PDA

View Full Version : Hifei Swordfish 120amp issues

Rotorkilla
05-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Hi guys, firstly i'd like to say hello to everyone this is my first post here and i'm hoping you can help me out with a issue i have.

I have scratch built a 32" catamaran which has a Swordfish 120amp ESC installed i finished the build a couple of weeks ago and have managed to have 2 successful runs up until this weekend with no issues.

I decided i was going to change some settings on the ESC from default voltage to 6 cell as i am running 6S setup using the USB linker which i did and after that the ESC has failed to work. I changed the setting back to default but the ESC when powered up flashes red 6 times with a beep with each flash, i have tried everything to get it working but to no avail.

I've also noticed it i connect the motor and the battery to the ESC the green light stays on but when i connect the RX the green light goes out and i get the red flashing lights. I have also tried the new software from Hifei which has made no difference, plus i read on the Hifei site that all ESC's purchased before March 2011 should use the version 3.01 software which i was using but uninstalled to try the newer software. Now i'm unable to reinstall V3.01 as i can't find it for download anywhere, it was available from the store here under the Swordfish ESC but i see they were changed 27th April 2011 to the newest version.

Does anyone know where i can get Version 3.01 and/or does anyone know what the flashing red light means, i also noticed if i connect 6 cells the red light flashed 6 times if i connect 3 cells it flashes 3 times, what does this mean. Both 3S pack are fully charged, each cell reads 4.12V.

Any ideas and thanks in advance.

Boaterguy
05-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Make sure the throttle is at the bottom, try just programming the settings you want again, the beeps are the recognition of the cell count.

Rotorkilla
05-02-2011, 07:10 PM
I use a pistol grip with trim on neutral, I did enter the settings I wanted that is when it stopped working. Now with it back on default nothing works, but when it worked I used software v3.01 when it stopped working I updated to the new version to try that but nothing still. I have a feeling if I could find v3.01 again I may get it working as I've tried everything else I can think of.

Boaterguy
05-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Try programming it with a stick radio (if you have any). not one that snaps back to center, then just push it up to full throttle, leave it there, and when acknowledged by the esc, put the throttle back, wait for response, and unplug the esc. I don't own one so i'm just shooting out options.
Edit: make sure there is ABSOLUTELY no interference while programming, even the slightest servo twitch could throw off the sequence.

Rotorkilla
05-02-2011, 07:35 PM
I have pistol grip only, though i have tried connecting battery with full throttle and reverse throttle i get a continous series of beeps but still no throttle control.

I have the motor in the hull and the ESC, battery and RX are now in my hand out of the hull, there is no steering servo connected at the moment as i know the RX works fine as i use it in another boat and the steering on this catamaran works fine.

I am going to try a seperate battery pack to RX, maybe it's some thing to do with the Swordfish BEC, also i'd still like to try software Version 3.01 if anyone knows where i can download it from now???

Boaterguy
05-02-2011, 07:39 PM
No idea

Rotorkilla
05-02-2011, 07:46 PM
No, tried seperate battery pack for RX but still the same, plus without the seperate pack the RX lights up of the power from ESC, but as the RX light goes on the ESC green light goes out and then starts flashing red, 3 flashes for 3S and 6 flashes for 6S (cell count).

Need to see if i can get old software as i'm at a dead end, i've only used the ESC twice, for 2x 3 minute runs, grr. Kinda wish i went for the Seaking ESC now, even though i thought the computer programming on the Swordfish ESC was neat and easy to use until now :(

Travis
05-03-2011, 06:30 AM
I had a similar problem with one of these. Straight from the packet it wouldn't work, just kept beeping no matter what I did. Steering servo worked but no throttle function, just beeps!Tried the usual calibration, refreshing settings with a program card etc.

Ended up taking it back to the shop, RCBOATBITZ here in OZ, he connected it to a digital program box, set the cell count to 4S and it hasn't missed a beat since.

Rotorkilla
05-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Problem fixed latest firmware supplied by OSE and Astec Models won't work with my ESC but i downloaded the Firmware for the Turnigy Aquastar 120amp which is the same ESC and the firmware is different and it works for my ESC.

Anyone with a Swordfish ESC that is having difficulties may want to try the Turnigy Aquastar 120amp firmware from Hobbyking.

sailr
05-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Did you set the throttle travel? The directions don't tell you this, but trust me, you MUST do it before programming anything! Hold the trigger at full throttle while plugging in the battery. Wait for a couple of beeps. Let the trigger go to low throttle. Couple more beeps, you're done. NOW program it.

sailr
05-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Go here and tell them your problem:

http://hifei.com/en/ly-write.asp

sailr
05-03-2011, 03:12 PM
something else to check. Is your 6S a little over voltage at full charge? This is from the Hifei website, regarding the 120ESC

The ESC is disabled when the voltage is over 26v at power-on.

Steven Vaccaro
05-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Lots of times it ends up being the throttle calibration like Jim said, but glad you worked it out.

Can you tell me the motor you are using?

sailr
05-03-2011, 03:35 PM
:banana::banana:Glad you got it solved

Rotorkilla
05-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Ye i have it hooked up to a Leopard 4065 1500kv motor, heres a link to the maiden voyage of the catamaran and also the build log i made in rcgroups:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NfBn742XVU&feature=player_embedded

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1347832

Just need to get the nose down and prop it up, i'm up to a X442 and it's still very cool temp wise, but seems to take on water at the moment, just looking into it.