PDA

View Full Version : Junker Tunnel build...

HOTWATER
04-25-2011, 06:52 PM
This is a tunnel that I ordered from Shawn Junker at the end of last year...it is a Vision Craft tunnel that was meant to be set up as a nitro...but after reading through Cat-Boi's build thread (with help from Kris Flynn), I had to build one....

It will be used for P-Spec Racing (I know, P-Limited...as Doug Smock puts it) and I will be using the UL-1 ESC/ motor combo with a 4S 5000 pack, an OS lower end w/ Kris Flynn's conversion adapter and flex.

I will be posting my pics of the build but won't be getting into detail as this (as I already mentioned) was done before by Cat-Boi.....Just thought I would share the build here...

Comments welcome!

Thanks for looking!

-Kent

HOTWATER
04-25-2011, 06:57 PM
...Cutting out the cowling and mocking up parts (yes, beer was needed for the hotknife cutout....lol!)....

dana
04-25-2011, 06:57 PM
i like it. Where can i find one? and thank you for the flex cable bud! works mint \m/

HOTWATER
04-25-2011, 07:01 PM
...now starting to see things taking shape.....I love G-10 (Garolite) material!! It was a useful tip picked up from Don Ferrette..........

HOTWATER
04-25-2011, 07:03 PM
...4-40 pushrods assembled....getting there! CofG is between 27% and 28%...right where I want to be!!

HOTWATER
04-25-2011, 07:04 PM
i like it. Where can i find one? and thank you for the flex cable bud! works mint \m/

You got it bro! You can get his info on International Waters Forums...I don't think he's a member on here.

---> http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=34118

I will see if it's ok to give out his #....

Maryland FE
04-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Kent,

Nice work..!!! Boat looks great. Can't wait to see it run.

Pete

Doug Smock
04-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Looking good sir!!!

Doug

HOTWATER
04-25-2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks guys! More pics of the final steps coming soon....

Chilli
04-25-2011, 10:59 PM
Nice Job Bro!!:thumbup:

egneg
04-26-2011, 04:40 AM
Looks great Kent.

bbill1
04-26-2011, 07:05 AM
Good build!

Jeff Westbrook here in the Tampa area runs a vision built very similar to yours. It is very fast. 50-52 in heat race trim.

Now, if I can just get a few more people around here to build some...

cybercrxt
04-26-2011, 08:37 AM
Looks great Kent. I didn't see this thread till this morning! Great luck to you! Mike

HOTWATER
04-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Thanks Chilli, Chuck,bbill1 and Mike L.! Turned out better than I expected (and some things were more time consuming than expected too..lol!)

Mike L. ....I am going with your tube setup (for ESC wires) on top of the rear section of the cowling...1 tube for all three wires. I was going to run it through the rear cowl bulkhead, but I would have to re-route a bunch of things to have made that work out (way to many things to explain there). It's gonna be much easier this way...
I'm hoping it will keep up with your ML Boatworks PS295 tunnels on race day! Those have got to be nicest tunnels going right now bro!! Congrats on all your efforts and acheivements with them! :buttrock:

again...thanks for the kind words guys!... you guys rock! :smile:

cybercrxt
04-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Kent, I cannot accept credit for something I was not first doing. I have said to another that talked about the tube idea being mine, that is was Kris Flynn who first showed me the way of the walk. Thank you for the kind words with the PS295, that was also a joint effort with Dick Loeb and myself. Your Vision will do just fine because it is a very quality hull and has been doing really good as of late. Should be a very very good year of P-limited tunnels in our area. Lots of good boats are being put together, which makes me smile :)

HOTWATER
04-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Well, thanks Kris for showing Mike "the way of the walk"...i'm just happy that there are people like you guys on here to show ME "the way of the walk"...lol! You guys are awesome! :hug1:

Ok...so here's some more pics....Bulkhead for the cowling and "the walk"...ESC poop pipe...Man, I hated to cut that out......but it works!!! :banana:

eagle1
04-28-2011, 12:04 AM
Nice looking tunnel, I like to see in a vid of it screeming. I have a prather that i'm thinking of converting to electric. How do I get one of the adapter? Keep up the good work.

HOTWATER
04-28-2011, 06:55 PM
Thanks! You can get Hyperformance adapters right here from OSE. The last I heard was that Kris Flynn was out of adapters (he only makes them for OS lower ends BTW)...the Hyperformance adapters will work just the same....

-Kent

eagle1
04-28-2011, 07:54 PM
OK I found it, I have both the K+B and OS did you have to add or cut anything. I know you don't have ose type, but I hate to get the os or the k+b and have to invent the wheel again to make it work. Thanks for the help.
Semper Fi

bettaman
04-28-2011, 07:54 PM
This might be a dumb question but are motors ok if they get a bit wet?

Boaterguy
04-28-2011, 08:02 PM
They should be fine, As long as it doesn't penetrate the coils and cause a short, or corrode something. Just try not to run it underwater, well, don't do that with anything.
In the long run, Yeah, a splash or two is fine, might want to put a cover on an outboard so it's not getting splashed consistently.

Chilli
04-28-2011, 08:19 PM
OK I found it, I have both the K+B and OS did you have to add or cut anything. I know you don't have ose type, but I hate to get the os or the k+b and have to invent the wheel again to make it work. Thanks for the help.
Semper Fi

Hyperformance had a few problems with the OS coversion when it first came out. They've got it squared away now. The stock OS flex doesn't work too well with the conversions. It's a little too short and the squared ends are a little too loose. So make sure you get a few flex shafts when you order the conversion.

bettaman: I've totally submergered my tunnel (fresh water) several times and it came up running. Just try to blow it dry it as best you can, give it a shot of WD40 or Corrosion X and relube the bearings.

HOTWATER
04-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks bro...you took the words right out of my mouth (or typing right out of my fingers!) What an awesome FE Director we have in D-12!!

Thanks to Boaterguy as well!

Here is the Hyperformance Link, just incase Steven (OSE) is out of anything for the conversion...

---> http://hyperprod.bizhosting.com/3_5_outboard_cable.html

-Kent

Chilli
04-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Luis is in Carolina, We've got to sink a hook in him and get him racing with us. LOL

I've got your awsome FE director right here.:moon::laugh:

I've got your fin all boxed up. It will go in the mail to Chuck tomorrow.

HOTWATER
04-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Luis....come racing with us! Come to.................. THE DARK SIDE ....:spy: Also, welcome to the OSE forums! Lots of good guys on here!

Chilli, thanks for getting that out to Chuck....:moon:.....:tiphat:

egneg
04-29-2011, 01:15 AM
:banana::banana::banana:

HOTWATER
04-29-2011, 07:26 PM
No problem Chuck...Just send it back to me (PM me for my addy) when you're done with it...no big hurry...

eagle1
04-29-2011, 11:45 PM
Nautiboyz and Hotwater I'm really thinking about getting something together to race with. I just need to bite the bullet and commit. I love this part of the hobby, the boats are a blast to run. I went down to Florida to see my father in law that's sick and I did a recon on the boat seen and its crazy. Saw some nice boats runny nothing like what I have (RTR). When and were is your next run I'll see if the wife will give me a pit pass to go see the dart side!
Luis
Semper Fi

Chilli
04-29-2011, 11:56 PM
IMPBA District 12 covers DE, MD, DC VA and NC. We have five district races a year. Three of them are pretty far from you in the DC, Baltimore area. We also have a race in Greensboro this year the weekend of May 21st and one in Chesapeake, VA (south of Norfolk) on the last weekend in August. The big FE turnout was the Cheasapeake race last year. All you have to do to race is join the IMPBA. If you want to attend a race and try it out, you can race any boat in the novice class except for riggers. You just want to make sure you can run at least 3 minutes none stop. If you decide you want to continue to race, we'll guide you through the available classes. What part of Carolina are you located??

eagle1
04-30-2011, 12:06 AM
I'm right on the coast north of wilmington nc. You said any boat in novice class other then rigger what are they running in the novice class as far as mono and hydros.

HOTWATER
05-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Anything except riggers (Miss Geico, Ul-1, SV27).....all the way up to gas sized boats.

eagle1
05-02-2011, 12:12 AM
Ok thanks hotwater I must have gotten snake eye because I don't own not one of those models. Can it be modded at all,or must it be stock.

HOTWATER
05-02-2011, 12:29 AM
Those are just some examples. I'm pretty sure it is a "run what you brung" type of deal with novice class...stock or modded.

Chilli should be able to give you some concrete answers....

eagle1
05-02-2011, 12:34 AM
Thanks I still have to get my act together. I'm spread loaded every were with rtr boats.
Semper Fi

Chilli
05-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Luis, Moded boats are fine in the novice class in IMPBA D12 which NC falls under. The three areas where racing occurs that is closest to Wilminton is Greensboro, Chesapeake, VA and Charleston, SC. It looks like Charleston is the closest but SC is in D13. So if you want to race there, you have to contact that club to see what they offer. Either way, all you have to do is join the IMPBA and you can race where every you want. Feel free to contact me or post in the D12 racing threads on OSE any time. PM D.Smock who is the D13 FE director if you need any info for D13.

eagle1
05-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Good to go. I like Greensboro, Charleston is an assume city with lots of history. I almost went to Chesapeake for an off road nitro race. As for the rtr boats I cant bring myself to accept the thought of showing up at a race with apocket knife . I have to get something. Hotwater any vids yet of the tunnel. I bought the mount today for the ob. Cant wait to hook it up!
Semper Fi

HOTWATER
05-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Cool man! No vids of the tunnel...It will see water soon...i'll keep you posted...

Maryland FE
05-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Can't wait to see it run, bro.

HOTWATER
05-05-2011, 04:09 PM
:thumbup1:Yes sir! Just ordered some adhesive lined shrink tubing to seal the brass tubing/ ESC wires.... Did not find any locally...

eagle1
05-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Good deal post some picture of that shrink stuff. I'll need some here in the future:thumbup1:

HOTWATER
05-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Good deal post some picture of that shrink stuff. I'll need some here in the future:thumbup1:

Here's where I found some:

http://shop.genuinedealz.com/Items/gim-hs3a-050-bk?sck=14614821&caSKU=gim-hs3a-050-bk&caTitle=1/2%20in%20Adhesive%20Lined%20Heat%20Shrink%20Tubing %20-%20%24/ft%20Black

Free shipping!

eagle1
05-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Just what i was looking for thanks.
Semper Fi

Chilli
05-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Hey Guys, I don't use the adhesive shrink but I do spooge some clear silicon into the motor wire bundle and shrink it on to the brass tube while it's wet. It keeps water from entering through the gap between the wires. I also recommend you replace the 4mm Aquacraft bullets with higher quality ones.

HOTWATER
05-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Yep...sillicone will be used to initially seal the wires coming out of the tube, then shrink. I may switch to 5.5 bullets...thanks bro...

egneg
05-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Been working on the Lynx Kent ... get ready!

Chilli
05-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Hey Chuck, with the reservoir so high, will the oil push down the tubing and up into the motor???

PS- She looks schweeeet!!!

egneg
05-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Hey Chuck, with the reservoir so high, will the oil push down the tubing and up into the motor???

It doesn't hold enough to do that.

Thanks for the compliment.

eagle1
05-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Nice tunnel I heard thoes lyxn are bad ass.
Semper Fi

HOTWATER
05-08-2011, 01:17 AM
WHOA!! When did this turn into a Lynx thread?!! ........................Just kidding! lol!

Looks good Chuck! I'm sure we will both be busy with these on race day!

Doug Smock
05-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Race day?? How bout some test and tune vids fellas???:w00t:
You been romancing these builds long enough, it's time to marry them!!!!:bounce::laugh:
Looking good fellas!!!:thumbup1:
Doug

crrcboatz
05-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Here's where I found some:

http://shop.genuinedealz.com/Items/gim-hs3a-050-bk?sck=14614821&caSKU=gim-hs3a-050-bk&caTitle=1/2%20in%20Adhesive%20Lined%20Heat%20Shrink%20Tubing %20-%20%24/ft%20Black

Free shipping!

GREAT FIND!! Thanks:buttrock:

egneg
05-08-2011, 06:20 PM
You been romancing these builds long enough, it's time to marry them!!!!:bounce::laugh:
Doug

Doug, I have been married for 30 years and at this point I don't think I could live through another one! :unsure:

HOTWATER
05-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Doug

What can I say...I like to take things slow......Def. spent enough $$ on her though...LOL! :laugh:

Testing sooooon!

Boaterguy
05-08-2011, 10:22 PM
What can I say...I like to take things slow......Def. spent enough $$ on her though...LOL! :laugh:

Testing sooooon!

I know from my experinces, do little bits at a time, this keeps me from getting frustrated, and I accomplish more with better quality.

Doug Smock
05-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Doug, I have been married for 30 years and at this point I don't think I could live through another one! :unsure:

:laugh::laugh:

HOTWATER
05-08-2011, 10:39 PM
I know from my experinces, do little bits at a time, this keeps me from getting frustrated, and I accomplish more with better quality.

Yep...and I like to think things through and hopefully make the mistakes in my head instead of on the actual build...my driving may be another story...:Praying:...lol!

JRS Innovations
05-12-2011, 09:25 AM
...Cutting out the cowling and mocking up parts (yes, beer was needed for the hotknife cutout....lol!)....

I don't recall selling a Tool Box to you to hold up your
beautiful Tunnel......LOL

Joe

HOTWATER
05-13-2011, 03:52 PM
I was going to use the empty Bud Light box as a stand...lol!:laugh:

You building tunnel stands now?

Boaterguy
05-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Well, you probably have enough boxes!!! :bounce:

HOTWATER
05-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Well, I ran her for the first time today....I like it!! When I first launched the boat it had more power than I thought and did a wheelie and flipped over about 20' in front of me....LOL! I brought it back in and launched it again...this time I had a slower trigger finger and everything was going smoothly but it definately needed some left input to get it tracking straight...so I ended up flipping it again. Once again I brought it in, fixed the steering and launched it again....MUCH BETTER!!! It tracked straight, flew nose up and settled the nose in the corners. This boat really turns great...even when on the throttle hard! The cavitation plate is set dead flat to the transom and the bottom of the lower end's bullet is even with the sponson bottoms which I think is just enough. The boat did not seem to want to flip over in the straights (after I fixed the tracking),even with a little wind, but I could tell that it was just a small setting away from that...I think it's a good setting for now.

All in all I am very happy with the way it ran today. Also had no water in the hull after it had sat upside down for a few minutes in the pond...that I really liked!

egneg
05-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Well, I ran her for the first time today....I like it!! When I first launched the boat it had more power than I thought and did a wheelie and flipped over about 20' in front of me....LOL! I brought it back in and launched it again...this time I had a slower trigger finger and everything was going smoothly but it definately needed some left input to get it tracking straight...so I ended up flipping it again. Once again I brought it in, fixed the steering and launched it again....MUCH BETTER!!! It tracked straight, flew nose up and settled the nose in the corners. This boat really turns great...even when on the throttle hard! The cavitation plate is set dead flat to the transom and the bottom of the lower end's bullet is even with the sponson bottoms which I think is just enough. The boat did not seem to want to flip over in the straights (after I fixed the tracking),even with a little wind, but I could tell that it was just a small setting away from that...I think it's a good setting for now.

All in all I am very happy with the way it ran today. Also had no water in the hull after it had sat upside down for a few minutes in the pond...that I really liked!

Way to go Kent - you should be good to go in short order.

HOTWATER
05-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Thanks Chuck! I tried to run it again today but when I got to the pond it was pretty gusty out...i'm gonna try again tomorrow....

egneg
05-23-2011, 05:53 PM
I ran the VS-1 again yesterday and it still needs a bit of tweaking ... it did 51 mph before I put it down side up. Hopefully I will have the Lynx done by the end of the summer.

HOTWATER
05-24-2011, 10:51 PM
Nice Chuck! Hope I will be able to see the lynx run! They are supposed to be fast tunnels!