PDA

View Full Version : 40th Annual NAMBA Gas Nats will offer 2 FE Classes

D. Newland
04-21-2011, 03:38 PM
There's been quite a bit of discussion during the past few months about the 2011 NAMBA Gas/Nitro Nationals (Legg Lake, Ca) offering FE classes. After careful consideration was given to how close the dates are between the Gas and FE Nat's, it's been decided to get 2 FE classes on the Gas Nat's schedule.

P-Limited Sport Hydro will run on Saturday, June 18th and P-Mono on June 19th.

To sign up, please visit NAMBANATS.com (http://nambanats.com/). I don't think the FE classes are on the schedule yet, but it will be shortly.

P-LSH will allow the 6 motors listed on the recent NAMBA proposal. If you have any questions, please let me know!

Steven Vaccaro
04-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Dave I'm not trying to be controversial here, but why would they want the two nationals events to conflict?

Darin Jordan
04-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Dave I'm not trying to be controversial here, but why would they want the two nationals events to conflict?

Hmmmmm.... I can't imagine why either... it's simply "insane"... :glare:

:bounce:

:popcorn2:

ScarabChris
04-21-2011, 05:30 PM
I used to be a NAMBA member racing my gas mono. It wasn't much fun in my opinion, so many people and such a tight schedule.

But what would make it fun is to have an "anything goes" race within the same class of boats.

For example, mono's in the 40" class. Any 40" class mono can race regardless of power. I think it would be cool to see similar boats all powered differently. An all out race between gas, nitro and electric.

D. Newland
04-21-2011, 06:10 PM

No worrries, Steve, and maybe I didn't word it correctly above...or maybe I'm not understanding your question, but maybe there's something in here that will answer it. If not, let me know.

NAMBA FE and NAMBA Gas Nationals have always done their own thing with regards to scheduling. It was never really an issue. However, FE has been invited in the past to run at a Gas Nationals. Washington in '09 allowed a few FE boats to run. There's also very preliminary discussion regarding an all-inclusive NAMBA Nat's in 2012. Let me repeat...very preliminary discussion. Needless to say, things have been (kind of...slowly...a little bit) moving towards combined events. It's not for everyone or every event, but that's what's been happening.

With that said, Ken and the Waveblasters put a lot of time and effort in to their dates. They landed on a date that was 2 weeks before the Gas Nat's. Again, typically not a big deal. And it's still not a big deal.

However, the Gas Nat's organizers were asked to get some FE on the schedule. Trust me, it wouldn't have happened if Ken and I weren't OK with it. Geographically, the Florida FE event really is not in any jeopardy of losing attendance because of a few FE classes being put on the L.A. gas schedule. It's NAMBA's 40th Anniversary and I like the idea of having some FE there to represent! Also, following Darin's comment, the L.A. guys (Tyler-you're in this group, knowing you're further north), including Jeff at Insane, are making huge strides in getting F.E. to the next level in their area.

All things considered, including concerns of both events being just 2 weeks apart, the decision was made to put 2 FE classes on the Gas Nat's schedule.

Darin-put down the popcorn.

Scarbchris- NAMBA Dist 19 does run an "Open" class that kind of does what you're saying. Not quite, but it's a hoot. However, I don't think any "Open" class will make a Nat's schedule.

properchopper
04-21-2011, 06:24 PM
I strongly urge any FE's within travel distance to attend; if not to race, but to experience the festivities. It's gonna' be a big party and a chance to meet (& compete if you so desire) with the Legg Lake/SoCal crew. P-Limited Sport Hydro & P-Mono covers a big part of what lots of sport runners have, and once the excitement of oval racing is experienced, it's all uphill from there :banana:

Darin Jordan
04-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Darin-put down the popcorn.

Hahaha... I'm not a big fan of popcorn anyway! :smile:

:beerchug:

However, when us West Coast FE-ers ASKED if they'd include some FE Classes, like they did last year, we were flately told NO... And we asked nicely even...

