PDA

View Full Version : FE30 prop

Gen
04-25-2011, 08:57 AM
i am wanting to get a FE30 and am putting the gear i had in my Ul1 into it so i have had some testing and wanted to ask some questions
the motor is castle 2200 ,esc is hydra 240 running on 4s
now i tried many props
oct 1440 and 1445 didnt work X637 ,44 with1.4 pitch ok ,

better performers were
X937/3 boat rode flat smooth didnt look fast but gps at 52mph really nice to drive with this prop could do full speed turns and all

grim racer 40/57/3 again ran well same speed 52mph

then m445 was a pocket rocket felt real fast was gps at 55.5 mph however after 2 mins motor esc cold batteries were 60 C 140 F ,,too hot

now since i had m445 do so well could i get one of these cut a bit or will that make no difference on strain of motor ?

or stay with the 3 blade V series and go the V 940/3 and push a little harder or would X640 and X642 be a good try ??

and what bout ABC with there progressive pitch ?? any suggestions and comments appreciated

detox
04-25-2011, 09:40 AM
Read here

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=21873&page=2

Chilli
04-25-2011, 10:17 AM
Were you were running 1P? Either a single 4s pack or two 2S packs in series?

As Tony suggested in the thread above the M545 works great in the FE-30 with your set up. But your going have to go 4S2P with good quality packs to be able to use that prop.

Gen
04-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Were you were running 1P? Either a single 4s pack or two 2S packs in series?

As Tony suggested in the thread above the M545 works great in the FE-30 with your set up. But your going have to go 4S2P with good quality packs to be able to use that prop.

,i was running 2s in series ,now i had some heat issues with M445 so i think M545 is gonna get me there faster but will be exteremly hot and tony says he was using turnigy nanotechs obviosly these arnt the worst but definetly are the cheaper end of batterys ,,

so with that 68mph run was tony running 4s ?
and he was using a castle 2200 or a neu 2200 as there is a power difference isnt there

thanks ,,tony please chime in here if your floatin around nearby ..

Fluid
04-25-2011, 10:53 AM
The fact that the pack is very hot but the motor and ESC are not tells me that you are over-discharging the cells. No matter what their "C" rating is supposed to be you are pushing them very hard. Knowning more about them would be helpful - C rating, capacity, brand, history, etc. That is a strong motor and it needs adequate packs to deliver top performance.

If you can't fit 2P in the boat then get high capacity, high c-rating, high qualty cells. Just because the label says 40C does not mean that the cells can actually deliver to that level. My FE-30 runs ~54 mph in a heat race with a UL-1 motor, 42x66 prop and a Hyperion 45C/5000 mAh pack. I'monly pulling around 90 amps versus the pack's potential of 225 amps so the pack doesn't get hot.

You have to be careful trying to duplicate what someone else posted online. Tony is 100% honest so I trust his speed claim, but if you didn't replicate his setup exactly you can have problems. He ran a single 4S1P 45C/5000 pack for the 68 mph run. Boat setup can make the difference between 55 mph and 65 mph too, it is not just about the hardware. Photos of your setup would be very helpful.

On a related topic, I really dislike the term "cold" as in 'the ESC was cold', it tells us little useful information. More helpful is the actual temperature of the caps as long as the reading is taken very soon after the boat stops. Remember that the ESC can cool off very fast, so just because it reads 100*F after you untape does not mean it wasn't a heck of a lot hotter when it quit running. The packs hold their heat much better so temp readings are more likely to represent the running temperature of the cells.

Gen
04-25-2011, 11:07 AM
fluid thanks for the detailed reply ,
my packs are Turnigys 2S 5000mah 40 C again im one of these guys who would prefer to go to the lake with 20 turnigys and no charger than 4 hyperions and a charger :) anyhow thats a heated debate so enough said ......

and motor and esc were temp tested very quickly after coming in and on bearing end of motor and caps on esc temps were approx 95 F also i have installed 5 extra 330uf caps in series on my esc under advice from Dr wayne .....

properchopper
04-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Hi Gen

I pm'd you my e-mail to have further discussions & to keep my OSE inbox from filling up :eek:

Like Jay said, every boat, even if it's the same basic build as another, needs to be individually tuned for it's intended purpose. Pushing for highest top speeds requires a fair amount of headroom to keep the electronics from becoming unreliable. Prop load on the electronics and hull running attitude play an important role in all of this. One thing I learned from Jay is that extreme loads on the speed control have a cumulative degenerating effect , something I was unaware of until Jay brought this to light. Also there's some good stuff now being discussed about battery quality and "truth in advertising". I'm soakin' it all in as it unfolds.

We'll talk ! :Peace_Sign:

Tony

electric
04-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Good discussion. I am running a Neu 1515 in my boat (Jay you saw it on it's maiden run last year at your club (red FE) and the batteries are coming back way to warm for my liking while everything else is cool.

I was focused on the the prop for more speed, now I am thinking I need to at least invest in one high quality 4s pack to see if that is the key to getting the faster speeds I am looking for.
OR
After browsing the threads (seem to be many threads for this FE30 boat) I think I am going to see if I can get a 4s2p setup to fit in there as shown in the pics. Might be a way to run on a budget and manage the amp draw. I can buy a 4s nano and two 2s nano's for less than one hyperion 4s. I know it is apples to oranges at all levels, but might be a resonable compromise and would also buy some more run time. Not to mention using the 2s packs for other boats I have.

fuse01
04-25-2011, 08:52 PM
how do you fit 2 4s 5000 in the FE30?

properchopper
04-26-2011, 12:43 AM
how do you fit 2 4s 5000 in the FE30?

My 4S2P setup uses 4000 mAh packs. They just fit.

Gen
04-26-2011, 01:39 AM
so does the 2p setup of 4s batts create less heat than a 2s in series setup ??

properchopper
04-26-2011, 12:40 PM
so does the 2p setup of 4s batts create less heat than a 2s in series setup ??

In a word, YES ! As a refresher, two 4S (let's say 4000mAh) batteries in series gives you an 8S setup with 4000 mAh on tap; not something we're about to use in an FE 30. Two 4S 4000 mAh batteries in parallel (4S2P) gives you a 4S power level with 8000 mAh on tap. The more mAh you have in reserve, the less "strain" the batteries experience, and this "strain" is what produces heat.

fuse01
04-26-2011, 08:50 PM
what effect does the boat has ? while carrying 2p ? i know my geico does need more power to plane and slows down fast