PDA

View Full Version : Paint Tips

Flying Scotsman
01-22-2008, 12:54 PM
First off read the article in the recent RC boat modeller. There is a ton of fantastic info for a pro finish. If that is too complex for you and you wish a good finish, here are my tips for a gelcoat finish

1) Wash the hull with either Isopropanol or a strong detergent to remove any wax etc.
2) inspect the hull for damage...deep scratches or mold faults. If none present go to final finish.
3) If you have faults, fix them now and you will be faced with painting to cover up the defects.
4) fill the defects with an automotive FINE fill bondo product and and do not apply too much...thin layers with sanding after the fill has dried.
5) If you are happy with the original gelcoat finish apart from minor surface defects...scratches that can not be felt with your finger nail or haze of the finish and do not wish to paint. Go to polishing.
6) OK, if you have a hull that needs painting...scuff all areas to be painted with 600 or 800 WET sandpaper. Lay down a prime coat (white is best for true colour rendition) WET sand again with 1000 or higher paper.
7) Now you can paint...Make sure that you spray light coats and allow at least 10 minutes dry time between coats. Spray clear coat after 48 hours if you desire this finish. I do not , as it is very hard to fix up damage in the future.
8) Allow the finish to dry for a mininum of 7 days and polish
9) Those that were happy with their original finish can now begin.
10) Polish the finish using a non wax clearcoat cleaner/ polish, such as PRO R40 DUZ-ALL using a foam applicator and polish till you see a shine. This step may not be nescessary for a well painted finish.
Now finish off with a fine polish such as PRO R-21 and then wax with carnuba containing no cleaners....Voila a great finish.
Please note I only mention Pro products as I have used many other and have found them very easy to use.

Douggie

Mich. Maniac
01-22-2008, 06:39 PM
I am no king of painting. I do boast I have been trained and happened to have access to products and a spray booth. My suggestion to anyone who is looking for that automotive glossy constant color finish is to go to a professional. Talk to some of them at a body shop. these guys are highly underpaid for what they do. They may just take you up on a good deal just cause some actually love to do that sort of thing. I traded a case of beer for a spray job on my mustang years ago when they were just getting used to their new bake booth. You never know. Great thread Douggie. Some great basics on getting the final results you are looking for.

Flying Scotsman
01-22-2008, 06:53 PM
I am no king of painting. I do boast I have been trained and happened to have access to products and a spray booth. My suggestion to anyone who is looking for that automotive glossy constant color finish is to go to a professional. Talk to some of them at a body shop. these guys are highly underpaid for what they do. They may just take you up on a good deal just cause some actually love to do that sort of thing. I traded a case of beer for a spray job on my mustang years ago when they were just getting used to their new bake booth. You never know. Great thread Douggie. Some great basics on getting the final results you are looking for.

Thanks, Mich Maniac ..the basics was all I was trying to get across and your other comments are very true

Douggie