PDA

View Full Version : Blown esc, any cleaning tips ?

ksaucerman
04-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Well I finally did it ran 5s stock esc, stock motor with M445. Was really fast for two laps then stopped and blew up two times. Lots of smoke. I didn't care about the esc because I have a 180amp coming but I didn't count on the mess it made inside. Any suggestions for cleaning all the black sticky stuff inside the hull and the black stuff on the outside paint. Also whatever holds in the battery trays melted what do i re-attach those to the hull with.

Fluid
04-28-2011, 09:50 PM
Denatured alcohol is the safest method as it will not damage most plastics unlike oven cleaner, and it doesn't stink as bad as some other chemicals. Get a pint bottle and a lot of rags, then get to work. Use lots of the alcohol and toss the rags often.

Meniscus
04-28-2011, 10:04 PM
Agreed. Once the cleaning is done, I personally use some hunting scent elimination spray. There's different kinds, but the ones that say silver ion work the best. If you don't have any, let me know and I'll send you some.

ksaucerman
04-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the tips got most the black out with alcohol some areas I can't reach but it still stinks real bad will try the hunting scent not sure what it is. Can i get it at a sporting good store?

Meniscus
04-29-2011, 12:37 AM
What I use is this: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS282&q=silver+hunting+spray&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=16043123936701289575&sa=X&ei=Tj-6TcvCPMyhtwfAtt2xAQ&ved=0CDYQ8wIwBA#

There are others. You can find these products in most sporting good stores and Walmart.

Boomer
04-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Well I finally did it ran 5s stock esc, stock motor with M445. Was really fast for two laps then stopped and blew up two times. Lots of smoke. I didn't care about the esc because I have a 180amp coming but I didn't count on the mess it made inside. Any suggestions for cleaning all the black sticky stuff inside the hull and the black stuff on the outside paint. Also whatever holds in the battery trays melted what do i re-attach those to the hull with.

Ksaucerman,
That smell is really something. I have had the same experience so I thought I'd share my method of cleaning up the smoke capture inside and the smell. I stripped everything out of the boat, including the floatation foam under the bow. It retains a lot of the smell. I relaced it with a new piece of foam. Once everything out of the boat I washed it over and over in hot soapy water. Then I used a box of "arm and hammer" baking powder - Just poured in the hull, sprayed it with water and let it sit for a day or two. Rised in out, the flushed the hull with white vinegar. Each step reduced the smell to a degree.

I used "Soft Scubb" and small pieces of those sponges with the abrasive on one side to get food off a dish, to remove the smoke stains. The stains hold in the smell so the more you get off the more you reduce the smell. I switched from the SoftScubb to a bathroom/kitchen bowl - sink cleaner by Clorox. It did the trick. The bleach takes away about 95% of the smell and is mild enough not to harm the finish of the boat.

Be sure you use good rubber gloves or your hands will pay a price! After the first four or five washings with this stuff, I'd leave the boat outside with the hatch off just to let nature help out.

To finish it off I found a chemical on line, a bioside bug liquid that eats ordor and sprayed that in side, let it dry, rinse it a coulpe of times and no more smell. It wasn't hard work, but took some time, and finger power to get her done, but the boat is just like new and no smell.

Boomer

ksaucerman
05-01-2011, 01:10 AM
Thanks for your cleaning tips. Did you also remove the battery trays and the wood that holds all the electronics.

Boomer
05-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Nope. I used a tooth brush to get under the battery trays. There was just a small burn mark under the one end of the ESC, so I sanded it down, and refinished it with a tinted marine varnish to match the old finish. Can't even tell it ever happened. Some are not so lucky.

If yours is badly burned, you can opt to remove the wood, which takes a little work, or leave it in and cover by using a thin piece of polished SS or tin and cutting it to shape. Whatever metal it is, you can find it at your local hobbyshop. I don't remember what type metal it is but I got the one I may use at Hobby People.

I still might do that because it would look nice. The wood does provide a protective barrier to the fiberglass hull.
I have seen ESCs that have burned through the hull and/or melted part of it. I think the wood helped save your boat. Mine too. One man's opinion

Boomer