PDA

View Full Version : Seaking 180 Possibly Blown?

Shaun78
05-01-2011, 01:13 PM
I ran 6S the other day and it was fine. Temps at capacitors were 122 and ESC was 105. I went to run today and when i plugged in the batteries nothing, I could here a little sizzle and kept trying and sometimes it beeped like normal but very faint. Could it be a loose connection maybe but if i keep the batteries plugged in a def here a little sizzle and a small odor then i unplug. I took it apart and nothing seems burnt. How can I tell? Did i maybe just blow one of the capacitors?

Alexgar
05-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Check the bec I burnt mine yesterday on 4s just kept beeping once I put a rx pack it worked so I put a external bec

Shaun78
05-01-2011, 01:35 PM
I am not using the BEC. I am running a seperate battery pack

m4a1usr
05-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Did i maybe just blow one of the capacitors?

Did you do a visual inspection? Bulging end cap or body distortion? Next take a look at the leads. Caps can go bad without any obvious external visual cues. For the home/ garage hobbyist the only way I know to verify whether a cap is good or bad, and this is only cursory, is to remove it from the circuit and measure the IR. Using the 20meg setting you will see a resistance value that will continue to increase as the cap trys to charge up. Next charge the cap using a 6s pack. Again take a resistance reading on 20meg. Your DMM should read 0 ohms. If it reads some resistance its most likely bad.

Its the "sizzle" comment that tells me you have some other issue. I never recommend running an ESC to the full rated manufacturers description for voltage. Especially the cheaper chi speedos. At least every couple weeks this same story seems to appear in threads. Then you hear about the guy running one on 7S. All that does is confuse the rules to learn to live within.

You most likely smoked the speedo because of pushing it. Whether related to voltage or amperage. Doesnt matter which did the job. So you have to ask yourself. Do I want to throw away another $100? Sooner or later it will dawn on you. I have a couple T180's that run moderate amp loads, around 100-150 amps depending on water conditions. But both only on 4S. Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

John

Shaun78
05-01-2011, 02:44 PM
I hear ya but my next choice is what? Castle ice 240?

m4a1usr
05-01-2011, 03:17 PM
I hear ya but my next choice is what? Castle ice 240?

The 8S 200 amp CC Ice may not be a bad choice. Its only a little over 200 bux. Seems to be a good drop in choice. Then there is the Etti or the SwordFish. I have run my Etti 150 on 6S and it did not smoke. But only once and not pulling more than 100 amps. Which I have also done with a CC240LV. But same circumstances. Low amperage.

With the recent threads about the Hydra HV and the Ice HV I have no solid opinion. Its too early to tell. One week I hear of a racer running one for awhile, next week I hear another where it blows up on plug in. That disturbs me. I wont be buying any for some time. Maybe Ben (fightercat) has some good news for his 200 amp speedo. I think it is rated to 8S? But he would have to give you the skinny. None of the Suppo/Himodel series I have seen looked like they would last using 6S. Good luck.

John

6sHyper
05-01-2011, 03:28 PM
The T180 can handle 6s no problem, all day long! Shaun what motor are you running and what prop and boat?? IMO the T180 is the best bang for your buck speedo on the market by far! its underrated if anything. Ive pushed one to the limits consistantly without it going, i mean i guess some people have better luck than others but i wouldn't be blaming the fact you ran it on 6s for the failure, its more than capable of handling the volts, obviously the amps could be an issue but still they handle a darn godo amount of amps!!

Shaun78
05-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Leopard 4082 1500KV on 6S. It ran fine last time and i put her away and today its crackling, i dont get it....

Shaun78
05-01-2011, 04:14 PM
I think it was version 1..doenst say version 2 like my other one does. Hmmm,do I chance it and buy a new version 2

6sHyper
05-01-2011, 04:15 PM
what prop and hull?? you have a genesis wasn't it?

Shaun78
05-01-2011, 05:37 PM
genesis with 642 prop...like I said was fine last I put her away. Plug in sometimes I hear faint bepps but also a little sizzle and faint smell of something not good.

Shaun78
05-01-2011, 05:38 PM
but the spartan was running fast. Gps was 56.6 then I put a 645 prop on and it had to be 60 or better,no gps that run..

Shaun78
05-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Well I lucked out......esc is fine....it was a bad solder connection on my ec5 connectors...soldered on a new ec5 and it's good as new........saaweeeeettttt

LarrysDrifter
05-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Well I lucked out......esc is fine....it was a bad solder connection on my ec5 connectors...soldered on a new ec5 and it's good as new........saaweeeeettttt

Sweet. Wish mine was an easy fix. I ran my 180 a few times on 6s, then sold the hull. Went to use the 180 in another hull a couple months later, and nothing. Dead as dirt. Found the BEC wires barely soldered on the board. I fixed that and nothing. I ran a RX pack and still nothing. Sucks. I ran the esc maybe 6 times total before it did this crap.

dano1
05-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Good to hear shaun, didnt think i sold ya a lemon, keep in mind that boat is far from stock and they put a tremendous amount of power thru the electrical systems, with power comes grief...it goes with anything. I ran my kos today after a piano wire set up and alot of other goodies, made 3 runs at good speeds and burnt up a motor, no.....it wasnt over powered, its electrical and electric does some strange things sometimes, now im tearing it down and putting in (top gun) secret motors, shooting for 65 with 7 minutes run times. Putting in big blocks, lol:tape:

6sHyper
05-01-2011, 11:10 PM
i would highly recommend switching out those ec5 connectors for some bullets, 5.5-8mm

Shaun78
05-02-2011, 06:14 AM
i have alot of EC5's but if i have anymore issues then maybe i will switch...

Shaun78
05-02-2011, 06:15 AM
Like u said Dan, NO way i got a lemon from you. ITS AWESOME but u know S%$& Happens. I might order a mnew one anyways (for a spare)

scoota
05-02-2011, 06:30 AM
Guys disconnect the BEC , i have 3 of these ESCs & i never run the bec on 4s or 6s, i have them in boats drawing 200+ AMPs & never had an issue . Well apart from the LVC which we all know about ...

Bigbore
05-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Guys disconnect the BEC , i have 3 of these ESCs & i never run the bec on 4s or 6s, i have them in boats drawing 200+ AMPs & never had an issue . Well apart from the LVC which we all know about ...

Could you explain something about the LVC?
I've been using the Seaking 180A ESC on 5S with external BEC from a couple of month and I have the feeling that my ESC cut the power at 50% (LVC) above of 3.2V as programmed.

scoota
05-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Could you explain something about the LVC?
I've been using the Seaking 180A ESC on 5S with external BEC from a couple of month and I have the feeling that my ESC cut the power at 50% (LVC) above of 3.2V as programmed.

At 3.2 volts it was cutting in to early , i have found setting it at 2.8 volts on my high draw set ups my batteries were coming back with a 1000 mah left in them , i have read a lot of people have been turning off the LVC to over come this issue , or you can run a external LVC .