PDA

View Full Version : So glad I listened to you guys.

spartanonfire
05-10-2011, 11:01 PM
I finally got my Leopard 4082 kv1600 in yesterday and spent that evening doing all the final wiring to the Turnigy 180a esc. Ran all the 4mm cooling lines from the dual pickup OSE rudder and greased up the aftermarket flex cable and new octura liner. and capped it off with an x440 prop freshly balanced and sharpened. (I know the 440 isn't much of an upgrade I just wanted to start small and check temps first)

So today I got home from work and dropped in my 2 - 6s 6000 Turnigy batteries and walked down to the water. Ran it a few minutes and checked the temperature. The ESC and Motor were both 80! Ok... time to drop the hammer for some extended running.... 25 minutes later (love the 2-6s in parallel run time) the LVC cut in and I brought it to shore. This time the motor and the ESC were a scorching 85. LMAO The batteries were 90.:cool2: Love , love, love it!:rockon2:

Now tomorrow i'll put on the 645 prop and see how much the temp rises.

Thanks for all the input from the members at OSE. I now have the Spartan I expected from Traxxas in the first place.

FYI.. the 2 huge 6s 6000mah batteries not only gave a great runtime... they made it much more stable than with 2 lighter 3s 6000mah batteries previously run with the stock motor.

Jeff Wohlt
05-10-2011, 11:13 PM
Nice...was that one of my cables?

spartanonfire
05-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Nice...was that one of my cables?

Yes it was. its the .150 with and octura liner and an octura coupler. I also put rubber bushings in the gap between the strut and hull. There was no discoloration on the stuffing tube and the teflon liner looked fresh as a daisy.:bounce:

I pulled it all apart this evening and did a thorough inspection. ZERO issues.:thumbup1:

I'm hoping the 645 prop doesn't push the limits of the .150 to far. If so I guess I'll upgrade the next size (I think it's the .187) and run it without the liner.

spartanonfire
05-10-2011, 11:34 PM
Here are some pics... Need to decide on a new paint scheme or wrap.

mrfabrications
05-11-2011, 01:08 AM
Very nice work looks clean :thumbup:

Brushless55
05-11-2011, 01:58 AM
Looks great man!
some thought I was stupid for suggesting running 6s packs in prallel
but you get great runtimes and a more stable hull :beerchug:

Snowride
05-11-2011, 05:38 AM
Nice setup and glad things are working out. I am waiting for delivery of my new drive cables and octura liner to get back on the water but I have a feeling everything will be fine as was with yours. :beerchug:

Jeff Wohlt
05-11-2011, 08:14 AM
That picture does not have an octura coupler on it.

spartanonfire
05-11-2011, 09:27 AM
That picture does not have an octura coupler on it.

I thought it was an octura. With your knowledge im sure you're correct.:bowdown: I just threw away the bag so I couldn't tell you what it is. However it is aftermarket, stainless steel and seems very well made.

Rcforever27
05-11-2011, 10:21 AM
I'm gonna be using the .187 cable from Jeff. Got two of them. The only thing that worries me is I had to remove the Teflon liner . And some guys i'n here said that's ok , which I believe it will as long as I grease alittle heavy and after every run. That cable looks a hell of alot better than the stock. Haven't tried the boat yet. Have a couple if odds and ends to finish. Great setup tho!!! Clean and mean!!!!! Can't wait to get mine i'n the water!!!!

spartanonfire
05-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Even the .150 from jeff feels significantly beefier than the stock one. I never had an issue with the stocker,(although it only had 2 - 5 minute runs on it) I just wanted to pull it off before it failed like the rest of the crap traxxas used on the spartan.

Rcforever27
05-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Yeah I hear you..... I might get some .150 cables from him as well....

Brushless55
05-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Even the .150 from jeff feels significantly beefier than the stock one. I never had an issue with the stocker,(although it only had 2 - 5 minute runs on it) I just wanted to pull it off before it failed like the rest of the crap traxxas used on the spartan.

good idea getting the new better built shaft :thumbup1:

mrfabrications
05-11-2011, 02:06 PM
I just ordered the new stuff tube 9/32 brass for (.187 Teflon tubing) and Teflon Liner for .187 flex cable. this way you can run the liner if you want and have the large cable.

dag-nabit
05-11-2011, 02:50 PM
I'm gonna be using the .187 cable from Jeff. Got two of them. The only thing that worries me is I had to remove the Teflon liner . And some guys i'n here said that's ok , which I believe it will as long as I grease alittle heavy and after every run. That cable looks a hell of alot better than the stock. Haven't tried the boat yet. Have a couple if odds and ends to finish. Great setup tho!!! Clean and mean!!!!! Can't wait to get mine i'n the water!!!!

No real worries, just keep it lubed and the stuffing tube should last a long time.

If, or when, it does wear through, it is not a big deal, the replacements are cheap, and easy to replace since they are not epoxied through the hull.

Kevin

BTW, just got my replacement cables from Jeff yesterday, and they DO feel like there are much better quality flex than the OEM.

