Friday?

moonlighter112
06-08-2011, 03:20 PM
I might not run B/P ,I might just run my 295 nitro boat to get it working right. Ive got to get my SKIFF working. I should be there at 10:36.27 AM may-be 10:37.18 . Ill pin it down better when I get there. Carol should be there about same time give or take a min or two.

HOTWATER
06-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Lol!!!!

Chilli
06-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Kent, you've got orders from the D12 Grand Poobah. He requests you run you Spec Hydro!!

Just got home. Will call the camp ground now.

HOTWATER
06-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Chilli, got your email....replied back to you.....Dusting off the JAE...LOL! Maybe Don can get through to the Delmarva guys to get me on the schedule!.....DON...........

Chilli
06-08-2011, 05:18 PM
I'll call Mike Butler this evening. Apparantly Omro had a last second work commitment this weekend and will be unable to attend. Mike is handling entries now.

I'll handle your entry Kent. If anyone else has any changes call Mike Butler at (410) 294-0255

Kent, You have two turn fins correct??

HOTWATER
06-08-2011, 06:47 PM
I will be using the Sundowner (Hughes) fin on mine and you will get the Hughes JAE fin (the one you used for records)...no problem bro! Thanks for getting things together!:beerchug:

egneg
06-08-2011, 07:14 PM
I will be using the Sundowner (Hughes) fin on mine and you will get the Hughes JAE fin (the one you used for records)...no problem bro! Thanks for getting things together!:beerchug:

I just got chunk of aluminum 12 x 24 x .80 thick. I have both the original JAE plans and a template of the one from Kent. Let me know if you guys need one.

Chilli
06-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Thanks Chuck. I have a few fins I sent to get sharpened. Kent is going to lend me one of his till I get mine back. If you get a few done, I'd like to see one of your fins at the Chesapeake race.

Chilli
06-08-2011, 08:24 PM
I talked to Mike this evening. I have been taken out of B/P-spec Tunnel and put in B/P Mono.

Kent, Omro got your entry and I verified your classes for Mike. B/P Spec Tunnel, B/P-spec hydro and B/P Mono

We've got three entries for B/P-Mono, three for B/P-Spec hydro and four for B/P-Spec Tunnel.

Off to the work shop to swap the FE30 into spec attire.

HOTWATER
06-08-2011, 09:16 PM
THANK YOU BRO!!!!! Very nice!!!

Hmmmm...see you at the Chesapeake race? .......YEAH BABY!!!!!!

Doug Smock
06-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Good luck fellas!!!!

Doug

HOTWATER
06-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Good luck fellas!!!!

Doug

Thanks bro! :beerchug:

-Kent

properchopper
06-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Sounds like some good racing coming up :thumbup1: Good luck to all, boil that water & take some pictures :thumbup1:

Chilli
06-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the well wishes guys.

Everyone drive safe. I'm leaving right after John gets off school. We should be there very late afternoon.

carlcisneros
06-09-2011, 10:28 PM
have fun guys.

hope the weather holds out for you as well.

HOTWATER
06-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Sounds like some good racing coming up :thumbup1: Good luck to all, boil that water & take some pictures :thumbup1:

Thanks Tony! I think it's cool that you follow what's going on with us East coast guys....we'll let you know what happens!

have fun guys.

hope the weather holds out for you as well.

Thanks Carl! Well be watching out for the pop-up T-storms...

See you in a couple weeks!

-Kent

Chilli
06-09-2011, 11:33 PM
Congrats on your daughters graduation Carl. See you next weekend!

Chilli
06-12-2011, 09:09 PM
District 12 race #3 is a wrap. We had a great time. It was hotter than heck but the thunder and rain missed us all weekend so I'm not going to complain. We met two guys from OSE who came out to watch us run. I love to see new faces at the race! John "spicedcrab" dropped by to visit us. He had the Delmarva people thinking someone ordered 15 bushels of crabs. LOL. If you ever decide to race with us John, you'll fit right in!!! Pete "Maryland FE" hung out with us all weekend and I think we sunk a hook in him. He's waiting to get his ML tunnel so he can come out and join the fun. I also put Pete to work changing a motor for me while I was pitting for other people. Thanks Pete!!!:thumbup1:

And speaking of helping out. That was story of the weekend. I leant Kent a fin for his mono. He leant my one for my JAE. Don Ferette, helped Kent replace a servo in his Rico. Dick Loeb saved the day for John's VS1 when the Motor/shaft collet stripped out. I got a chance to repay Dick back when he broke a brass cooling nipple on his rudder. Everyone did what ever they could to keep everyone running and that was awesome!! I'm proud to be a member of this bunch.

