PDA

View Full Version : New charger suggestions

goldendesign04
01-23-2008, 11:02 AM
had a wicked storm front come in yesterday night an got hit by a lightning strike, fried my lipo charger an a 3s pack :cursing: (puffed out all to H***) not too worried about the pack was a cheapie from UH so was the charger. I have only one poly rc pack but was going to order another 4 or so. So a good charger to run these, going to have a Polyquest LiPo balancer from Mich. Maniac. Any suggestions? Also since I just got the one polyrc pack will it be ok sitting for a week or two without charging it? Got it new in the mail a week ago today an havent done anything with it except attach deans. Im new to the FE side of rc so some of this stuff is greek to me.

On a side note the FE calc by spud how do you program a lipo cell system into the battery selection? Is it at all accurate when inputed correctly, I may have done it wrong since its run time estimate is quite small, less than 2min with 3700 mah 7.4 on a lehner 5300 an etti 125A esc, thats with a variety of diff. prop options.

Thanks for the input
-Wayne

Ctonez
01-23-2008, 01:01 PM
I really like the Cellpro by FMAdirect. I got the universal adaptor with it...reasonably priced, easy and safe.
balances and charges at the same time...

goldendesign04
01-23-2008, 02:38 PM
where can one of those be had? I definetly like the ease of use factor:biggrin:

Thanks!
-Wayne

Flying Scotsman
01-23-2008, 03:00 PM
I really like the Cellpro by FMAdirect. I got the universal adaptor with it...reasonably priced, easy and safe.
balances and charges at the same time...

Be careful, I have 2 Cellpro 4S chargers. They are great but require a power supply and different adaptors for many Li-PO manufacturers.

Douggie

Doby
01-23-2008, 03:12 PM
I have a 4S and 6S Cellpro and they work great,,,but like the Scottsman says, adapters are required,,,as with all chargers and LiPos when you mix and match manufacturers:cursing:

God forbid that all of them would get together and use a common plug, that would be to easy for the consumer:doh:

Ctonez
01-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Be careful, I have 2 Cellpro 4S chargers. They are great but require a power supply and different adaptors for many Li-PO manufacturers.

Douggie

Yup, that's right...you certainly want to be sure it'll handle the brand that you use. The adaptor I have handles TP and PolyQuest taps. That's covers all that I use currently.

Goldendesign, check out http://www.fmadirect.com.

-Corey

JimClark
01-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Heck adaptors are required for all chargers unless you only use a charger from a manufacturer that also makes lipos. There is no standard. I have cell pros and they are great I only have one adaptor and I only run batteries that have taps that will fit that adaptor.
Jim

Flying Scotsman
01-23-2008, 03:18 PM
God forbid that all of them would get together and use a common plug, that would be to easy for the consumer:doh:

No kidding Doby :iagree:

Flying Scotsman
01-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Another suggestion buy a charger that requires a seperate power supply. The power supply should be capable of at least 20 amps. This will not limit you in the future, as far as future purchases :smile:

Douggie

goldendesign04
01-23-2008, 05:15 PM
so pick up this http://www.fmadirect.com/detail.htm?item=2218&section=45
this http://www.fmadirect.com/detail.htm?item=2262&section=45
and this http://www.fmadirect.com/detail.htm?item=2125&section=45 ????
Is this the adaptor Id use for Polyrc from battlepacks?

Thank you gentlemen for the quick response, I was worried my charger wasnt going to fit the bill an looks like I'll have to downsize the battery order just a tad, maybe three more to make an even four:glare: darn gold market if youd only just hurry up an hit $1000an oz ! Course then youd guys be answering a whole lot more questions:olleyes:

-Wayne

Ctonez
01-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Those are the adaptor and charger I use. I use a powersupply with a bit more oomph. My Power supply is from R Shack - 15 amps.

SJFE
01-23-2008, 06:42 PM
The new Hyperion balance charger has AC built in and comes with PQ taps for 139.99. My solution the the problem was to buy an run one type of lipo pack. Am I limited by this??? no not really just les headaches.

Flying Scotsman
01-23-2008, 07:28 PM
The new Hyperion balance charger has AC built in and comes with PQ taps for 139.99. My solution the the problem was to buy an run one type of lipo pack. Am I limited by this??? no not really just les headaches.

Tom, I have bought chargers with integral power supplies. I wish now, knowing my love of FE boating. I had bought seperate power supplies and also buy the best quality and power output you can afford.

Douggie

FE_Chris
01-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Im stuck on the Hyperion chargers. Does'nt look like they make a cheap one, they are all nice!

tell you guys what, it's sure gonna be nice when Steven makes the switch to lipo.

