PDA

View Full Version : What servo? Radio?

obrien
01-31-2008, 10:19 AM
I am looking for suggestions on a steering servo for my outboard electric tunnels.

I am also wondering if it would be possible to get 1 radio that can run more than one boat as long as the reciever in each boat has the same frequency? Would there be any problems with that as long as I am only running the one boat at a time?

Bill-SOCAL
01-31-2008, 10:43 AM
Most recommendations for servos in tunnels are for a high torque servo with 100 to 150 in-oz of torque.

As far as a radio goes, I use a Futaba 3PM FASST 2.4. It has 10 model memories and all the features any FE boat needs. I've got 7 boats on it now. Room for three more!!!!

The best part of this radio is the it is Spread Spectrum and you don't need a pin!!

Darin Jordan
01-31-2008, 10:49 AM
I am looking for suggestions on a steering servo for my outboard electric tunnels.

Obrien,

I would highly recommend either a Hitec HS645-MG or an equivalent other brand servo... You want something in the 100 in/lb torque range... speed is NOT important... Mine is turned down to something like 60% and it's still a little fast... The bottom line is you want something powerful... Your boat will handle better...

I am also wondering if it would be possible to get 1 radio that can run more than one boat as long as the reciever in each boat has the same frequency? Would there be any problems with that as long as I am only running the one boat at a time?

I like my JR... but I think I'd go with Hitec, or maybe even Futaba in the future... They all have models that have 3 or 7 or even 10 memories... a lot will depend on your budget... The JR XS3 Pro is nice, but a couple of years old... They have newer models now...

Flying Scotsman
01-31-2008, 11:23 AM
I agree with both Darin and Bill on servo choice.

If you are on a budget ...Hitec SRX....If not Hitec CRX with Spectra,Futaba or JR Use dual conversion receivers if it is not 2.4ghz.

Douggie

obrien
01-31-2008, 06:05 PM
one other question. I have an older 2 channel futaba from one of my other boats. When I tried it on my black jack, nothing would work. Why would that be?

Flying Scotsman
01-31-2008, 07:00 PM
Probably a different frequency 27 or 75 Khz

Douggie

obrien
01-31-2008, 10:40 PM
I swapped the reciever and the radio. Would the frequency effect the servo and esc?

properchopper
02-01-2008, 11:18 AM
I'dld highly recommend either a Hitec HS645-MG or an equivalent other brand servo... You want something in the 100 in/lb torque range... speed is NOT important... Mine is turned down to something like 60% and it's still a little fast... The bottom line is you want something powerful... Your boat will handle better....

When I installed the electronics in the box, I bought a low profile servo [$28] for clearance. Not enough torque ; boat turned fine, but wouldn't return to center. Pulled it out & called LHS for a HS-645-MG [ $58] & they had two in stock. Cruised there after work & was told : " Two guys from England just bought them " Crap !
Clerk showed me the next better servo - HS 5985-MG ; 144 oz/in at 4.8 v. Cool, Ill take it ! It was only $ 93 bucks :tape: . OK; #1] I was so p.o'ed, #2] just sold two motorcycles that day at work & felt a littled monied, & #3] I love this boat so much, that I sprung for it. That's now $ 121 in servos, but WTF, right ! Finessed the full-size servo in [4 hours] & it did the trick, but it's REALLY fast . priced the servo programming box to slow it down: $153 bucks !
No, I'm not buying one; just have to dial-in the steering hand-control carefully.
Just had to vent :sorry: . And Darin, no more great boat ideas for awhile, OK, Buddy ?

Flying Scotsman
02-01-2008, 11:29 AM
No. You will have to do a fault check as stated in your manual. Also make sure that the TX and RX are on the same channel and frequency.
Douggie

Darin Jordan
02-01-2008, 11:34 AM
And Darin, no more great boat ideas for awhile, OK, Buddy ?

So... you don't want to hear about our P-Spec Mono class we're running this season??? :zip-up: ;)

properchopper
02-01-2008, 11:46 AM
So... you don't want to hear about our P-Spec Mono class we're running this season??? :zip-up: ;)

Actually, I'm rather VERY interested in the Vac-U-Pickle movent that Jerry Dunlap & Capt'n Ron are doing in Gatorland. I'll pm you the hidden :spy: link .

Flying Scotsman
02-01-2008, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE=properchopper;26977]When I installed the electronics in the box, I bought a low profile servo [$28] for clearance. Not enough torque ; boat turned fine, but wouldn't return to center. Pulled it out & called LHS for a HS-645-MG [ $58] & they had two in stock. Cruised there after work & was told : " Two guys from England just bought them " Crap !

Properchopper...HS-645 -MG $58.00 . I can buy them in Canada for $29.58 cdn

If you want a link send me a pm

Douggie

Darin Jordan
02-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Properchopper...HS-645 -MG $58.00 . I can buy them in Canada for $29.58 cdn

If you want a link send me a pm

Douggie

Douggie is right... they are only $35.99 for the HS-645-MG (metal gears, 2 bearing)... at a certain large online hobby shop...

I've been shying away from the 5xxx series HiTecs... I'm just not ready for digital servos yet...

properchopper
02-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Thank you kind Sir, but I already sprung for the high dollar unit. I would be interested in the link however; maybe they have a good price on the servo programming box.

Regards, Tony