PDA

View Full Version : SV Rudder

SweetAccord
01-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Here is something that I was wondering about. Is there any advantage to sharpening the rudder on a SV? Has anyone tried this? Did you achieve anything noticeable? Seems that everything that is in contact with the water needs to be sharpened-hence the concept. :huh:

Thank you for any input!

Avanti
01-30-2008, 04:38 PM
I sharpened mine,not sure if it did anything, but you would think it would.
I also slightly rounded the trailing edge.

SweetAccord
01-31-2008, 11:33 AM
Have you or anyone ever considered to drill a pickup hole on the opposite side (left side if looking from the rear of the rudder) of the rudder to allow more water pickup? I think it would be ideal to have a pickup on both sides of the rudder. Don't see the logic why it's only on one side.

I wonder is OSE has an aftermarket one that is better, I think I remember reading somewhere they don't have anything but can't remember.

kck741
01-31-2008, 07:25 PM
I have friends that have bored the pickup hole bigger.I never have.They say it works

SweetAccord
01-31-2008, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I did too. They are right it does make a difference, and it's easy to do too!

Eyekandyboats
01-31-2008, 08:11 PM
I also slightly rounded the trailing edge.
that would be why you didn't find a advantage
things need to be SHARP!!! sharpen that back up !!!

boreing the pick up larger will increase the pressure of the water in the jacket and will cause it to leak.
it isnt the amount of water that cools the motor, it is the speed in which the water passes over it and leave to cool it off

all you did by making the hole larger was risk the chance of having the w/j leak and cause more drag

SweetAccord
01-31-2008, 08:28 PM
Thanks for your input Eyekandyboats. In more detail, my water jackets are tight-too tight. I pressure tested them with air compressor, not sure the PSI but they ain't popping off no way no how. My jackets are not like where you just side them on and can barley pull and they slide off. I can't even pull them off by hand! So no leaks here. I'm not using the ones from OSE, something different.

Anyways, the hole is not that much bigger from the original anyways. It's maybe 1-2 mm larger so it's not that much bigger. Plus when I got the SV there was metal burr covering the inlet anyways and I know that the "experts" at AQ didn't truly design it that way. Hehehehe

SweetAccord
02-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Eyekandyboats, I completely understand about the water line inlet should not be that big as then it will take more water pressure to get the water to flow through the line as more pressure is needed as the diameter is increased. The drag should not be that much anyways as I've seen other inlets on other rudders WAY bigger than what is on the SV I believe?

But it's clear that a larger diameter=more pressure needed and a smaller diameter=less pressure needed to flow.

:biggrin: