PDA

View Full Version : Strut bushing falls out

PDR447
04-16-2011, 10:43 PM
I went for a run yesterday and when I got home I noticed the brass bushing had slid out of the strut and was hanging part way into the strut/dog gap. I tried pushing it back in but it won't stay in there. Everything was well greased so I'm not sure why this happened. Is it supposed to be epoxied in there? Should I replace it with a new one or re-use it? I don't have much run time on the boat really. Also, what's the word on kintec's replacement?

Thanks

JackBlack26
04-17-2011, 12:07 AM
Don't use epoxy. Red locktite or CA works well. In case you need to change them out, heat will burn both away and make it easy to replace.

PDR447
04-17-2011, 12:03 PM
ok, simple enough. so as for why it fell out, does that mean it got hot?

also, has anyone gone with kintec's upgraded bushing?

Ripper
04-18-2011, 06:35 PM
I've wanted to get a new greasable bushing but they have been out of stock for awhile. I did get a upgraded flex shaft and teflon bushing but the teflon bushing will not go in the tube from the top, should I try it from the bottom? It only goes in about half and inch. Is there a trick?

UrbanPoser
04-19-2011, 03:43 AM
I've wanted to get a new greasable bushing but they have been out of stock for awhile. I did get a upgraded flex shaft and teflon bushing but the teflon bushing will not go in the tube from the top, should I try it from the bottom? It only goes in about half and inch. Is there a trick?

If you are talking about the long, full-length teflon liner, you may need to stretch it to get it in:

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=23811

Stick a largish nail or something metal in each end, grab both ends with pliers and pull. You may need to do this several times. Check for fit each time. You only want enough stretch to just fit it in without making it too loose. It will slowly creep back and tighten up in the brass tubing. then just trim off the munged part from the prop end (before inserting the final time), trim the excess from the motor end and you are good to go.

Ripper
04-19-2011, 06:20 AM
If you are talking about the long, full-length teflon liner, you may need to stretch it to get it in:

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=23811

Stick a largish nail or something metal in each end, grab both ends with pliers and pull. You may need to do this several times. Check for fit each time. You only want enough stretch to just fit it in without making it too loose. It will slowly creep back and tighten up in the brass tubing. then just trim off the munged part from the prop end (before inserting the final time), trim the excess from the motor end and you are good to go.

Thanks, never did it before and knew there was a trick to getting it in just couldn't get it on my own. I'll let you know how it goes.
thanks again.:thumbup1: