PDA

View Full Version : 5s Test Results

wppracing
04-27-2011, 06:15 AM
Tested my 5s set up yesterday and was pleased. The water conditions werent great, alot of wind and chop. But there were times the wind stopped and you could make a short run. I first ran it slow ,on and off throttle, then got into it. Ran 46.8 mph. I couldnt make any long runs yet. BUT while running the boat it stopped. Steering worked, no throttle.
Had to get my BJ26 and push it back to shore. Checked the ECS, motor and both were cool and no smoke. Checked the batteries and voltage was 7.4 (2s) and 10.1 (3s). Could the high voltage cut off kicked in ? I thought you would still have some pwr to return to shore. Or did the ESC take a dump? Got home and installed new batteries and seems ok. Put new batteries in the controller and charged RX pack. Might try again today.
I have a new 180a ESC coming today or tomorrow.

My set up is :
stock motor
stock ESC with bec removed
external RX pack
5.5 bullet connectors
5s batteries, 7.4v 40c 5000mah, 11.1v 40c 5000mah
balanced,polished,sharpened GrimRacer 42/55 prop
trued hull
Offset rudder
46.8mph

What is an average run time ?

Darin Jordan
04-27-2011, 08:23 AM
Steering worked, no throttle.
Had to get my BJ26 and push it back to shore. Checked the ECS, motor and both were cool and no smoke. Checked the batteries and voltage was 7.4 (2s) and 10.1 (3s). Could the high voltage cut off kicked in ?

Check to make sure the connectors on the ESC are still soldered to the wires...

The stock 3.5mm contacts have a ton resistance, and build up heat quickly. Enough heat to melt the solder. Sometimes, they will cool back down and reconnect to the contact somewhat.

It is ALWAYS a good idea to remove the stock 3.5mm contacts and replace them with some quality 5.5mm or larger. They "sink" more heat and will keep the solder from melting off.

wppracing
04-27-2011, 08:26 AM
forgot to add that all connections are with 5.5 bullets

Darin Jordan
04-27-2011, 08:32 AM
forgot to add that all connections are with 5.5 bullets

"Information that might have been I might have been told YESTERDAY!!" :doh: :rofl:

There are two cutoffs in these ESCs... a "slow down" cutoff, and a hard cutoff. Doesn't sound like you ran it long enough to make cutoff V though, especially if on 5S...

Hmmmm.... I did have a 45A PB ESC a couple of years ago that would run great for 3 laps, then just shutoff... Would get the boat, test it, it seemed fine, so I'd go out again... same deal. Not ever sure WHY. Just replaced it and moved on.

Try it again and let us know...

evelio
04-27-2011, 09:55 AM
I have 2 mg and one of them shut down on me to i waited for a wild in just when i was about to jump in the water to get it try one more time and it came on anyone knows why they do that an try the other one and after 20 mins it stop two but would hit the throttle and she would move and cut off fast so i play with the throttle til i got mg back to land so i know 2 mg cant be messed up

lectriglide
04-27-2011, 01:57 PM
I have 2 mg and one of them shut down on me to i waited for a wild in just when i was about to jump in the water to get it try one more time and it came on anyone knows why they do that an try the other one and after 20 mins it stop two but would hit the throttle and she would move and cut off fast so i play with the throttle til i got mg back to land so i know 2 mg cant be messed up

See Darin's post #2 above. It sounds like that (melted solder joint) is what happened with MG#1. MG #2 hit the low voltage cut-off and allowed you to "putt" back to shore.

WP - came back to this after an interruption, sorry about jacking your thread.

evelio
04-27-2011, 05:27 PM
so what your saying is change the connection from the motor and the ESC

jac4412
04-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Yes absolutely. Again, if you read my website and this website... the key to the system is current flow. Under certain conditions resistance will be increased =more heat. Under your system we suspect that the 3.5 connectors are causing too much resistance because your system is requiring alot of current flow, which those connectors cannot handle. Therefore they are actually getting so hot the solder is melting, then resoldering itself. Try the 5.5 bullets which will greatly reduce the resistance at those connections.

pyroM!KE
04-27-2011, 06:09 PM
Ive warned ppl here about running on 5s...When I tried it, i had 5.5 bullets all around, external rx pack, and mine just quit..No smoke or swollen caps..Its just plain quit..And this was on the very first run..
You might as well be looking for a new 120 or 180 esc..Just sayn..

wppracing
04-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Tested the boat again and it ran fine. The weather was alittle windy but the water seemed ok. Ran 46.7mph, switched to a X642 and new batteries. Made 2 runs and on the last run back the wind came fast and the boat flipped about 4 times and then it was floating upside down. By the time I got it back to sure the canopy, lid and GPS were gone. The canopy was held on with locking pins and tape. There was some of the canopy still attached.

I already have another canopy coming on Friday, got my new 180a esc. What is worse, I had my sons BJ26 to push the Geico back but I dropped his transmitter in the water and it went dead. That god for a long stick I found. Dried out his items and his boat runs fine. Mine is in dry dock for a while.....

evelio
04-27-2011, 11:06 PM
wow guys thanks for the advice i check mg1 and just like yall said the wires to the motor was burned half way the other one is fine so im have to go in gets some 5.5 connectors but do yall think the motor should be fine or should i call horizon hobby for a new one thank yall for everything

ksaucerman
04-27-2011, 11:26 PM
I run mine all the time with stock esc, 5s, and x642. Sometimes it will make it all the way through a run without cutting out and sometimes if i hammer it to full throttle instead of gradual throttle it will stop. I wait about 10 seconds and then it will start back up, never gets hot I think it is just the high voltage cutoff.

lectriglide
04-29-2011, 12:47 AM
wp sorry about your misfortune. I double bag my GPS and put a small piece of pool noodle in the bag just in case. As you found out, a 45 - 50 mph crash can be pretty violent, rip off tape and hatches and toss stuff around pretty good. Had my DF29 turn into a boomerang once on a wide open run when I stuffed it. Came out of the water at about a 45 degree angle and flew 15 feet easy.

wppracing
04-29-2011, 05:21 AM
The boat is ready to run. I lowered the strut a 1/16th to bring the nose down some. Had a spare canopy that was cracked, so its now repaired and installed.
I have ordered some new canopys and lids but Horizon Hobby has them on
back order.I will have them by memorial day weekend. So for the time I only can use the canopy to seal the boat. TAPED alot and with latch pins. Just have to watch the wind and water condiotion. New GPS also.

ron1950
04-29-2011, 10:38 AM
i tape the tupperware hatch also along the sides and that seems to really keep it tight...i also tape the outer hatch ...... remember when garmin says water resistant...they dont mean it will float...lol....i know of several in the rez where i run, one being mine, infact they sink faster then rocks,,,lol