PDA

View Full Version : stock flex breaking, replacement and prevention

PDR447
05-03-2011, 03:56 PM
So I noticed that there are 3 strands of wire broken on my flex shaft right near the coupler. I'm running all stock on 4s with a prather 220 prop. So I doubt it was the prop load that broke it. I think where it happened was my strut gap was set to the manual's recommended 1mm in the beginning... ran probably 5-10 runs with that setup. That seems like the most likely cause right? Just trying to learn from this so it doesn't happen again.

Now, for a replacement what does everyone recommend? Is there a compelling reason to go with kintec or OSE over stock? The aftermarket ones are almost twice the price of the OEM replacement.

dont slow down
05-03-2011, 04:08 PM
A wire drive would solve all those problems, require less maintenance, and probably cost about the same.

LiPo Power
05-03-2011, 06:36 PM
OSE replacement is great.

PDR447
05-04-2011, 02:24 AM
but what's better about OSE vs stock? just trying to make an educated purchase.

toyotatruckin
05-04-2011, 01:06 PM
I sell shafts just haven't gotten around to the geico yet, BUT the difference would be with just about any aftermarket vs OEM is quality -plain and simple.
OEM or "stock" shafts are mass produced with minimal quality control and in a lot of cases with the RTR shafts sub-par materials used to make them.
Most guys making aftermarket shafts use good quality cable (mostly from octura) and do a 100% better job soldering them up taking time to make sure they are straight (or with-in acceptable tolerance)--what this comes down to is a better quality product that will last much longer and you should feel 100% safer putting your nice custom prop on a quality shaft.