As for the racing, there was frustration early for a few of us but it all got worked out and just about everyone took home some wood. We had some great competition with the combined nitro/FE classes. Dick edged out a nitro racer in B/P Mono for first place. Kent had some control issues due to a bad rudder servo and his Rico now shows great potential. That thing is a rocket. My Insane Sport Hydro was edged out by a nitro rigger in B/P-Spec hydro. I took one first and three seconds in four heats with that boat. John took third with my old JAE. I cant remember how the FE tunnel boats did. John ran his VS1 for the first time and loved it. After all the problems I had with the Woodstuff, the VS1 has restored my enthusiasm in tunnel boats. We had a pair of one heat FE Mono and FE Hydro shootouts. Dick took the Mono shootout with the Cyberstorm and John made Papa proud taking the Hydro shootout with the JAE. In other news, the Loebs took home a box of awards in FE, nitro and gas classes. Thats a new district first! Dicks Jersey Skiff was rock'n:rockon2: I finally got some balls in stock gas and put my nose in lane one at the start. I ended up with a wire to wire victory for my first gas heat win (without the entire field DNF'ing) . No one could touch the Sniper in clean water. Mono guru Steve Sutton did take the victory in the class for the weekend. I also ran Open Offshore for fun and the Sniper could just not handle the sloppy water. I DNF'ed every heat. It was still fun!!! Lastly I want to thank Don for sponsoring the awards for the Shootout!! We appreciate your support Don!!! Now get a FE boat ready to race!!!

Thats it for now. Sorry if I missed anything. Next race in just two weeks in my home pond in Northern, VA.:beerchug:

HOTWATER
06-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Man, I had a great time this weekend. It was great seeing everybody and meeting a couple of the guys from the OSE board!!! Pete, thanks for hanging out and helping out with things this weekend! You are a good guy! Would be great to see some pics you took with that awesome camera!!

I had a bit of a rough start this weekend, especially with the Rico, but Don Ferrette jumped on board to give me a hand and pointed out that my servo was the problem! He gave me one of his servos and I dremeled out a new spot for it and Don fit the new servo in place...problem solved! I am now a happy camper...Thanks Don for being there for me!!!:bowdown: :Peace_Sign:

Wish I could've placed better in the classes I was in, but was more interested in getting my boats dialed in better...lots of learning experiences this weekend...:laugh:...I left the Delmarva race today feeling much more confident about the progress I had made with my tunnel and Mono. :biggrin:

Chilli, I had a great time with you and John this weekend...you guys are my boyz! Thanks for Q'in up the burgers and dogs yesterday (that hit the spot!) and for stoping at Dunkin' Donuts each morning on the way to the drivers meetings...I needs me coffee fix in the morning...lol!

Boy, Dick and Carol Loeb sure did clean up pretty good this weekend...they were given a box to put all of their trophies in...congrats guys!!

Next up....The Centreville race!!! :buttrock:

moonlighter112
06-13-2011, 07:14 AM
Had a great time this weekend,my skiff was a blast WOOOW!!!what a hoot.Still getting my Nitro 295 dialed in last heat it was rockin cool to see a nitro boat second stage its gonna be a super fast lil tunnel,F/E tunnel ran great still a little tweeking left, Cyberstorm ran great had alot of fun with this boat(Chilli an Kent are coming after me hard, John you are lookin great young gun pickin on us OLE guys) Chilli thanks for lettin Carol dig into my wallet you know what I mean now I need to get my 20 Sport Hyro going for her.The cookie Lady had a great weekend also we had 9 trophys between both of us. Thanks great fun Dick an Carol

properchopper
06-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Congrat's to all. Does my heart good to hear of the sportsmanship going on; the way everyone shares and helps out is just as memorable as the trophy dashes :thumbup1:

Maryland FE
06-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Kent and Mike,

It was great to finally put a face to a name. Glad that I could help you guys out. Mike the hook did get sunk in, DEEP!! Mike, it was great to meet your son, John. I was glad to see he had a good weekend with both his boats. I was like a sponge around you guys, learning and observing everything I could. Glad to see everyone got trophies, I'll get mine next year.

