PDA

View Full Version : upgraded connecties getting hot on a stock miss geico

PDR447
04-28-2011, 12:20 AM
*connectors. Stupid phone auto-correct

I have a fairly stock miss geico. The only upgrade is a prather s220 prop. Running 4s. I've swapped the batteries to ec5s and the motor/esc to 5.5s. This should be overkill for this boat but I'm still getting pretty high temps from the connectors. 100-110f. Does this mean I did a poor job soldering?

Thanks for any input.

BHChieftain
04-28-2011, 01:09 AM
*connectors. Stupid phone auto-correct

I have a fairly stock miss geico. The only upgrade is a prather s220 prop. Running 4s. I've swapped the batteries to ec5s and the motor/esc to 5.5s. This should be overkill for this boat but I'm still getting pretty high temps from the connectors. 100-110f. Does this mean I did a poor job soldering?

Thanks for any input.

I have a theory which could be wrong...

I was running a proboat fastech, and when I switched from nimhs to lipos the small connectors between the ESC and motor got so hot that they became unsoldered. The wires between the ESC and motor were also really hot.

So I upgraded to massive 6mm bullets. The wires were cool, but the connectors themselves still got pretty hot (but not enough to de-solder) I think these big connectors were acting as heat sinks. I figured as long as the wires themselves stayed cool I shouldn't worry about it.

Chief

Accordnut
04-28-2011, 01:13 AM
I should say that's not bad I went from 146f on deans to 110f on 6mm bullets on 4s.

TheShaughnessy
04-28-2011, 02:08 PM
normal

sundog
04-29-2011, 12:20 AM
I believe whenever you get heat at a connector, you are losing power as heat - due to resistance. You want as low resistance as you can get. If they are cool, then the connector has matched the conductivity of the wire itself (no losses). Long wires can have high resistance. I've switched to 8mm connectors for my 5000mah lipos and 70A & larger esc's, and am in the process of swapping my Deans to EC5's. Wasn't expensive or difficult (did need to buy a bigger soldering gun), and things stay cool. 8mm is about the size of a pencil eraser.

PDR447
04-29-2011, 12:40 AM
OK, so what's considered too hot for connectors?