No biggy, but let's be real at least...

D. Newland
04-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Hahaha... I'm not a big fan of popcorn anyway! :smile:

:beerchug:

However, when us West Coast FE-ers ASKED if they'd include some FE Classes, like they did last year, we were flately told NO... And we asked nicely even...

No biggy, but let's be real at least...

Just pokin' fun about the popcorn.

Are you saying that you/somebody asked about FE being included at the '11 Gas Nat's and were told no?

Chilli
04-21-2011, 07:53 PM
I strongly urge any FE's within travel distance to attend.

You guys have a unique oportunity to give gassers from throughout the country a taste of the FE experience. You'll be doing a service to those FE'er from other parts of the country whose IC counterparts have never seen FE's run and are reluctant to include them in local races.

GIVE 'EM A SHOW!!!!! :thumbup1:

Darin Jordan
04-21-2011, 08:06 PM
GIVE 'EM A SHOW!!!!! :thumbup1:

Always do!!

David,

I didn't personally ask Al or anything, but when I asked our District earlier this year if FE was going to be included, they told us they were told "No" by those in charge of such things.

It's not a big deal to me, really. I think FE SHOULD be included, you know that!

Should be intersting racing.

AlanN
04-21-2011, 08:17 PM

Steve,
No need to be controversial, it's just a matter of someone wanting to sell boats. Plain as the nose on a face.

Maybe we could get some FE'ers to convert to gas!!!

Darin Jordan
04-21-2011, 08:18 PM
It does raise an intersting question, however... Are we crowning "National Champions" in FE at both events??

I hope not...

MarkF
04-21-2011, 08:20 PM
A lot of what has to do with electrics being run at the gas nats is the fact that more than half of the people that will be running in the electric classes are the gas racers themselfs. At the last gas race they had here in LA me and Tony were the only electric guys there. The other 4 electric racers were gas guys. The gas guys down here are starting pick up on the electric boats to have another boat to run thats not as expensive.

Mark

Darin Jordan
04-21-2011, 08:23 PM
A lot of what has to do with electrics being run at the gas nats is the fact that more than half of the people that will be running in the electric classes are the gas racers themselfs. At the last gas race they had here in LA me and Tony were the only electric guys there. The other 4 electric racers were gas guys. The gas guys down here are starting pick up on the electric boats to have another boat to run thats not as expensive.

Mark

Excellent... And some of us FE'ers ARE getting or have Gas boats as well... :thumbup1:

One day, I hope we just have a NAMBA Nationals... One big happy family...

LuckyDuc
04-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Excellent... And some of us FE'ers ARE getting or have Gas boats as well... :thumbup1:

One day, I hope we just have a NAMBA Nationals... One big happy family...

It would be nice to have ONE national event, BUT it would be pretty tough to host and support it. I wouldn't want to be the hosting club for that event.:eek: It would be a 10+ day event with all of the nitro classes, all of the gas classes, and all of the FE classes. I definitely like the idea of having some FE classes at Nat'l Nitro / Nat'l Gas events though. Why not. They should be considered specialty classes at those events.

I have a gasser in the works too ;)

RaceMechaniX
04-21-2011, 11:08 PM
I would agree there is a bit of a conflict, but seeing as the races are on opposite coasts if does give several of us West Coast guys a chance to run FE. It was a great sucess at the 09' nationals and I believe in the spirit of promoting FE boats its a great idea to have several popular classes where we can get more guys interested.

I will certaintly be bringing a P-mono to the Nats to race.

Tyler

properchopper
04-21-2011, 11:14 PM
"..............P-Limited Sport Hydro will run on Saturday, June 18th and P-Mono on June 19th.

To sign up, please visit NAMBANATS.com (http://nambanats.com/). I don't think the FE classes are on the schedule yet, but it will be shortly.

P-LSH will allow the 6 motors listed on the recent NAMBA proposal. If you have any questions, please let me know!

