PDA

View Full Version : Using the Castle ICE Air Series ESCS For Boating Questions

crrcboatz
05-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Rather than hijack a build thread by keithbradley in the build section, I would like to know more about using Castle's ICE series ESC series for our application.

Keith referred to using a air compatable transmitter to program the esc if you got this direction. How do you do this and can the escs tell the difference between an air 2.4g radio system and the ground version??

Also, are there any other pitfalls in this application?

I can see it would be pretty easy to waterproof the esc itself. Does any one have tips on what type sealing material to use?
I was thinking of using hot glue all the way around, then coat that with the black dip stuff used on tool handles. Any advise here would be also greatly appreciated.

tharmer
05-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Doesn't it need to stay open for air cooling?
The ESC's just see the signal from the receiver. They don't need to know anything about the radio frequency.
To use an airplane transmitter with a ground esc, you probably need a pistix. This modifies the receiver's throttle range to that the ESC can arm

crrcboatz
05-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Well I think what I would be doing is using a ground transmitter and a aerial esc which is just the opposite of the above post so do I still need a pistix? What the heck is a pistix :confused2:and where does one get such a thing?/:confused2:

sailr
05-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Ground transmitters and air transmitters have a different timing range for throttle. The best advice is for you to get a PISTIX. It changes the timing so the air ESC will react properly with the ground transmitter. Programming it with an air transmitter will NOT solve your problem.

sailr
05-03-2011, 03:00 PM
You get the pistix here:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/search.php?pg=1&stext=pistix&sprice=&stype=&scat=&sman=

crrcboatz
05-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Great info I appreciate the help on this. So for a HV setup I can use the 160 hv castle and get myself a Pistix.

Another good learning curve.:beerchug:

keithbradley
05-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Yes, use a pistix. The difference is an air tx is setup for zero throttle at the farthest back position, where a ground tx is setup for zero throttle at the central poostion. I use a tactic 2.4ghz tx that I modded to work with air escs. I made a thread on how to do it in the tips section.