PDA

View Full Version : dropped a prop.

bagedtaco
05-09-2011, 05:03 PM
I lost a prop. yesterday on my 4th pass. brand new s/b octura 648.

what prop. nut r u using and do u use loctite or anything on them?

ministock6
05-09-2011, 05:19 PM
i use nylon lock nuts on mine havnt had one come loose yet

Flyguy55
05-09-2011, 05:25 PM
There are some all metal hi temp lock nut they use on jet engines that are small , fit the small prop hubs and work good. I bought mine off International waters . The may be called crush nuts .

Doug Smock
05-09-2011, 06:05 PM
http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=201&zenid=fa0a0d3b4708c824205abcc87e71342e

NativePaul
05-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Whatever sort of locknut you use, make sure you use a new one every few times you move it, they all loosen up with use.

ice329
05-09-2011, 07:29 PM
ouch..

Simple nuts with the nylon or teflon and keep putting fresh ones every so often. I bought some at lowes and also got some at a hobby shop. I just looked, steve has some kind of locking nut but not the ones with nylon that I could find, they maybe someplace on his pages.

I worked hard on that prop...put nylon nuts on it...... hehehe

egneg
05-09-2011, 07:34 PM
ouch..

Simple nuts with the nylon or teflon and keep putting fresh ones every so often. I bought some at lowes and also got some at a hobby shop. I just looked, steve has some kind of locking nut but not the ones with nylon that I could find, they maybe someplace on his pages.

I worked hard on that prop...put nylon nuts on it...... hehehe

Good answer, especially with the nylocks. They should be replaced every few uses. The metal ones are an interference fit and should be replaced every time they are taken off.

Fluid
05-09-2011, 08:06 PM
The metal ones are an interference fit and should be replaced every time they are taken off. Hundreds of R/C boaters will disagree with the last part of that statement. I've been using "Zuber nuts" (similar to these: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-8135) for over twenty years, and I get lots of uses out of them before they become loose. You can easily feel then they are getting loose, and the wear is on both the shaft and the nut. You can either throw them away, or extend their life by carefully squeezing them in a vice just a bit. (It takes at least a 5" vice and careful use, but lots of us do it.) I have never tossed out a shaft due to worn threads either, a die works wonders.

chummer
05-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Lucky for me, I have yet to loose a prop but I always check my prop nut before each run. For added security I put a piece of small water/fuel tubing behind the nut over the threaded shaft. This will keep the nut from completely coming off.

m4a1usr
05-09-2011, 09:44 PM
I been using the zuber nuts as well for years. Never lost a prop yet due to one spinning off as long as it still has a tight fit. Plus they are hardened steel. And they are cheap. Now on my setups with tapered brass bullet style nuts I like to use some red locktite to keep them attached. A bit of heat from a lighter and the locktite softens enough to spin them right off.

John

ice329
05-09-2011, 10:13 PM
I am sure there is many good nuts (I am one of them)... (-: hehe but the simple very cheap answer is
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n103/ice0329/Nylon20Insert20Stop20Nut.jpg

Insaniac
05-09-2011, 10:35 PM
1/4 inch piece of silicone tubing...haven't lost a prop (nitro or FE) in 30 years!

bagedtaco
05-10-2011, 10:24 AM
thnks for the info.

egneg
05-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Hundreds of R/C boaters will disagree with the last part of that statement. I've been using "Zuber nuts" (similar to these: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-8135) for over twenty years, and I get lots of uses out of them before they become loose. You can easily feel then they are getting loose, and the wear is on both the shaft and the nut. You can either throw them away, or extend their life by carefully squeezing them in a vice just a bit. (It takes at least a 5" vice and careful use, but lots of us do it.) I have never tossed out a shaft due to worn threads either, a die works wonders.

And because you use them more than once makes it right. I have worked in places where you could lose your job for not replacing them every time.

wparsons
05-10-2011, 10:36 PM
1/4 inch piece of silicone tubing...haven't lost a prop (nitro or FE) in 30 years!

Agreed, even if you're running a lock nut. I find that either before or after the nut works wonders.

Before the nut keeps tension on the nut making it harder to back off. After keeps it from spinning off at all.

spartanonfire
05-11-2011, 12:04 AM
Locktite Blue... works like a champ.

scoota
05-12-2011, 05:24 AM
never lost a prop or had nut come loose , i use a nut & a prop tail nut , all you have to do hold the nut & tighten the prop tail nut & they will never come loose , im using nuts that are 2-3 years old .

sailr
05-12-2011, 11:35 AM
good deal on the Zuber nuts here if he has any left:

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=44968