PDA

View Full Version : cooling upgrade

brian6989
05-01-2011, 04:22 PM
can someone tell me where the thread on installing in hull water pick ups I thought I read about how to do it but I cant find the thread

Thanks
Brian

Rumdog
05-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Your single rudder pickup will work better than thru hull pickups

JPriami
05-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Yeah I have dual water in hull pickups in mine I installed and they work and things stay cool. But I don't like how there isn't much water flow at lower speeds. I had a dual pickup rudder on my Spartan and that had lots of flow at all speeds. Honestly I think rudders with pickups are better flow. Just wish there was a smaller dual pickup made.

brian6989
05-01-2011, 05:13 PM
crap I already ordered them jP do you think the single rudder stock pick up will work out ok im going to be running the 4074 motor and sea king esc on 6 cells

JPriami
05-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Well you can just give the stock rudder system a try and check temps.
If it's too hot then do the in hull install. My setup so far doesent go over 100 deg on the esc or motor. And that's good. I just don't like the flow at lower speeds I see coming out. Part of that might be the cooling jacket nipples on my Cc1520 water jacket. They are small ID. I ordered some others to try.

brian6989
05-01-2011, 05:32 PM
ok thanks did you do a thread on how to install the in hull pick ups I thought I read one in the spartan or mg forum that you wrote

JPriami
05-01-2011, 05:47 PM
I just showed pics on the install on the Spartan. And some pics on the MG after I installed. I found where I wanted them on the MG and centered them in the back part of sponsons. This time I tried an idea I had to use the actual pickup as a stamp. I put some water based paint on the bottom of the pickup and stamped the outside of the hull where I was to be cutting out to put them in. Also outlined it with my calipers but slightly smaller than the edge of the bottom of the pick up. Then cut that out and filed it with a small flat jewlers file till it was that exact size.
Then to mount them I placed a peice of plexiglass on the bottom of each sponson. I used some 5 min epoxy to place them in and be flush with the bottom of hull and plexiglass. But before it sets up completely you need to take the plexiglass off and clean any epoxy that seeped out with rubbing alcohol.
Then once that's set. I used PC7 two part epoxy to seal and mount them more permanently inside the hull. It's similar to JB weld. Get the long cure stuff so it has good time to fill in and bond well. You can clean and shape that with alcohol too.
Hope that helps.

brian6989
05-01-2011, 05:59 PM
wow great information....thanks again