Another plus was meeting Dick and Carol Loeb , and finally getting to see the ML PS295 and NS295 close up and in action. You know that made my weekend. :thumbup1:

"You're all good people" I look forward to seeing you all at the next round in Centerville, VA in a couple weeks.

I'll post pic's in the very near future.

Pete

Maryland FE
06-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Kent "Hotwater" in action....

Maryland FE
06-13-2011, 06:47 PM
Chilli "Nautiboyz" and son, John in action.....

Maryland FE
06-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Dick "Moonlighter112" and Carol in action.....

Doug Smock
06-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Looks and sounds like you fellas, and lady "did it like it ought to be done" congrats!!!!

Thanks for the pics Pete.
Doug :beerchug:

Chilli
06-14-2011, 12:06 AM
Nice pics' Pete. Thanks for posting. Bring the camera to the Capitol Race. You'll be closer to the water and level with the pond.

HOTWATER
06-14-2011, 12:11 AM
Great pics Pete! Thanks for posting them!!!

-Kent

egneg
06-14-2011, 01:33 AM
Boats look great!

carlcisneros
06-14-2011, 01:45 AM
here are a couple pics of my converted insane gen 1 mono that mike took a couple weekends ago.
water was choppy that day.

HOTWATER
06-14-2011, 05:06 PM
Nice job Carl! That thing is cool!!

spicedcrab
06-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Hi all, I loved being able to stop by and see some of the races, as well as talk with some of you. I would be there racing with everyone if I was able to work it out around the crab schedule but unfortunately I don't believe that's possible (at this time anyway). Thanks for all the kindness I was treated with during my brief visit and I hope that everyone had as much fun as they looked like they were having.

John

PS.... I still have your 15 bushels of steamed crabs in the chiller..... waiting... lol

egneg
06-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Hi all, I loved being able to stop by and see some of the races, as well as talk with some of you. I would be there racing with everyone if I was able to work it out around the crab schedule but unfortunately I don't believe that's possible (at this time anyway). Thanks for all the kindness I was treated with during my brief visit and I hope that everyone had as much fun as they looked like they were having.

John

PS.... I still have your 15 bushels of steamed crabs in the chiller..... waiting... lol

You are talking about CB blue crabs ... right?

HOTWATER
06-14-2011, 09:48 PM

John

Good to meet you bro! Also nice to see your Vortex....looks good! Work on next year...it would be great to see you running!

Man, i'm sure the Delmarva crew would love to have crabs for lunch break:w00t:....might be a looooong lunch break though:huh:...lol!

-Kent :beerchug:

spicedcrab
06-16-2011, 06:00 PM
LOL, Yes I bet it would be a long lunch break.

I just burnt up a castle monster ESC that I converted to water cooling. (It was an experiment) So now I have to order a couple more ESC's (one for the castle 2200 motor in the miss geico that just fried) and (one for a 1515 1y Neu that will go in my next build)

My question is.......
Since you guys have probably tried most of the esc's on the market, What one would you recommend that I spend my money on? I need ones that are in the 180 to 240 range.
Thanks! John

Chilli
06-16-2011, 07:01 PM
A very good performing economy controller has been the Turnigy or Sea King 180 at about $100

If you don't mind spending the big bucks, than the Castle Hydra Ice at a little over $250.

What hull and prop did you burn up the monster on??

spicedcrab
06-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks for your input,

I was wondering about the one's you listed and also wondering about the 200 swordfish as well. So you think they are all about the same?

The hull was the miss geico 29, x438 prop, castle 2200 motor, 6 cell voltage >>> (I know, I know - but I love experimenting and wanted to see if super high rpm's would work, and how it would equate into saw speeds) Here is a video of a run that broke a flex shaft. The next run was 2 weeks later and 078 wire drive, the wire drive held up fine but the ESC went this time. (No video of that run but it was MUCH faster because the strut and cog was dialed in better, no bounce)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-XRuNrxJJY
U-XRuNrxJJY

Chilli
06-16-2011, 08:10 PM
I'm not familiar with the swordfish but I'm sure somone on OSE has an opinion on them. You were turning some serious rpm's on 6S. Close to 50K. Considering all the hopping your boat was doing and the length of the run. I would say your controller held up pretty well. That motor is a great heat racing 4S motor. On 6s it builds up heat very quickly. When the boat hops you get tremendous amp spikes which will distroy the controller. The MG should be able to do 50's no problem on 4S with that motor.

How come no crab pots on your creek??