PDA

View Full Version : Turnigy ESC Programming

ksaucerman
04-30-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm trying to program my turnigy 180 amp esc and the programming card stops after setting 4 and returns to 1. On the face of the card it says advance setting and goes from 5-12 do I not use these setting or is my card messed up. Also what should the start mode (Punch) be set at. For fastest I'm assuming the higher the better for speed. The face of the card says goes up to 9 but my display only goes to 8 and returns to 1?
Thanks

Diesel6401
04-30-2011, 09:22 PM
I'm trying to program my turnigy 180 amp esc and the programming card stops after setting 4 and returns to 1. On the face of the card it says advance setting and goes from 5-12 do I not use these setting or is my card messed up. Also what should the start mode (Punch) be set at. For fastest I'm assuming the higher the better for speed. The face of the card says goes up to 9 but my display only goes to 8 and returns to 1?
Thanks

The programming card you have has a Car esc numbering system. Completly ignore those numbers. The programming card is the same for the car and boats but the sticker on the front is different, the programmable functions lay inside the esc, the card just quickly accesses them. What you have to do is look in the manual and you will see the setup sheet for boat escs which there is only 4 programmable functions. What i did was cut the chart out the manual and tape it to the program box lol.

Dark Black indicates default setting:
The 180 uses note 1 on the lipo cells (don't use the auto calculate function, works like crap):

Note1: The parameters in this line is available for Normal Voltage ESC (2 to 6 cells lipo)
Note2: The parameters in this line is available for High Voltage ESC (5 to 12 cells lipo)

ksaucerman
04-30-2011, 09:38 PM
Thank you that makes sense. Does more timing equal more speed. Or should I put it at 11.25 like it says for 4s.

Diesel6401
04-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Thank you that makes sense. Does more timing equal more speed. Or should I put it at 11.25 like it says for 4s.

No. It doesn't timing its relative to the wind type of your motor. Delta winds like lower timing, Wye winds are slightly higher timing, also relavent is the number of poles. Which motor are you using this on, the stocker?

ksaucerman
04-30-2011, 09:49 PM
I'm using the Feigao 540 8xl 2048 rpm/volt and running 4s with a m445 prop.

Diesel6401
04-30-2011, 09:53 PM
I'm using the Feigao 540 8xl 2048 rpm/volt and running 4s with a m445 prop.

Use 7.5 timing

ksaucerman
04-30-2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks for your help.

ksaucerman
05-01-2011, 05:27 PM
I just ran today and the low voltage kept kicking in had it set at 3.2 for 4s. It would start out at full power for about 1second and then go to 50%. Batteries were fully charged. I shut off the protection and it ran great. Any suggestions

TheShaughnessy
05-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Use 7.5 timing

I have two 120s matched with a pb 1500kv motor and a UL1 motor. I was told to set both of those at one below 15, which i'm pretty sure is 12.5. Can anyone confirm this?

Diesel6401
05-01-2011, 08:49 PM
I just ran today and the low voltage kept kicking in had it set at 3.2 for 4s. It would start out at full power for about 1second and then go to 50%. Batteries were fully charged. I shut off the protection and it ran great. Any suggestions

Make sure you are not running the cell count at auto detect. This sounds like that is what happened but I could be wrong. I would reprogram and verify you manually set the cell count at 4 cell and not use auto detect. Turn the lvc back on and set to 3.2 try that.

I have two 120s matched with a pb 1500kv motor and a UL1 motor. I was told to set both of those at one below 15, which i'm pretty sure is 12.5. Can anyone confirm this?

1 level below 15* is 11.25. The stock ul1 esc is set at 10*, 11.25 would be a good setting for that motor. I am not sure the stock PB esc setting, however 11.25 would be a fine match for that as well. There are guys running the stock pb motor with ul1 esc's with no issues that I know off.

ksaucerman
05-01-2011, 10:12 PM
I re-programmed multiple times everytime i had it set at 4cell and 3.2 low voltage kicked in immediatly. When I set it at auto and turned low voltage off it ran perfectly. When I recharged batteries the charger said they still had 3.4v in each cell. It was obvious when the batteries were low and i just brought it in. Am i risking it running like this or should I turn down the low voltage to 2.8 or 3.0. Dont know what the lowest you can run the 2cell lipos without ruining them?

Gordie M
05-04-2011, 04:09 AM
Diesel, I've just ordered the SK 180 and card plus some batteires to run 5s. But I also want to run my 4s batteries.

Why don't you recommend the auto cell count detect function? If I set it to a specific cell count, say 5s, would I have to reprogramme ESC to also run 4s?

Also do you recommend disabling the BEC on this ESC running 5s.

Boat has stock motor, 5.5 castle bullet connection everywhere, s/b x642 prop and offset kintec rudder bracket, has been running 2x 2s TP G4 45C 6500mah batteries - goes like a champ and super reliable, nothing more than warm after a full run.

I'm just ready for more speed..... as you do....

cheers

Gordie

maxmekker
05-04-2011, 04:57 AM
Gordie:
would I have to reprogramme ESC to also run 4s?

Max: I would guess so.

I have run my 180 ( and turnigy 1600 kv) in auto lipo mode since last fall, running 4s and 5s in my S Crusher. Running sep rx pack. No issue at all ore heat.(prather 215 prop)
Only sometimes, I get a brief(one sec) studder,but it sounds more like out of range to me than anything with the esc. The SC hull is not the most water tight hull,and running an old fm Futaba(prob 10+ years) in those damp conditions is maybe not the best.:-)

Max: It's recommended all the way

Diesel6401
05-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Diesel, I've just ordered the SK 180 and card plus some batteires to run 5s. But I also want to run my 4s batteries.

Why don't you recommend the auto cell count detect function? If I set it to a specific cell count, say 5s, would I have to reprogramme ESC to also run 4s?

Boat has stock motor, 5.5 castle bullet connection everywhere, s/b x642 prop and offset kintec rudder bracket, has been running 2x 2s TP G4 45C 6500mah batteries - goes like a champ and super reliable, nothing more than warm after a full run.

I'm just ready for more speed..... as you do....

cheers

Gordie

I do not recommend using the auto cell count, it is terrible and leads to issues. Yes you would have to reprogram each count. With the program card that takes all of 2 secs.
Myself as well as numerous other people have had issues with the lvc prematurely kicking in with the auto detect mode. That goes with the seaking 120 and 180 esc's. I would also recommend dis-ableing the bec on 5s.

Diesel6401
05-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Gordie:
would I have to reprogramme ESC to also run 4s?

Max: I would guess so.

I have run my 180 ( and turnigy 1600 kv) in auto lipo mode since last fall, running 4s and 5s in my S Crusher. Running sep rx pack. No issue at all ore heat.(prather 215 prop)
Only sometimes, I get a brief(one sec) studder,but it sounds more like out of range to me than anything with the esc. The SC hull is not the most water tight hull,and running an old fm Futaba(prob 10+ years) in those damp conditions is maybe not the best.:-)

Max: It's recommended all the way

Stop using the auto detect and see if the problem goes away.

maxmekker
05-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Diesel, I knew you would say so, hehe. Will try it out. :thumbup1:

ksaucerman
05-14-2011, 02:14 AM
What timing do use on a leopard 4074 2150?

Gordie M
05-20-2011, 05:11 AM
My SK 180 finally arrived today :thumbup1:

Couple of questions:

The caps have clear shrink wrap, do I leave it on or remove?

Whats the best timing with the stock motor and 5 cells. 11.25 or 15?

To disable BEC I pull the middle wire and can do that on a short extn lead into receiver to keep the main lead on the ESC original - am I correct?

thanks

Gordie.