PDA

View Full Version : Cooling mods done, fingers crossed! (pics)

Checkmateguy01
04-30-2011, 11:36 AM
I've choose to leave my Spartan stock for the time being, motor and ESC. I don't plan to change them out until i have too. But, i have upgraded the cooling system with the hopes that the motor/esc will last all season with out any problems just running on 7-cell NIMH's and maybe 4S if i get some Lipo's. What you see in the boat will more than likely be what i run the boat on all the time, DTX5000 7-cells. So, i added 2 transom water pick ups and put in all new 3mm plumbing. I'm not even gonna bother with the rudder pick-up! I also put a new aluminum jacket on the motor. I like this particular motor jacket becuase it really covers the majority of the motor, unlike the stocker, but i did have to notch it out on the one end to clear the wires for the thermal cut-off. I think this set-up maybe a bit overkill, but that's much better than stock!! Also, i've got a good sharpend octura X442 on the back, i think that should help the speed a little bit. Hopefully it works, again i bought this boat specifically for it's size and never had any intensions of running 50+ mph with it, i should get it in the water real soon!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/CheckmateFever/spartan91.jpg?t=1304177556

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/CheckmateFever/spartan92.jpg?t=1304177556

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/CheckmateFever/spartan93.jpg?t=1304177556

dag-nabit
04-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Looks like you have it done up right :thumbup1:

I hope you are fortunate and have components that will last. Running on Nimh or 4S is going to help, but unfortunately Traxxas has failed to inspire confidence.

Kevin

Rcforever27
04-30-2011, 12:17 PM
Nice setup! I love the cooling jacket looks like its good quality! Happy boating!

Checkmateguy01
04-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Looks like you have it done up right :thumbup1:

I hope you are fortunate and have components that will last. Running on Nimh or 4S is going to help, but unfortunately Traxxas has failed to inspire confidence.

Kevin

Tell me about it!! I don't have much faith in Traxxas any more myself. I was all set to buy a T-Maxx nitro truck but i've put that off for a little bit, not sure if i want any more Traxxas stuff or not. You see, i bought the Spartan way back almost a year ago when the pre-orders first started and the boat was due out last May, which didn't happen of course. Thinking it was gonna be a great boat i didn't bother canceling my pre-order but then ended up waiting till Christmas Eve for it to finally arrive. If i knew THEN what we all know NOW, i would not have bought the Spartan plain and simple. But i have it now, i'm gonna try to make the best of it, and on the lake i run my boats on, 30-35 mph is gonna be plenty. And if it does last for a while i'll be happy.

roadrashracing
04-30-2011, 07:26 PM
I posted something, where did it go?:huh: Anyway, where did you get the cooling jacket from, let me know what kind of speeds you get with the seven cells, I was able to get around 26 mph. I have had 15 runs and not have no problems except a servo go bad, but I got a new one from traxxas.

Checkmateguy01
05-01-2011, 07:15 PM
I posted something, where did it go?:huh: Anyway, where did you get the cooling jacket from, let me know what kind of speeds you get with the seven cells, I was able to get around 26 mph. I have had 15 runs and not have no problems except a servo go bad, but I got a new one from traxxas.

I got the cooling jacket from Kintec Racing, but they also have the exact same one right here at OSE. It's an aluminum 540 XL jacket 60 mm long, it just fits the Traxxas motor with the thermal cut off unit on the side. Like i said, i did have to notch out that end of the jacket to clear the wires for the thermal cut off. Glad to hear to hear you are having decent luck with your boat running stock, gives me a little more confidence that maybe mine will hold up for the season. I have a GPS unit so i'll be able to get some speed numbers, i'm really hoping with the DTX batt's, a good prop and propper set-up i will see or exceed 30mph, i think it's possible!

JPriami
05-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Thats really sharp looking and a nice job doing it. :thumbup1:

Brushless55
05-03-2011, 12:37 AM
I posted something, where did it go? :huh: Anyway, where did you get the cooling jacket from, let me know what kind of speeds you get with the seven cells, I was able to get around 26 mph. I have had 15 runs and not have no problems except a servo go bad, but I got a new one from traxxas.

tell me about it :doh: