PDA

View Full Version : GREAT deal on power supplies!

sailr
04-23-2011, 09:49 AM
I recently purchased two 47A power supplies that I wired in series to get 24V to drive my new Hyperion 720 duo charger.

These are GREAT power supplies. Cost? $90 shipped for both! Only $50 for one. There is also a great thread on RCGroups about hooking them up.

They have smaller supplies also. They are takeouts from big computer servers.

This is where I found them. I have no business connection to them.

www.feathermerchantrc.com

SweetZ28
04-23-2011, 10:52 AM
I have one and posted about them up here a while back they are great supplies.

oscarel
04-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Another good source is www.serversupply.com. I bought 2 of these (https://www.serversupply.com/HP-COMPAQ/POWER%20SUPPLY/SERVER%20POWER%20SUPPLY/1300%20WATT/406421-001.htm)that output 1300 watts for $45.

chummer
04-23-2011, 12:20 PM
I recently purchased two 47A power supplies that I wired in series to get 24V to drive my new Hyperion 720 duo charger.

These are GREAT power supplies. Cost? $90 shipped for both! Only $50 for one. There is also a great thread on RCGroups about hooking them up.

They have smaller supplies also. They are takeouts from big computer servers.

This is where I found them. I have no business connection to them.

www.feathermerchantrc.com

Funny, I was just looking at those about an hour ago. Consider getting the new Thunderpower charger so I will have to upgrade my power supply to take full advantage of the charger.

Not a bad price. 2 of them for $105 shipped to Canada.

Brushless55
04-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Dang, I was just thinking I need a power supply!:rockon2:

Doug Smock
04-23-2011, 03:25 PM

Hi Jim,
What did you do to protect yourself if there happens to be a line fault in the unit they had you remove the ground on?

Thanks,
Doug

sailr
04-23-2011, 07:22 PM
Doug,
I just followed their instructions. As far as I can tell, with them wired in series, the second unit picks up the overall ground as I understand it. You have to unground one of them or it's a direct short when trying to go + on one to - on the other. Don't ask how I know! ;-) I could be wrong though!

ksm2001
04-23-2011, 07:25 PM
I purchase 2 of the 47A PS a couple months back from feathermerchant and built a case around them. I run a Hyperion Super Duo3 and a Icharger 106B+, these are great PS and cheap. I removed the ground wire and metal tab from inside of one to eliminate shorting of the units and used a heavier gauge power cord and soldered 2 computer female power cables in parallel instead of running 2 separates.

Ken

ksm2001
04-23-2011, 08:25 PM
Doug,
I just followed their instructions. As far as I can tell, with them wired in series, the second unit picks up the overall ground as I understand it. You have to unground one of them or it's a direct short when trying to go + on one to - on the other. Don't ask how I know! ;-) I could be wrong though!

Jim :iagree:

SweetZ28
04-23-2011, 08:29 PM
I purchase 2 of the 47A PS a couple months back from feathermerchant and built a case around them. I run a Hyperion Super Duo3 and a Icharger 106B+, these are great PS and cheap. I removed the ground wire and metal tab from inside of one to eliminate shorting of the units and used a heavier gauge power cord and soldered 2 computer female power cables in parallel instead of running 2 separates.

Ken

Nice work it looks awesome!!! Looks like you can do some serious damage with that thing.... A Portable electricutioner!!:smile:

Doug Smock
04-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Ok Ken it sounds like you addressed my concern internally. Both of the cases on your power supply are gounded to earth correct?
How about yours Jim?? The attached pic has me concerned.
Doug

ksm2001
04-24-2011, 01:16 AM
Ok Ken it sounds like you addressed my concern internally. Both of the cases on your power supply are gounded to earth correct?
Doug

Doug, I did not cut the ground off the cable as in your picture, you can do it and its an easy way but by removing the ground wire inside the case and a metal tab that is connected to earth ground to case on #2 PS you don't have to worry about shorting out the case. #2 PS will not be earth grounded by the power cord but by running the wires that Jim mentioned from + on the #1 PS which is earth grounded to - on the #2 PS which is not. I would think it still has earth ground from #1 PS since they are connected in series, also both negative outputs come from#1 PS, but your making me think on this one :confused2:

I do like this setup because you can run 12V and 24V at the same time for high voltage and low voltage input chargers or unplug #2 PS and you have only 12V to both sets of plugs.

Steve, thank you for the comment, yes there is some serious current in these units.

sailr
04-24-2011, 03:50 PM
I understand your concern Doug, but when wired in series, apparently the one grounded unit somehow grounds them both? Not sure though.

I built mine into a case where you really can't get into the wiring so I'm not that concerned. I'll try to get some pics for you all later. I have mine set up for both 24V output and 12V output. The new Hyperion 720 DUO3 requires 24V to be able to charge at 20A! Works great! There is still plenty of power supply 'left over' to run another one or two single battery chargers for 4S - 6S at the same time.

Doug