The FE classes are on the entry form as of now. Deadline for registering is May 18.

:thumbup1::rockon2::thumbup1:

ron1950
04-21-2011, 11:15 PM
who picked the two generous classes of fe to run? seems to be alot politics even in boat raceing

ron1950
04-21-2011, 11:17 PM
and like darin said.....will there be a nats fe champ east coast and west coast? (ofcourse its only in two classes lol)

properchopper
04-21-2011, 11:17 PM
I would agree there is a bit of a conflict, but seeing as the races are on opposite coasts if does give several of us West Coast guys a chance to run FE. It was a great sucess at the 09' nationals and I believe in the spirit of promoting FE boats its a great idea to have several popular classes where we can get more guys interested.

I will certaintly be bringing a P-mono to the Nats to race.

Tyler

But...But....Tyler, who'se going to pit for me? I better sharpen my driving skills :doh:

D. Newland
04-21-2011, 11:22 PM
Always do!!

David,

I didn't personally ask Al or anything, but when I asked our District earlier this year if FE was going to be included, they told us they were told "No" by those in charge of such things.

It's not a big deal to me, really. I think FE SHOULD be included, you know that!

Should be intersting racing.

I hear ya.

Check out the NAMBA Gas Nat's thread on Jim's. I think it was Tyler that asked early on (Oct?) about FE being included and it was followed up with a post from Russ Stark supporting the idea. Nothing really got finalized until recently, but I don't recall there ever being a negative stance towards the idea of having FE represented at the Gas Nats.

D. Newland
04-21-2011, 11:45 PM
who picked the two generous classes of fe to run? seems to be alot politics even in boat raceing

Really? If you're looking for one to thank (or blame), I'm your guy. Russ Stark and I talked at the last Dist 19 race and finalized this list. However, most of the work was done before we talked. Tyler got the ball rolling. FE being added to Dist 19 races this year helped, too. I gave the recommendation that LSH run rather than P-Sport, and gave P Mono an easy thumbs up.

LSH is the most popular FE class. P Mono is 3rd or 4th most popular. District 19 is hosting the Gas Nat's and the guys that run FE in this district can field these 2 classes the best.

So, I'm curious as to why you think it was a political decision.

As for Jeff wanting to sell boats. Yup. He does. He spent the time and the money to develop one of the best FE-purpose built boats we've ever seen. Right in our sweet spot, too. He likes us, but we all know he's a business man as well as a model boater. He even has more in store for FE.

Before Jeff's involvement, the FE L.A. seen for the past 5 years or so was scattered and rather dismal. Odd, right? I mean, L.A. How many million live there? And Legg Lake has a dedicated model boat pond, complete with concrete drivers stand and pit tables? I'm thankful for what he's done for Dist 19, and FE in general.

Steven Vaccaro
04-22-2011, 06:37 AM
It does raise an intersting question, however... Are we crowning "National Champions" in FE at both events??

I hope not...

that was running around in my head also.

I guess the question is, with the gas nats hosting a couple electric classes, are they also considered the electric nats?

T.C.
04-22-2011, 08:20 AM
If what I think your talking about is having two people holding the same title in these two class is correct then I am totally against it.
We either have a Fast Electric Nationals or we don't, I can see giving trophy's to the Calif. racers that win the class, but they should not imply they are the FE Nationals title for those classes.
In my mind the 2011 FE National is in Fla. period!
Alot of people down here are working very hard to pull this race off and the guys that win those classes will work even harder to win them, I think it diminishes the wins a little to have another race/person with the same title.
If you want to do that, you need to split the country down the middle and have east coast and west coast nats.
Don't blast me to bad guys, this is just my opinion .
T.C.

Darin Jordan
04-22-2011, 08:31 AM
I'm thankful for what he's done for Dist 19, and FE in general.

Anyone who helps to promote FE is alright in my book, but let's not get carried away here... He's simply supplying a couple of quality products to the market, and having these two particular classes are a matter of marketing and convenience.