Flying Scotsman
01-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Im stuck on the Hyperion chargers. Does'nt look like they make a cheap one, they are all nice!

tell you guys what, it's sure gonna be nice when Steven makes the switch to lipo.

Chrissie, he is, I would presume looking at legal obligations.

Douggie

goldendesign04
01-24-2008, 03:17 PM
where would i go to look at hyperion chargers?

also doug, why do you feel a seperate power supply is better?

-Wayne

Flying Scotsman
01-24-2008, 03:35 PM
where would i go to look at hyperion chargers?

also doug, why do you feel a seperate power supply is better?

-Wayne

Wayne, very simple, a seperate power supply leaves you with an option to purchase better chargers as they are introduced in the future, and believe me they are introduced every 6 months :w00t:

Douggie.

Chrissie, may disagree with this comment

FE_Chris
01-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Actually I agree with the comment, Wayne. and Doug I spell it with a Y :D

Checkout B-P-P.com they stock everything you need.

On a side note I use one 1210i, one 0610i and I have two LBA10 balancers. All pretty much new, so I can't tell you they last forever, but they are top of the line IMO. Nice stuff, works well, lots of features.

Wayne, very simple, a seperate power supply leaves you with an option to purchase better chargers as they are introduced in the future, and believe me they are introduced every 6 months :w00t:

Douggie.

Chrissie, may disagree with this comment

goldendesign04
01-24-2008, 04:32 PM
so.... then this charger http://www.b-p-p.com/proddetail.php?prod=f_EOS0606i
would work with 2s an even 4s packs, looks to be a nice product.
Doug, I see your point but I see no need for me to upgrade my charger on a 6month or yearly basis, I like to spend my money on my hobby but since racing is a distant option at best, Id like to not spend too too much right out the gate. I think the above charger an even the one suggested by you look to be top notch, I'll only really have 4 or 6, 2s1p lipos since my fleet is slowly being built (graupner rigger, SW cat, SV27 nitro conversion) I think that amount of power an charging capabilities would be sufficient, dont you think?

Thank you all for chiming in, it is truly appreciated.
-Wayne

Ill let you know which I choose

Eyekandyboats
01-24-2008, 04:36 PM

Douggie.

Yep :)

Bill-SOCAL
01-24-2008, 05:23 PM

I have a Hyperion 1210i and two of the new EOS0610i DUO chargers. I really like them. Easy to use and work very well.

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/eos/

FE_Chris
01-25-2008, 06:23 AM
Wayne, if thats what your going to be doing, and thats what you plan, and you stick with a plan (unlike most of us it seem lol) then I think the 0606i charger should work well for you. Chargers and support equipment, plugs, wire, man all thats expensive. I don't blame anyone at all for not paying extra, if their just simply not going to use the stuff......

Besides....I know these chargers are worth good coin used. A year from now, I bet you can still cop 100$ if not more for that bad boy if you keep it in like new condition, so I would'nt sweat having to upgrade.

goldendesign04
01-25-2008, 11:05 AM
yeah, that is the plan at least, the plan as of today! Tomorrow, next month, next winter.....who knows! LOL course, I did start with a nitro, then bought another hull 3 months after that, then converted to electric (godsent if you ask me know)
an now the fleet is three deep, none completed since I seem to buy everything all at once :doh: should be middle next month an Ill have three to run that are outfitted with more goodies than I will use but thats a hobby right?
Just like my helis got a small havoc turd,then a cx2 then a pro 3d an now have two raptor 600 brushless one for stunt the other for highspeed video. Going to have to sell off the heli stuff to finance the boats, thats easily justified though, I cant crash my boat JUST because of gravity:olleyes:
So...looks like the hyperion charger will work out the best I like the PQ batts an all my boats are small enough to like 2s1p/4s2p how ever you want to see it. Good fun an once everythings in place I'll keep you all informed of the progress.

Thank you
-Wayne

SJFE
01-25-2008, 12:34 PM
I believe that I expressed my opinion on the subject of built in ac. I failed to mention I do not charge my packs in the field. I also do own a 20amp peak power supply. I am in agreement that owning a seprate power supply is the best way to go. Just for clarification...

goldendesign04
01-25-2008, 02:53 PM
other than interchangability with future chargers, what would I gain from using a seperate power supply?

SJFE
01-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Well what if the internal ac fails? Then you have a defective charger.

FE_Chris
01-25-2008, 05:45 PM
Well what if the internal ac fails? Then you have a defective charger.

Good point. :iagree: