PDA

View Full Version : I wanna go FAST!

gaboulware
01-25-2008, 06:01 PM
Hi all-

Here are a couple pics of my BJ 26. Currently running stock motor, esc, and stearable drive system. I have a drive and inline rudder system on its way as we speak with balanced x642. I haven't had a chance to put it in the water since going LiPo and I can't wait to see the difference. I have moved the ESC in front of the motor, and eliminated the tupperware container I hope to run it this weekend on 2ea. 2SP1 4900mAh Lipo's.

Also, I plan on removing the turn fins and sealing the holes with 3M5200 or another type epoxy when I get the new drive.

What should I expect before and after removing the turn fins and changing drive system?

P.S. the yellow are sponges

domwilson
01-25-2008, 06:32 PM
A yellowing of the teeth....A deep feeling of remorse. Just kidding. Couldn't resist.
Obrien has a the most experience with this. I would put dabs of silicone down before you mount the new hardware just to seal the holes. Depending on the hardware that you purchased, be prepared to play with battery placement and strut adjustments. What hardware are you getting?

gaboulware
01-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Randy Naylor at bby made the hardware. He said he was shipping it out today, should be here by Wednesday. (to SC from CA).

domwilson
01-25-2008, 07:17 PM
Is that custom made? Cool.
Some guys are running fuller's, speedmaster, aeromarine and Twisted Liquid or a combination of the previously mentioned. What that means is there is alot of different things that can be done and I don't think there is a clear "winner" of what hardware is best. But ask specific questions and the guys here will be more than happy to assist. I'm running Fuller's for right now, but I have other hardware to experiment with.

txboatpilot
01-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Also, I plan on removing the turn fins and sealing the holes with 3M5200 or another type epoxy when I get the new drive.

What should I expect before and after removing the turn fins and changing drive system?

P.S. the yellow are sponges[/QUOTE]
\

JMO, I would leave the turn fins on for the first run, this hull gets loose when running x642 and lipo's...Even with new hardware... They will make turning more stable.. Otherwise expect SMILES from ear to ear!!!

gaboulware
01-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks, I will leave them on. How much drag do they typically cause?

Also, did you remove your battery trays, or did you just knock out the front side?

txboatpilot
01-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Thanks, I will leave them on. How much drag do they typically cause?

Also, did you remove your battery trays, or did you just knock out the front side?

Drag, yes a little bit. Mabey 1-2mph...

I removed my bat. trays, put new ones in lower and longer, for better CG adjustment..

gaboulware
01-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Did you just use some balsa wood and epoxy to coat and secure?

It seems the area holding the motor mount will then need extra support on the sides, correct?

txboatpilot
01-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Thin ply, and 20 min thin epoxy..I took the motor out and coated the wood wear it meets the hull... Mine is nice and stong around the motor mount area..

txboatpilot
01-26-2008, 12:21 PM
When are you going to run those new lipo's??

gaboulware
01-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Nice, I have already applied some epoxy and carbon graphite thread around the hull under the motor and esc. Also along the back below the servo and transmitter to build some extra strength around the drive shaft. I used two different types of epoxy, hence the grey and clear resins.

When I replace the battery trays I will apply more epoxy around the sides of the motor mount.

Per PM request I have attached a few more pics of the inside.

gaboulware
01-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Hopefully tomorrow, pulling family duty today

obrien
01-26-2008, 10:33 PM
I simply put velcro strips in the bottom of my hull for the batteries, and added some velcro straps to make sure they stay put.

You will need to detongue the x642 to get it to run the best.

I also cut 1" off of my turn fins.

I think the most speed I lost between testing with and without the turn fins was less than .5 mph. And that was before I shortened them.

My best run to date is still 52.8 mph. I know there is plenty left in it. I would say that if I get my prop right 55 is possible. On the stock motor I have run 45 mph on nimh batteries. I never ran the lipos with the stock setup.

gaboulware
01-27-2008, 09:12 AM
Sweet! I am going today to run her. I will let you know what the LiPo's do on the stock motor. I will pull the trays out when I get my hardware from Randy this week.

I am also getting my x642 from him balanced. I did not ask him if he was going to detongue it. Is detonguing it normal process when it is ordered balanced and sharpened ? Not asking if that is Randy's process, just industry specific?

txboatpilot
01-27-2008, 11:23 AM
I am also getting my x642 from him balanced. I did not ask him if he was going to detongue it. Is detonguing it normal process when it is ordered balanced and sharpened ? Not asking if that is Randy's process, just industry specific?[/QUOTE]

No, detounging is not part of S&B... It is done on request, or by you.. I will shoot a pict. of detounged and not, so you can see the differece.. It is not hard to do..

domwilson
01-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Here is a link on some prop cutting info.

http://www.rcboat.com/prop.htm

gaboulware
01-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Just ran my LiPo's, why do they even still make nimh's anymore? WOW what an improvement!!!!! Stock Hardware somewhere in the low 40's I will GPS after the hardware upgrade. I have to borrow a GPS in order to do so.
I can't get over the speed difference.

txboatpilot
01-27-2008, 01:31 PM
Just ran my LiPo's, why do they even still make nimh's anymore? WOW what an improvement!!!!! Stock Hardware somewhere in the low 40's I will GPS after the hardware upgrade. I have to borrow a GPS in order to do so.
I can't get over the speed difference.

What did I tell ya!! LOL... Fun stuff...

txboatpilot
01-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Here is the gps I use..
http://cgi.ebay.com/GARMIN-ETREX-GPS-HANDHELD-RECEIVER-BRAND-NEW-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ360015792974QQihZ023QQcategoryZ34 289QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

gaboulware
01-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Cool, thanks for the link. I can't wait to bust some SV's on the pond!

txboatpilot
01-27-2008, 01:43 PM
How did the BJ turn with the LIPO POWER??

gaboulware
01-27-2008, 01:50 PM
First, I'm no racer. However, it turned fine. I almost rolled it one time. I let off the throtle and saved her.
Should I expect more or less turning with the inline rudder hardware?

gaboulware
02-01-2008, 01:04 PM
What is the best way to shorten a flex drive cable.I have never cut one of these before, and don't want to take a chance without checking!

RCprince
02-01-2008, 01:30 PM
What I do is solder where I'm gonna cut about an inch to an inch and a half, then mark where I'm gonna cut it with tape, then dremel or hacksaw it off the solder is so it won't unspool. you wanna cut in between the inch to inch an one half

txboatpilot
02-01-2008, 01:57 PM
I just tape it, mark it, wrap it in a towel and put it in my vise. Then cut the unneeded part off with a Dremmel (on highest speed with large cutting wheel). Then un tape it, clean up the edge where the cut was made, add a little solder to the end and install it...

gaboulware
02-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Thanks guys, cut it this afternoon. No problems. Waiting on the epoxy to cure, then I will attach the new hardware. I will upload some pics after I get it completed.

RTaylor
02-03-2008, 03:03 PM
How do you mount or secure the GPS?

txboatpilot
02-03-2008, 04:13 PM
How do you mount or secure the GPS?

I glue or epoxy a 8" velcro strap in where I have the extra room... And secure it with the strap!

RTaylor
02-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Thank you, Then I assume the GPS works fine under the cover?