There are countless others who have LEAD the way in FE for many years now, that made what's happening down there even possible.

Darin Jordan
04-22-2011, 08:33 AM
And just so we're clear... I think it's FINE that they are having FE classes at the Nitro/Gas Nats... they did that here, and it was fun and worked out great.

Just think that people need to be a little more honest about the reasons why they are having them there... Open communication, and all that. ;)

Darin Jordan
04-22-2011, 09:39 AM
But...But....Tyler, who'se going to pit for me? I better sharpen my driving skills :doh:

Tony... Maybe I'll drive down and Co-Drive for you... :thumbup1: :beerchug:

I may not always be able to make it happen myself on the water, but I think I can coach pretty well... ("those who can't do, teach??" Gosh, I sure hope that's not the case! ;) )

Fluid
04-22-2011, 09:41 AM
Having combined-fuel events is becoming very common. All of the larger gas races here in Texas have nitro and FE classes included (if there are enough boaters to fill them). The gas guys have become very inclusive here, and that seems to be the trend across the US. Frankly I enjoy the mixed-fuel events a lot, although ear plugs may be needed. ;)

To have FE classes at the nitro Nats is a fine idea. Personally I believe that for the good of the R/C boating hobby in general, having a single National event for all NAMBA racers makes a lot of sense. It does not have to be a 10 day event nor do there have to be 2000+ boats racing. District point races could determine the boaters who would be eligible for racing at the Nats, reducing the number of total boaters to a manageable level and making the Nats a more prestigeous event.

This idea goes against what we've usually done in the past and I expect push back, but this plan would promote even more club-level participation - and that's where it's REALLY at!

properchopper
04-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Tony... Maybe I'll drive down and Co-Drive for you... :thumbup1: :beerchug:

I may not always be able to make it happen myself on the water, but I think I can coach pretty well... ("those who can't do, teach??" Gosh, I sure hope that's not the case! ;) )

Now that would be sweet ! If my memory serves me correctly, I had my best finishes at the '08 FE Nats when you were at my shoulder :thumbup1:

properchopper
04-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Fella's, I usually hold back my opinions on controversial issues since my FE pedigree is rather shallow compared to many others, but one thing that I can't agree with is the notion, as expressed in a few posts here, that including FE at this NAT's has a singular hidden agenda by IB to simply promote his stuff. In a purely literal way there may be some truth to this, BUT seriously consider the BOTTOM LINE here : FE, as a result, has finally gained considerable momentum here in D19, and may as well have done so elsewhere. There's a chicken and the egg analogy in here somewhere, but basically the more boats sold, the more FE grows, plain and simple. I say this as one who has been struggling for years to raise the level of participation in FE racing locally with absolutely mediocre results until IB stepped up to the plate and started cranking out raceworthy product. Also, as Mark stated, there's a growing number of gassers crossing over, at least partially, to FE. While this surprises me some, it's gratifying to welcome these guys into the fold - it only makes us stronger and allows us to benefit from their organizational skills race and otherwise.
As far as what classes where chosen to run, I can only say that that being as active locally as I am, my firsthand knowledge of who has what in their racing arsenal supports this choice of classes perfectly.
Finally, I'm somewhat confused as to why it even matters who get crowned what, and how whatever happens out West could "diminish" ( to quote exactly) the hard-earned title(s) at the FE Nat's in the East. Even if there is a conflict, which I doubt will happen anyway, it's just words. The FE Nat's are the Gold Standard and we all know that.

Tony :Peace_Sign:

Darin Jordan
04-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Tony,

I don't have any real issue with all of this happening either way. My only gripe is that it seems like FE has been "stuggling" for years to even get an ear of the National organization and to control our own destiny, and then along comes a Gas guy who is seemingly able to pull his weight and start directing what will be. I've never met Jeff, and don't have ANY issues with him. I've talked to him on the phone, bought his boat, and have no ill feelings toward him at all. If he's helping to promote FE, that's fantastic.

However, many of us have been helping to promote FE for YEARS, and when we suggest/ask for something to take place, it's always a battle.

I also have heard that "all the top FE Racers" in the area were asked about what classes to run. Funny... but I don't think anyone asked anyone from up here. I know of at least three people, and maybe two more, that are coming down and actively race P-Limited Hydros, who would have loved to participate, but will now be unable. No one asked them that I know of.

So, to summarize... I DO NOT have an issue with any of this going on. Not my battle to fight and it doesn't really affect me one way or the other. If I can swing the trip down, I have a P-Mono I can run, and a Gas Mono, for that matter, so it would be a fun trip. Just sticking in my craw a little bit that there isn't a little more consideration for those who have been deeply involved in the FE side for years, and have been out there sharing, and showing, and helping for years.

I totally respect Tyler and am happy that he got the ball rolling on this, and I actually agree with the classes that ultimately got chosen. They'll work fine and will highlight the tech pretty well, as long as people don't go too crazy and burn down all their equipment right in front of all those potential converts. ;)

I could probably better explain my feelings/emotions on this in person and it would likely be taken more the way I intend it, but hopefully you get the point.

I hope that this happening down there will lead to a little more respect for what the FE community has been doing for years, and will help continue that into the future with a broader audience and participation level! :beerchug:

MarkF
04-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Good grief, there only running 2 classes of electrics at the gas nats and prople are worried whos going to get the crown? Really?
Also the reason I see why electrics are getting anywhere with the gas guys is because they have been showing an interest with them now. They didn't before. Jeff has been receiving calls for years from people asking if he had any electric boats. Alot of them were from the gas crowd. Please don't try to spin this into something different than it is. By the way Jeff isn't the only gas guy selling electric boats and who would like to see this happen.
Most of the work done by FE guys has been going on for a lot of years. I know I got close to 20 years myself. You guys somewhat new to the sport and working hard right now for this your work is apreciated but your far from the first to try. This has been going on for a long time now. Lets try to welcome the change instead of looking for hidden agendas.

Mark

Steven Vaccaro
04-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Good grief, there only running 2 classes of electrics at the gas nats and prople are worried whos going to get the crown? Really?
Also the reason I see why electrics are getting anywhere with the gas guys is because they have been showing an interest with them now. They didn't before. Jeff has been receiving calls for years from people asking if he had any electric boats. Alot of them were from the gas crowd. Please don't try to spin this into something different than it is. By the way Jeff isn't the only gas guy selling electric boats and who would like to see this happen.
Most of the work done by FE guys has been going on for a lot of years. I know I got close to 20 years myself. You guys somewhat new to the sport and working hard right now for this your work is apreciated but your far from the first to try. This has been going on for a long time now. Lets try to welcome the change instead of looking for hidden agendas.

Mark

Sorry Mark, I think its a pretty valid question. If there are two nats going on and two winners of the same class in different parts of the country, who's the nations top dog? Please dont take this the wrong way, I'm by no means a top contender, but if I were it would bug me.

RaceMechaniX
04-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Tony, I will be happy to give you driving advice up on the stand during the race, but it may be more like "hold your line, hold your line, hold your line" as I try to get on the inside of you. I can say that the FE classes should have a lot less driving drama then some of the local gas classes so we should be OK.

I feel the FE classes run at the gas nitro Nats are exhibition classes to open up FE to the gas and nitro racers who typically may not see it. I would agree with T.C. that the national champion should be the individual who wins at Florida, but the individuls who win at the gas nitro Nats are the winners of those respective classes for this venue. I think we will all be amazed how many nitro and gas guys may decide to buy a P mono to try and run at the nationals.

As for politics-I don't honestly care. We have two popular classes to add which are great platforms for others to get involved. Although I would have loved to have an open electric class, the justice of one or two individuals showing up with full blown T-monos versus six guys with P-mono's and spec hydros would have been poor PR for FE.

There is also a double motive here. I hope to see some of the electric guys try a gas or nitro class. You never know you may like it.

Tyler

Darin Jordan
04-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Also the reason I see why electrics are getting anywhere with the gas guys is because they have been showing an interest with them now. They didn't before.

Mark,

I think we both know that's not really the case... They didn't show any interest in them before because they couldn't do what they can do now. So maybe it's really just a matter of the technology putting the performance level up to an interesting point that has caught there attention.

Might also have something to do with many out there SHOWING them what is possible... You included! :beerchug: Speaking of which... I'll try to get time to upload those videos of your SAW runs last weekend... I think I caught a few of them.

H2OCamel
04-22-2011, 01:59 PM
So the guys racing electrics at Legg could be the national electrifed-gasser champions? LOL Just give them a different title to distinguish them. I think the points winners suggestion makes sence too! Work your way to the top. I like that FE is getting more interest and acceptance.

D. Newland
04-22-2011, 02:17 PM
By the Power Vested In Me by the NAMBA Organization, He/She who wins a nationally recognized class at the FE Nat's is deemed the National Champion.

I have no idea if I have that power, but I said it. And, trust me, anyone running FE at the Gas Nat's will understand and approve what I said above.

It's a non-issue, guys. Really. Take it from a guy that won P Mono at the Gas Nat's in '09.

Now, let's get attention back to the Waveblaster's FE Nat's event. Sorry for the distraction.

Steven Vaccaro
04-22-2011, 04:41 PM
By the Power Vested In Me by the NAMBA Organization, He/She who wins a nationally recognized class at the FE Nat's is deemed the National Champion.

I have no idea if I have that power, but I said it. And, trust me, anyone running FE at the Gas Nat's will understand and approve what I said above.

It's a non-issue, guys. Really. Take it from a guy that won P Mono at the Gas Nat's in '09.

Now, let's get attention back to the Waveblaster's FE Nat's event. Sorry for the distraction.

Boy this whole issue really ruined my day :sarcasm1:, but all is good now that the Great King Newland fixed it. :thumbup1:

line6
04-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Dave u the man lol. I like it. it was talked about combining the nat as one big event. I personaly would not want that to happen. I think its a great idea for district races where you just have like five or so classes. But the nats has just to many classes it would end up being somthing like a eight day event just to long imo.

Jason Sims

Darin Jordan
04-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Boy this whole issue really ruined my day :sarcasm1:, but all is good now that the Great King Newland fixed it. :thumbup1:

I knew that guy got selected for the job for a reason! Devine Intervention!!

:bounce:

TheShaughnessy
04-23-2011, 02:25 AM
Is p limited hydro the same thing as spec? Are you limited to proboat 1500, aq 1800, aq 2030, etc. That would be more affordable to put together then any motor choice.

Can i run a MG in p limited hydro or does it have to be a 3 point hydro.

How horribly bad would a SV27 do in p mono?

Tossing around the idea of a titan 33" for p mono or a ul1/insane hydro for p limited.

Was really hopping there was gonna be a limited spec offshore class cause I've been working on that left turn

Darin Jordan
04-23-2011, 02:48 AM
Is p limited hydro the same thing as spec? Are you limited to proboat 1500, aq 1800, aq 2030, etc. That would be more affordable to put together then any motor choice.

Can i run a MG in p limited hydro or does it have to be a 3 point hydro.

How horribly bad would a SV27 do in p mono?

Tossing around the idea of a titan 33" for p mono or a ul1/insane hydro for p limited.

Was really hopping there was gonna be a limited spec offshore class cause I've been working on that left turn

P-Spec will become P-Limited, and more importantly, become a REAL NAMBA class, if the rule proposal out for member voting in the last PropWash gets passed. My YES Vote has already been submitted!!

P-Limited Sport Hydro (P-LSHJ) has to be a Sport Hydro, which means it must meet the rules in the NAMBA rulebook for Sport Hydro. The MG would not be a legal boat, as the rules specify that it must be a three point hydro.

The SV27, in the company down there, would get slaughtered. You might not even keep it upright for more than a lap or to.

Do yourself a favor and build the 33" Titan for P-Mono, if that's what you have. The UL1 powered Insane FE30, if that's what you were referring to, would be a perfect choice for the P-LSH class.

TheShaughnessy
04-23-2011, 04:28 AM
was just reading over the rule book and all the motor choices are brushed motors... are there any other brushless motor choices other then the ones i already listed.

Is bigger going to be better? was looking at the df 24 but it seems kinda small for p. The ul1 is 27. Is the insane fe30 going to be a lot more stable? Being the ul1 is much cheaper i'd be willing to fix the sponsons AOA. I found a miss elam hull NIB for 127 plus shipping. Not to many ul1 hulls floating about right now that i can find. I don't even know where to look at an insane hull other then Tony.

Leaning towards limited hydro cause I don't want to spend the money on a p mono power plant when i have a spec powerplant ready to drop in a hull.

I really don't see how picking these two classes based on marketing or whatever reason they were chosen is a bad thing.

If boats are ready to go for these classes, then they should grow faster then any other class. I don't know anything about Jeff aside from maybe seeing him at the last gas race at legg lake but what does it matter if the boats he makes happen to fit into the two chosen classes.

If i didn't want to see the hobby grow I would just keep running my boats instead of stopping to talk to everyone that has a question about it. Ie How much? Run time? What happens if it dies? etc. You know you've heard them.

I was wanting to set up a p mono anyhow but Tony has got me pretty interested in the hydros especially since i don't have one... yet.

Not 100% on what my point is, i just want to race and not worry about if the class is gonna meet the 5 boat min.

T.S.Davis
04-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Darin, try the Kettle Corn. Orville is your freind. So awesome.

Maybe we should be doing something along these lines at all the nats events. Only call the offereings "exhibition". Think of it as an effort to expose each fuel source to other options. The FE nats could offer a couple gas classes or maybe a nitro class or two. Not to crown champs but just to show the masses what else is out there. We're all model boaters first.

We did something like this at one of Twister Gold cup races up here. Gail force winds made it a bugger but it was exposure for FE we wouldn't have gotten otherwise. IMPBA did that at Canadian FE nats a couple years ago. Worked out pretty well.

Combined races are good for the hobby. However, for the record, I'm against a combined nats. Not because I'm anti-fosil fuel. Just because I'm anti 3 week long nationals. I'm also anti-event where some classes get squeezed out due to time.

For the gas nats it might have been fun to put on the big show them with some T mono. Size will matter to gas guys. Around here they say things like "awe how cute" when they see our P spec boats.

LuckyDuc
04-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Darin, try the Kettle Corn. Orville is your freind. So awesome.

Maybe we should be doing something along these lines at all the nats events. Only call the offereings "exhibition". Think of it as an effort to expose each fuel source to other options. The FE nats could offer a couple gas classes or maybe a nitro class or two. Not to crown champs but just to show the masses what else is out there. We're all model boaters first.

We did something like this at one of Twister Gold cup races up here. Gail force winds made it a bugger but it was exposure for FE we wouldn't have gotten otherwise. IMPBA did that at Canadian FE nats a couple years ago. Worked out pretty well.

Combined races are good for the hobby. However, for the record, I'm against a combined nats. Not because I'm anti-fosil fuel. Just because I'm anti 3 week long nationals. I'm also anti-event where some classes get squeezed out due to time.

For the gas nats it might have been fun to put on the big show them with some T mono. Size will matter to gas guys. Around here they say things like "awe how cute" when they see our P spec boats.

