PDA

View Full Version : anyone know anything about Trinity Brushed motors?

crrcboatz
04-24-2011, 08:43 PM
I have a couple of trinity sapphire 17 t motors and have no idea what they are. Got time in a grab bag of electric stuff. They are hooked to a tranny and they run duel hookup on it. I am not sure they have ever had a battery to them. Look new.

what is 17t? good bad neither?

should I just chunk them and replace with 380 brushless motors?

Can post pics if necessary

tiqueman
04-24-2011, 11:06 PM
I used to run Trinity motors in a lot of my touring and pan cars. Stock I belive was 23T (turn)... its been a while. So 17T is a little hotter motor. I liked my Trinity motors a lot.

Heres an article that mentions them for boating entry level racing
http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/articles/entry_level.htm

Is the sapphire a speed gems series? http://www.rc-truckncar-tuning.com/speedgems-extreme.html

crrcboatz
04-25-2011, 12:03 AM
I used to run Trinity motors in a lot of my touring and pan cars. Stock I belive was 23T (turn)... its been a while. So 17T is a little hotter motor. I liked my Trinity motors a lot.

Heres an article that mentions them for boating entry level racing
http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/articles/entry_level.htm

Is the sapphire a speed gems series? http://www.rc-truckncar-tuning.com/speedgems-extreme.html

Great info and tnks. So 2 of these in a tranny would work in say a small 18" or so boat? With 2 could I run a 7.2 lipo for power? What kind of speed controller would work too.

Alexgar
04-26-2011, 11:39 AM
i ran a trinity 14 t in a touring car and it was the first car i hade go over 35 mph i ran it on a novak explorer fo years and in my first bby ovalmaster 21 on a x431 6c nimh. the duratrax streak is a cheap (30$ new)12t capable esc and you could prob pick up a couple used ones for nothing

crrcboatz
04-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Ok the 2 motors are wired together, so can i use one esc say the duratrax as you suggested? Also, could I run 2s or 3s either one? I have a small 18" hull for this setup, ie the tranny that uses both of these and converts to 1 shaft and collet.

Alexgar
04-26-2011, 11:44 PM
Are they run in series cause 2 of those in parallel might be hard in a lower line esc

wparsons
05-08-2011, 10:32 AM
They won't spin as fast in series, but if you gear accordingly you should be fine.

I used to race my stadium truck with that exact motor. I would give the commutator a good cleaning and then some new brushes and they should be good to go!

crrcboatz
05-08-2011, 07:47 PM
They won't spin as fast in series, but if you gear accordingly you should be fine.

I used to race my stadium truck with that exact motor. I would give the commutator a good cleaning and then some new brushes and they should be good to go!

Much appreciate your comments, knowledge and willingness to help my friend!! Will clean the commentators, and yes they are wired in series, ie, +&- from each hooked leaving one of each for the power.
Question, how much power aka volts should I use with them/

wparsons
05-08-2011, 09:04 PM
With them in series you can definitely run 4s lipo through it if your ESC can handle that.

crrcboatz
05-08-2011, 11:41 PM
With them in series you can definitely run 4s lipo through it if your ESC can handle that.

Well I think it can, I planned to use a waterproof traxxas from a emaxx that had 2 550 titans.:help:

NativePaul
05-09-2011, 09:28 AM
I used to run a single trinity ruby 16 triple on a 2:1 ratio on 7 1700SCRC NiCads with X640 in an 18" cat giving 28mph. Upgraded to 400 size Mega 1615/3 10C3100mah 3s, X431 cut to 28mm for 36mph in the same hull with double the run time.

A dual gear drive is pretty heavy for an 18" hull normally we would be using them in 24-27" boats. I would take one out and use it as a single on 2s if you have the ESC already or if you don't go BL its not worth buying brushed stuff these days, you could probably get a cheap BL motor and ESC for similar price to a brushed ESC and get much better performance.