PDA

View Full Version : Seaking 180 extending leads

Shaun78
05-04-2011, 06:35 PM
can i extend the leads or do i have to unsolder at the base and use a new longer wire?

Rumdog
05-04-2011, 06:37 PM
The question I have, is why?

dana
05-04-2011, 06:39 PM
you want your wires to be as short as possible. i would solder bullets on and make some extentions. desoldering for the board is risky at best, and just soldering wires together isn't exactly great. there are a lot of amps going thru your wires, so the more connections and wiring, the worse off you are. always keep all your wires the same length too

dana
05-04-2011, 06:39 PM
The question I have, is why?

another good point lol

Shaun78
05-04-2011, 06:49 PM
The wires were cut real short and I have a hard time plugging in my batteries

dana
05-04-2011, 06:53 PM
can you move it closer to your batteries?

Shaun78
05-04-2011, 06:57 PM
No. I guess I can leave it alone

scoota
05-04-2011, 08:10 PM
like Dana said just make some extenions with the same gauge wires , i have done it with some of my boats were i cant get the ESC close to the batteries

sailr
05-05-2011, 02:45 PM
I do the extensions myself. I use 5.5 or 6mm gold bullet connectors. You will have a little added resistance but if you go with 10 gauge wire you won't notice much difference. Keep them as short as you can.

DO NOT CHANGE THE LENGTH OF THE MOTOR LEADS!

sundog
05-05-2011, 05:29 PM
like Dana said just make some extenions with the same gauge wires , i have done it with some of my boats were i cant get the ESC close to the batteries

I have a difference of opinion on this. If you are going to make extensions, consider doing it with the next size larger wire, and use larger connectors on the motor lead ends (keeping the original ones on the esc end). Extensions kinda suck altogether, but are sometimes necessary as we know. Staying with the same guage wire & connectors will increase resistance and cause heat and power loss. By using larger wire & connectors you will reduce/eliminate these losses. Keep it large and short is the gist of it.

Shaun78
05-05-2011, 07:29 PM
I unsoldered the leads at the bullet post and installed longer wire. You DEFINATELY need a large tip high powered iron. Im good to go

scoota
05-06-2011, 01:50 AM
I have a difference of opinion on this. If you are going to make extensions, consider doing it with the next size larger wire, and use larger connectors on the motor lead ends (keeping the original ones on the esc end). Extensions kinda suck altogether, but are sometimes necessary as we know. Staying with the same guage wire & connectors will increase resistance and cause heat and power loss. By using larger wire & connectors you will reduce/eliminate these losses. Keep it large and short is the gist of it.

even if you use 8 gauge as extensions it is choked going into the 10 gauge wires, so i disagree , its a bit like flow of water down a hose with a kink in it , yes i agree about the bigger bullets , cause the bullets are the weak link !!!

sundog
05-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Yeah, I know it doesn't sound right, but is. When I used to install solar electric systems (when they were 12v - that's showing some age there!) the copper line might be 4/0 - about the size of your little finger. And it was customary to pigtail a smaller gauge to it to fit it into the connector in the box. The wire was way large to keep resistance down (low volts=high amps) until it got to the box, then you'd treat like the smaller gauge again.