Exhibiting a gas and a nitro class would be a great idea at future FE Nationals... provided that the venue allows for such. Most hosting clubs have both a nitro and gas contingent. They could show case one or two of their popular classes to expose FE racers to that side of the hobby as well. Heck, many of us FE racers have a gas and/or nitro boat already. The hosting club would be responsible for picking the exhibition classes.

I feel the same about ONE combined Gas, Nitro, FE Nats event. I think anything over 4 days is too long.

D. Newland
04-23-2011, 11:41 AM
I had a response about the 2012 Nat's discussion, but I want to hold off on discussing until Ken get's his event completed. We need to have our focus on the 2011 Waveblaster event and I feel I've been enough of a distraction the past few days.

Ken and the rest of the Waveblasters-Great job so far on your event and I know you guys are going to put on one hell of a show!

Darin Jordan
04-23-2011, 12:02 PM
was just reading over the rule book and all the motor choices are brushed motors... are there any other brushless motor choices other then the ones i already listed.

A lot of questions to answer, but let me see if I can summarize...

The P-Limited Hydro class is going to be powered with the new P-Limited ruleset, which is NOT currently in the rulebook. It will be later this spring, if the rules pass that are out for vote.

Motors you can run are:

AQ UL1, SV27, or SV27R
PB BJ26, Stiletto
Himax 3630-1500 (same as BJ26)

Any ESC.

A UL1 would be legal, and a well driven, well setup boat, would be competitive. However, the FE30s are FAST and stable, while the UL1 is a little more flighter and harder to get setup right. Lots of hull options out there, but most require converting a .21 Nitro boat or building something yourself. Currently, the Insane FE30 and the Whiplash are the two top boats in this class, generally speaking, based on the results from bigger races over the past year.

For P-Mono, you are going to want something at least 30" long. A smaller boat will be fast enough with the right power, but you have to deal with 5 other boats and race water. With all that power, you'll need something that can handle. Again, the Insane Mono (I think it's 34"??) is a good choice, as is the Delta Force 33. I think your Titan is also 33", so it would be a good choice as well.

Chances are, most of the P-Monos showing up will be the Insane boats, with a Delta Force 33 thrown in here and there, and I'm pretty sure all of them will be powered by a Neu 1521 or 1527 with 4S2P and big ESCs... Just the nature of that game.

Hope this helps some.

TheShaughnessy
04-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Chances are, most of the P-Monos showing up will be the Insane boats, with a Delta Force 33 thrown in here and there, and I'm pretty sure all of them will be powered by a Neu 1521 or 1527 with 4S2P and big ESCs... Just the nature of that game.

This is what i figured so i thought it would be a little easier, financially speaking to get in to p limited hydro.

Pretty sure the Insane mono is 34, the titan is 33, but i don't have one i just like the way they look.

For p mono i would need a hull, motor esc, and hardware maybe batteries because im not sure what i have, even at 4s2p would like the amp draw of a Neu.

For p limited all i would need is a hull, hardware and maybe a prop as i have a ul1 or a proboat 1500 i can put in it with a 120 amp speedo that seems to do fine with either motor well past the 2 min mark.

I cant remember what Tony said the price was on the FE30 but with hardware i think it is close to a ul1 rtr, but doesn't need as much work.

Yes this does help.

Do the drivers use spotters? Was talking to a guy last night that used to run a nitro shovel nose hydro and he was talking to me about having a spotter to watch for downed boats and anything else you may want to know about out there. Does your pitman (provided you have one) do this?

I was more focused on the boats then the drivers at the oval races i went to.

Also he mentioned something about the prop having to be enclosed in a box while on the stand. Am i gonna need to build a stand that extends past the prop for safety?

I know it takes time to answer these so if there is somewhere i can read about all this feel free to direct me there. Just trying to make sure all my ducks are in a row so i don't look like too much of an ass for my first race.

Found a 1/12 fourmula hull for 100. it is 26 inches with a 14 inch beam. also finding a lot of 24 inch hydros. Are those gonna get flip happy during a race?