Brushless55
05-11-2011, 03:20 PM

You are right my friend
these cables are so much better than the stock POS
and keep it greased like you said an things will be good :rockon2:
that .187 is hefty

djmaincheese
05-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Do you have any video running the 6S in parallel? I really want to see how the extra weight affects the hull. Obviously the motor and esc can handle the weight because your temps were very low. Do you have any idea what speed you are getting out of her?

spartanonfire
05-11-2011, 08:02 PM
I just finished running her with the 645 prop. (Sorry, no video) The batteries were still under 100. the motor was 85 and the esc was 90. I have about 1 degree of upward angle on the strut and ran the batteries about 3inches back from full forward in the trays. Its still really stable, runs a little wet at slower speeds but when the hammer is down it looks about right. Still a little bit of chine walk if you don't ease into top speed. If I had to guess I'd say it was easily mid 50's, probably not far from 60. But I need to go buy a GPS now to verify it.

One strange thing... the 5.5 bullet connectors I soldered to 10ga wire to drop down to the 4mm bullets for the motor were really hot. none of the wire was, just the bullets? Bad solder joint? or just the normal resistance from going thru the connetor?

Shaun78
05-11-2011, 08:12 PM
What cable setup can i get that is a direct fit for the Spartan? My stock cable binds when I put an x645 prop on it.

Shaun78
05-11-2011, 08:18 PM
I mean I see Jeff has a 150 cable....will this fit in stock tube? What size and brand Teflon liner is better.

dag-nabit
05-11-2011, 08:34 PM
I mean I see Jeff has a 150 cable....will this fit in stock tube? What size and brand Teflon liner is better.

Yes, Jeff's .150 cable is a direct fit. just make sure you order the one for the Spartan, the Spartan has an odd size propeller stub and you want to be sure to get the correct one.

Not sure on liners, has been discussed here previously, Octura I think is most often suggested. Someone will confirm for you.

Kevin

Brushless55
05-11-2011, 08:41 PM

yeah, that will work great
and I believe this is the liner you need
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-oc150t-24

spartanonfire
05-11-2011, 10:37 PM
I have jeff's .150 flex cable and the octura liner. Only thing is you need a different prop nut. The stock one doesn't fit jeff's shaft. I forget the size I got, but I'm sure he knows if you ask him.

Jeff Wohlt
05-11-2011, 11:59 PM
I make these for the std 10/32 prop nut...or get an octura bullet nut on my site...even nicer. I also have 5mmx150 Octura couplers.

§Bodo§
05-12-2011, 04:17 AM
Some more questions. It seems that you changed only the rudder blade. Which blade did you use and was it a simple fit or did you modify the stock bracket? Did you use the internal BEC of the 180A esc, because some people are reporting problems with the internal BEC at 6S?
Regards
Bodo

Jeff Wohlt
05-12-2011, 07:54 AM
On 6s you really need to not use the bec...just one more issue and it creates heat. Some use it without issues but i would not use it. Just me but that is asking alot to step down that voltage

spartanonfire
05-12-2011, 09:39 AM
Some more questions. It seems that you changed only the rudder blade. Which blade did you use and was it a simple fit or did you modify the stock bracket? Did you use the internal BEC of the 180A esc, because some people are reporting problems with the internal BEC at 6S?
Regards
Bodo

I used the dual pickup rudder from OSE. Since the hull has moulded mounts for the stock rudder mount, I wanted to utilize it. All had to do was grind down the top and bottom of the hinge area on the new rudder to fit in the stock mount. Then i drilled out the stock mounts bushings to fit the larger hinge pin that came with the OSE rudder.

I haven't had a problem using the bec on 6s. I'm going to keep using it and see how long it lasts.

Shaun78
05-15-2011, 03:24 PM
So the standard prop nut works? I see the cable and the collet on jeffs site. No octura liner? Is that all I need are those 3 things? Then to install I need to cut and notch out for the prop dog set screw? Do I need a new prop dog too?

Shaun78
05-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Anyone that cut the wire, what length is it?

dag-nabit
05-15-2011, 04:42 PM
So the standard prop nut works? I see the cable and the collet on jeffs site. No octura liner? Is that all I need are those 3 things? Then to install I need to cut and notch out for the prop dog set screw? Do I need a new prop dog too?

See Jeff's post above: his shafts use a 10/32 nut, which is different from the stock Spartan nut. (which I believe is a 4mm nut)

You may or may not need to trim the length of the wire, the two I got are pretty much exactly the same length as the stock cable.

Mine needed a flat filed on the shaft for the drive dog, very easy to do. But i think Jeff will file them for you if you ask.

Stock Drive Dog will work.

Kevin

Shaun78
05-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Have u tried yours yet kevin? I haven't researched wire setups yet. I haven't run spartan much but I did just install a 1500 kv leopard.

dag-nabit
05-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Have u tried yours yet kevin? I haven't researched wire setups yet. I haven't run spartan much but I did just install a 1500 kv leopard.

Hey Shaun,

I didn't realize you were referring to piano wire drives, thought the topic was still on the .150 flex cables being discussed above.

I have a pair of the .150 cables from Jeff, just filed the flats today and will be sizing and fitting them in the next day or two.

Ice is finally off the lake but I was working this weekend. If the wind co-operates, I will finally be able to run the Spartans next weekend. :rockon2:

Kevin